[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

Tensor

23 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

After dating Leonard I don't see Penny with anyone so self centered or being Sheldon's doormat.

TRue that Sheldon has a huge ego but a lot of unusual minds are like that. They're not easy to deal with. I think he has Asperger tbh (Jim thought that as well) but the writers keep saying no. Anyway S and P care a lot about each other despite their huge differences. Their friendship is great (at least for me) because it seemed impossible for those 2 to develop a strong bond like they did.

20 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

.....being that Penny is married to Leonard, I don't see her with anyone other than Leonard.....

and yes I don't think they're going to get a divorce. It's a sitcom after all right? I seriously hope for no drama like that.

Edited by Cindi May

That's why it fiction. In real life penny will never put up with someone like sheldon let alone be friends with him. She would have kicked Leonard out of 4A a long time ago to live with her. The bullshit about Leonard not wanting to leave is OOC. He didn't have a problem moving in with Priya or trying to move in with penny in spoiler alert episode. Just annoying.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

That's why it fiction. In real life penny will never put up with someone like sheldon let alone be friends with him. She would have kicked Leonard out of 4A a long time ago to live with her. The bullshit about Leonard not wanting to leave is OOC. He didn't have a problem moving in with Priya or trying to move in with penny in spoiler alert episode. Just annoying.

Yes but at the same time in real life I don't think Penny's character would be interested in a guy like Leonard's character as well. Especially the Penny of the first seasons.

Edited by Cindi May

A least she would be friends with him and probably will date him when she gets to know him because he is normal and i know alot of geeks who are dating pretty girls who are not nerds I work in IT.

21 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

Yes but at the same time in real life I don't think Penny's character would be interested in a guy like Leonard's character as well. Especially the Penny of the first seasons.

In real life Sheldon would be alone.

• Like 1

That the character of Leonard is written as he is, having one foot in the non-geek world, the likelyhood that such a man could enter into a romantic relationship with a character written as Penny has been (especially in season 1-3) is not so far-fetched. (as usual, my opinion only....).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cindi May said:

As a girl, I think Leonard is quite charming. He's kind, funny, sincere and responsible. He has a good job. He's nice to his friends. He helped Penny a lot when she first moved in. And I think Johnny looks pretty hot in the first few seasons. Penny was portrayed as a girl who had always been dating hot guys with nothing in their brains. She was alI about having fun until she began to get tired. I think in real life, Lenny can totally happen.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 6

On 26.2.2016 at 1:33 PM, April said:
On 2.3.2016 at 10:24 AM, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Did they though? :icon_rolleyes:

(Once more sorry for the strange doublequote)
There's actually a whole different forum called Big Bang Theory HQ. That's where the Shennies are. They haven't vanished, obviously, but they have pretty definitively split from this forum.

Tumblr might be a bit more mixed, though, since you can't really have closed communities there. Call me old-fashioned, but I can't wait until tumblrs seven years in the internet sunshine are over. I like forums and even (gasp) blog/livejournal fan communities more. /shoos kids off lawn

I also don't think Lenny is an unrealistic pairing. Often unlikely to last in reality, maybe, but same interests are actually not always a prerequisite for a relationship. Besides, Leonard is really not that unattractive or socially unaware, he always did have that half-and-half role between geek and normal guy; and Penny might not be booksmart, but since she is on a sitcom that relies on snappy, funny conversations, she's just about as witty and quick-tongued as you can be.

Edited by A.D.A.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, camelliayao said:
18 hours ago, camelliayao said:

As a girl, I think Leonard is quite charming. He's kind, funny, sincere and responsible. He has a good job. He's nice to his friends. He helped Penny a lot when she first moved in. And I think Johnny looks pretty hot in the first few seasons. Penny was portrayed as a girl who had always been dating hot guys with nothing in their brains. She was alI about having fun until she began to get tired. I think in real life, Lenny can totally happen.

Everything is possible of course. But I grew up around girls like Penny not givin' guys like Leonard the time of day. And I don't mean this based on physical appearance,  it's about common interests. In real life a couple with zero things in common would very likely break up after few months. There are exceptions of course.

Edited by Cindi May

2 hours ago, Cindi May said:

Everything is possible of course. But I grew up around girls like Penny not givin' guys like Leonard the time of day. And I don't mean this based on physical appearance,  it's about common interests. In real life a couple with zero things in common would very likely break up after few months. There are exceptions of course.

Season 1 Penny would have liked Season 1 Leonard, he was in shape back then, was kind, had a good job and so on ... so it seemed legit that he could get a girl who was out of his league attraction level wise *but* there is only so long a relationship based on sex alone can last, what do they talk about after the coitus?! ;) 

That's why I would like to see them get a shared hobby instead of just hanging out in 4a all the time :icon_neutral:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cindi May said:

...and I've been married for over 30 years to someone who has little time for a lot of my interests, common or otherwise.  There is something to be said for people of different backgrounds, interests, levels of intelligence coming together and building a long lasting life together.  Penny has proved that she has matured beyond the person she was when she was younger.  She is no longer the kind of "girls....not givin' guys like Leonard the time of day."  She counts among her best friends Bernadette and Amy, the sort of girls she previously had nothing to do with.  She calls Sheldon "one of my favorite people" even though he often exasperates her.  We hear a lot about Sheldon's growth, however Penny's growth equals and in many ways surpasses his.   

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

...and I've been married for over 30 years to someone who has little time for a lot of my interests, common or otherwise.  There is something to be said for people of different backgrounds, interests, levels of intelligence coming together and building a long lasting life together.  

So much this. I'd say it's a lot easier to sustain a relationship where two people share tons of interests. Leonard and Penny never really had that. What they have in common is that they love each other. Good enough for me and for them, too.

• Like 3

But also too much in common could be a disaster. Alot of relationships works because each have hobbies that their other half do not share which gives them a chance to do things with friends who share those hobbies. I wouldn't want to spend my whole life with someone doing the same thing everyday because we have the same hobbies. Sometimes everyone needs space and doing other things without your OS is a way of keeping that bond strong instead of annoying each other because you spend all your free time together because of your common interest.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

But also too much in common could be a disaster. Alot of relationships works because each have hobbies that their other half do not share which gives them a chance to do things with friends who share those hobbies. I wouldn't want to spend my whole life with someone doing the same thing everyday because we have the same hobbies. Sometimes everyone needs space and doing other things without your OS is a way of keeping that bond strong instead of annoying each other because you spend all your free time together.

Some couples can thrive under complete togetherness.  Others do so when there are separate interests.

• Like 2

But also too much in common could be a disaster. Alot of relationships works because each have hobbies that their other half do not share which gives them a chance to do things with friends who share those hobbies. I wouldn't want to spend my whole life with someone doing the same thing everyday because we have the same hobbies. Sometimes everyone needs space and doing other things without your OS is a way of keeping that bond strong instead of annoying each other because you spend all your free time together.

Some couples can thrive under complete togetherness.  Others do so when there are separate interests.

^^^^^

True. That's why no relationship are the same. Each for their own and if it works for them then cool. But posters saying lenny have nothing in common is disrespectful. Just because tptb likes to show them as that for the sake of a joke doesn't me it true. Leonard and Penny would never have married each other if they thought they had nothing in common. It might not be a lot but for a start they love hanging out with each other and seek out each other's company. To me that is one of the things they have in common.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

^^^^^

True. That's why no relationship are the same. Each for their own and if it works for them then cool. But posters saying lenny have nothing in common is disrespectful. Just because tptb likes to show them as that for the sake of a joke doesn't me it true. Leonard and Penny would never have married each other if they thought they had nothing in common. It might not be a lot but for a start they love hanging out with each other and seek out each other's company. To me that is one of the things they have in common.

Very well said. :shy:

old_0030.gif.58f515704386f56af4b04f9ffca

• Like 2

On March 3, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Cindi May said:

If you remember, Penny did grow up bullying guys like Leonard. And then spent the first two seasons not giving him the time of day. As she matured, she changed. 

• Like 1

Do couples like Lenny exist in real life?  I see it all the time.  I work with a ton of male engineers, and many of them are with extremely attractive women.  These women are intelligent, and fun, and often have similar interests to them.

Shamy is a bit more rare I think.  While I think Mayim is pretty, they make Amy dress pretty blah on the show.  That's ok, it fits with her characterization.  What I don't see in real life is a very attractive men with an average looking or below average looking women.  I know it must exist, but honestly, I can't think of anyone in my real life. 

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I do believe that people get more attractive the more you learn about their personality.  If they kind and interesting, looks become less important.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Tensor said:

If you remember, Penny did grow up bullying guys like Leonard. And then spent the first two seasons not giving him the time of day. As she matured, she changed. 

People think Lenny is unbelievable but believe Shamy is believable when Sheldon never had a date or a girlfriend until his thirties.

1 minute ago, nibbler747 said:

What I don't see in real life is a very attractive men with an average looking or below average looking women.  I know it must exist, but honestly, I can't think of anyone in my real life. 

I can. I remember my very attractive best male friend crying his eyes out in my arms when his very very not attractive girlfriend broke up with him. In the end it's the person inside that counts. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

I can. I remember my very attractive best male friend crying his eyes out in my arms when his very very not attractive girlfriend broke up with him. In the end it's the person inside that counts. 

I would agree personally.  I think you fall in love with the person, as you get to know them.  The looks fall away after a point.   I mean, we can all say that we know some very attractive people that are terrible people when you get to know them.    In the end, it's what kind of person you are on the inside that counts.

• Like 4

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic