The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Three of four season more is a big deal!!! And, actually...too much a big deal! I'm a fan of Season 11 and eventually 12, but I don't know how they can full with stories four more seasons! I don't want to see kids for everyone, or people having marriage problems and so on (like it happens in most sit-coms...) More to my point, if it is true, there will be plenty of room to take Shamy apart the whole season (or more...), involving other people between them and so on...that's is bad!!

Where does that rumor come from? Is it a reliable source? And, isn't too soon to negotiate for 4 seasons? It wouldn't be wiser for the network to order a Season 11 (they have an option for it at the same salary for the main actors,) and then see how the ratings will go in Season 11 before negotiate new contracts and pay a lot of money?  If ALL the actor ask less that 1.5 million per episode they are stupid! Moreover, even if the first episodes in Season 9 have high ratings (due to the shocking Shenny kiss, Lenny marriage, Shamy break up), that doesn't mean that the whole Season 9 (or 10) will have the same ratings...Negotiate now seems a little odd...

Edited by mirs1

More to the point the writers like Shamy. They will be together.

I'm not sure them liking Shamy matters. I think writing them together is easier than writing them apart. It could even happen the next taping with Emily's appearance. Unless they go back to the overused scary Emily I think Raj/emily are at a crossroads in their relationship and Amy and Raj might have a discussion about their respective relationships. just fan fictionIng a little. LOL

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1

S_theforce.thumb.gif.04fa681f574dd54883d

Okay now we are feeling it, but I'm guessing talk of new negotiations is just rumour.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Okay now we are feeling it, but I'm guessing talk of new negotiations is just rumour.

...just rumour.

BTW djsurrey, I had a disturbing experience yesterday watching sports on TV.
George Lucas headed to the Italian Grand Prix podium to interview Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and Felipe Massa (what the force)……

IMG_20150906_153745.thumb.jpg.bb90655400

:codemafia:

• Like 1

For me the way things are going now in this upcoming season, the show is going down fast.

It should have ended after season 6 or latest after the Prom episode.

Everyone was happy and untainted.

• Like 2

For me the way things are going now in this upcoming season, the show is going down fast.

May I offer you this:

time1.thumb.gif.3e06c2d55ce46f61f5356a4d

:shy:

• Like 5

Some of us still like it now. If I felt like you I'd not bother watching. 

• Like 4

What bothers me is once I see Penny and Sheldon kiss, I will not be able to get it out of my mind, some horrible things you never forget.  IMO that opening scene is being done only for its shock value and is a lazy way to get a rise out of the fans, because the only people who are going to like that scene are the fans that have absolutely no cares about the relationships and the Shenny's.

To quote a classic "the horror. The horror." Like you I fear it will be burned into my retinas, never to be unseen. At the least I will feel a sense of being cheaply exploited. But maybe that's just me! I can't wait (sarcasm sign up high) for channel 9 Melbourne's promo. They'll be exploiting this one to the Max.
  • Like 1

agree dont watch but i would like shamy back togther soon please

• Like 2

I would have to vote for no more than 12 seasons. I still would love to see Sheldon raising a min-Sheldon or even more interesting a mini-Amy.

• Like 3

I would have to vote for no more than 12 seasons. I still would love to see Sheldon raising a min-Sheldon or even more interesting a mini-Amy.

I think Parsons would quit the show before that happens. He already said he doesn't want to work with kids.

I imagine having babies on set would also put a bit of a strain on the production with it being filmed in front of a live audience and everything. Personally I'm also not really convinced you'd get much entertainment out of such story lines. I mean, it can be done, no doubt. But I'd probable avoid it, too, if I had the choice!

• Like 2

And some of us like it but not as much

I vote for no more than 10 seasons. With the already abysmally declining quality of the writing to go beyond 10 seasons will be almost unbearable. this is, of course, all JMO. That being said if it's still making money, which I suspect it will still be, they'll keep on going, and destroy it until it can be destroyed no further. I imagine they will milk every last single cent they can out of it.

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 2

On 7.9.2015 at 4:20 PM, Carlos said:

And some of us like it but not as much.....

I still think there's many funny episodes to come.....:shy:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 9

Ever see the Saturday Night Live episode where one of the Olsen twins and SNL cast members have a "Quirky Girl Club" that includes a shrine to Mayim, and their group chant is "Mayim Bialik?" Don't count Blossom out; that show was huge with the pre-tween set which would have grown up to be the prime female demographic advertisers are currently looking for. While I do think that syndication also helped the show tremendously, the show went from "cute" from "addiction" when Mayim walked in and started doing her thing.

In any case, I'm not really sure where the show is going to go this year after it reverts back after the first two episode power play for the ratings. It would seem that the third episode reverts back to the normal tone and plot lines after the big kick out of the gate to get numbers with all of the drama and red herrings. I can see why Bill Prady was so pissed off and fussy about the spoilers for this one, there's a lot riding on the first two episodes if it's true they are negotiating to lock in the show for 3 - 4 more seasons with CBS. Since the actor's contacts all go only through season 10, if they want the show to go to season 13 or 14, they will have to renegotiate all of the contacts, and it's going to be pricey. They have to make sure it'll be worth it, and I think that the Shenny kiss is going to nail it as far as pulling in the viewers and ratings needed. Normal viewers will tune in because they like the show, shippers of Shamy and Lenny will tune in because their ships are in an unbalanced place and we're concerned to see what happens to them this season. Shenny shippers will tune in to see "the moment," and perhaps in hopes that their participation will prove to TPTB that Shenny is the real viable option that'll bring in viewers and thus make them a real thing.

But once Lenny come back from the their wedding in opposite apartments, and Shamy break up for real, to promo tease that the next episode has Sheldon and Penny making out in it is geared to have millions of people yelling, "WHAT?!" and tuning in to find out how the hell that happened, and what the hell is going on. Shenny shippers have little to do with it - nice to get them back if they can, but - it's all about the shock value of the promo they can make. If they get that huge bump of viewers, and they lock the deal for 13 - 14 seasons due to those numbers, it's a cash cow for everyone involved. No wonder Kaley and Jim worked to sell it; they can demand a bump up in their salaries after season 10. Let's say they go from $1 million per episode to $1.5 million per episode for 3 years - that's $117 million for each. So that kiss could be worth $230+ million over 3 years for the two of them alone. Why not go for it with everything you got when money like that is involved? Jim has spoken about retiring. On that sort of fortune, he can do whatever he wants with the rest of his life. So can Johnny and Kaley.

I really wonder if this type of blatant ratings & money grabbing will backfire on the show, though. Once you tune in and find out the moment was all just a dream of Leonard's, and you pick up and go on with no consequences, a viewer knows they got played by the show for something completely inconsequential and cheap. I don't know how others feel about it, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If I was reluctantly opening the door to check out before, I have one foot out of it now. I know that unless something really goes even worse, I'll stay until the bitter end of this show. Once hooked, I have to at least finish it. But my enjoyment and passion for it has really dimmed thanks to tricks like the Shenny kiss, and other things from the past as well - loose ends that never get tied up even though you're told they will be (tenure), or the back-and-forth of certain story lines like the Lenny engagement that toy with you until when they do finally get engaged it's extremely anti-climatic. I think that the ring being in Leonard's wallet was supposed to be this really sweet touch to make it all better, but considering that that is such a huge cliche in fan fiction, it was far more eye roll worthy than touching. Because....bitch, please, that is not original. And the Lenny wedding being treated this way? I cannot believe that the show's supercouple wedding wasn't even on camera or attended by friends. I know this is a primetime sitcom, not Full House, and it's supposed to have some edge, but....wow. Just wow. I am a Lenny fan, or I used to be - now I can't even remember why I would have been or what pay off there might be to their marriage. I've never seen a marriage I thought needed extreme marriage counseling before the honeymoon was even over. What a mess.

As for Shamy, I have to admit I'm not sure if I'm rooting for that either, if Amy remains as "normalized," or gets more so this season, rather than the quirky, stoic, bad ass that I originally fell in love with in season 4. I do realize that she's gone, but it still hurts when Sheldon refers to "their baby" and she has no idea he's talking about Fun With Flags. I feel like the Amy I knew, and the Shamy I shipped, would have understood what he was talking about in a snap, not been completely confused.

Thank you Lionne for expressing exactly the way I feel about the show much better than I could ever do. IMO, you're the voice of reason and have been sorely missed in these forums. I also feel used, and my enjoyment of the show has indeed diminished . I keep on watching because of everything I have invested in the stories of these characters, but it really isn't the same as before . I always laugh at people who argue with me when I say that this or that particular story arc doesn't seem organic or feels artificial , or is bad or lazy writing. They ask how I know and I always tell them the only thing they need to do is compare with how the show used to be written. I often reminisce about the Lenny of the earlier seasons.... Ah the good times....

• Like 3

Looking at Shamy objectively - The split was going to happen sooner or later due to Sheldon's unreasonable behaviour towards Amy, I know Shamy fans don't want to hear that but that's my point of view. The pay off ? Sheldon grows up and wins Amy back eventually. If you don't like the way the show is going then you can stop watching it if it's upsetting you this much. It's too early to pass judgement on the episodes as they have not aired yet. Taping reports can only tell you so much, what's missing are the actors performances. I would also say that it was probably Chuck Lorre's and Bill Prady's choice to split Shamy. When it comes to the big stuff, it's those two who change the direction of the ship. Plus I expect Jim and Mayim are probably both on board with the plot line, if not then we will probably discover that in due course.

agree dont watch but i would like shamy back togther soon please

I think they'll get back together in the second half of season 9. Perhaps the finale or the episode before will be devoted to Shamy getting back on track. 

But as with anything in life don't get your hopes up.

The decision about when to end The Big Bang Theory will likely be down to Lorre and the Cast regardless of what the ratings are doing. As far as children go ? I'm guessing that will be left for the final season in terms of Lenny and Shamy. Penny and Amy being Pregnant at the same time would be pure comedy gold.

I think Parsons would quit the show before that happens. He already said he doesn't want to work with kids.

I think that all rather depends on what the storyline is and if Jim finds it interesting or not.

I imagine having babies on set would also put a bit of a strain on the production with it being filmed in front of a live audience and everything. Personally I'm also not really convinced you'd get much entertainment out of such story lines. I mean, it can be done, no doubt. But I'd probable avoid it, too, if I had the choice!

Oh there is plenty of comedy if they mine Bernadette not really wanting kids and Howard basically being a momma's boy (can you imagine Howard looking after a baby while Bernadette goes to work ?). If any of the couples on the show have a baby I think it's likely to be Howard and Bernadette. Lenny wise ? I suspect if those two have children, it will be left for the final episode of the show i.e. Lenny move out of the Apartment block and into a house with a heavily pregnant Penny. With perhaps Amy moving in with Sheldon. But who knows with the writers.

I too vote for 10 seasons as I stated on a different thread.I didn't like season 8 and I actually found my self fast forwarding episodes (I rewatched them later of course).I got hooked again after the final episode of season 8.Of course an amazing season 9 could change my mind I guess since I also hated season 5 but then loved seasons 6&7 and unlike many of the fans I am pleased with the season 9 plots so far.If we eventually get more seasons,kids should follow for at least one of the couples imo.Most likely to become parents I believe is Howardette and after them I could see Shamy rather than Lenny tbh but one child for one couple is enough.I really want to see Shamy having a child but for those two I would prefer it in the final scene (like an x years later scene) of the final episode.

The decision about when to end The Big Bang Theory will likely be down to Lorre and the Cast regardless of what the ratings are doing. As far as children go ? I'm guessing that will be left for the final season in terms of Lenny and Shamy. Penny and Amy being Pregnant at the same time would be pure comedy gold.

I think that all rather depends on what the storyline is and if Jim finds it interesting or not.

Oh there is plenty of comedy if they mine Bernadette not really wanting kids and Howard basically being a momma's boy (can you imagine Howard looking after a baby while Bernadette goes to work ?). If any of the couples on the show have a baby I think it's likely to be Howard and Bernadette. Lenny wise ? I suspect if those two have children, it will be left for the final episode of the show i.e. Lenny move out of the Apartment block and into a house with a heavily pregnant Penny. With perhaps Amy moving in with Sheldon. But who knows with the writers.

I agree that the decision about when ending the show depends on Lorre and the cast, some of them maybe will be eager to move on to other projects at some point. But I think it depends also on who puts the money on it, which I guess are mostly CBS and WB. The main 5 will earn 1 million dollars each per episode in Season 10, the production costs in general might  be not low, so if the networks don't find the project profitable any more, they will stop support it. I don't know exactly how much the ratings affect the profitability of TBBT, of course there are earnings which do not depend on USA ones, but a share of it  (the USA advertising, for example)  does. So, at a certain degree, I think ratings will play a role in the final decision to end the series.

As for kids on the show, Molaro himself told that they may arrive  if they are going to stay on the air long enough, even if there are no immediate plans. I don't like very much the idea, but I guess it is inevitable, at some point, if they will continue beyond season 10. I hope anyway there won't be a pregnancy epidemic, with all couples having children...I hope also the chosen parents will be H&B, since they got married long ago..The show should end, anyway, with a Lenny beautiful and smart baby...

• Like 2

As for kids on the show.............

:shy:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 3

I am pleased with the season 9 plots so far.

yea I agree espicially since the episodes haven't been shown yet. I originally didn't like the Lenny situation from the taping reports but My stance has softened in the last couple weeks. I think the same is going on with Leonard's dream about Penny and Sheldon. I think after the show airs IMO it's going to be much ado about nothing. In regards to Shamy you couldn't expect everything to be perfect. this too shall pass.

• Like 1

Ever see the Saturday Night Live episode where one of the Olsen twins and SNL cast members have a "Quirky Girl Club" that includes a shrine to Mayim, and their group chant is "Mayim Bialik?" Don't count Blossom out; that show was huge with the pre-tween set which would have grown up to be the prime female demographic advertisers are currently looking for. While I do think that syndication also helped the show tremendously, the show went from "cute" from "addiction" when Mayim walked in and started doing her thing.

In any case, I'm not really sure where the show is going to go this year after it reverts back after the first two episode power play for the ratings. It would seem that the third episode reverts back to the normal tone and plot lines after the big kick out of the gate to get numbers with all of the drama and red herrings. I can see why Bill Prady was so pissed off and fussy about the spoilers for this one, there's a lot riding on the first two episodes if it's true they are negotiating to lock in the show for 3 - 4 more seasons with CBS. Since the actor's contacts all go only through season 10, if they want the show to go to season 13 or 14, they will have to renegotiate all of the contacts, and it's going to be pricey. They have to make sure it'll be worth it, and I think that the Shenny kiss is going to nail it as far as pulling in the viewers and ratings needed. Normal viewers will tune in because they like the show, shippers of Shamy and Lenny will tune in because their ships are in an unbalanced place and we're concerned to see what happens to them this season. Shenny shippers will tune in to see "the moment," and perhaps in hopes that their participation will prove to TPTB that Shenny is the real viable option that'll bring in viewers and thus make them a real thing.

But once Lenny come back from the their wedding in opposite apartments, and Shamy break up for real, to promo tease that the next episode has Sheldon and Penny making out in it is geared to have millions of people yelling, "WHAT?!" and tuning in to find out how the hell that happened, and what the hell is going on. Shenny shippers have little to do with it - nice to get them back if they can, but - it's all about the shock value of the promo they can make. If they get that huge bump of viewers, and they lock the deal for 13 - 14 seasons due to those numbers, it's a cash cow for everyone involved. No wonder Kaley and Jim worked to sell it; they can demand a bump up in their salaries after season 10. Let's say they go from $1 million per episode to $1.5 million per episode for 3 years - that's $117 million for each. So that kiss could be worth $230+ million over 3 years for the two of them alone. Why not go for it with everything you got when money like that is involved? Jim has spoken about retiring. On that sort of fortune, he can do whatever he wants with the rest of his life. So can Johnny and Kaley.

I really wonder if this type of blatant ratings & money grabbing will backfire on the show, though. Once you tune in and find out the moment was all just a dream of Leonard's, and you pick up and go on with no consequences, a viewer knows they got played by the show for something completely inconsequential and cheap. I don't know how others feel about it, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If I was reluctantly opening the door to check out before, I have one foot out of it now. I know that unless something really goes even worse, I'll stay until the bitter end of this show. Once hooked, I have to at least finish it. But my enjoyment and passion for it has really dimmed thanks to tricks like the Shenny kiss, and other things from the past as well - loose ends that never get tied up even though you're told they will be (tenure), or the back-and-forth of certain story lines like the Lenny engagement that toy with you until when they do finally get engaged it's extremely anti-climatic. I think that the ring being in Leonard's wallet was supposed to be this really sweet touch to make it all better, but considering that that is such a huge cliche in fan fiction, it was far more eye roll worthy than touching. Because....bitch, please, that is not original. And the Lenny wedding being treated this way? I cannot believe that the show's supercouple wedding wasn't even on camera or attended by friends. I know this is a primetime sitcom, not Full House, and it's supposed to have some edge, but....wow. Just wow. I am a Lenny fan, or I used to be - now I can't even remember why I would have been or what pay off there might be to their marriage. I've never seen a marriage I thought needed extreme marriage counseling before the honeymoon was even over. What a mess.

As for Shamy, I have to admit I'm not sure if I'm rooting for that either, if Amy remains as "normalized," or gets more so this season, rather than the quirky, stoic, bad ass that I originally fell in love with in season 4. I do realize that she's gone, but it still hurts when Sheldon refers to "their baby" and she has no idea he's talking about Fun With Flags. I feel like the Amy I knew, and the Shamy I shipped, would have understood what he was talking about in a snap, not been completely confused.

I think there are a few misconceptions going on here.

First of all, Prady wasn't fussing about spoilers being shared--there's rarely anything top secret on TBBT because of the live audience.  If they really want to keep something secret until it airs, they'd have to film it without the audience, like the tag for the end of S3.  What he was mad about was people ranting at him and others on the show about the details of the premiere--they didn't like what they read and started a twitter attack, as in, "Why did you ruin my show?!" or worse.  He said repeatedly that he didn't mind people sharing and posting spoilers, but that people should keep in mind that a taping report isn't necessarily exactly what will be seen on the air, etc..  He wasn't trying to keep anything secret.

And I don't think that anyone is negotiating for anything beyond S10 just now.  Once upon a time someone asked Jim how long he thought the show would air and he half-jokingly mentioned the idea of going to 14 seasons because of WB wanting to continue to make money, especially through syndication, but he wasn't talking about anything real, just the idea of studios not wanting to let go of their hit shows.

It's my understanding that WB has the option to ask for S11 and that the "Big Three" are already signed to do S11 if WB wants to.  I'm not sure about Simon and Kunal, but I think they're also contracted for a possible S11.  It's Mayim and Melissa who would have to negotiate for S11 because they're only signed through S10.

But seeing as this round of negotiations cost WB a pretty penny, and signing folks for that 11th possible season was part of their bargaining chip ("If you want $1mil per episode, then you have to agree to do S11 if we want it"), I don't know that WB would want to pay out what would be required to lock everyone in for more years.  If they wanted to go past S11, they'd undoubtedly go year by year, the way most shows do.  They would never negotiate 3 seasons ahead at this point.

And I don't think that the ratings of this season opener would be the determining factor on whether or not the show continues even past S10.  It's just not done that way. 

Again, the ratings of this season opener and the episodes that follow are not going to determine any deal for any seasons past S10, or 11 at the outside.  I don't think that Jim and Kaley "working" that moment had anything to do with trying to bump ratings, but with the comedic aspects of what I'm sure they thought was a very funny scene.  And they can't demand a bump in their salaries after S10.  WB has the S11 option on their side and everyone (except M&M) is locked in to their current salary contract through S11.

I'm not sure where you're getting this logic from, but it doesn't make sense to me, especially the idea that the future salaries and ratings all rest on this one scene more than any other scene of any other season.

All TV season finales and openers are designed to be ratings grabbers.  That's been the law of the land since at least "Who killed JR?" if not before.  Someone's always dying or maybe dying, or breaking up or getting married or whatever.  So what's so "blatant" about this ratings punch?  And it's not about money grabbing, since your premise for that is based on nothing.

I don't think it will backfire on the show.  I think that these stories are not yet resolved but will be.  2 episodes does not a trend--or a season, or a show--make.  And I think it's pretty clear that there's going to be more to the Lenny wedding--if nothing less, there will be discussion--and there will be a Shamy make-up.  These are long-haul stories, not little things to be resolved or finished in one episode, like going to Skywalker Ranch or Penny doing a play or whatever.

I'm not sure why Amy can't have changed to some degree, since all the characters have changed.  And I think it remains to be seen whether and to what degree she's been "normalized".

Okay, this quote thing still has me a bit befuddled--I was trying to respond to individual paragraphs in this post, but the formatting didn't seem to work, so...

Anyway, these are my responses

• Like 3

Looking at Shamy objectively - The split was going to happen sooner or later due to Sheldon's unreasonable behaviour towards Amy, I know Shamy fans don't want to hear that but that's my point of view. The pay off ? Sheldon grows up and wins Amy back eventually. If you don't like the way the show is going then you can stop watching it if it's upsetting you this much. It's too early to pass judgement on the episodes as they have not aired yet. Taping reports can only tell you so much, what's missing are the actors performances. I would also say that it was probably Chuck Lorre's and Bill Prady's choice to split Shamy. When it comes to the big stuff, it's those two who change the direction of the ship. Plus I expect Jim and Mayim are probably both on board with the plot line, if not then we will probably discover that in due course.

I think they'll get back together in the second half of season 9. Perhaps the finale or the episode before will be devoted to Shamy getting back on track. 

But as with anything in life don't get your hopes up.

Post season seven finale it would have been justified, but now? Come on. And to make it because Sheldon's mind drifted off to nerdy things while they were making out? That is the least they could have done in order to make him make a sufficient progress without turning him into something completely foreign comparing to his original self. Not to mention that they have basically recycled the season seven finale with Shamy angst. That is just lazy writing.

And how would Howard and Bernadette having a child be funny? Child abuse isn't funny.
  • Like 1

Mislav:

Sheldon's mind didn't drift off to nerdy things. He was intently thinking about something else while making out with Shamy. So, IMO that was indeed hurtful, and I can very well accept Amy being fed up with it. I do agree with you, though, that the timing is off and should have been inserted at the beginning (or close to) of S8 since this negates a lot of the progress Sheldon and Amy made during S8.

• Like 1

What? Where is that info from? It seems early for that.

Nina Tassler, head of CBS said herself that they have no end-game for the show.  She implied that they were looking well beyond Season 10/11 so thus the "rumor-mill about negotiations".   However, I doubt that the rumors are that far off.   I am sure they have been talking for quite some time.   It takes a very long time for these things to work out.   

If the money is right...the actors will stay, as will the production staff.   Let's face it...even at $1Mil an episode, not many would walk away from that, especially when they know their character well, it is basically easy work for them and they are allowed plenty of time for other projects.   So I doubt they will have problems with the talent.

In all honesty though...my question is do they really have more story than beyond S11?   I personally would rather they go out of the show gracefully and not let it die in ratings because there is no story and they have to resort to the things mentioned above (having kids, marital issues, etc.) and lose its charm.   I already think S10 was a good ending spot to be honest...but now they kind of messed up Shamy and I hope they recover quickly from that and stick to a S10 ending.  I think more fans would feel that was appropriate given where the guys are now in their lives.

Edited by stardustmelody