[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

.....Have we known for a while that Amy isn't a big fan of the RA? The RA whose detail regarding financial instability and intelligent dog uprisings she touted? The RA that's 'more than hot. It's binding'?

Do we really think that one exchange in an episode that seems riddled with unearned drama and continuity goofs is adequate to undo everything else we have observed about the Shamy relationship?

And- even if we're willing to accept the veracity of this doubtless meticulously-drawn exchange- I must regretfully excuse myself from the cosy, all-embracing 'that's our Amy'. That is not my Amy. My Amy was a manic eccentric who threw around Chaucer quotations and whose boundaries-pushing, restless curiosity about life and experiences made her inappropriate, frequently disturbing but always individual. My Amy, even when she set out to manipulate her boyfriend, explained her plan of attack and rationale with such pitiless clarity that it was obvious that she was no longer manipulating her boyfriend, but-with justifiable pride- showing off her awesome intellect. My Amy was a creature of verbal dexterity and an absolute, resolute, unflinching earnestness about matters that would strike anybody (except her boyfriend) as ridiculous or tedious or both. My Amy thought she was The Shit. She was boundlessly arrogant and had no problems displaying the fact.

My Amy was not a passive-aggressive manipulator who pretended to participate in her boyfriend's concerns only to get what she wanted, and she wouldn't rub her deceit in his face in a staggeringly cruel burlesque of his own sincere interests and coping mechanisms. My Amy was not a seething pile of insecurities and jealousies who would-successfully!- plot to isolate her boyfriend from the people he loves and who love him. My Amy, in short, was not The Absolute Stonking Worst.

I'm sorry, I know this is harsh and I truly don't mean to single you out. But I have been increasingly irate at how little actual depth or richness is allowed to Amy this season, and this episode has had her lurch into some sort of discount telenovela villain, and I just can. Not.

The creators of this show seem to have this weird concept of love that once people become couples, they can't be best friends or soul mates anymore. Even though Amy was portrayed as Sheldon's true match, once she becomes his girlfriend, all of sudden she's annoying and manipulating and inconsiderate.

Also, people on the show are allowed to show affection towards anyone excpet for their partners. So Penny can be all sweet and caring with Sheldon. She wanted to hug him when he told stories about his miserable childhood; she prepared for days for his birthday party. But when it comes to her husband, those horrible things that happened to Leonard? Well he probably brought it on himself. And Leonard's birthday? Meh who has time to remember that.

Seriously, what is the problem with the writers!? They're ruining Amy AND Penny. And I think they have no problem ruining Bernie too if not for the fact that she's pregant. Are all romantic relationships gonna fail in the writers eyes? Are all couples be together only for the sake of having sex and people can only have emotional bonds with those who they don't sleep with?

I'm having a really hard time understanding why the writers do any of these things. It makes no sense...

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 6

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lenny got screwed, not just with the wedding, but with the events leading up to and the aftermath. I don't think that it is a terrible idea in theory for Leonard to have slipped, feel terrible about i

I know this might be a ca-ray-zeee idea but can we like not have a Shenny panic attack every time Sheldon and Penny have a scene together or Jim dares to say that he likes -gasp!- working with Kaley!?

Sheldon does depend too much on Lenny as parental figures, but the ironic thing is that I think Lenny also depend a great deal on Sheldon. They kind of use him to not have to deal with issues in their

Posted Images

Ok talking about the progress they've made since the break up, I can think of two, maybe three.

First, they slept together, once. And the writers managed to mention it and make jokes about it in literally every episode afterwards. Second, Sheldon told Amy about his secret. Third, Sheldon is now able to skype with Amy in his bedroom.

But we also got a lot of moving backwards. Like Amy being questioned by Leonard not qualified enough to comfort Sheldon ? Amy getting jealous of S&P's relationship still? Amy considering herself as Sheldon's "best shot" and saying she had to put up with Sheldon so much? Amy faking to like RA in the past? Amy manipulating Sheldon more and more to the point they mention the word "manipulate" two episodes in a row? Sheldon showing zero interest in Amy physically after coitus (maybe even before and during coitus) and Amy being more desperate than ever?

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, shamyyellow said:

I think it's hard to hear about this episode when the last few that we've seen weren't favorable for Shamy. The two between this and the last one aired are wonderful and will definitely restore some balance in the way things are perceived around here. 

Since Earworm, what were the unfavorable episodes for Shamy?

7 hours ago, Judith said:

I also don't think that S/P is likely to happen. Tbh, the thought does cross my mind sometimes byut that is just a case of my occasional paranoid "what if" fits, in reality I know that there's no evidence or foundation in the show for that to happen. Besides, from what I understand Shamy is overwhemingly loved by most people (and how could they not be?), so I'm not worried.

Completely agree. It's hard not to occasionally wonder "what if" and the writers do seem to enjoy playing their characters off of one another, but at the end of the day they're too fundamentally different to seriously consider a romantic relationship with one another. 

For one thing, Penny is a very physical and sexual person. She would need a partner that expresses their affection similarly and we all know that Sheldon views physicality as less of a necessity in a romantic relationship than others. Also Sheldon has made it very clear that he values the mind above all things, even this more mature and human version of Sheldon that has evolved over the past season or so. Penny's character is by no means dumb, but she's no neurobiologist either. He'd need an intellectual equal to hold his interest in a non platonic relationship.

Their relationship is 100 percent crafted to be a maternal or sisterly one. From taking him to Disneyland when she and Leonard were fighting (can't remember the episode, but they framed it like she and Leonard were sharing custody of him) to giving him an activity book to complete in the car after Raj and Lucy broke up, she takes care of him like a mom would. I sincerely doubt the writers would spend this long driving that point home only to create what would likely be viewed as an incestuous relationship by putting them together for any length of time. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, luminous said:

The posting above is from the Shamy thread.

Yes, Penny has to make a choice. And the way up to that point is probably full of angst and drama, because the writers seem to like that. But I think in the end she will definitely choose Leonard. :shy:

There was a similar thing said on the discussion thread. I think though in many ways Leonard's has enabled Penny like he has enabled Sheldon to do what they want. It also doesn't help he is wishy washy on what he wants.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SRAM said:

The thing is this doesn't make sense, she never did this before, she would always go to Leonard with her big problems, so now she needs to hide behind Sheldon, I don't think so.  This is just someone trying to rationalize the change of writing Penny so they don't have to admit the show has turned into the Sheldon Show and the only reason Penny acts the way she does is the simple reason, everything revolves around Sheldon now.  There is no reason anymore than that and that is why you are seeing canon thrown out the window.

The characters Leonard and Penny are caught in the cyclonic flow around Sheldon.  Penny and Leonard have both had their unique relationship with Sheldon, so what you will see in the future is Sheldon sharing his precious time with each of them as the story permits.  Leonard and Penny alone together in the future will amount to crumbs to starving Lenny's just to appease us every so often.  It has been happening since Season 7 when we saw the lovefest of Shenny friendship while Leonard was gone.

i hate to sound like a downer but there is only so many times that this can be thrown in your face before you have to stop making excuses for the way our favorite couple are being treated.  Leonard and Penny have a chemistry that none of the other couples can equal, they are the Big Bang Theory, so is it any surprise they are being minimized to promote the Sheldon Show.

Sadly I have the strong tendency to agree with you, but...

o_0021.gif.0bf8fd337a4677e80953f437239e7

:icon_neutral:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, veejay said:

Sadly I have the strong tendency to agree with you, but...

o_0021.gif.0bf8fd337a4677e80953f437239e7

:icon_neutral:

Wasn't Penny the one that gave in during that Episode too, because she felt sorry for the big baby?

15 minutes ago, SRAM said:

Wasn't Penny the one that gave in during that Episode too, because she felt sorry for the big baby?

Yep, but that wasn’t my message here.  :shy:

34 minutes ago, luminous said:

Well, I have to admit, that I lost interest in drawing Lenny pictures at the moment because of the latest TR. :(

...hoping for better times. :paint:

So basically the main theme of the last taping EP is showing the gang decide to throw a viewing party for Game Of Thrones.

./> Leonard is a pathetic mess. Sheldon’s trying basically boss him around as usual.
./> Amy is jealous of Sheldon/Penny.
./> Penny’s mean to Leonard but pretty nice to Sheldon.
./> Sheldon is being constantly manipulated by both Penny and Amy.

Behold, Game of Thrones is all about manipulation!?
I guess this episode makes sense. :shy:
(No, I’m not meka2000!)

5 hours ago, veejay said:

Yep, but that wasn’t my message here.  :shy:

So basically the main theme of the last taping EP is showing the gang decide to throw a viewing party for Game Of Thrones.

./> Leonard is a pathetic mess. Sheldon’s trying basically boss him around as usual.
./> Amy is jealous of Sheldon/Penny.
./> Penny’s mean to Leonard but pretty nice to Sheldon.
./> Sheldon is being constantly manipulated by both Penny and Amy.

Behold, Game of Thrones is all about manipulation!?
I guess this episode makes sense. :shy:
(No, I’m not meka2000!)

Btw, we all know Game of Thrones is a drama but TPTB would be vcry well served by watching Game of Thrones and learning how a show should be written. See? That  is quality writing!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wowbagger said:

I've been bellyaching about the writing of the show in general and Amy in particular since- well, Season Six, but I've been operating at a fairly advanced Bile Index since- ooo, about the S8 finale. There have been occasional breaks for things like the Thanksgiving episode or the Coitus episode, but every single episode apart from that has given me something to rant- or at least snark- about.

In my view, the Shamy relationship was better in Season Eight, even. And why? Simply because it really seemed as though the two were on the same wavelength, wanting the same things, and that both Sheldon and Amy retained a flavour of the intellect, eccentricity and verve that made me ship them in the first place. 

Why is Amy with Sheldon? She doesn't seem to particularly enter into his concerns or even particularly enjoy the same things (Fun with Flags was so quickly thrown over to support Ugh, Raj), and she as sure as shit doesn't seem to volunteer cerebral, quirky things for them to do. All the brainy quirk comes from Sheldon nowadays. The most we can hope for is for Amy to appreciate Sheldon's grammar mistakes

I agree with you about lack cerebral stuff between Shamy. Any one else feel like Amy has become a put-upon stereotypical sitcom girlfriend ??  I love her, but  she has kinda lost her personality. I forget she is even a genius scientist. All she cares about is relationships. Thats it. There is nothing that makes her unique. If Sheldon had just met the Amy of today, he might not have fallen for her. He liked Amy because of her  quirks and he admired her mind. Its one thing to want to be social, but that does not mean you lose everything else. I love all the progess they made this season but that does not mean they can't retain some of their old charm as well. Now all she does is complain about Sheldon when he remotely does anything related to his geeky interests, when the whole point of Shamy was that Sheldon and Amy (unlike Lenny) were an intellectual quirky couple , who had a lot in common.

Amy's role now is to make Sheldon a 'better person' and 'more normal'. Thats so cliche .Ughh. They used to genuinely enjoy each other's company in season 4/5, weirdly. I miss episodes like The Herb Garden Germination where Sheldon and Amy team up or when they played Counterfactuals, Now only Sheldon talks about any kind of intellectual stuff, when earlier it used to be both Amy and Sheldon.

I have a huge problem with the way the show writes women scientists in general. Just wearing glasses does not make anyone a geek.None of the girls talk about science or have any kind  of intelligent conversation. Its always some  relationship related stuff or gossip. They don't even share the guys' interests. If I watched a random episode, I would never have guessed Bernie or Amy were scientists. Unpopular opinion, but its true. On the bright side, I Ioved the  Howard, Sheldon and Leonard patent storyline and I hope they make something of the super fluid gyroscope !! 

Edited by Serena_nyc1995
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, SRAM said:

The thing is this doesn't make sense, she never did this before, she would always go to Leonard with her big problems, so now she needs to hide behind Sheldon, I don't think so.  This is just someone trying to rationalize the change of writing Penny so they don't have to admit the show has turned into the Sheldon Show and the only reason Penny acts the way she does is the simple reason, everything revolves around Sheldon now.  There is no reason anymore than that and that is why you are seeing canon thrown out the window.

The characters Leonard and Penny are caught in the cyclonic flow around Sheldon.  Penny and Leonard have both had their unique relationship with Sheldon, so what you will see in the future is Sheldon sharing his precious time with each of them as the story permits.  Leonard and Penny alone together in the future will amount to crumbs to starving Lenny's just to appease us every so often.  It has been happening since Season 7 when we saw the lovefest of Shenny friendship while Leonard was gone.

i hate to sound like a downer but there is only so many times that this can be thrown in your face before you have to stop making excuses for the way our favorite couple are being treated.  Leonard and Penny have a chemistry that none of the other couples can equal, they are the Big Bang Theory, so is it any surprise they are being minimized to promote the Sheldon Show.

I have been complaining about this since Season 6 began as something was off about Lenny but especially Penny. My gut told  me (thru the writers) that Penny was settling for Leonard, sure the writers throw Lennies some crumbs here and there but I got the feeling that Penny just don't care for Leonard in the way we were lead to believe in earlier seasons.  

I started noticing Penny being more caring toward Sheldon and how dismissive of Leonard she had become. Then Season 7 hit and the Penny siding with Sheldon hit full speed and hasn't stop. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if Penny gave a darn for all the crap Leonard went through in his childhood, a mother that hates her son, degrades him every chance she get, used said son as an experiment for her books, but nope we get Penny bonding with EvilBeverly, we get Penny keeping secrets from Leonard about his mother/roommate kissing, I could go on but I think most people can probably see where I am going. Heck just look at the 200th Episode if you need more proof --- how am I suppose to believe that Penny really loves Leonard when she is dismissive of him, tells him he probably deserved what happen to him, complain about everything he does, his hobbies, his clothing aka his hat, etc.

I was told it's because Penny has a hard time expressing her love to Leonard and that she is very romantic -- which I don't hold the romantic thing against her but this is the same Penny that couldn't even remember her own husband birthday, but she had no problem remembering Sheldon and went all out for his B-day party. We are coming up on the end of Season 9 and things are worst for Lenny, imo. No storylines for them as it's always about how Sheldon feels, what Sheldon wants, Sheldon must be first and foremost when it comes to Lenny, nothing has change other than Lenny got a crappy wedding, with no honeymoon, still living in 4A, rarely have a moment of just them being a married couple. Oh how can I forget writers did throw a little bone Lenny fans way, they get to stand behind the island in the kitchen of 4A most of the time. Yet Penny can go over to 4B with Sheldon with no problems while her husband is in 4A because she is mad at Leonard.

I had no faith in Steven Molaro or anything he had to say about Lenny but I was told he was a big Lenny fan well, all I have to say is with friend aka fans like him who need enemies aka haters.  Both Leonard (kissing some girl on while on the boat - comes to surfaces 2 years late, wth) and Penny (she and Sheldon has so much in common and she goes to him for advice since he is the wisest man she knows, wth)  have been regressed due to "The Sheldon Show" so why have them get engaged or why have them get married as they act like no newlyweds I know or seem on tv. 

Yo TPTB why are you keeping Leonard around as he never gets a storyline that doesn't include Sheldon and his married is barely recognized. They only reason I see you holding onto him is so that Sheldon can have his favorite whipping boy as Leonard never comes out on top when he is pitted against to the wonderful Sheldon. It's not like his wife Penny is all that happy to be with him (not from what I see on screen ). Why not #FreeLeonard?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

I agree with you about lack cerebral stuff between Shamy. Any one else feel like Amy has become a put-upon stereotypical sitcom girlfriend ??  I love her, but  she has kinda lost her personality. I forget she is even a genius scientist. All she cares about is relationships. Thats it. There is nothing that makes her unique. If Sheldon had just met the Amy of today, he might not have fallen for her. He liked Amy because of her  quirks and he admired her mind. Its one thing to want to be social, but that does not mean you lose everything else. I love all the progess they made this season but that does not mean they can't retain some of their old charm as well. Now all she does is complain about Sheldon when he remotely does anything related to his geeky interests, when the whole point of Shamy was that Sheldon and Amy (unlike Lenny) were an intellectual quirky couple , who had a lot in common.

Amy's role now is to make Sheldon a 'better person' and 'more normal'. Thats so cliche .Ughh. They used to genuinely enjoy each other's company in season 4/5, weirdly. I miss episodes like The Herb Garden Germination where Sheldon and Amy team up or when they played Counterfactuals, Now only Sheldon talks about any kind of intellectual stuff, when earlier it used to be both Amy and Sheldon.

I have a huge problem with the way the show writes women scientists in general. Just wearing glasses does not make anyone a geek.None of the girls talk about science or have any kind  of intelligent conversation. Its always some  relationship related stuff or gossip. They don't even share the guys' interests. If I watched a random episode, I would never have guessed Bernie or Amy were scientists. Unpopular opinion, but its true. On the bright side, I Ioved the  Howard, Sheldon and Leonard patent storyline and I hope they make something of the super fluid gyroscope !! 

Absolutely yes...that's why I can't stand Season 9 version of Amy...if they keep her character like this even in season 10 I'm not going to like her anymore.  They're ruining Sheldon's character as well with her constant push to make him more normal.  The writers are seriously messing up. And they also need to stop with the Sheldon's baby references. It's seriously gettin' out of control.

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

I couldn't agree more with all of this and especially the last part. Never like this season the writers have demonstrated that they (unconsciously or consciously) think science and nerdy interests are exclusively a man's domain. They write an episode centered around science, like the Positive Negative reaction, for the men, and then, almost as an afterthought, have the women sitting around drinking wine and talking babies just to give them something to do. They never ever put any effort whatsoever anymore in showing the women, especially Amy who was meant to be the geekiest of them all, have any interest in something that isn't their relationships or someone else's relationship. The only times women are allowed to talk about nerdy stuff is to shock and amuse their men, as if the joke is that there's no way in hell they can be into that stuff (like when the women are discussing Batman vs Superman), and quickly revert back to men and gossip shortly thereafter. On top of that you have offensive implications like Penny being good at her job just because it involves flirting, not because, gee, I don't know, she actually worked hard at it and suggesting pharma sales rep have no training whatsoever and only go around flaunting their cleavage and the only doctors out there for them to sell drugs too are apparently straight men. 

And it's not like they wouldn't have had the chance. When Bernie turned out to be pregnant, why couldn't Amy be the one with the jokes about doing experiments if she has twins, since it's right up her field of study in a way? When they were doing FWF, why was Amy trying to coddle that jerk that is Raj over his heartache instead of telling him off for interrupting (and since when has she become a relationship expert?). When Shamy were broken up, why did Amy get not a single plot where she decided to focus on her job or some crazy interest instead of pining around for a boyfriend all of a sudden? Last season, Sheldon helped Leonard with his idea, he became co-author on his paper and that's been an ongoing science storyline ever since. Amy did THE EXACT SAME THING with Kripke, around the same time last season, and all she got was a bottle of wine and the entire point was just to show how that made Sheldon jealous and it was forgotten. Because obviously when a woman contributes to a paper, she doesn't even get authorship credentials. A bottle of wine will do! And her career is nothing more than a ploy that affects her man's ego, just like Penny's is to Leonard. 

On top of it all, you have Raj acting like a total jerk and yet women drop at his feet and the ones that don't all huddle around him to help him with his jack-assery and act like the problem is the poor women HE is treating like garbage. I honestly don't know what's happening this year but the misogyny has reached levels never reached before on a show that I always defended against such accusations. Literally all women are on this show for this season is to drink wine and be romantic/sexual/coddling objects for their men, with no journey of their own, no development of their own, no discoveries of their own, no lives of their own. 

• Like 8

IRL Leonard would (already have) straightened his spine and given Penny the ultimatum move with me or stay with Sheldon and they would have been gone. But now I honestly feel that that scene is coming and Penny will chose to stay with Sheldon because "he needs her" will allow and enable her to be the immature party girl with no responsibility she seemingly longs to be

I can't honestly call myself a Lenny any more Leonard has been completly emasculated and Penny has become a self centered bitch 90% percent of the time

#FreeLeonard

Edited by JE7
  • Like 4

When contract negotiations come around I honestly hope Johnny and Kaley walk away from this train wreck Leonard has lost all dignity and my growning disgust with Penny is beginning to color my view of Kaley.

I know they can't really say anything negative about the show but I hope they are as unhappy as we are about the current state of their charectors and it's not just about the money with them to because I would lose much respect for them both if that is the case

Edited by JE7
  • Like 3

Penny has sided similarly with Sheldon before, this isn't new.  She sided with him when Leonard disproved his element, saying she understands that it is like a guy when you loose him you want him more.  She sided with him when everyone was bitching about her and Sheldon's moaning about their jobs, and they both agreed that she show go all out and pursue acting, which turned to be a bust.  So actually Penny siding with Sheldon against Leonard is not new and is no where close to all the times it has been her and Leonard against Sheldon.  Penny is a little self centered and takes Leonard for granted, maybe she is even a little high maintenance, but she has never shown any romantic desire for Sheldon and still loves Leonard, she just seems to be going through a crisis about growing up.

• Like 1

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic