The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

since everyone is under contract through season 10 I can't see it happening. One of the problems with the show now is fitting the characters they have now into each episode.

Yes. Sorry. I should have said if they go beyond season 11.

To change the subject does anyone think Sheldon will live the rest of his life in 4A Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I hope not, that would be sad. Once Leonard permanently moves out (I assume he's moving into 4B), I hope that's when Amy moves into 4A. TPTB don't seem to be moving Leonard out anytime soon, however I wish they would.

• Like 2

Nina Tassler, head of CBS said herself that they have no end-game for the show.  She implied that they were looking well beyond Season 10/11 so thus the "rumor-mill about negotiations".   However, I doubt that the rumors are that far off.   I am sure they have been talking for quite some time.   It takes a very long time for these things to work out.   

If the money is right...the actors will stay, as will the production staff.   Let's face it...even at $1Mil an episode, not many would walk away from that, especially when they know their character well, it is basically easy work for them and they are allowed plenty of time for other projects.   So I doubt they will have problems with the talent.

In all honesty though...my question is do they really have more story than beyond S11?   I personally would rather they go out of the show gracefully and not let it die in ratings because there is no story and they have to resort to the things mentioned above (having kids, marital issues, etc.) and lose its charm.   I already think S10 was a good ending spot to be honest...but now they kind of messed up Shamy and I hope they recover quickly from that and stick to a S10 ending.  I think more fans would feel that was appropriate given where the guys are now in their lives.

I mostly think very similarly to you, but TBH I don't think TPTB have that much integrity, and I presume (though I really don't know) that they will extract every single penny there is to extract from the show, without regard for what's right.

• Like 1

I mostly think very similarly to you, but TBH I don't think TPTB have that much integrity, and I presume (though I really don't know) that they will extract every single penny there is to extract from the show, without regard for what's right.

What's right?

• Like 1

In other words, the bolded part is based on a Nostalgia Filter.

With a side of truthiness, because it FEELS THAT WAY TO YOU.

How it USED TO BE written isn't necessarily proof one way or another that something is inorganic, artificial and/or bad/lazy writing.

Of course it is how it feels to me. What am I going to write a post about? About how the show feels like to you? You must be joking or it is the stupidest post I've ever read. The bolded part is not based on an nostalgia filter because it is not nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. I simply believe that the show was written much better in the earlier seasons than now. And, since it is an opinion there can be no proof one way or another.

Let me say it once more: OF COURSE IT IS HOW IT FEELS TO ME, because ultimately that is the only thing that matters, how it feels TO ME, and it is the same for every single viewer. I cannot believe you wrote something so obvious. It is beyond stupid.  

What's right?

Not have the characters do things that are OOC (Leonard's kiss, Shamy split at this time, Shenny kiss to name a few), not resort to cheap tactics that are mere rating grabs, trying to progress the story organically  and not bend it and contort it for the sake of money grabbing. They are famous for stalling, but they prolong the story so much that a lot of the things that happen occur at a time when it feels totally anticlimactic. You might agree with these points or you might not, I really don't care  but you asked and I answered, and all of this is JMO.

• Like 3

Of course it is how it feels to me. What am I going to write a post about? About how the show feels like to you? You must be joking or it is the stupidest post I've ever read. The bolded part is not based on an nostalgia filter because it is not nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. I simply believe that the show was written much better in the earlier seasons than now. And, since it is an opinion there can be no proof one way or another.

Let me say it once more: OF COURSE IT IS HOW IT FEELS TO ME, because ultimately that is the only thing that matters, how it feels TO ME, and it is the same for every single viewer. I cannot believe you wrote something so obvious. It is beyond stupid.  

Not have the characters do things that are OOC (Leonard's kiss, Shamy split at this time, Shenny kiss to name a few), not resort to cheap tactics that are mere rating grabs, trying to progress the story organically  and not bend it and contort it for the sake of money grabbing. They are famous for stalling, but they prolong the story so much that a lot of the things that happen occur at a time when it feels totally anticlimactic. You might agree with these points or you might not, I really don't care  but you asked and I answered, and all of this is JMO.

I asked because "whats right" sounds rather absolute. 

• Like 1

not based on an nostalgia filter because it is not nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. 

Sure it is, because your only defense in your last post was to compare how it was written BACK THEN to how it is written now.

You do nothing to go in to detail about WHY it was written better back then.

Let me say it once more: OF COURSE IT IS HOW IT FEELS TO ME, because ultimately that is the only thing that matters

Correction it's the only thing that matters "TO YOU".

Also you can give an opinion on WHY you think it was better back then in more vivid, articulate, and/or astute fashions.  While still having it be a subjective opinion. 

Correction it's the only thing that matters "TO YOU".

You do realize that he specifically qualifies that the only thing that matters is how it feels to him, so no correction was needed:

"...because ultimately that is the only thing that matters, how it feels TO ME, and it is the same for every single viewer."

It appears that you missed that part when you didn't include his full quote.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 3

You do realize that he specifically qualifies that the only thing that matters is how it feels to him, so no correction was needed:

"...because ultimately that is the only thing that matters, how it feels TO ME, and it is the same for every single viewer."

It appears that you missed that part when you didn't include his full quote.

Your correct, I did overlook that part.  But I sincerely doubt EVERY SINGLE VIEWER feels that same way.  Who are any of us to say that there aren't viewers/fans out there that believe there is MORE that matters then what THEY THEMSELVES feel about the episodes/show?

The thing that matters, for every single viewer, is how the show feels to them.    For example, how the show feels for Carlos is, more than likely not how the show feels to you.   What matters to Carlos is how the show feels to him.  What matters to you is how the show feels to you.  What matters to other viewers is how the show feels to the other viewers.  The feelings the show elicits are not quantifiable and very personal.  

Trying to explain your feelings to others  or asking to quantify someone else's feelings, when their personal view is vastly different from yours, is an exercise in futility.   It's not just something that has happened to Lennys, there are Shamys going through the same thing Lennys did last year, right now.  

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 4

What's right?

I think maybe the show tries to be subversive or perverse because that way they get more interesting stories. So they are not "not wrong" but they evade "wholesome". The evasion of which can be funnier. But we got stiffed on the L/P wedding. If that's not redeemed at some point...

• Like 3

I think maybe the show tries to be subversive or perverse because that way they get more interesting stories. So they are not "not wrong" but they evade "wholesome". The evasion of which can be funnier. But we got stiffed on the L/P wedding. If that's not redeemed at some point...

I suspect they want to appeal to great masses by avoiding the predictable and normal and present the quirky and counterintuitive. I think it has always been that way.

• Like 2

Trying to explain your feelings to others  or asking to quantify someone else's feelings, when their personal view is vastly different from yours, is an exercise in futility.

thats alot of bull, people are capable of having vastly different views but can still potentially understand each others point of view regardless.

thats alot of bull, people are capable of having vastly different views but can still potentially understand each others point of view regardless.

And that's you're opinion, which is a lot of bull.  You built up a very nice straw man there.  Just like in the case of Carlos' post, you failed to notice a major portion of my post.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to understand another person's point of view, I said explaining your FEELINGS OR QUANTIFYING OTHERS FEELINGS ( there, I capitalized it, bolded it and, enlarged it for you) was an exercise in futility. So, if you could stick to what I actually said, we might get further in the conversation. 

• Like 2

THE BIG BANG THEORY

The honeymoon is over before it begins for newlyweds Leonard and Penny when the latter learns that the former wasn't being completely honest about a certain North Sea fling. Turns out the girl Leonard smooched "is closer to him than Penny was led to believe," hints showrunner Steve Molaro. "And, in trying to put that fire out, we meet her." (As TVLine reported, Mom's Melissa Tang will play said other woman, Mandy.) Speaking of relationship drama, Amy and Sheldon explore "taking a step back" in the wake of her season-ending vanishing act, and Howard and Bernadette struggle to make his late mom's residence "their home and not his childhood home."

BONUS SPOILER!: Keith Carradine reprises his role as Penny's dad in the Oct. 5 episode. "She's married now," says Molaro. "And she needs to talk to him about that." 
RETURN DATE: Monday, Sept. 21 at 8/7c (CBS)

Fall TV Spoilers 2015: Exclusive Scoop On 43 Season Premieres | TVLine

• Like 2

The plot about Bernadette and Howard hasn't been explored yet, right? Sounds like there will be some fun there...Maybe the next episode will be devoted to Raj\Emily and Bernie\Howard, and I add that's about time for them!! We were assuming that the guy in the picture with Jim will have some scene with him...but...he may play an architect hired by Bernie to completely change Howard's house and they fight over it...The actor had the architect face, for me...

• Like 2

Post season seven finale it would have been justified, but now? Come on. And to make it because Sheldon's mind drifted off to nerdy things while they were making out? That is the least they could have done in order to make him make a sufficient progress without turning him into something completely foreign comparing to his original self. Not to mention that they have basically recycled the season seven finale with Shamy angst. That is just lazy writing.

And how would Howard and Bernadette having a child be funny? Child abuse isn't funny.

It's been building up for a while, sometimes breakups happen over the most mundane of things. Sheldon still has a lot of character growth to go through and Amy has to an extent as well. Lazy writing ? That is quite easy to say, but we simply do not know what the game plan for Sheldon and Amy is over the course of season 9. If they get back together after a few episodes then you might have a point. I hated it when they broke up Lenny, but that has with hindsight strengthened Leonard and Penny's characters.  Perhaps they could have pulled the trigger on a Shamy break up at the end of season 7. But they had a lot to accomplish in Season 8 to set up seasons 9 & 10. Shamy has been on the back burner to a certain extent.

Howard changing diapers/nappies would be funny as he'd take an engineering approach to the problem and fail miserably. That's the kind of comedy they'd mine, nothing violent or abusive towards a child. Your comment is rather crass, all I will say is I've seen the effects child abuse has had on a relative and it's not something I would ever joke about.

• Like 3

It's been building up for a while, sometimes breakups happen over the most mundane of things. Sheldon still has a lot of character growth to go through and Amy has to an extent as well. Lazy writing ? That is quite easy to say, but we simply do not know what the game plan for Sheldon and Amy is over the course of season 9. If they get back together after a few episodes then you might have a point. I hated it when they broke up Lenny, but that has with hindsight strengthened Leonard and Penny's characters.  Perhaps they could have pulled the trigger on a Shamy break up at the end of season 7. But they had a lot to accomplish in Season 8 to set up seasons 9 & 10. Shamy has been on the back burner to a certain extent.

Howard changing diapers/nappies would be funny as he'd take an engineering approach to the problem and fail miserably. That's the kind of comedy they'd mine, nothing violent or abusive towards a child. Your comment is rather crass, all I will say is I've seen the effects child abuse has had on a relative and it's not something I would ever joke about.

Uhm no. If it had happened post season seven, then your point would stand. But now it doesn't make sense. Heck, they barely had any arguments in season eight. They finally shared their first ILYs and made out.

By that logic, are we to assume that having a couple resolving their issues without breaking up is building up to a break up?

What's the point of making them break up if break ups hadn't been parts of the show for seasons up to now? It is a cheap, recycled ploy designed to stretch the show.

As for Bernadette, she didn't hesitate calling an eight year old a wuss over losing a game, and dared to do even though that was her boss's grandson! She assaulted Leonard over a scavenger hunt. She has stated multiple times that she doesn't want children. If the gender roles had been reversed, such things would have never made it to television and be played as comedy. 
  • Like 1

She gave Leonard a farily wussy punch and we're supposed to believe she "assaulted" him?  I think the point of the humor is the very juxtaposition of this tiny woman with a squeaky voice turning into a competitive "meanie" whenever there's something to win, like a sack race or a scavenger hunt or whatever.

I would think that none of the writers on the show would deem her abusive--same things goes for Mrs. Hofstadter.  Their responses and attitudes are intended to be over the top--because this show is NOT reality.  Leonard's litany of bullying woes are not really realistic either--unless someone can attest to having a wedgie so extreme it cause a testicle to re-ascend, or being made to eat their own arm hair or whatever.

The jokes about Mrs. H gluing electrodes to Leonard's head are to underscore the scientific approach of his parents and his mother in general to childrearing.  And Sheldon seems to like it because of his own exaggerated preferences.

There's no reality here.

• Like 5

She also wore her real wedding gown (Vera Wang!) in The Wedding Ringer.It's such a princess dress!Just beautiful. 

I like the one she wore on the show too. Pretty in pink.

That was not the pink one she used in The Wedding Ringer. It was white and  a different style in the movie.