[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

5 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

I saw both interviews. But that doesn't mean he doesn't love Sheldon with Amy. We know that already from other interviews. I actually agree when he said he missed Sheldon and Penny (as friends). I'm missing their scenes too.

I always like Sheldon/Penny friend scenes. They were fun. So those wouldn't be horrible but no romantic scenes. I think it was just an offhand remark because he had to choose someone to have a secret 1 night stand.....it would probably be comedy gold if it was ever revealed. I don't want that to happen but it would be funny.

5 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

tumblr_nhveg5eW5w1t4qz24o1_1280.thumb.pn

Don't feed them peeps!

exactly!!!!!

• Like 4

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lenny got screwed, not just with the wedding, but with the events leading up to and the aftermath. I don't think that it is a terrible idea in theory for Leonard to have slipped, feel terrible about i

I know this might be a ca-ray-zeee idea but can we like not have a Shenny panic attack every time Sheldon and Penny have a scene together or Jim dares to say that he likes -gasp!- working with Kaley!?

Sheldon does depend too much on Lenny as parental figures, but the ironic thing is that I think Lenny also depend a great deal on Sheldon. They kind of use him to not have to deal with issues in their

Posted Images

On 2/11/2016 at 8:11 PM, Tensor said:

She can give Sheldon a great pep talk and tell him he's one of her favorite people on a moments notice.  But, get's caught off guard as to why she married to quote her, "the love of her life"?

simply because she settled for leonard..... 

she could not even remember leonard's birthday ... all the while telling other how important your SO's birthday is..... lol

Edited by vasu

24 minutes ago, kimbee73 said:

I always like Sheldon/Penny friend scenes. They were fun. So those wouldn't be horrible but no romantic scenes. I think it was just an offhand remark because he had to choose someone to have a secret 1 night stand.....it would probably be comedy gold if it was ever revealed. I don't want that to happen but it would be funny.

exactly!!!!!

Prady never liked the idea of Penny and Sheldon. Yes I think that any romance would ruin their friendship at this point. It would be the typical love triangle with the woman between the 2 friends. And I would see no point in introducing Amy years ago. The Penny- Sheldon ship (romantically speaking) has shipped years ago. The love triangle between Ted Robin and Barney already ruined How I met your mother for me.

But I totally get why Jim said it. As an actor it would be a funny scene to play, something unexpected and it would create total chaos in the show. But they should have done it years ago. If they wanted.

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

Prady never liked the idea of Penny and Sheldon. Yes I think that any romance would ruin their friendship at this point. It would be the typical love triangle with the woman between the 2 friends. And I would see no point in introducing Amy years ago. The Penny- Sheldon ship (romantically speaking) has shipped years ago. The love triangle between Ted Robin and Barney already ruined How I met your mother for me.

Oh totally agree....HIMYM was completely ruined for me. I would hate to see that happen  on this show. I love this show way more than I ever loved HIMYM. I would burn all my DVDs if Shenny ever happened.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kimbee73 said:

Oh totally agree....HIMYM was completely ruined for me. I would hate to see that happen  on this show. I love this show way more than I ever loved HIMYM. I would burn all my DVDs if Shenny ever happened.

When Robin/ Barney happened I didn't agree at all, considering her history with Ted and how much he cared about Robin. It was so strange. And after trying to convince me that Barney and Robin happened because Ted was destined to be with the mother (like there weren't other women on the planet :icon_rolleyes:), they gave us that finale!!! I never liked Penny with Leonard. I just don't like them as a couple but I love Amy, even though I prefer when she was super quirky. I really miss quirky AMy!! She was such a great character, she's too normal this season, except for clothes, I see Mayim at this point instead of AMy basically every time she's on screen :(

1 hour ago, April said:

ElementaryWTF.gif.48493788f817ed1bd2ec5e

If Lorre, Molaro and Prady were Shenny shippers we'd have canon!Shenny for a long long time already since, you know, they're the guys who decide what's happening in the show?!?!?

And for goodness sake Jim making an off-hand comment like that doesn't mean anything. His reason was simply because it would have been fun to play the post-coitus scene, nothing more. In the same segment Kaley suggested Penny/Stan Lee cause he's hot and Melissa's answer was Bernadette/Stuart because he needs some loving, and Sarah Gilbert suggests Leslie/Sheldon because she already had the others. You can't take that stuff seriously. lol

For those who haven't seen it: http://features.aol.com/video/jim-parsons-reveals-big-bang-character-hed-want-sheldon-have-secret-1-night-stand

Funny because years ago I definitely thought that Leslie was secretly in love with Sheldon.

11 minutes ago, Thyanic <3 said:

it was just my personal opinion and my perception maybe i'm wrong and i like to read different opinions... and yes Prady posted this.. and then... we got the "the love experiment" and the passionate shenny kiss (I know that was a dream sequence but still).. I don't trust in the writers-producers anymore because i've always got the feeling (based on some scenes or plots) that at the end of the series we going to get a shenny plot-twist i hope not.. but to me the scenes between sheldon and penny are way too much more intimate (as Jim said), comfortable, and deeper than the shamy scenes.. and yes i know you'll probably say: "but hey! we have seen sheldon suffering because of amy and wanting to get amy back, tell her "i love you" and his birthday present to her were his genitals and it was so romantic (even the fact that sheldon seemed forced to do something that clearly didn't want just to please amy and not losing her again) yes, we have it, and that was beatiful in our eyes because we are the best fandom, the most patient and the most supportive even when we have to wait years for all those moments... again just my "wrong" opinion...

I think because the writers want to tell us that our partner isn't always our best friend as well. There's room in our lives for multiple people in different roles.That's why Sheldon and Penny rely so much on each other, apparently, sometimes, more than on Amy and Leonard. But this is my interpretation.

How are these still in this thread but the analysis of non-romantic, loving relationships got moved within seconds? Jk

I mean, I don't trust the writers as far as I could throw them either because 1. they're not super great writers for long-term nuance and characterization and 2. HIMYM set a really gross precedent on how not to handle last moment plot twists.

However, I am hoping, given how they've previously handled the marketing of the show and the friendships (not just the Sheldon-related ones), that they are attempting to build up non-romantic platonic relationships in which you love your friends.  BUT THEY'RE just bad at it because Sheldon, Leonard, and Penny are the main characters, Sheldon more so. So the order of characterization importance is something like: Sheldon-Penny (because she's the female lead), Sheldon-Leonard, Penny-Leonard, Sheldon-Amy...so on and whatever. I don't think they're balancing the characterizations properly for such a long short-form show.

And on that note, I think the Sheldon-Penny and Sheldon-Leslie relationships play into two very common romantic tropes that we see in modern Western literature, so any hint of those relationships is picked up on as more intimate by virtue of our used to those pairings regardless of how intimate the scene actually is (and then the intimacy of other scenes is lessened by comparison). 

ANYWAYS, it would be super nice if people who aren't the same gender could be platonic friends. That would just be great. I would love to see friendship on the show and not run into this every time something loving happens between friends because it reinforces the idea that friendship isn't a thing.

AND if this is one long bait-and-switch to a romantic endgame relationship not yet explored on camera, that's just not good writing and should be disappointing on many levels before it even hits the 'not my ship' level.

An analysis of the intimacy between characters is great, but we did this before (and I imagine people have been doing it after every episode since Amy showed up) and I don't think anything came of it?

ETA: So, analysis of anything in the shipping threads that isn't only involving the ship characters is essentially impossible in any thread that isn't Shipping Lanes, and I don't want to be in this thread since I don't want to do much analysis of things not related to Sheldon and Amy since that is where my interests are. I want to discuss things related to my ship in that thread and do so with a larger framework that includes other relationships, so ...I'll be over there? I guess? Not doing that or something idk.

Edited by CuriousMeans
ETA
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Thyanic <3 said:

it was just my personal opinion and my perception maybe i'm wrong and i like to read different opinions... and yes Prady posted this.. and then... we got the "the love experiment" and the passionate shenny kiss (I know that was a dream sequence but still).. I don't trust in the writers-producers anymore because i've always got the feeling (based on some scenes or plots) that at the end of the series we going to get a shenny plot-twist i hope not.. but to me the scenes between sheldon and penny are way too much more intimate (as Jim said), comfortable, and deeper than the shamy scenes.. and yes i know you'll probably say: "but hey! we have seen sheldon suffering because of amy and wanting to get amy back, tell her "i love you" and his birthday present to her were his genitals and it was so romantic (even the fact that sheldon seemed forced to do something that clearly didn't want just to please amy and not losing her again) yes, we have it, and that was beatiful in our eyes because we are the best fandom, the most patient and the most supportive even when we have to wait years for all those moments... again just my "wrong" opinion...

Really ? Is that why he kept the engagement ring in the drawer and did nothing with it ?  Was it why he turned round and walked away instead of following her indoors and sweeping her off her feet when he saw a man who could have been anybody give Amy a little goodnight peck  ? 

I truly, truly don't think we're going to get a romantic Shenny. There has been clamour for Shenny from basically the first episode where the two characters were hanging out and their comic chemistry leapt off the screen. But if it were ever going to happen, it would have happened before now. And the charm of their relationship is, in many ways, precisely because sex is off the table. For me, the show began to come into focus as something worthwhile when Penny and Sheldon began hanging out-precisely because Penny was freed from the shackles of lust object for the nebbishes. She could be sharp and funny and protective and kindly and even-gasp!-unkempt and unsexy. And once the cat was out of the bag, the writers just let all those angles and dimensions stick around and we have the Penny we know and love today.

I actually understand why people enjoy the idea of a romantic Shenny. I don't, because I love their friendship the way it is, and because it is a beautiful and rare thing to see male/female friendships on screen (and CBS deserves kudos for giving us so many sweet, tender, platonic friendships, on TBBT, TGW and even Elementary). But I do get it, because there is a particular charge to watching intimate, respectful and egalitarian relationships. There is a reason that there is so much Sherlock Holmes/ John Watson fanfic, or Kirk/ Spock fanfic. Yes, yes, some of it is people fetishising homoeroticism, but I think quite a bit of it is that there is something about watching two people navigate a grudging respect and affection for each other, perhaps even despite themselves. Shenny are TBBT's canonical bromance, Shelnard and Rajowitz be damned.

So do I feel threatened by Shenny, as a Shamy? No, of course not. I do think that the show has historically frequently wobbled when trying to juggle the beats of respect and egalitarianism with the beats of love and sex, but that is a general problem with the writing, not just of this show, but of romantic relationships on TV in general. I guarantee you that if the writers ever took the step of making romantic Shenny happen, a good fraction of Shennies would look.at the result and scream 'NOT LIKE THIS!'

I love this and could not have said it better myself. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thyanic <3 said:

Ey guys, have you seen the last interview with jim where he said that he'd like to see sheldon and penny have one night together?? Eww, and we call jim the shamy captain?? First he said something about that his best memory on the show was the really really good time he had many years ago when sheldon and penny had a lot of scenes together even he called the shenny scenes in tonight's episode as "very intimate" and now this?? Ugh! That hurts! Jim definitely is not a shamy fan but shenny's... Maybe at the end that is what we gonna get... Beca use we know that lorre, molaro and prady are also shenny shippers... Sorry but i don't want to waste my time if that happens...

Oh for crying out loud! Did anyone who believes this actually watch the interview? You're acting as if she asked him "What would you really like to see happen on the show? ". Or "What is the best storyline you can imagine coming up on TBBT?"

But, hello, that isn't at all what happened. She asked each cast member very specifically, if their character had a secret one night stand with another character on the show, who should it be?

The idea that Jim is no fan of Shamy is a total joke.  He and Mayim have said that they talk a lot about their characters and their relationship, he has said that he loves having Mayim around, that he hoped that the writers wouldn't take her away from him, he joked that they couldn't wait to rehearse for coitus, said that he wished the characters were married, that the breakup plot has been hard, and in that very same interview that you're so worried about that he hopes they do more sex scenes, and more graphically.  These are all reasons he IS the captain of the Shamy Ship.

One perfectly on-topic answer to a very specific question he was asked about the character does not change any of that.

Edited by jlove
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

I truly, truly don't think we're going to get a romantic Shenny. There has been clamour for Shenny from basically the first episode where the two characters were hanging out and their comic chemistry leapt off the screen. But if it were ever going to happen, it would have happened before now. And the charm of their relationship is, in many ways, precisely because sex is off the table. For me, the show began to come into focus as something worthwhile when Penny and Sheldon began hanging out-precisely because Penny was freed from the shackles of lust object for the nebbishes. She could be sharp and funny and protective and kindly and even-gasp!-unkempt and unsexy. And once the cat was out of the bag, the writers just let all those angles and dimensions stick around and we have the Penny we know and love today.

I actually understand why people enjoy the idea of a romantic Shenny. I don't, because I love their friendship the way it is, and because it is a beautiful and rare thing to see male/female friendships on screen (and CBS deserves kudos for giving us so many sweet, tender, platonic friendships, on TBBT, TGW and even Elementary). But I do get it, because there is a particular charge to watching intimate, respectful and egalitarian relationships. There is a reason that there is so much Sherlock Holmes/ John Watson fanfic, or Kirk/ Spock fanfic. Yes, yes, some of it is people fetishising homoeroticism, but I think quite a bit of it is that there is something about watching two people navigate a grudging respect and affection for each other, perhaps even despite themselves. Shenny are TBBT's canonical bromance, Shelnard and Rajowitz be damned.

So do I feel threatened by Shenny, as a Shamy? No, of course not. I do think that the show has historically frequently wobbled when trying to juggle the beats of respect and egalitarianism with the beats of love and sex, but that is a general problem with the writing, not just of this show, but of romantic relationships on TV in general. I guarantee you that if the writers ever took the step of making romantic Shenny happen, a good fraction of Shennies would look.at the result and scream 'NOT LIKE THIS!'

And unless the writers are prepared for Lenny to divorce, or Penny to have an affair, AND also get rid of Amy somehow, it just isnt feasible...there just isnt a point to that kind of end game.

The power that the writers weild is real, no doubt about it, and I dont thoroughly trust them to NOT do the weirdly unexpected, but I give them more credit than to dissolve not one but TWO relationships towards the end of their long run for the sake of laughs.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

And unless the writers are prepared for Lenny to divorce, or Penny to have an affair, AND also get rid of Amy somehow, it just isnt feasible...there just isnt a point to that kind of end game.

The power that the writers weild is real, no doubt about it, and I dont thoroughly trust them to NOT do the weirdly unexpected, but I give them more credit than to dissolve not one but TWO relationships towards the end of their long run for the sake of laughs.

Two relationship and three great friendships! One of which happens to be the core relationship of the show, Sheldon & Leonard.

but yeah, seems legit, sure, why not! :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

• Like 9

3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

I love your analysis!  I agree.  Years ago, in the first seasons, before Amy and everything, I kinda wanted to see Penny with Sheldon. I never liked her with Leonard, not even in their best days and the chemistry between Kaley and Jim was amazing. I was really intrigued for a while. But I think it would have tainted their friendship and Sheldon's friendship with Leonard as well (I love them as friends as well). And it's definitely more unique the way it is.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jlove said:

Oh for crying out loud! Did anyone who believes this actually watch the interview? You're acting as if she asked him "What would you really like to see happen on the show? ". Or "What is the best storyline you can imagine coming up on TBBT?"

But, hello, that isn't at all what happened. She asked each cast member very specifically, if their character had a secret one night stand with another character on the show, who should it be?

The idea that Jim is no fan of Shamy is a total joke.  He and Mayim have said that they talk a lot about their characters and their relationship, he has said that he loves having Mayim around, that he hoped that the writers wouldn't take her away from him, that they couldn't wait to rehearse for courts, that he wished the characters were married, that the breakup plot has been hard, and in that very same interview that you're so worried about that he hopes they do more sex scenes, and more graphically.  These are all reasons he IS the captain of the Shamy Ship.

One perfectly on-topic answer to a very specific question he was asked about the character does not change any of that.

ouch! it was just an opinion sorry if i'm wrong.. i respect all your opinions and it's great that your interpretations are completely different than mine, there's nothing wrong with express what some of us perceive about the show, the characters, or the actors (not in a personal level but the comments they say about the characters of the show), i think is valid to have a different point of view, i would like to see the things the way you do.. but I don't.. and i'm not "so worried about" at the end of the day it's just a tv show.. the producers and writers are going to do whatever they want, they're going to tell us the story they want and it's our decision if we buy it or not..

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

It could all be someone's dream and what us as viewers got to see never really happened. A way of getting around it.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

They already kinda did this with the Shenny kiss this season. So probably not ;)

It could all be someone's dream and what us as viewers got to see never really happened. A way of getting around it.

They already kinda did this with the Shenny kiss this season. So probably not

And you trust the writers not to go there again. I do not trust tptb in the last few seasons and not now or ever. Too much shit pulled out their asses that is irrelevant to the stories they were telling, just to cause drama that was never there. They like to pretend that they write it as they go alone but I don't buy it. They have plans and agendas how they want it to go. Isn't it ironic how Johnny/Miyam , Kaley/Sheldon and Mellissa/Kunal kissed. But no one for Simon. All things most fans don't want to see but promoted. I don't buy it was the spur of the moment thing. To me it was all planned and well executed by tptb. Remember molaro words after the shenny dream kiss. Something alone the lines of what else can we do. Be afraid, be really afraid. Cause I am.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

They already kinda did this with the Shenny kiss this season. So probably not emoji6.png

And you trust the writers not to go there again. I do not trust tptb in the last few seasons and not now or ever. Too much shit pulled out their asses that is irrelevant to the stories they were telling, just to cause drama that was never there. They like to pretend that they write it as they go alone but I don't buy it. They have plans and agendas how they want it to go. Isn't it ironic how Johnny/Miyam , Kaley/Sheldon and Mellissa/Kunal kissed. But no one for Simon. All things most fans don't want to see but promoted. I don't buy it was the spur of the moment thing. To me it was all planned and well executed by tptb. Remember molaro words after the shenny dream kiss. Something alone the lines of what else can we do. Be afraid, be really afraid. Cause I am.

whSent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I would accept that they have plans, agendas, and endgames (or at least should), but I honestly don't think they're that. . .idk not cunning or smart, but that whatever it would be to orchestrate a scene on Conan like that when they can hardly keep up with the internal consistency and plot arcs of their own show.

I absolutely do not trust them not to create some nonsensical drama for the couples because they can't seem to think of other things to do (literally any science/work related/ensemble scene, come on guys), but as it stands, they would either have to completely gut their characterization (which, I mean, *looks at the three different versions of Amy none with a solid arc*) do something extremely drastic for a comedy (death, adultery, something more drastic than divorce since that's already been done unless they do want to copy). 

I guess at the end of the day I don't trust them not to create drama (or to solidly explore the characters who are not Sheldon well), but I don't think they'd retcon one of the main draws of the show, one that is essentially their cash cow (except maybe in the VERY last episode, but even then, that would seem to be a bad move for future marketability of their projects). I agree with @wowbagger but I also think doing something like that would be a bad business move on their part because of how cultish the following for the show is.

Edited by CuriousMeans
ETA: I have not seen the new episode yet or the interview.
  • Like 1

I saw Conan. Conan and Kunal were trying to get Mayim and Johnny to kiss like they did on "Blossom". They didn't want to do IMO. I think they agreed because Jim and Kaley and Melissa and Kunal, who all were just sitting next to each other agreed to do it. I'm not sure what deep meaning can be taken from that.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Lenny have been together most of the series run and are now marrid. What is wrong with ppl. We keep talking about this disturbed ship. As the show won't bloody let it go. They are now friends. Not kid babysitter type dynamic. Sheldon has grown. I dont give a flying damn. It doesn't exist its a frickin fantasy. Its not real. You ppl spend so much time talking about something that doesent exist. Im honestly over fans talking about something that quite honestly just isint important. For the love of god,, im done. Im sorry to get heated lol. But I have a soft spot for Shamy. And this creepy Sp talk undermines the whole show for me.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Have you watched the show? They tease Shenny alot and at least one Shenny episode per season.

If you don't agree fine but that doesn't make other posters wrong for the way they feel

• Like 3

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic