[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

Tensor

The perception that it's now the Sheldon Show to me does seem like an issue for the writers. While Sheldon is very much a polarising figure on this forum, the general consensus I get from non obsessive Joe Public is "Sheldon this and Sheldon that". If they, the general public,  like Sheldon so much the way he has been, can the writers really change Sheldon into the person Amy and Lenny want?..

further, this points to some of the deficits with the initial design of the character, and how ingenious the creatives have been with coping with their unexpected success. Shelton was an annoying, confrontational laugh generating square peg, disinterested in human affairs and asexual, which was novel and welcome but which limited his capabilities.  He later became demisexual, around the time it became clear the show would get a longer run (someone will fact check that) which explained his newfound ability to have a potentially sexual relationship, with a partner actually pretty much designed to specification. I think it's noteworthy his partner didn't just appear, she was selected, because he was so out-there no ordinary woman (ie Penny) would plausibly have him. However, whether he is sexual or not, he is still the annoying, confrontational laughter generator.

To make him a suitable life partner they have to tone him down because hey, he has to believable as someone's one and only.... but they still have two seasons to run. And if he is toned down then he is not the annoying, confrontational, laugh generator  they originally built. That hurts the business. But they love him and they know he is what draws the eye - not unlike the flappy inflate-a-dude at my local car wash.  So the creatives are conflicted. They have taken their original square peg and whittled bits away to make it look like he can neatly fit a round hole. But sliding into place neatly is not what the business needs. Meanwhile, those of the audience who love the idea of him slipping smoothly into a round hole are dissaffected. And they will likely hang around in droves to find out what happens next. Unfortunately the creatives need length and have decided to make a show of refinishing their peg. I suspect the rubbing off of the rough bits of Sheldon will take just as long as the show has to run.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 8

As I've said, it depends how you look at it.

After everything Sheldon and Amy have been through, making her stand up for herself because Sheldon shared a pop culture reference with her during a make out session, and that resulting in a break up, even though they didn't break up in three years they were in a romantic relationship, not even after the events following season seven finale, is lazy writing.

Or stop whining when somebody writes something negative about Lenny and move on from the first grade writing level.

From what I've read and experienced personally its not the big things that breaks up couples its smaller things that add up over time Sheldon has done his fair share or things to upset Amy Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

When I said many times I was talking of their whole relationship. Again she had to show him what he had done wrong. Not the first time by far Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Again, by that logic, every couple would be broken up by now, including Lenny.

With most couples it goes both ways in Shamy case it's always Amy giving and forgiving In Sheldon's mind he's never wrong Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

why is Lenny specifically brought up in this discussion? Someone says something about Shamy and you start whining. maybe you should follow your own advice.

• Like 3

From what I've read and experienced personally its not the big things that breaks up couples its smaller things that add up over time Sheldon has done his fair share or things to upset Amy Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Amy and Sheldon are in no way typical. Doubt they will be broken up long. 

Unlike real people Amy was invented for Sheldon.

• Like 1

Amy and Sheldon are in no way typical. Doubt they will be broken up long. 

Unlike real people Amy was invented for Sheldon.

I don't think they will be broken up for long either but I think Mislav thinks the only reason Amy called for the break is because of that one scene I believe Amy feels that Sheldon still isn't putting the effort into the relationship over the long run Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don't think they will be broken up for long either but I think Mislav thinks the only reason Amy called for the break is because of that one scene I believe Amy feels that Sheldon still isn't putting the effort into the relationship over the long run Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I think the real problem is that She did not get the space she needed. All in good time. 

It funny how penny is getting blamed for shamy not getting back together. Sheldon is not to blame. S7 final Sheldon on a journey. Penny's/Lenny's fault. S8 breakup. penny fault because she mentioned what Amy thinks. Sheldon is a bad boyfriend but oh no that is just what penny thinks. Amy would never think that. God forbid. Bad penny. In penny's words. Blame penny. Ppls need to realise Sheldon fucked up big time and stop giving him a pass and blaming everyone else. He is a grown man and needs to make his mind up if he wants to be in a relationship or not. If he does then changes has to happen big time. It's easy to say I love you its just words. Proving it is what makes it unique ànd special. Just because. Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It funny how penny is getting blamed for shamy not getting back together. Sheldon is not to blame. S7 final Sheldon on a journey. Penny's/Lenny's fault. S8 breakup. penny fault because she mentioned what Amy thinks. Sheldon is a bad boyfriend but oh no that is just what penny thinks. Amy would never think that. God forbid. Bad penny. In penny's words. Blame penny. Ppls need to realise Sheldon fucked up big time and stop giving him a pass and blaming everyone else. He is a grown man and needs to make his mind up if he wants to be in a relationship or not. If he does then changes has to happen big time. It's easy to say I love you its just words. Proving it is what makes it unique ànd special. Just because. Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Ofcourse it's for a part Sheldon's fault.

But let's say Penny's (and some of the others too) actions haven't helped.

Is she? If so, that's a stretch.

Much as in life, everyone here is responsible for their own actions, unless they have diminished capacity. Sheldon has choices, Amy has choices. Leonard chose to mess around on the ship, Penny chose to forgive him, likely because based on the evidence she has faith that Leonard is unlikely to mess around again. But that was an exception for him. Sheldon is as Sheldon does - he will always be blowing off thought bubbles like the one that skewered Amy. That's what Amy has to choose to deal with. She and him have to negotiate a survivable threshold of unrestrained Sheldon.  Or not. Nothing much to do with Penny at all. 

• Like 4

Penny has nothing to do with the fact that they haven't gotten back together.   I think that some are surprised that, so far, she hasn't tried to convince Amy to work it out and get back together with him because she is known as the biggest Shamy fan.   It's a little weird to me,  but it could just be that Penny is just trying to support Amy's current decision.   I am sure she will be excited when they reconcile. 

• Like 5

Ofcourse it's for a part Sheldon's fault.

But let's say Penny's (and some of the others too) actions haven't helped.

Your the same one that said once a cheater always a cheater about Leonard. Well Sheldon IS the one at fault. Stop making excuses for him and blaming others.

• Like 1

Penny has nothing to do with the fact that they haven't gotten back together.   I think that some are surprised that, so far, she hasn't tried to convince Amy to work it out and get back together with him because she is known as the biggest Shamy fan.   It's a little weird to me,  but it could just be that Penny is just trying to support Amy's current decision.   I am sure she will be excited when they reconcile. 

I can see why she hasn't tried to barrack for a reunion. It's none of her business, maybe? LOL. I agree she is probably being supportive of Amy and her decision. She has always supported choice for her friends, probably because she played the field herself, before zeroing in on Leonard.  I recall she queried Bernadette on whether she wanted to get married to Howard. Penny's default setting was to look around. She was not a one-and-done girl, and seems to be open to the idea of try before you buy.

It'll be interesting to see if she says anything negative to Sheldon.  One wonders where her loyalties will lie. I think she might even recommend Sheldon look around too, because that was her preference once. If she has a sisterly concern for Sheldon she might back him, or instead back Amy out of solidarity with the sisterhood. Then again, she might tell them each to follow their bliss, because it's their problem, not hers and she wants the best for both of them. It's really up to them to decide what that "best" is. 

Of course it might be funnier if she meddles. It's certainly more fraught. :) 

• Like 2

One wonders where her loyalties will lie.

That's a very good question.

Penny's position is rather like a mans' sister, who is also good friends with his ex girlfriend.

If you are in such a position, it's probably safest to keep well out of it.

Of course it might be funnier if she meddles.

That's very true, and being funny is the raison d'être of the show.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

Your the same one that said once a cheater always a cheater about Leonard. Well Sheldon IS the one at fault. Stop making excuses for him and blaming others.

So let met get this straight, according to you, only Sheldon is the cause of this " break-up" ?

That's a very good question.

Penny's position is rather like a mans sister, who is also good friends with his ex girlfriend.

But where's  the fun in that?

• Like 1

But where's  the fun in that?

There isn't fun in it, which is why it probably won't happen in the show.

I was just pointing out the preferable position, for someone caught in that position IRL.

As far as Penny is concerned, she might be better off supporting Sheldon, because Amy is more inclined to forgive sooner, as demonstrated in Shiny Trinket.

There isn't fun in it, which is why it probably won't happen in the show.

I was just pointing out the preferable position, for someone caught in that position IRL.

As far as Penny is concerned, she might be better off supporting Sheldon, because Amy is more inclined to forgive sooner, as demonstrated in Shiny Trinket.

Sorry, but I don't know why Penny should do anything about them. trinket was three years ago, they are now mature enough to solve their problems on their own, without help.As grown ups should. 

• Like 2

Sorry, but I don't know why Penny should do anything about them.

I agree, she shouldn't, which takes me back to my earlier post, where I said:-

Penny's position is rather like a mans' sister, who is also good friends with his ex girlfriend.

Of course, being human, people tend to ignore commonsense, and get involved, hence my comment about Amy being the more likely to forgive sooner.

While Shiny Trinket was, indeed three years ago, Amy is still very much enamored of her "bestie", as demonstrated in the Son Of A Biscuit episode.

they are now mature enough to solve their problems on their own, without help.As grown ups should. 

Again, agreed, but, as gsxdoug pointed out, where's the fun in that?

Of course when two of your closest friends break up it is way better to not meddle and take parts. Anyway, what I found not nice in the first two episodes (and in particular in the premiere) is that basically no one has bothered to ask Sheldon how he feels. He is in this break up, for me, the "weakest" part, since he has no structures that allow him to face the pain when he meets it, and close friends should know that. I'm not saying that Amy isn't suffering, I'm just saying that she can handle the pain better than Sheldon. And that has nothing to do with who is to blame for the break up or with what side a friend chooses to take. I know Sheldon's behaviour in the premiere in front of his friends was bad, but  his friends should know him enough to understand that he behaved like that because really he didn't know better. The third episode was better from this point of view: the Faynman's van was a very thoughtful idea by the guys to allow Sheldon to enjoy the moment and I liked the fact that Leonard is concerned about how Sheldon can react to the change of living arrangements (which, by the way, is no excuse to delay his moving out, I hope it will happen in the next episode, but I like the fact he is thinking about his friend).

• Like 1

Of course when two of your closest friends break up it is way better to not meddle and take parts.

I completely agree. The safest thing to do, is to stay totally out of it.

However, since this is a comedy show, not real life,  I'm pretty sure it won't happen like that.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

That's why Sheldon "meddles" in Lenny too all the time.

It's fun!

But where does Sheldon's meddlesomness come from? Generally, it comes from the place that things as they are don't suit Sheldon. And Sheldon is built not to care about the consequences of re-arranging things to suit him. Penny probably does care about consequence. So I'd guess she won't meddle - but she might cheer each party on, without a specific agenda but to comic effect.

And we will be interested to see that, which is why TBTB  did the breakup. :)  

• Like 3

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic