[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lenny got screwed, not just with the wedding, but with the events leading up to and the aftermath. I don't think that it is a terrible idea in theory for Leonard to have slipped, feel terrible about i

I know this might be a ca-ray-zeee idea but can we like not have a Shenny panic attack every time Sheldon and Penny have a scene together or Jim dares to say that he likes -gasp!- working with Kaley!?

Sheldon does depend too much on Lenny as parental figures, but the ironic thing is that I think Lenny also depend a great deal on Sheldon. They kind of use him to not have to deal with issues in their

Posted Images

Leonard didn't help by pushing her to answer either

But Penny knew there was going to be trouble when she didn't say ILY in bed. her look kind of said it all.

Yeah i understand the process. I just dont like his methods haha. 

I also think it deflected the problems Lenny were having and put the blame on Wheaton for the breakup. many still hate him.

• Like 1

Leonard lied when he said he was fine about her not recipucating immediatly. And Penny lied when said they would be fine. End of day regardless of Wheton putting the nail in coffin. Lenny  should of never aired their conflict in public, that was their mistake. And i understand that. 

Edited by 3ku11

As smart as Leonard is he also is not smart in a lot a ways. Leonard was moving much too fast in the relationship as far as Penny was concerned. If he was smart he would have realized that he was putting Penny in the same position that Dr. Stephanie put Leonard in, when she was moving too fast as far as Leonard was concerned.  Noticed that they broke up though we didn't see it. It happened to Leonard, but he fails to see the connection.

• Like 2

As smart as Leonard is he also is not smart in a lot a ways. Leonard was moving much too fast in the relationship as far as Penny was concerned. If he was smart he would have realized that he was putting Penny in the same position that Dr. Stephanie put Leonard in, when she was moving too fast as far as Leonard was concerned.  Noticed that they broke up though we didn't see it. It happened to Leonard, but he fails to see the connection.

He may see it. He lets his emotions take over, says stuff then regrets it once his head catches up.

The tone was set for this at the end of the first episode 1.01. Fortunately Penny was out of earshot. Imagine if she had heard.

Edited by djsurrey

He may see it. He lets his emotions take over, says stuff then regrets it once his head catches up.

The tone was set for this at the end of the first episode 1.01. Fortunately Penny was out of earshot. Imagine if she had heard.

that hes already thinking babies? Same way i presume Robin reacted when Ted told her loves her when they just met. 

that hes already thinking babies? Same way i presume Robin reacted when Ted told her loves her when they just met. 

Yes, funny line but if Penny had heard Leonard would have come across a bit like early Howard.

Yes, funny line but if Penny had heard Leonard would have come across a bit like early Howard.

Well yes but as the premise is Leonard is the mackdaddy of the guys. Penny was always going to choose Leonard, so she clearly meant to not hear that. 

the whole key with Wheaton was to win at bowling. it worked.

Yeah i understand the process. I just dont like his methods haha. 

You need to remember, this is a man who invented the death of his own grandmother, in order to win a card game.

He is also the ass who egged on the Lenny fight during his podcast in season 8.  If the show wants to do something funny, let the guys get their revenge on WHEATON!

I wonder how much Leonard and Penny would like Wheaton if they understood what he actually did at the bowling alley and especially why he did it.

Edited by SRAM
  • Like 2

I know this isn't a ship, but one pairing I hope they don't put back together is Raj and Stuart (Stewart...idk). I like them as friends, but when they were hanging out together alone I just felt like they were so sad to watch.

My God, 3ku11.....pick an avatar and stick with it!!

Well seeing its my account, and free will, i.can do.what i.want when i.damn please thank you. I.dont.think.you.have any.right or privlidge to control or what i have as my avatar. The fact you.decided to  make your post public says it all. If i want to change my avatar when i see fit i well, its not illegal. 

Well seeing its my account, and free will, i.can do.what i.want when i.damn please thank you. I.dont.think.you.have any.right or privlidge to control or what i have as my avatar. The fact you.decided to  make your post public says it all. If i want to change my avatar when i see fit i well, its not illegal. 

Well you sound like Penny looks in your avatar, thats nice....:icon_biggrin:

Relax, just let it go.

Here is nice picture of J & K to cheer you up.

105927482-the-cast-of-the-big-bang-theory-johnny-gettyimages.jpg

• Like 6

Chill out....I didn't mean it like that.  I wake up and see a new avatar and think , "Cool another new member." And when I see its you and you've changed your avatar (again), I chuckled.  I meant it in a GOOD way.  Jeesh 

• Like 2

And it's like changing one's outfit. It's a form of self expression. You go... um, person!

Quoting things is bloody complicated now! Trying to reference SRAM's comment above;

"What is twaddle is someone saying they don't want relationships in the show, when the whole show theme was about the Leonard and Penny relationship.  The biggest change in the show over the seasons is the loss of that theme and the conversions of the show to center around Sheldon"

Anyroad.

Just to be a pedantic git, the "theme" of the show is not technically Leonard and Penny's relationship. The theme of the show is the contrast of worlds, according to the official descriptions. (The fact that it now bears utterly no resemblance to its original conception is another matter.)

For those interested;
IMDb
"A woman who moves into an apartment across the hall from two brilliant but socially awkward physicists shows them how little they know about life outside of the laboratory."

Wikipedia
"The show is primarily centered on five characters living in Pasadena, California: Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper, both physicists at Caltech, who share an apartment; Penny, a waitress and aspiring actress who later becomes a pharmaceutical representative, and who lives across the hall; and Leonard and Sheldon's similarly geeky and socially awkward friends and co-workers, aerospace engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Raj Koothrappali. Geekiness and intellect of the four guys is contrasted for comic effect with Penny's social skills and common sense."

TV.COM
"The Big Bang Theory, a sitcom that shows what happens when hyperintelligent roommates/physicists Sheldon and Leonard meet Penny, a beautiful woman moving in next door--and realize they know next to nothing about life outside of the lab. Rounding out the crew are the smarmy Wolowitz, who thinks he's as sexy as he is brainy, and Koothrappali, who suffers from an inability to speak in the presence of a woman. The show distinguishes itself by being unafraid to toss scientific references and technobabble into an otherwise standard sitcom, even employing a physicist to keep things accurate. In doing so, it allows Sheldon and Leonard to do for science what Frasier's Crane brothers did for fine dining, art, and opera."

CBS/Google
"Mensa-fied best friends and roommates Leonard and Sheldon, physicists who work at the California Institute of Technology, may be able to tell everybody more than they want to know about quantum physics, but getting through most basic social situations, especially ones involving women, totally baffles them. How lucky, then, that babe-alicious waitress/aspiring actress Penny moves in next door. Frequently seen hanging out with Leonard and Sheldon are friends and fellow Caltech scientists Wolowitz and Koothrappali. Will worlds collide? Does Einstein theorize in the woods?"

Etc.

The L/P relationship is certainly important (and has become very prominent now), but I'd suggest it's an ongoing plot line (begun with the frequently cited line of smart and beautiful babies), rather than a theme. If one wanted to be pedantic again, the duo they actually dealt with most frequently, and spent the most screen time on (and thereby focused on the most) in Seasons 1-3, was Sheldon and Penny. Quite reasonably in my opinion. If any pairing represents the show's theme of the contrast of worlds, it's those two.

But the point is, the original show was about two friends living together, an outsider and an underdog, if you will. Penny turns up as a sort of catalyst, and you have the tiny, individualized Greek Chorus going on in the background in the form of Raj and Howard.

The Leonard/Penny interaction was indeed of the romantic type, but it wasn't of the permanent "till marriage, mortgage and death" variety, it was delicately dealt with, and it didn't overwhelm the show.

Now the show has turned from following a group of individuals and ONE subtle relationship into a hellbent exploration of FOUR permanent romantic relationships, and that's fine in itself (though not my snifter of whisky) but it's very far from the original concept, and I think it's important to be accurate on the matter of what the show's original intention was.

And thus also why a certain segment of fans are upset at this change.

And why it is not at all "twaddle" to wish (but not expect, I'm not an idiot) for a return to the old dynamic.

On that note;

Skull -
Apologies for referring to your statement as "twaddle".
It was meant in a vaguely bantery way, but evidently I didn’t put enough effort into it. What nettled me was that you were by definition professing to speak for everybody when you said "Everybody who watches TBBT has had enough of Penny and Sheldon scenes".  Not being a complete Luddite, I am on social media as well, and have never seen this “consensus” you speak of. In fact I’ve never seen anyone (who's not a "diehard" shipper) say anything like it. Ever. As said before, outside of here, Sheldon and Penny scenes are actually quite popular. So I really don’t know what you’re talking about there mate. The only thing vaguely resembling a consensus I've seen on TBBT's social media seems to be that cretinous waffle about Penny's haircut apparently removing her acting ability.

Regarding your earlier post, by this “been there, done that” logic of wanting fresh, new dynamics, we can’t have any more Leonard and Penny scenes either. Or Sheldon and Leonard. All three pairings have been around since the beginning. So if no more Shenny, then no more Lenny or Shelnard. By your logic. And romantic relationships aren’t more valid or interesting than friendships, so exploring a romance doesn't take precedence over exploring or deepening said friendship. It’s all, again, relative. Personally, sitcom relationships of the romantic variety bore holes in my spirit, and the vim off my verve. But I know other people like them.

The only other television show I heavily and ridiculously got into was X Files. I used to run around in a trench coat pretending to be Mulder for heaven's sake. I "shipped" Scully and Mulder certainly, but I never wanted them to DO anything about it.
Bad luck for me eh?

So there's a difference between appreciating the concept of romantic relationships and wanting to watch them go through every plodding step on television. On TBBT I'd prefer they stuck to comedy and friendship, that's all.

Let's just say you want less Sheldon and Penny scenes, and I want more of the blighters, and leave it at that?

You're more liable to get your wish though, there's been bugger-all Sheldon & Penny lately. My hopes are rather dim for Season 9.
Although I don't recognise Season 5-8 Sheldon, so technically it should be irrelevant to me whether he's scene-paired with Penny, Amy, Leonard, or the back half of a pantomime horse.

But humans are fickle and old habits die hard with a vengeance etc.

Tensor dear fellow, you have permission to move this post (and maybe any others related to it?) to Shipping Lanes as suggested, so it's not cluttering up the joint. 

NB - That line from TV.Com- "
it allows Sheldon and Leonard to do for science what Frasier's Crane brothers did for fine dining, art, and opera."
That's an interesting point, isn't it? Well I think so...

Edited by Count Wally de Honk
Quote befuddlement.
  • Like 2

.....Quoting........

so...

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I agree with you almost.
I generally like the interaction of all the characters.

ba-umf  :superstition:

-
Apologies for referring to your statement as "twaddle".
It was meant in a vaguely bantery way, but evidently I didn’t put enough effort into it. What nettled me was that you were by definition professing to speak for everybody when you said "Everybody who watches TBBT has had enough of Penny and Sheldon scenes".  Not being a complete Luddite, I am on social media as well, and have never seen this “consensus” you speak of. 

This is something that I find a little hard to deal with at times.   It's the generalization that everbody feels that way.   Generalizations in any topic bother me because generalizations do not speak for me.    Find a different way of saying of what you are trying to say.  E.g.  Speak about yourself and your feelings.  "I feel I have had enough of Penny and Sheldon scenes and there may be others who agree with me." or take out the I feel part and simply state your opinion.  Don't drag me into it with the term "everybody".

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic