[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

CN6bOCuU8AA1SYa.jpg

Based on the title, flashback episode?  Amy-centric?  I would so love another flashback episode or a AU universe episode.

Could be a reunion. My guess is that is 2002. Now what was any of them doing 13 years ago?

edit

from http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_events_that_occurred_prior_to_the_First_Season

October - December 2002 Leonard moves in [The 21 Second Excitation, The Staircase Implementation]

December 12, 2002 Leonard & Sheldon stand in line 14 hours to see Star Trek: Nemesis [The 21 Second Excitation]

Edited by djsurrey
looked up timeline
  • Like 1

Oh. hmmm. 

May, 1999 and May 2000 Sheldon moves into apartment [The Dumpling Paradox]  and Amy’s cousin Irene and family die in a CO accident [The  

Isolation Permutation}

Lets see amy could be thinking about this:

Amy: Twelve years ago, my cousin Irene and her entire family died in a horrific carbon monoxide accident the night before her wedding.

Bernadette: That’s horrible.

Amy: Yes and no. All those bridesmaids dresses remain unused and available to us for free. So it seems that cloud of odourless deadly gas had a silver lining after all. Check it out, still in the bags. The gowns, not the bridesmaids.

• Like 1

Let's get real. They don't pay Lenny. They pay Johnny and Kaley. Johnny and Kaley get screen time that is not actually Lenny romantic time.

No! Really? Thanks DJ! I didn't know! Thanks for informing me. However, Lenny is a portion of what they play, is it not? Btw, I didn't specifically say Lenny romantic time. I was merely alluding to the lack of screen time Lenny got romantic or otherwise, and the fact that as couples go, they "are the most expensive".

To answer you Luna , as Nograv said, yes, I was being sarcastic and for precisely the reasons he mentioned.

He was? Oh. Ha ha, it's so hard to tell :icon_biggrin: I'm not good detecting sarcasm in general. On written posts, it becomes all the harder.

It looks like you share that characteristic with Sheldon. Do I need to put up a sarcasm sign ? :shy:

Howard and Raj were always second tier and alway will be, no matter how much they get paid.

Really? If you say so. I might feel inclined to agree with you in Raj's case, but Howard has gotten some pretty significant stories throughout the years (astronaut, marriage, his relationship with his mom, etc, etc,etc,) They even got a new cast member, just for him. So, in Howard's case hhhmmmm...no

Edited by Carlos

Could be a reunion. My guess is that is 2002. Now what was any of them doing 13 years ago?

edit

from http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_events_that_occurred_prior_to_the_First_Season

I like that idea of a reunion.  I think it would be cool if the writers continue from Staircase and we could see how the guys started interacting at work and earned their geek/nerd rep  at Caltech.  It would be funny if Amy and Bernadette had  crossed path and never realized it. 

There has now been a change in the dynamic of the show, especially 'Girls Night' because before, Bernadette was the odd one out, the married one.  Now Amy is the odd one out, the unmarried one, and that is going to put pressure on her.  Also take out nights, since Emily doesn't come, there will be two married couples and Amy and Sheldon (after they get back together) even Sheldon should be aware of the that changing dynamic.

• Like 3

No! Really? Thanks DJ! I didn't know! Thanks for informing me. However, Lenny is a portion of what they play, is it not? Btw, I didn't specifically say Lenny romantic time. I was merely alluding to the lack of screen time Lenny got romantic or otherwise, and the fact that as couples go, they "are the most expensive".

To answer you Luna , as Nograv said, yes, I was being sarcastic and for precisely the reasons he mentioned.

It looks like you share that characteristic with Sheldon. Do I need to put up a sarcasm sign ? :shy:

Really? If you say so. I might feel inclined to agree with you in Raj's case, but Howard has gotten some pretty significant stories throughout the years (astronaut, marriage, his relationship with his mom, etc, etc,etc,) They even got a new cast member, just for him. So, in Howard's case hhhmmmm...no

Johnny and Kaley get their salaries no matter what kinds of stories the characters are involved in--girls only, guys only, couples, etc.--so it doesn't really have anything to do with Lenny screen time, romantic or otherwise.  They're not getting paid per storyline or even per screen tilme.  They're contracted to be in every episode and their salary is per episode, but it's not per scene or per line.

And just because Simon has had some good story lines to work with doesn't mean that he's destined to be considered one of the main characters.

IMO, having the astronaut story allowed TPTB to tell a good sciency story that they couldn't tell with any of the other characters, but that doesn't mean that Howard is suddenly more important.  He got a couple of good episodes out of it, just like with Mrs. W passing away and with the Howardette wedding.

He's important to the overall dynamic and has his own quirks and all that, but he's still not as big as the big 3.  IMO, the reason they could marry him off so quickly is that his relationship/marriage did NOT have the significance that the Lenny and Shamy relationships have.  If the Lenny wedding is supposed to be a big, highly anticipated development, you're not going to do it way back in the 5th season.  Even though it wasn't the big deal people were expecting (and I'm not convinced we've seen the end of that story, either, unless the writers wanted to deliberately turn expectations on their head), it still has been years in the making.

The fact that Howard's relationship progressed so quickly from blind date to marriage shows that it's a "second-tier" aspect.  For much of their early relationship (counting from Creepy Candy to Hot Troll) we really didn't see Bernie, then things progressed very quickly through S4 for them.  There was little suspense there while L/P were going through the Priya years.

Howard/Bernie and Raj/Emily are never going to have the weight behind them that Lenny and Shamy have.

(snip)

Howard/Bernie and Raj/Emily are never going to have the weight behind them that Lenny and Shamy have.

Sorry, but I have to disagree about your last sentence. The only main characters are Lenny (Leonard & Penny) and Sheldon, not Amy!
A shipping status doesn’t count in this case (IMO).

ooooooh.thumb.gif.047e981687c12604adba90

• Like 4

Hmmm...This is getting awfully controversial :icon_razz:

I do agree that Leonard, Penny and Sheldon are considered the three leads of this show. Howard and Raj are the two supporting players of the original group and Amy and Bernadette were eventually brought in as additional supporting players. However, with the way things have been in the past few years, I'd argue that only Sheldon and Leonard would qualify as leads and everybody else are supporting. I mean when it comes to awards, Kaley even submits herself under supporting categories now :icon_neutral: 

And of course Sheldon as the breakout character, is the one who gets the most attention and screentime. Other than that, I do find that the Shamy and Lenny relationships often occupy the A-plot in episodes while H/B and Raj get stuck with the B-plot. Even in non-couple episodes, H/B/R seldom get a meaty story or part. This is something that happens a lot in season 8 unfortunately. It's probably because of this lack of character balance that the cast has never won the SAG for Outstanding Ensemble.

Anyway, I do hope that the writers will realise this someday and make an effort to give the supporting characters better stuff or else they'll never get the chance to show off their true talent.

• Like 3

I would hardly call this an ensemble comedy..... friends and modern family are the ones that come into mind...where everyone is on the same level.....

but here surely sheldon is on a completely different level....

and those saying big 3 big 3.....

I can name a lot of episodes where Sheldon has lot more screen time than the other two *main* characters......

can someone name some episodes where it was the opposite case????

if leonard and penny are supposed to be in the big 3......look at what happened to their wedding..... wedding of two main characters..... I am pretty sure it does not get the screen time of Sheldon and Penny's love test or even the second tiers characters wedding like howard and beradette's........ they probably won't even show them exchanging rings and the I do kiss........ a big big lol.......... some main characters these two.... haha.....

For me its glaringly obvious that Sheldon is the most valuable asset of big bang.....so he better screen time....both in quality and quantity..........and anyone who can't see it is watching in phantagrea's or tensor's words " watching the show wrong"....but in this case that is actually the truth.....  :)

Edited by vasu

Hmmm...This is getting awfully controversial :icon_razz:

I do agree that Leonard, Penny and Sheldon are considered the three leads of this show. Howard and Raj are the two supporting players of the original group and Amy and Bernadette were eventually brought in as additional supporting players. However, with the way things have been in the past few years, I'd argue that only Sheldon and Leonard would qualify as leads and everybody else are supporting. I mean when it comes to awards, Kaley even submits herself under supporting categories now :icon_neutral: 

And of course Sheldon as the breakout character, is the one who gets the most attention and screentime. Other than that, I do find that the Shamy and Lenny relationships often occupy the A-plot in episodes while H/B and Raj get stuck with the B-plot. Even in non-couple episodes, H/B/R seldom get a meaty story or part. This is something that happens a lot in season 8 unfortunately. It's probably because of this lack of character balance that the cast has never won the SAG for Outstanding Ensemble.

Anyway, I do hope that the writers will realise this someday and make an effort to give the supporting characters better stuff or else they'll never get the chance to show off their true talent.

I would guess that ratings are a higher priority than awards.

• Like 1

I would hardly call this an ensemble comedy..... friends and modern family are the ones that come into mind...where everyone is on the same level.....

but here surely sheldon is on a completely different level....

and those saying big 3 big 3.....

I can name a lot of episodes where Sheldon has lot more screen time than the other two *main* characters......

can someone name some episodes where it was the opposite case????

Sheldon is the center of the show, like it or not, this is the way the creators want it.   The show is based on actions and reactions in and around his character and abnormal behavior.   A lot of comedy can be had from the B plots, but Sheldon is the main draw.   So, I guess those that call this the "Sheldon" show are correct.   Take Sheldon and/or reduce his screen time and the show is the same as most other sitcom out there, ensemble cast or not.  I enjoy all the characters, but Sheldon's relationship with Leonard and Penny was the main reason I got into TBBT.   Adding Amy to the mix solidified my hook.  

• Like 3

Sheldon is the center of the show, like it or not, this is the way the creators want it.   The show is based on actions and reactions in and around his character and abnormal behavior.   A lot of comedy can be had from the B plots, but Sheldon is the main draw.   So, I guess those that call this the "Sheldon" show are correct.   Take Sheldon and/or reduce his screen time and the show is the same as most other sitcom out there, ensemble cast or not.  I enjoy all the characters, but Sheldon's relationship with Leonard and Penny was the main reason I got into TBBT.   Adding Amy to the mix solidified my hook.

umm.... yeah......but...... isn't what you posted....exactly what I said....

Edit : I have no idea what happened to quote function.... I am replying to jenafan's response to my post....

Edited by vasu

Sorry, but I have to disagree about your last sentence. The only main characters are Lenny (Leonard & Penny) and Sheldon, not Amy!A shipping status doesn’t count in this case (IMO).

ooooooh.thumb.gif.047e981687c12604adba90

True, but neither Howard, Raj, Emily or Bernadette are main characters. Sheldon is, and he is a part of Shamy.

I would guess that ratings are a higher priority than awards.

I would say that they are because ratings are what allow shows to get renewed and make more money. Of course if a show gets much acclaim and accolades but weaker ratings (like Veep), it also gets them renewed but I think that ratings have a stronger effect. After all it's all business, business, business. :icon_razz:

I think TBBT is in a great place. It's one of the highest-rated shows on television and gets decent critical acclaim. 

• Like 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic