[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lenny got screwed, not just with the wedding, but with the events leading up to and the aftermath. I don't think that it is a terrible idea in theory for Leonard to have slipped, feel terrible about i

I know this might be a ca-ray-zeee idea but can we like not have a Shenny panic attack every time Sheldon and Penny have a scene together or Jim dares to say that he likes -gasp!- working with Kaley!?

Sheldon does depend too much on Lenny as parental figures, but the ironic thing is that I think Lenny also depend a great deal on Sheldon. They kind of use him to not have to deal with issues in their

Posted Images

Now, if everyone has had time to cheer or jeer or weep in their beer, I have to wonder what people think this means for the show. Is there any real expectation that actual physical movement can happen under the existing arrangements? 

Leonard and Penny are married. I foolishly expect that at sometime Penny will want to start staking out a space of her own, whether or not Leonard wants to continue his odd obsession with caring for Sheldon. Is it conceivable that she can suppress what are fairly well established cultural norms that she aspire to do that? Because if Amy moves in then then that is what she would have to do. How good is Penny at suppressing anything?  

She spent a long time learning to love Sheldon as a family member, which I can rationalise as wanting to look out for the somewhat helpless person that he was, and because of Leonard's constant interventions, but now he has taken a big step into the grown up world. Sharing space with a dependent is one thing, sharing space with a competent adult who can look after himself is another thing. Will she be as accepting if she also has to not only share space with Sheldon but with Amy. How far do the bonds of friendship stretch?

Also, Amy has for many years enjoyed her own space. Why would Sheldon be so attractive that she compromise on her established lifestyle for some student-like shared accomodation arrangement. If she wants her some Sheldon - a booty call seems more appealing.

Setting aside my feelings about the rivalries, I have doubts that the show can reasonably have Sheldon and Amy set up house together anytime soon. Unless TPTB can make unreasonable play. Maybe they can, but I'd not expect it in the short term.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Setting aside my feelings about the rivalries, I have doubts that the show can reasonably have Sheldon and Amy set up house together anytime soon. Unless TPTB can make unreasonable play. Maybe they can, but I'd not expect it in the short term.

I'm not entirely sure why that would be a problem from a writer's standpoint. While not my favourite turn of events either, I took the arrangement as a simple solution to the question of how to still have enough character interactions for their stories - cause in the end of the day the show is thriving on that and having Sheldon moping around alone in 4A isn't really as funny as his haters may think it is.

So in-story Lenny living between 4A and 4B was set up as a temporal solution from the beginning with Penny taking pity on heartbroken Sheldon and probably also seeing that Leonard would need some time to adjust. But now Shamy are back together, with Sheldon having grown up a bit and their relationship seemingly on more equal footing. So that is one of the problems out of the way and I don't see any reason for them to not want to move in together. After all, Sheldon already asked her (even though that wasn't the smartest move at the time) and Amy has now also mentioned plans to move. Seeing as the whole season went down with little bits like that being carefully woven into the overall plot I have no doubts that they will have Amy move into 4A sooner rather than later. As for Leonard I don't know how attached he really is to Sheldon. I mean, he's been a wonderfully supportive friend during all of this and seems to be comfortable with his marital bliss in between apartments. But at the same time I can't really see him desperately clinging to 4A - especially when/if the prospect of Amy moving in inevitably comes up at some point. He and Penny will probably flee the apartment the moment they accidentally overhear some Shamy sexy times. lol

Edited by April
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, April said:

I'm not entirely sure why that would be a problem from a writer's standpoint. While not my favourite turn of events either, I took the arrangement as a simple solution to the question of how to still have enough character interactions for their stories - cause in the end of the day the show is thriving on that and having Sheldon moping around alone in 4A isn't really as funny as his haters may think it is.

So in-story Lenny living between 4A and 4B was set up as a temporal solution from the beginning with Penny taking pity on heartbroken Sheldon and probably also seeing that Leonard would need some time to adjust. But now Shamy are back together, with Sheldon having grown up a bit and their relationship seemingly on more equal footing. So that is one of the problems out of the way and I don't see any reason for them to not want to move in together. After all, Sheldon already asked her (even though that wasn't the smartest move at the time) and Amy has now also mentioned plans to move. Seeing as the whole season went down with little bits like that being carefully woven into the overall plot I have no doubts that they will have Amy move into 4A sooner rather than later. As for Leonard I don't know how attached he really is to Sheldon. I mean, he's been a wonderfully supportive friend during all of this and seems to be comfortable with his marital bliss in between apartments. But at the same time I can't really see him desperately clinging to 4A - especially when/if the prospect of Amy moving in inevitably comes up at some point. He and Penny will probably flee the apartment the moment they accidentally overhear some Shamy sexy times. lol

I had my doubts that Leonard would ever move out because as you point out 4a is where the majority of the character interaction takes place, the main 3 characters just being there for breakfast or whatever is where the story often starts.

I thought if Sheldon ever moved Amy in that it would have to be into Leonards old room, cus I didn't think there was a chance that he'd let someone share his bed! Also I didn't see Penny letting Leonard move all of his geek paraphernalia into her tiny apartment.

However, now that Sheldon and Amy are big banging (sorry, not sorry!) Sheldon doesn't seem at all adverse to sharing a room which would leave Leonards bedroom free to store his collectables and some of Sheldon's stuff (to make space for Amy in his room) - They could use it as their shared man cave/playroom!

I don't see a time when everyone is not hanging out in 4a all the time, it's the biggest apartment in the gang and it's cooler than the Wolfowitz house.

I know a few people won't like it but it looks like Shammy and Lenny all living together between 4a/4b is exactly what we're gonna get!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, April said:

Fleeing is likely, yes. Unless Penny is particularly curious. Hehehe.  I'd image Leonard would set land speed records leaving :) .  So, you think it's plausible to have the two pairs of adults living communally across a hallway and that Amy and Penny could manage that. Interesting. Having that presupposes that Sheldon recants his expressed need for Leonard and Penny. It also perhaps means Amy has to be in every scene morning and night in the primary set, or be working at the lab a lot or something. It's a big bump up for the character.

18 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Fleeing is likely, yes. Unless Penny is particularly curious. Hehehe.  I'd image Leonard would set land speed records leaving :) .  So, you think it's plausible to have the two pairs of adults living communally across a hallway and that Amy and Penny could manage that. Interesting. Having that presupposes that Sheldon recants his expressed need for Leonard and Penny. It also perhaps means Amy has to be in every scene morning and night in the primary set, or be working at the lab a lot or something. It's a big bump up for the character.

Absolutely. Sheldon was already willing to let them go. I thought they made it pretty clear that if it weren't for Penny's good hearted nature (bless her) he'd already live alone. So from a story point of view I don't see any problems and it could be really funny to see the two couples adjust to the new living arrangements, but at the same time with Lenny in 4B they would have their own privacy when needed. 4A will still be the main set for group meetings of any kind and Lenny will probably have enough opportunities to casually show up whenever the plot demands it. They're all friends after all and being such a close-knit group they'll still hang out all the time.

Funnily enough I think of the four Amy might be the one having a bit of hard time adjusting. If we're honest here, Sheldon and Lenny had this "living communally across a hallway" situation since S1 while Amy always had her own place. Could be interesting to see how that plays out. (Just like how she was always the one wanting physical intimacy but when the big moment came she was really really nervous.)

The more interesting part for me is really how they'll rearrange the sets. After all, Leonard's stuff needs to be moved into 4B and Amy's into 4A. I don't know if they'll do it but I think there's a nice story line in there about making compromises when you want to combine two lives into one. Some things will have to be chucked out or stored away to make room for your partner. Like for example, I'd love to see Penny's apartment gaining a bit of a geeky touch or something so that you can see right away that this is Penny AND Leonard's apartment - not just hers alone anymore.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Ok, though I think it'd  be a big promotion of the character and require re-tooling the show's premise.  Let's see what happens. I'm guessing one bout of nookie won't change their world that much, that fast.

I agree it would definitely be a big promotion for her! But how would that require "require re-tooling the show's premise"?

Also, it's not about "one bout of nookie" but a whole bunch of developments that have been set into motion. The writers aren't fooling around this season. It's only a matter of time when things will fall into place. ;)

6 hours ago, April said:

I agree it would definitely be a big promotion for her! But how would that require "require re-tooling the show's premise"?

Also, it's not about "one bout of nookie" but a whole bunch of developments that have been set into motion. The writers aren't fooling around this season. It's only a matter of time when things will fall into place. ;)

I agree there is a trajectory. I think where you and I differ is in our expectation of the timing of the resolution of the Shamy story and maybe the length of the show's run. I expect they will wrap at 10, maybe 11.

Because of my preferences I'd prefer to know sooner rather than later that Penny and Leonard, after what would be 10 years of managing Sheldon (as you know they do), are able to have their own adult lives and not live as a ménage. Having Amy in place extends the ménage concept and delays their independence. If they run three years and continue to live with Sheldon... I might be dead before they get to be on their own. LOL (KIDDING - Not that old)

I believe the compromise RA will hold the existing structure together. It was a fabrication for keeping Leonard and Sheldon in the same place in spite of the obvious real life outcome where Penny and Leonard would go off and nest alone. Consequently, to keep the boys together, Amy has to come over to get a leg over, not move in and take care of Sheldon full-time, in lieu of Leonard.

Leonard and Sheldon are like Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello and maybe Bert and Ernie. The comic duo is unlikely to BE broken. Penny is there to do the comic double take and give the everyday person's reaction to the exceptional acts of the rest of the exceptional group.

Amy is one of the exceptional group. She likes Sheldon's quirks, up to a point. Penny btw tolerates them. But Amy can't do what Penny does. Amy has to continue to love Sheldon even when he outrages. If she takes Penny's role as the one who does the double takes and finds him outrageous then why is she in love with Sheldon? It becomes less plausible.

I also have the vague notion that the primary leads, who get the big bucks, wont want their roles diminished too much. Unless they just want to take the money, which I doubt. Or unless they spin off, which would be the re-tooling of the show.

I do believe Shamy will end together, because the creatives have moved away the unique and refreshing character who didn't suffer from the obsession with sex and biology that haunts most of the rest of us, to follow a slightly unconventional arc. And regardless of my reservations and personal inclinations, I think the structural issues I have outlined will delay the Shamy shack up. Not because I want it to be delayed from envy or so I can have more Penny and Leonard goodness, but because of it would be such a change to the show.

<icon: imho> :)

edit: And there is the old showbiz maxim "Always leave them wanting more". If they give us everything we want we won't come back each week to see what happens next.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
I need a sub-editor LOL

I see what you mean. I guess right now I'm just a bit more confident in that I think the show can keep their current Sheldon/Lenny dynamic and still have Lenny move across the hall and Amy move in. We'll have to wait and see to find out who's right! :icon_wink:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, April said:

I see what you mean. I guess right now I'm just a bit more confident in that I think the show can keep their current Sheldon/Lenny dynamic and still have Lenny move across the hall and Amy move in. We'll have to wait and see to find out who's right! :icon_wink:

yes, my confidence in seeing more of what I hope for is not high. I suppose it could be funny watching the two couples share a lounge room. We will have to see. Of course Penny and Amy living together and sharing access to Sheldon will generate amusing interactions. I'm not so sure it would go swimmingly. And if it does, then where is the fun in that.

So, on both sides of the proposition, people are keen to see if anything substantial comes quickly out of the nookie episode. People say the writers don't know what they are doing, but they do know how to encourage viewers to ask "whatever will happen next?". Few have guessed correctly. And I know nothing. We were set for an L/P wedding at ep 200. What were the odds of it coming in so early. Maybe they are on an accelerated schedule. Everyone hitched for the S10 wrap.

I see two options

A: Amy moves in next door, and Shamy and Lenny co-exist. I mean seeing Lenny are married, is 4B too small for them

B: Lenny move in 4B

It is true Lenny have communed in 4A since the dawn of time. Amy has had her independence. So been at arms length. If she moves in it breaks that comedy arch. Does Amy take on Penny's role now? So a booty call maybe a viable option lol. SO I guess Shamy and Lenny living together may seem the most viable option.

And another thing. If Amy and Sheldon do shack up after one root, I will be so pissed off because of the injustice. Penny and Leonard still aren't living really together. And they are married. That's so much of a contrivance, it makes sense that in such a world Sheldon and Amy walk straight in. 

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

You know, if amy moved in with sheldon now (married or not) considering that she's had her own space for so long and is like sheldon in liking things neat and under her control,  I think she'd quickly become ticked off at her bestie just walking in all the time and raiding the kitchen. 

Penny only did that because Leonard wouldn't care he knew she was broke most of the time now leonard would be living with her and they could afford whatever they wanted

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Well Penny lives at 4A, especially a lot longer then Amy. She can raid anything she wants, she has earnt it LOL.

32 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Penny only did that because Leonard wouldn't care he knew she was broke most of the time now leonard would be living with her and they could afford whatever they wanted

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Penny also has a job, and a sense of autonomy now. So the theory going around Leonard is her sugar daddy, died pretty quickly. She can support herself now. Hence why she prob doesent raid their kitchen as much. I do miss the days, when Penny would walk in with her laptop. And go what's the password? Pennyisafreeloader no spaces lol.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomasina said:

You know, if amy moved in with sheldon now (married or not) considering that she's had her own space for so long and is like sheldon in liking things neat and under her control,  I think she'd quickly become ticked off at her bestie just walking in all the time and raiding the kitchen. 

There is a scenario. Amy moves in, Penny and Leonard get moved out. Doesn't work with the fixed set though. Leonard and Penny have to knock? Again, re-tooling. Still thinkin' co-habitation for Shamy is runs aground. Co-habitation works for Sheldon because he has his own boundaries that only he understands. 

Quick fix is Lenny find another apt. But damn production value. But i agree re tooling needed. I guess only logical outcome is Amy moves in with Sheldon. Lenny at 4B. Its all on Sheldon. No way is he leaving 4A. Hes the Alan Harper of this show haha. 

• Like 1

4A is such an integral part of the show it's going to be really hard for it not to be the central meeting place of everyone.  I'm sorry but I doubt that if Lenny moved to another apartment complex or bought a house that the gang would still hang out at 4A. 

So really they are stuck production costs or not if you know what I mean..

• Like 2

What about Amy and Sheldon in 4A, Lenny in 4B but Amy is offered a fantastic job elsewhere (say San Fransisco) so is only home weekends to maintain her more minor character status ? (I Live in UK so unsure which Universities are actually in San Fransisco) lol  

Why would you need to artificially reduce Amy's screen time??? With Shamy reconciled they'll have many scenes together anyway. Doesn't really matter where she lives.

Just let Lenny live in 4B and Shamy in 4A. I don't see why this is such a big deal. In the end it wouldn't be that much of a change for the show. They'd live across a hallway, for goodness sake!

• Like 8

They treat the two apartments like one big apartment anyway. So I can see the two couples (Lenny and Shamy) still having dinner together with their friends in 4A, but Lenny and Shamy will go to their "separate" apartments at night. 4B being tiny won't be an issue, I don't think. I'm sure we'll still see lots of Lenny making themselves at home in 4A, fixing themselves something to eat there, watching TV, etc, they will just have private time and sleep in 4B. I don't think Sheldon would mind this at all. I think this scenario works best for everyone.

Edited by anna
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Listgirl said:

Well I don't care where she lives or how much we see of her, but if the contracts for the top three demand they have more to do than the rest a contrivance might be needed should she move in? 

As far as I know the only thing that the contracts say about time on the air is that everybody in the main cast has to appear in every episode, but nothing about the time on screen. There have been times in which a particular supporting character was just in a tiny scene. For the rest, the main 3 have the highest salaries and, obviously,  the biggest stories. Anyway being Amy involved with a main character it's inevitable that when a story involves Shamy she has more time on the air than other supporting characters. And if the story arc involves Shamy getting married or living together, and I suppose sooner or later this will be the case, she has to move in with Sheldon somewhere...

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic