[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

Tensor

Chill out....I didn't mean it like that.  I wake up and see a new avatar and think , "Cool another new member." And when I see its you and you've changed your avatar (again), I chuckled.  I meant it in a GOOD way.  Jeesh 

I know where you're coming from. I've been on another forum for 12 years, and have had the same avatar for all 12 years. I look at an avatar and recognize many of the people I know from their avatar. When someone you kinda know on a forum changes their avatar it kinda throws you for a loop.

But guys, chill out. I think the thing about the avatars was said in a jokingly fashion. No harm done. I like having always the same avatar, some other people like changing as often as they can. It's all good. Also, thank you Chiany for the beautiful Johnny-Kaley picture. I  L O V E  it !!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 6

Its a struggle though for any common ground. Its very passive agressive. Watching this character wait and wait, but Sheldon just wont budge. Well he ever be capable to give her what she needs physically. Im not sure, all i kno is i hope theirs resolution soon as its wearing thin. Does Sheldon love Amy? Logically yes, but based on actions he has a funny way of showing it jmo. 

Hmm...This is just an observation and not an attack, it seems like Lenny shippers have a hard time understanding the Sheldon/Amy relationship because they're more into "normalcy" and the conventionally romantic things like sex, kisses, handholding etc. They find LP relatable and realistic whearas SA is just strange.

Also since a lot of them are guys, they probably enjoy the idea of "geek gets the hot girl".

• Like 9

Hmm...This is just an observation and not an attack, it seems like Lenny shippers have a hard time understanding the Sheldon/Amy relationship because they're more into "normalcy" and the conventionally romantic things like sex, kisses, handholding etc. They find LP relatable and realistic whearas SA is just strange.

Also since a lot of them are guys, they probably enjoy the idea of "geek gets the hot girl".

Which is fine, IMO. People relate to different things for different reasons. What drives me up the wall is trying to measure Shamy on the scales of the "normal couple questionnaire" when, by definition, they're not meant to be a "normal couple". And thank cod for that! The show caters to all sorts of dynamics and preferences, which is great, but people need to keep in mind that there are indeed these huge differences between the pairings and that what works for one doesn't work for the other and viceversa. Shamy are never going to evolve in a way that is satisfying to someone who prefers more conventional romantic dynamics. There's a reason why we don't ship each other's ship. 

• Like 9

Which is fine, IMO. People relate to different things for different reasons. What drives me up the wall is trying to measure Shamy on the scales of the "normal couple questionnaire" when, by definition, they're not meant to be a "normal couple". And thank cod for that! The show caters to all sorts of dynamics and preferences, which is great, but people need to keep in mind that there are indeed these huge differences between the pairings and that what works for one doesn't work for the other and viceversa. Shamy are never going to evolve in a way that is satisfying to someone who prefers more conventional romantic dynamics. There's a reason why we don't ship each other's ship. 

Oh yeah I know. Like I said, an observation not an attack :icon_wink:

I like all the relationships on the show both the couples (except maybe Raj/Emily) and the friendships (especially Pamy, Shelnard, Shenny and Koothrawolowitz in that order) so I'm not particularly hard to please. But anyway, I do wish there was a bit more respect on this forum. No more Shamy vs Lenny please! They're impossible to compare because they're completely different from each other and putting down one for the sake of the other is just plain rude. I say this on the Shamy thread but it's addressed to everybody really.

• Like 8

Amy is a hot girl.

It's fine that you think that, but I was speaking more about the archetypes that exist in the media. Amy is portrayed as the geeky, socially awkward girl and Penny is portrayed as the hot, outgoing girl.

You're free to find whoever you want attractive but I was just talking about how the characters are treated in-universe.

So if the relationships are so different and shamy are unique. Why do they go on date nights, kisses and spend time together. Isn't that what people in normal relationship do. Sorry just because they haven't had sex or do some things differently makes them special. they still do things that couples do so it's not that unique. Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

So if the relationships are so different and shamy are unique. Why do they go on date nights, kisses and spend time together. Isn't that what people in normal relationship do. Sorry just because they haven't had sex or do some things differently makes them special. they still do things that couples do so it's not that unique. Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

No one said that everything they do in a relationship is different but the way the go about it is.  Yes,  they go on dates and kiss,  but how that comes about is different from the way that did comes about four Lenny or Howardette, etc.  I don't think it is a secret that Shamy is unconventional. 

• Like 1

Yes,  they go on dates and kiss,  but how that comes about is different from the way that did comes about for Lenny or Howardette, etc.

True.

None of the other couples have dates, kissing etc., stipulated in writing.

I don't think it is a secret that Shamy is unconventional. 

Being unconventional doesn't prevent it from being right, sweet, cute, etc.

• Like 2

No one said that everything they do in a relationship is different but the way the go about it is.  Yes,  they go on dates and kiss,  but how that comes about is different from the way that did comes about four Lenny or Howardette, etc.  I don't think it is a secret that Shamy is unconventional. 

All I'm saying is that they are no different to any other couples. Just because they do things differently doesn't make their relationship special. Every relationship is different doesn't make it special. There are couples out there that do not share the same bed because they like their space or do not like kissing or even letting their other half see them naked. People are just different not conventional. Shamy just role it on another level just like all relationships, its never the same. Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

All I'm saying is that they are no different to any other couples. Just because they do things differently doesn't make their relationship special. Every relationship is different doesn't make it special. There are couples out there that do not share the same bed because they like their space or do not like kissing or even letting their other half see them naked. People are just different not conventional. Shamy just role it on another level just like all relationships, its never the same. Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

So do you don't think that Lenny is special?

(blinks) Aren't all relationships special? At least to someone? ShAmy is special to people who like them, and Lenny is special to people who like them. It's all good. I am not sure I see what the argument is here?

Unless what you're saying is that ShAmy aren't special in the sense of unconventional? Well, they sort of are, in-universe, no? It's relatively unusual for people growing up in Western liberal democracies to have never had any experience of romance or sex, and that too by their own volition. And because they are both very cerebral, they approach the relationship in a very programmatic way. There are documents treated as legally binding (even if they are not!). There are 'State of the Relationship' summits. You're absolutely right that there are probably people who approach things in that same super-conscious, process-oriented way. Charles Darwin had a list of Pros and Cons for marrying, Amelia Earhart wrote to the man she married asking to be let go in a year, no fuss, no fault, if things didn't work out. But in-universe, Sheldon and Amy are considered peculiar. Even out in the real world, their behaviour might be considered a tad eccentric.

• Like 4

So do you don't think that Lenny is special?

(blinks) Aren't all relationships special? At least to someone? ShAmy is special to people who like them, and Lenny is special to people who like them. It's all good. I am not sure I see what the argument is here?

Unless what you're saying is that ShAmy aren't special in the sense of unconventional? Well, they sort of are, in-universe, no? It's relatively unusual for people growing up in Western liberal democracies to have never had any experience of romance or sex, and that too by their own volition. And because they are both very cerebral, they approach the relationship in a very programmatic way. There are documents treated as legally binding (even if they are not!). There are 'State of the Relationship' summits. You're absolutely right that there are probably people who approach things in that same super-conscious, process-oriented way. Charles Darwin had a list of Pros and Cons for marrying, Amelia Earhart wrote to the man she married asking to be let go in a year, no fuss, no fault, if things didn't work out. But in-universe, Sheldon and Amy are considered peculiar. Even out in the real world, their behaviour might be considered a tad eccentric.

It's a relationship. My point is all relationships are different not one is special over another. Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Tonstar, was the first part of your post a quotation (the new website sets up umpteen nested quotes, which is why I don't want to quote again)? I don't think I have ever said that Lenny wasn't special. Also, I don't see anyone recently implying this. Am I wrong?

Tonstar, was the first part of your post a quotation (the new website sets up umpteen nested quotes, which is why I don't want to quote again)? I don't think I have ever said that Lenny wasn't special. Also, I don't see anyone recently implying this. Am I wrong?

Sorry I wasn't quoting you. I some how added you to my reply. My mistake. Edit. It's not an argument. I see it as a discussion. :) Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Well, I feel people who even think that a relationship between Sheldon and Amy could work in a normal way really know nothing about relationships.

:scratchhead:

Hee! That sounds like you either don't like the Sheldon/Amy relationship, or you REALLY like it, but don't have a lot of time for 'normal'.......

• Like 2

Amys not hot lol. Shamy aint the first of kind on tv. Had same one on Cheers. I think Lenny are special, as they are so realistically written. Also with their backgrounds and relationships with their parents. They find each other in their selfs. Shamy are two nerds in a relationship, and the charm is they are each others first. But unless they change Sheldons character, cant.see them.progressing beyond any real point, poor Amy lol. 

It perhaps says as much about where some of Season 8s storylines were heading as my own inherent cynicism, when I wonder, just wonder - a slight irritation of the mind - if we are being set up for Lenny NOT ending as an OTP. Has the recent 'humanising/romanticising/sexualising' of Sheldon, and the 'intimacy increases' between Penny and Sheldon been quietly pointing to a radical realignment of at least one couple? After all, this bizarre (to me, others disagree) trashing of the Leonard character/Lenny relationship, together with a shakey, easy to legally dismiss (easy to annul a la Zach/Penny) and easy to ignore (as none of the gang were there) marriage, added to the very unexpected but timely demise of Shame, leave the door open for, what would've seemed just 6 months ago, an impossibility i.e. Shenny? Could they be that audacious?!? The alternative ie crap writing that dumbs down 8 years of dazzling writing and rock solid development, is equally sad to contemplate. If the way they have been writing Lenny over last 12 months represents a purposeful direction or theme, well, I'm almost ready to jump ship. It's too early to call it as "the sky is falling" and I could be completely wrong, a base panic-monger. On the other hand, strange things are happening with these writers.........

It perhaps says as much about where some of Season 8s storylines were heading as my own inherent cynicism, when I wonder, just wonder - a slight irritation of the mind - if we are being set up for Lenny NOT ending as an OTP. Has the recent 'humanising/romanticising/sexualising' of Sheldon, and the 'intimacy increases' between Penny and Sheldon been quietly pointing to a radical realignment of at least one couple? After all, this bizarre (to me, others disagree) trashing of the Leonard character/Lenny relationship, together with a shakey, easy to legally dismiss (easy to annul a la Zach/Penny) and easy to ignore (as none of the gang were there) marriage, added to the very unexpected but timely demise of Shame, leave the door open for, what would've seemed just 6 months ago, an impossibility i.e. Shenny? Could they be that audacious?!? The alternative ie crap writing that dumbs down 8 years of dazzling writing and rock solid development, is equally sad to contemplate. If the way they have been writing Lenny over last 12 months represents a purposeful direction or theme, well, I'm almost ready to jump ship. It's too early to call it as "the sky is falling" and I could be completely wrong, a base panic-monger. On the other hand, strange things are happening with these writers.........

Nobody can say Shenny is 100% impossible because the writers can do whatever crazy thing they want. But for me it is completely unlikely because of the way TBBT was written until now. It's not "The bold and The Beautiful", for heavens sake! So, I really, really don't worry at all about a Shenny development.

• Like 2

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic