The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

7 minutes ago, Listgirl said:

Well I don't care where she lives or how much we see of her, but if the contracts for the top three demand they have more to do than the rest a contrivance might be needed should she move in? 

First of all, I don't know that there is any contractual obligation to have any actor appear X amount of minutes on screen. It always depends on the story.

Second, the show doesn't only take place in 4A. There are plenty of plots where she doesn't need to be present. So while she might be in more 4A scenes she still wouldn't be present when the guys are at work or involved in some geeky shenanigans or whatever.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

As far as I know the only thing that the contracts say about time on the air is that everybody in the main cast has to appear in every episode, but nothing about the time on screen. There have been times in which a particular supporting character was just in a tiny scene. For the rest, the main 3 have the highest salaries and, obviously,  the biggest stories. Anyway being Amy involved with a main character it's inevitable that when a story involves Shamy she has more time on the air than other supporting characters. And if the story arc involves Shamy getting married or living together, and I suppose sooner or later this will be the case, she has to move in with Sheldon somewhere...

I like to think the writers let Amy move in as there would be a rich comedy seam to mine for several episodes at least.  Some of which could definitely provide a smaller plot line and let other characters take the limelight for a bit. However there's often a curve ball when you least expect it and career development for some of these characters has been left alone for a while. I'm sure the Nobel prize thread will be picked at eventually not to mention Penny's acting (again) or someone being offered something prestigious elsewhere. There's a good chance the current status quo (post break up) could be stirred up again, before Lenny and Shamy are in 4B and 4A respectively, which will get round contracts, sets, Shelnard etc.

They have just conceded two major plot points in two episodes, surely a new suspenseful storyline is now likely to brew before anything else major is ticked off the list.

Lenny could really use a juicy new development or Raj/Emily for that matter. 

Edited by Listgirl

7 hours ago, Listgirl said:

Well I don't care where she lives or how much we see of her, but if the contracts for the top three demand they have more to do than the rest a contrivance might be needed should she move in? 

Not particularly.  It's not as though Leonard and Sheldon have been in every 4a scene, and the audience doesn't get confused.  They're adults, sometimes they're not home.  It'll be the same with Amy.

• Like 4

On 11/19/2015, 9:00:32, April said:

He and Penny will probably flee the apartment the moment they accidentally overhear some Shamy sexy times. lol

Penny and Leonard, overhearing Sheldon and Amy, would be payback for all the times Sheldon has overheard them.

To quote Sheldon:-

Payback, it truly is the B word, isn’t it? :icon_biggrin: 

ETA: I wonder if Amy and/or Sheldon are noisy in the sack?

18 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Quick fix is Lenny find another apt.

Maybe they could take Amy's apartment, when Amy moves into 4A with Sheldon.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, April said:

Why would you need to artificially reduce Amy's screen time??? With Shamy reconciled they'll have many scenes together anyway. Doesn't really matter where she lives.

Just let Lenny live in 4B and Shamy in 4A. I don't see why this is such a big deal. In the end it wouldn't be that much of a change for the show. They'd live across a hallway, for goodness sake!

I don't understand why Shamy should live in 4A. What after 1 night of sex? Really? I mean, is that supposed to change things that much? If Amy were to move into 4 A, shouldn't Leonard be consulted on it? Isn't 4A as much his as it is Sheldon's? TBH if this were a little bit more realistic, Lenny would have found a place of their own,and would have left 4A right after they got married. For them to be living in 4B just doesn't cut it for me even if that is what was going to happen before Lenny decded not to leave Sheldon alone.

I would also hope that Howard would be OK with renovating his mother's house, even if I would hope Bernadette wouldn't be so pushy about it, and that she would respect his feelings a little bit more. The way the relationships have evolved, the premise of the show should change as I don't think it's still believable that they keep on meeting in 4A. Besides, the fact that Leonard is married and Sheldon now has a complete relationship with Amy puts a strain on the original power couple of the show: Shelnard.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I don't understand why Shamy should live in 4A. What after 1 night of sex? Really? I mean, is that supposed to change things that much? If Amy were to move into 4 A, shouldn't Leonard be consulted on it? Isn't 4A as much his as it is Sheldon's? TBH if this were a little bit more realistic, Lenny would have found a place of their own,and would have left 4A right after they got married. For them to be living in 4B just doesn't cut it for me even if that is what was going to happen before Lenny decded not to leave Sheldon alone.

Leaving aside the question of whether Amy should move into 4A (and you could be right that it's too soon for that), I don't think there's any reason to consult Leonard. Leonard and Sheldon already dissolved their roommate agreement and Leonard had agreed to move into 4B with Penny. The only reason he and Penny are staying at 4A sometimes is because they took pity on Sheldon who felt too much was changing too fast. As soon as Sheldon signals he's ok with it, either because he wants privacy for himself and Amy or be caused he's matured enough to to let Lenny live together without him, it seems pretty clear their plan is to live in 4B. 

Edited by Gbb
  • Like 9

Prefer Lenny in 4B anyway officially fulltime. Not as big as 4A. And seeing i cant see all Leonards stuff fitting into 4B. Leonard wont not ever be at 4A. He well most likely still hang out with the guys. And discuss their women :D. I see Lenny eventually Monica and Chandler finding a house. But for now 4B seems more practical. Give Lenny more alone time too. And more Lenny centric plots, which this show needs. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Carlos said:

I would also hope that Howard would be OK with renovating his mother's house, even if I would hope Bernadette wouldn't be so pushy about it, and that she would respect his feelings a little bit more. The way the relationships have evolved, the premise of the show should change as I don't think it's still believable that they keep on meeting in 4A. Besides, the fact that Leonard is married and Sheldon now has a complete relationship with Amy puts a strain on the original power couple of the show: Shelnard.

Oh for goodness sake, you know very well that this is not about them having "1 night of sex". The prospect of them getting engaged and moving in together has already been brought to the table by the writers. Not saying it happens the next episode but it will happen eventually, and with the speed the writers are moving the story forward it'll probably happen sooner rather than later.

And you may not like it but 4A is primarily Sheldon's apartment. Yes, Shelnard are room mates but the way their arrangement is treated it's probably more accurate to say that Sheldon is the main tenant and Leonard his lodger. But as Gbb pointed out, that is also very much besides the point because Lenny already made it clear that they want to live in 4B together.

Bottom line, the writers don't care about what you or I would find "realistic" or "believable". They will write the characters in a way that they find realistic and believable, all within the boundaries of the production of a show like this. 4A is the biggest permanent set so they will make use of it to tell their stories. And neither will they get rid of 4B so it will be put to some good use as well.

Also, what is it with so many people being against Lenny enjoying some marital bliss in 4B????? Idgi!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Gbb said:

Leaving aside the question of whether Amy should move into 4A (and you could be right that it's too soon for that)

I don't think it's too soon at all.

Sheldon and Amy have known each other for over 5 years, and (save for the ~ 6 months they were broken up), have been a couple for 4 years.

Things are finally moving, and I think they should keep the momentum going, and live together.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, Carlos said:

I think everyone is presuming that they are gonna move in together soon because he has a ring and was about to propose (twice) not just cus they did the wild thing one time :)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

I think everyone is presuming that they are gonna move in together soon because he has a ring and was about to propose (twice) not just cus they did the wild thing one time :)

Exactly. I'd go as far and say that I'd still think they'd move in together soon even if that birthday didn't result in sexy times. The main reason is really that they're back together and Sheldon wants to marry her. The fact that they finally consummated their relationship feels pretty incidental to the question of Amy moving into 4A. Or at least it's on my part.

Edited by April
whoops, you're right Stephen, that was a typo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, April said:

The fact that they finally consummated their relationship feels pretty incidental to the question of Amy moving into 4B.

Don't you mean 4A?

45 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I think a number of issues might be getting confused here:

a ) Lenny moving out and no longer needing to babysit Sheldon: indeed Lenny have every right to get their own place (wherever that might be) and start a married life together without watching over Sheldon.  However, it is a little unfair, I think, to castigate Sheldon for that not having happened. The show has taken some pains to have Sheldon sign a termination agreement and present it to Leonard. He wasn't pushing Leonard to stay. Leonard and Penny stayed because they love Sheldon. You may not love Sheldon, but that's not really the point. Do you believe that Leonard and Penny love him, yes or no? And do you believe that Sheldon was manipulating the pair into staying? Now, I personally believe that he was not. I believe he was sincere in his proffer of a signed Termination Agreement. We've seen Sheldon when he's manipulating people (the Table episode, for example) and I think that this was different.

b ) Lenny remaining in 4A: Rightly or wrongly, lots of people believe that whoever remains in Apartment 4A becomes the 'focus' of the show, since 4A is the set that is used most often. AND lots of people believe that that focus should remain with Lenny, which means that Lenny should have sole custody of 4A. Now, I don't think that either proposition is really true. I think that it is possible, as others have said, for plenty of attention to be paid to people who don't nominally live in 4A, but spend a lot of time there. Penny, back in the day, was a prime example. And there were plenty of group interactions set in 4A, with Raj, Howard et al. Location doesn't determine focus. Sheldon isn't going to magically dwindle and die if he moves out. Lenny won't wax into all-conquering Colossuses (Colossi?) if Apartment 4A becomes their sole domain.

I think it's easy to react emotionally, after the lack of care the writers have taken of Lenny recently. And I do sympathise. But let's not pretend that any couple is 'owed' a particular location (or focus!), or that Lenny's moving out means that they are being symbolically ousted from their rightful positions as the focus of the show. There is a main cast, all of whom have a rightful claim on attention and care. I completely agree that Shamy have been in the spotlight (in ways that I have frequently found tiresome) and Lenny were shafted on the run-up to the wedding and its aftermath. But that does not mean that Lenny have somehow 'earned' Apartment 4A (and with it somehow the spotlight), or that Shamy is somehow jumping ahead of their rightful place in some notional queue. Both Lenny AND Shamy have had the spotlight for a while. If anything, I'd like Raj and Emily to be the focus for a while, as well as Howard and Bernadette.

Please, pick at least two....

s_007.gif.86289c5271cee4051efdba5525299c

:shy:

• Like 4

Regarding Apartment 4A...

I feel like it'll be Sheldon who'll remain there. I don't say this as a huge Shamy shipper. I say this because he was there first and it was Leonard who moved in with him initially, so yeah...:icon_surprised:

• Like 1

I think a number of issues might be getting confused here:

a ) Lenny moving out and no longer needing to babysit Sheldon: indeed Lenny have every right to get their own place (wherever that might be) and start a married life together without watching over Sheldon.  However, it is a little unfair, I think, to castigate Sheldon for that not having happened. The show has taken some pains to have Sheldon sign a termination agreement and present it to Leonard. He wasn't pushing Leonard to stay. Leonard and Penny stayed because they love Sheldon. You may not love Sheldon, but that's not really the point. Do you believe that Leonard and Penny love him, yes or no? And do you believe that Sheldon was manipulating the pair into staying? Now, I personally believe that he was not. I believe he was sincere in his proffer of a signed Termination Agreement. We've seen Sheldon when he's manipulating people (the Table episode, for example) and I think that this was different.

b ) Lenny remaining in 4A: Rightly or wrongly, lots of people believe that whoever remains in Apartment 4A becomes the 'focus' of the show, since 4A is the set that is used most often. AND lots of people believe that that focus should remain with Lenny, which means that Lenny should have sole custody of 4A. Now, I don't think that either proposition is really true. I think that it is possible, as others have said, for plenty of attention to be paid to people who don't nominally live in 4A, but spend a lot of time there. Penny, back in the day, was a prime example. And there were plenty of group interactions set in 4A, with Raj, Howard et al. Location doesn't determine focus. Sheldon isn't going to magically dwindle and die if he moves out. Lenny won't wax into all-conquering Colossuses (Colossi?) if Apartment 4A becomes their sole domain.

I think it's easy to react emotionally, after the lack of care the writers have taken of Lenny recently. And I do sympathise. But let's not pretend that any couple is 'owed' a particular location (or focus!), or that Lenny's moving out means that they are being symbolically ousted from their rightful positions as the focus of the show. There is a main cast, all of whom have a rightful claim on attention and care. I completely agree that Shamy have been in the spotlight (in ways that I have frequently found tiresome) and Lenny were shafted on the run-up to the wedding and its aftermath. But that does not mean that Lenny have somehow 'earned' Apartment 4A (and with it somehow the spotlight), or that Shamy is somehow jumping ahead of their rightful place in some notional queue. Both Lenny AND Shamy have had the spotlight for a while. If anything, I'd like Raj and Emily to be the focus for a while, as well as Howard and Bernadette.

I'm sorry what is a termination agreement. Did I missed an episode where Sheldon bought the apartment? Isn't that just terminating the roommate agreement which is not a tenancy or legal document.

People act like sheldon own the apartment. Let's be real Sheldon cannot kick out Leonard even if he wanted to nor can Leonard kick out Sheldon. Any kicking out can only be done by the owners of the apartment block. Both Sheldon and Leonard would have had to sign a tenancy agreement with them having the same rights. Doesn't matter who moved in first. In TBBT world Sheldon veto who moves in. Surely it's up to the owners who moves in not Sheldon or leonard. They can recommend someone but the final say will always be with the owners as in the real world they will be handling the recruitment.

In The staircase implementation we see Leonard signing a roommate agreement not a tenancy. So to me that is handled by the owners and not Sheldon.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

People act like sheldon own the apartment. Let's be real Sheldon cannot kick out Leonard even if he wanted to nor can Leonard kick out Sheldon. Any kicking out can only be done by the owners of the apartment block. Both Sheldon and Leonard would have had to sign a tenancy agreement with them having the same rights. Doesn't matter who moved in first. 

For all we know Sheldon could be subletting the apartment to Leonard rather than adding him to the lease. But that's not important. Leonard already expressed a desire to move out of 4A and into 4B with Penny. You seem to be arguing for something none of the characters have asked for. 

Edited by Gbb
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said: People act like sheldon own the apartment. Let's be real Sheldon cannot kick out Leonard even if he wanted to nor can Leonard kick out Sheldon. Any kicking out can only be done by the owners of the apartment block. Both Sheldon and Leonard would have had to sign a tenancy agreement with them having the same rights. Doesn't matter who moved in first. 

For all we know Sheldon could be subletting the apartment to Leonard rather than adding him to the lease. But that's not important. Leonard already expressed a desire to move out of 4A and into 4B with Penny. You seem to be arguing for something none of the characters have asked for. 

Not arguing just making a point as some shamy shippers acted like he owned the apartment and can kick out Leonard' when he want because he move in first. Bs. Subleting sorry when have the writers implied this. You are just making up excuses as you go along. IMO Leonard should have moved out years ago.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Subleting sorry when have the writers implied this.

The fact that Sheldon is the one who handles all the formalities that would usually be handled by a landlord is a pretty big hint that they're not renting the apartment on equal terms. Sheldon interviews potential candidates and decides who gets to be his room mate, he handles all the contractual stuff (not just the RMA!) and the keys. I think that's pretty decent evidence that the main tenant and subletting Leonard.

And for goodness sake, this is not a custody battle. I don't get where that hostility is coming from when the characters already declared their plans for the future. It's not about kicking Leonard out - the guy wants to live with his wife in 4B!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tonstar17 said:

Not arguing just making a point as some shamy shippers acted like he owned the apartment and can kick out Leonard' when he want because he move in first. Bs. Subleting sorry when have the writers implied this. You are just making up excuses as you go along. IMO Leonard should have moved out years ago.

The writers haven't implied anything (that I can remember) regarding the legalities of Leonard's rental. It's true we haven't heard them mention a sublet, but I don't believe we've ever heard them mention Leonard's name on the lease either. So either assumption is conjecture.  However, if Leonard had equal standing in the apartment, I think it might have come up during the big Roommate Agreement battle with Priya. As it was, they seemed to stipulate that Sheldon's Roommate Agreement was the document that governed their living arrangements.

But all of this is just semantics that I don't care to get bogged down in. Sheldon and Leonard have shared the apartment for over 10 years. On a friendship level if not a legal one, I agree they can both claim "ownership" of the apartment.  But the fact remains that Leonard married Penny and expressed a desire to be let out of his Roommate Agreement so he could move in with Penny. When Shamy fans speak of Sheldon "asking" Leonard to leave; it's more giving him permission to do what he's already asked to do. Leonard is only still there because Sheldon needs him. Once Sheldon can live there alone (or with Amy), Leonard is able to live with his wife in their apartment, as he already wants to do.

Edited by Gbb
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said: Subleting sorry when have the writers implied this.

The fact that Sheldon is the one who handles all the formalities that would usually be handled by a landlord is a pretty big hint that they're not renting the apartment on equal terms. Sheldon interviews potential candidates and decides who gets to be his room mate, he handles all the contractual stuff (not just the RMA!) and the keys. I think that's pretty decent evidence that the main tenant and subletting Leonard.

And for goodness sake, this is not a custody battle. I don't get where that hostility is coming from when the characters already declared their plans for the future. It's not about kicking Leonard out - the guy wants to live with his wife in 4B!

Sorry all the hostilities are coming you shamy fans who keep going on about Sheldon kicking Leonard out so Amy can move in. I'm just pointing out the facts. All those things you mentioned about Sheldon doing is no prove that he is subletting to Leonard that will be illegal without the owner knowledge if you are going with contract stuff. Sheldon is just being Sheldon and thinks he owns the apartment. He doesn't. For your info. They have never shown Leonard signing any legal documents. Just roommate agreements. Because all that stuff is done by the owners. He might be interviewing potential roommates but they still have to be approved by the owners and sign a legal contract with them. Not Sheldon.

1 hour ago, Tonstar17 said: Not arguing just making a point as some shamy shippers acted like he owned the apartment and can kick out Leonard' when he want because he move in first. Bs. Subleting sorry when have the writers implied this. You are just making up excuses as you go along. IMO Leonard should have moved out years ago.

The writers haven't implied anything (that I can remember) regarding the legalities of Leonard's rental. It's true we haven't heard them mention a sublet, but I don't believe we've ever heard them mention Leonard's name on the lease either. So either assumption is conjecture.  However, if Leonard had equal standing in the apartment, I think it might have come up during the big Roommate Agreement battle with Priya. As it was, they seemed to stipulate that Sheldon's Roommate Agreement was the document that governed their living arrangements.

But all of this is just semantics that I don't care to get bogged down in. Sheldon and Leonard have shared the apartment for over 10 years. On a friendship level if not a legal one, I agree they can both claim "ownership" of the apartment.  But the fact remains that Leonard married Penny and expressed a desire to be let out of his Roommate Agreement so he could move in with Penny. When Shamy fans speak of Sheldon "asking" Leonard to leave; it's more giving him permission to do what he's already asked to do. Leonard is only still there because Sheldon needs him. Once Sheldon can live there alone (or with Amy), Leonard is able to live with his wife in their apartment, as he already wants to do.

Here we go again. Giving him permission. All hail the mighty Sheldon.

3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

AND lots of people believe that that focus should remain with Lenny, which means that Lenny should have sole custody of 4A.

The thing is, it was Sheldon's apartment, long before Leonard moved in.

If Sheldon is forced to leave, in favor of Leonard and Penny, it's just repeating the ludicrous situation in Scrubs, where Turk and Carla ask JD to let them have his apartment, and he has to move out.

4A is Sheldon's apartment, and it's up to Leonard to move out.

After all, he has somewhere he can move to, which is more than Sheldon has.

I want Leonard out of 4A like yesterday. I'm not one of those lenny that want L/P living in 4A. They are married and should be living together in 4B. if it was up to me, as far away from Sheldon as possible. I don't consider Sheldon a good friend to Leonard he just uses him to get his way and you wait and see as soon he is happy and things are good with Amy. He will kick lenny out with no feelings or sadness from him because he know amy can replace Leonard duties.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Here we go again. Giving him permission. All hail the mighty Sheldon.

I think it's clear that's not what I meant by "give him permission." Leonard and Sheldon are best friends. Leonard and Penny are only staying in 4A (sometimes) because Sheldon was having such a hard time with losing so many people from his life at one time. Sheldon is aware that Leonard and Penny are making this sacrifice because they love him. Therefore when he feels ready to live alone he will let them know they can go back to their original plan to move out. Call it "permission," "the go ahead," or whatever you like. 

• Like 4

You know sheldon won't say something like thanks for helping thru a tough time. I think it will be just get out with no warning

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2