[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

There were some promotional things after filming (maybe a music video as well?) in which she wore her actual wedding dress---her hair was shorter than when filming too! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Entertainment Tonight: http://www.etonline.com/news/153861_kaley_cuoco_recycles_real_life_wedding_dress_for_music_video/

Kaley Cuoco Recycles Real-Life Wedding Dress for Music Video

4:06 PM PST, November 12, 2014

From Kaley's IG...from about 10 months ago

normancookA wedding dress so nice, I wore it twice! Watch me & The#WeddingRinger cast in @aloeblacc’s new music video for #CanYouDoThis

10817522_1573169439581505_1985025611_n.j

• Like 2

What's the point of making them break up if break ups hadn't been parts of the show for seasons up to now? It is a cheap, recycled ploy designed to stretch the show.

What do you want? Kissy Kissy happy times? I prefer entertainment,

10817522_1573169439581505_1985025611_n.j

That's a lot of lovely ladies

• Like 3

By that logic, are we to assume that having a couple resolving their issues without breaking up is building up to a break up?

What's the point of making them break up if break ups hadn't been parts of the show for seasons up to now? It is a cheap, recycled ploy

Why do you assume Amy had no lingering resentment in the back of her mind?

Break ups happened in seasons 6 & 5 before now, so lets not kid ourselves into thinking they haven't been there for the past few seasons.

Just because they didn't use 1 in season 7 doesn't mean they would never have a break up featured again.

Edited by meka3000

I think maybe the show tries to be subversive or perverse because that way they get more interesting stories. So they are not "not wrong" but they evade "wholesome". The evasion of which can be funnier. But we got stiffed on the L/P wedding. If that's not redeemed at some point...

This show is very mainstream. And therefore succesfull.

I haven't seen the wedding yet, but what I have read seems to be very consistent with the Leonard and Penny storyline. Leonard messes up his own wedding, I mean, who could not have seen it coming?

But seriously, if the wedding episode(s) turn(s) out as predicted in the taping report spoilers, I am going to love it.

• Like 3

What do you want? Kissy Kissy happy times? I prefer entertainment,

That's a lot of lovely ladies

Only it isn't funny. And it had been overused before, that is the problem.

Why do you assume Amy had no lingering resentment in the back of her mind?

Break ups happened in seasons 6 & 5 before now, so lets not kid ourselves into thinking they haven't been there for the past few seasons.

Just because they didn't use 1 in season 7 doesn't mean they would never have a break up featured again.

Who broke up in season six, except for Raj and Lucy (keeping in mind that Lucy was a recurring character introduced in mid season and that Raj hadn't had serious relationships before)?

Who broke up in season six, except for Raj and Lucy (keeping in mind that Lucy was a recurring character introduced in mid season and that Raj hadn't had serious relationships before)?

What difference does it make?  You seem determined to hate everything they do as being either OOC or over used or whatever.

There's no rule that says that Shamy get to be immune to relationship issues, up to and including breaking up.  And I don't think it actually came out of the blue.  They were happy, in their own way, and unhappy in their own way.  Sheldon may have been somewhat oblivious to Amy's unhappiness because he measures happiness in a different way--primarily through the filter of his own contentment--but that doesn't mean that the relationship was perfect.

• Like 5

None of this relationship stuff is really funny. But what you have to realize is that there will be probably lots of romantic Amy/Sheldon stuff in the not so far ahead future, so plenty of scenes to annoy the "Lenny's", anyway plenty of forum upsets. Enjoy!!!!

What difference does it make?  You seem determined to hate everything they do as being either OOC or over used or whatever.

There's no rule that says that Shamy get to be immune to relationship issues, up to and including breaking up.  And I don't think it actually came out of the blue.  They were happy, in their own way, and unhappy in their own way.  Sheldon may have been somewhat oblivious to Amy's unhappiness because he measures happiness in a different way--primarily through the filter of his own contentment--but that doesn't mean that the relationship was perfect.

One could argue, however, that the plot is very cliche.   It is not something you give a couple you claim you want to "remain unique" and very different and "do the opposite of what normal couples do," as has been quoted by the writers in the past.   So for them to resort to a cliche breakup scenario is taking away from the uniqueness of the couple in a way.  

They have always handled their issues through communication and suddenly they can no longer communicate?  That seems very "hard to believe" with this couple.   I have an issue with it because I agree that it is not in keeping with who the couple has been so far through five seasons.   Suddenly they are acting more like a typical couple and behaving as a more "normal" couple.  They suddenly can't communicate (often the issue with normal couples).  They suddenly don't understand each other (yet Mayim has said even recently that "Amy understands Sheldon more than anyone  else")?   Suddenly someone that has been patient through thick and thin reached her limit...I could possibly believe that if the rest of the season had had a lot of downs in their relationship, but it was one of the most positive seasons in their relationship and they made some big milestones.   So where did the build up come from?   It certainly was not spared by more recent events.   So is she a revengeful person then?   Is she determined to make him suffer because she has chosen to be patient all these years?   

Why did Amy back-off?  What is the real reason?  Amy has not really explained herself well to Sheldon (nor to the audience really...a lot of assumptions have been made on her reasons, but we have not heard them from her direct.)   The break-up timing I also have issue with and possibly others are having problem with as well because if this had all happened at the beginning of Season 8 it would have really made far more sense.   But to take a couple that was happier than they had been in previous seasons for pretty much the entire season 8, and in the very last episode end it with a "step back" from their relationship was a stunner.   It still seems very "out of the blue" because of all that had transpired in season 8.  There were no signs of displeasure in season 8 until then.   As I said, if it had been the first episode in season 8 for her to do this when Sheldon needed rescuing and returned, the audience would likely have been cheering with her for stepping back then and we would have understood her reasoning far more.   

So yes, it is obvious to me and likely other fans that this was a way to extend the story without having to move them forward to the next step that they should be taking as a couple given the progress they made in season 8.   It is a plot-ploy and it is glaringly obvious to be nothing more than that to slow things down.   

The issue this show has always had is their lack of forward thinking.  They don't look beyond a few episodes and it causes inconsistencies, sometimes seemingly out of character moments and a change in histories.   It is frustrating to viewers.   Most television series shows are required to have a "bible" that has a direction and an end-game plan.   They have steps between, knowing when they want to get where they want to be.   But this show has floundered several times because of their lack of forward thinking.  I know part of that is to react to scientific changes that occur and other opportunities that they have been able to capitalize on, but it seems if the bible had been written for this show, they could have accomplished both the flexibility and the staying on course and direction without these obvious plot-ploys.   

• Like 2

This show is very mainstream. And therefore succesfull.

I haven't seen the wedding yet, but what I have read seems to be very consistent with the Leonard and Penny storyline. Leonard messes up his own wedding, I mean, who could not have seen it coming?

But seriously, if the wedding episode(s) turn(s) out as predicted in the taping report spoilers, I am going to love it.

I think you are correct. They just do bits of subversion, like poking at expectations of weddings.. Still, messing up his wedding is cocking a snoot at the devoted, who really, really want the rainbows as compensation for all those misses over the years. That's what hurts. He never gets a clean run at anything. He didn't even get to be Penny's first husband. The consolation is that he does get there in the end, in spite of the disasters. But the sullied run-up to the cliffhanger sucked out a lot of good will (as did much of S8 for me).  S9 may pump some of that back in. After all, they are still married, regardless of how it happened. And they need an emotional climax for the closing season, perhaps, so this leaves something in the tank. Maybe the babies. At the end. For the "schlock and awww" moment at the final curtain. Whenever that might be.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

One could argue, however, that the plot is very cliche.   It is not something you give a couple you claim you want to "remain unique" and very different and "do the opposite of what normal couples do," as has been quoted by the writers in the past.   So for them to resort to a cliche breakup scenario is taking away from the uniqueness of the couple in a way.  

They have always handled their issues through communication and suddenly they can no longer communicate?  That seems very "hard to believe" with this couple.   I have an issue with it because I agree that it is not in keeping with who the couple has been so far through five seasons.   Suddenly they are acting more like a typical couple and behaving as a more "normal" couple.  They suddenly can't communicate (often the issue with normal couples).  They suddenly don't understand each other (yet Mayim has said even recently that "Amy understands Sheldon more than anyone  else")?   Suddenly someone that has been patient through thick and thin reached her limit...I could possibly believe that if the rest of the season had had a lot of downs in their relationship, but it was one of the most positive seasons in their relationship and they made some big milestones.   So where did the build up come from?   It certainly was not spared by more recent events.   So is she a revengeful person then?   Is she determined to make him suffer because she has chosen to be patient all these years?   

Why did Amy back-off?  What is the real reason?  Amy has not really explained herself well to Sheldon (nor to the audience really...a lot of assumptions have been made on her reasons, but we have not heard them from her direct.)   The break-up timing I also have issue with and possibly others are having problem with as well because if this had all happened at the beginning of Season 8 it would have really made far more sense.   But to take a couple that was happier than they had been in previous seasons for pretty much the entire season 8, and in the very last episode end it with a "step back" from their relationship was a stunner.   It still seems very "out of the blue" because of all that had transpired in season 8.  There were no signs of displeasure in season 8 until then.   As I said, if it had been the first episode in season 8 for her to do this when Sheldon needed rescuing and returned, the audience would likely have been cheering with her for stepping back then and we would have understood her reasoning far more.   

So yes, it is obvious to me and likely other fans that this was a way to extend the story without having to move them forward to the next step that they should be taking as a couple given the progress they made in season 8.   It is a plot-ploy and it is glaringly obvious to be nothing more than that to slow things down.   

The issue this show has always had is their lack of forward thinking.  They don't look beyond a few episodes and it causes inconsistencies, sometimes seemingly out of character moments and a change in histories.   It is frustrating to viewers.   Most television series shows are required to have a "bible" that has a direction and an end-game plan.   They have steps between, knowing when they want to get where they want to be.   But this show has floundered several times because of their lack of forward thinking.  I know part of that is to react to scientific changes that occur and other opportunities that they have been able to capitalize on, but it seems if the bible had been written for this show, they could have accomplished both the flexibility and the staying on course and direction without these obvious plot-ploys.   

Just because SHeldon and Amy are unique doesn't mean they are immune to issues or to breaking up.  Sheldon wanted to break up with her when he realized how much she had changed him, and she manipulated him into not breaking up with her.

He maybe clueless when it comes to relationship issues, but Amy can be very manipulative.

They handle things in their own way, but that doesn't mean they'd never reach this crisis point.  And Amy hadn't intended to break up with him in the first place and only reacted out of frustration and annoyance when he pushed her too far.  He didn't give her a chance to explain what it was she was contemplating when she took her step back.  And since they haven't yet reconciled, we haven't yet learned why.  I don't think she'd necessarily discuss something like this with the other girls, especially given how things came about.  Perhaps if he hadn't pestered her into anger, she might have had some conversations with the girls that discussed why she was taking a step back.  All the girls have gone through some version of this--Penny was contemplating breaking up with Leonard, Bernie almost didn't marry Howard (and was supposedly thinking about breaking up with him, if one is to believe the nerdvine), and now Amy has her phase.  Just because the others went through it doesn't make it a cliche--they each had different reasons related to their own uniques circumstances.

While the ups and downs of relationships are standard comedy/drama fare, it's that way because of the human condition.  Men and Women have been going through this since Adam blamed Eve for giving him the apple.

What makes it different each time is how the individuals involved react to the circumstances.  While the other guys might have moped around after a breakup, or the girl might have gotten cold feet or may not have told her guy she was having doubts, Sheldon goes full steam into trying to bring Amy back on course--surely she's had enough time to figure it out!

What makes the Shamy relationship unique is not a lack of problems, but the way the unique individuals deal with their problems.  I also don't see anything wrong with keeping their forward movement slow.  If there's a supposed payoff to this show--a Lenny wedding and a Shamy wedding or sex night--then there's nothing wrong, IMO, with putting it off for the right timing.  This is a television show, not real life.

If they have created Sheldon to be a person who is only slowly making progress on the relationship front, then it makes sense to me that he's not going to go from kissing his girlfriend for the first time after 2 years of dating, to having sex with her one year later.  Just because he says he loves her doesn't mean he's ready to jump in the sack.  And he was apparently wanting to at least get engaged before he took that step, if not wanting to get married first.

But weathering the storm of a break-up is also something they can show them doing in their own unique way.  The premise is not to have them avoid such circumstances, after all, they've gone through the "cliche" circumstances of dating and kissing and all that, but to have them approach it in their own way.  Thus they do things like negotiate date nights, and sign a Relationship Agreement, and stumble into kissing and hugging, rather than just looking at each other and tjen jumping in the sack, before they even said "I love you", the way all the other couples did it.

Their attitude and approach to the circumstances of life is what make their relationship unique, not the avoidance of everyday things.

And I don't know that other shows are "required" to have a show bible.  I don't think there's any law in Hollywood that says a show has to have an endgame in mind when it starts out.  If a show doesn't know if it's going to last more than a couple of seasons, if it makes it past S1, how are they going to have a show bible and how are they going to enforce it?

I think it's more likely a rare thing for a show to actually have a master plan unless they're writing ongoing conspiracy stories, and even then it's not always the case.  A bible might help them keep track of some details, like a character's birthday or their father's name or whatever, but in the long run, most of those details aren't really that important to the show.  Only to the online nitpickers, it seems.

In the big picture of the show, I don't think they've actually dropped the ball anywhere, except for some people who have more specific headcanon for what they think the writers or characters should do and how they should do it.

• Like 5

Just because SHeldon and Amy are unique doesn't mean they are immune to issues or to breaking up.  Sheldon wanted to break up with her when he realized how much she had changed him, and she manipulated him into not breaking up with her.

He maybe clueless when it comes to relationship issues, but Amy can be very manipulative.

They handle things in their own way, but that doesn't mean they'd never reach this crisis point.  And Amy hadn't intended to break up with him in the first place and only reacted out of frustration and annoyance when he pushed her too far.  He didn't give her a chance to explain what it was she was contemplating when she took her step back.  And since they haven't yet reconciled, we haven't yet learned why.  I don't think she'd necessarily discuss something like this with the other girls, especially given how things came about.  Perhaps if he hadn't pestered her into anger, she might have had some conversations with the girls that discussed why she was taking a step back.  All the girls have gone through some version of this--Penny was contemplating breaking up with Leonard, Bernie almost didn't marry Howard (and was supposedly thinking about breaking up with him, if one is to believe the nerdvine), and now Amy has her phase.  Just because the others went through it doesn't make it a cliche--they each had different reasons related to their own uniques circumstances.

While the ups and downs of relationships are standard comedy/drama fare, it's that way because of the human condition.  Men and Women have been going through this since Adam blamed Eve for giving him the apple.

What makes it different each time is how the individuals involved react to the circumstances.  While the other guys might have moped around after a breakup, or the girl might have gotten cold feet or may not have told her guy she was having doubts, Sheldon goes full steam into trying to bring Amy back on course--surely she's had enough time to figure it out!

What makes the Shamy relationship unique is not a lack of problems, but the way the unique individuals deal with their problems.  I also don't see anything wrong with keeping their forward movement slow.  If there's a supposed payoff to this show--a Lenny wedding and a Shamy wedding or sex night--then there's nothing wrong, IMO, with putting it off for the right timing.  This is a television show, not real life.

If they have created Sheldon to be a person who is only slowly making progress on the relationship front, then it makes sense to me that he's not going to go from kissing his girlfriend for the first time after 2 years of dating, to having sex with her one year later.  Just because he says he loves her doesn't mean he's ready to jump in the sack.  And he was apparently wanting to at least get engaged before he took that step, if not wanting to get married first.

But weathering the storm of a break-up is also something they can show them doing in their own unique way.  The premise is not to have them avoid such circumstances, after all, they've gone through the "cliche" circumstances of dating and kissing and all that, but to have them approach it in their own way.  Thus they do things like negotiate date nights, and sign a Relationship Agreement, and stumble into kissing and hugging, rather than just looking at each other and tjen jumping in the sack, before they even said "I love you", the way all the other couples did it.

Their attitude and approach to the circumstances of life is what make their relationship unique, not the avoidance of everyday things.

And I don't know that other shows are "required" to have a show bible.  I don't think there's any law in Hollywood that says a show has to have an endgame in mind when it starts out.  If a show doesn't know if it's going to last more than a couple of seasons, if it makes it past S1, how are they going to have a show bible and how are they going to enforce it?

I think it's more likely a rare thing for a show to actually have a master plan unless they're writing ongoing conspiracy stories, and even then it's not always the case.  A bible might help them keep track of some details, like a character's birthday or their father's name or whatever, but in the long run, most of those details aren't really that important to the show.  Only to the online nitpickers, it seems.

In the big picture of the show, I don't think they've actually dropped the ball anywhere, except for some people who have more specific headcanon for what they think the writers or characters should do and how they should do it.

Well again you made assumptions here. I never once said anything about them jumping into the sack or having sex.  I never said that they were moving too slow either.  But it is one thing when you see progress being made, they are having an anniversary and things are going basically pretty well, then boom, they are broken up.   That is a stall tactic versus something that was organic.   What would have been organic would have been for them to discuss what was bothering her and both agree that they are not ready for much else and that they really wanted to savor where they were at.  That would have been far more organic.

I think there is nothing wrong with them taking them slow or being careful with them.   But I do think that keeping them more in keeping with where they have been and who they have shown themselves to be is important.   The breakup was stunning because it was so out of the blue and didn't sit well with me and I suspect several other viewers based on comments I have seen posted on this board.   It felt very inorganic to the nature of their relationship.

As far as them jumping in the sack or having sex...I agree they are far from ready for that and I never once had that expectation for last season nor do I have that expectation for this season either..   I feel that there are many steps between they still are going to want to explore before getting there.   That would be organic again...to have them explore other steps.   Some of those might even be through a joint project at work even, or other things that are not necessarily "romantic" in the traditional sense, but are perfectly romantic for them. 

The Big Bang Theory is good at taking risks in the past and many of us are cautiously, maybe even warily to a certain extent, trusting the writers here to pull another coup and win for the show to take it to a few more seasons.  But again, it will depend on how they write it and whether the sudden break is handled carefully (not rushed, but also not dragged out).   I became a bit more cautiously optimistic after the third episode but tomorrow night's taping hopefully will give us even better insight on where they plan to go and how long it will take.   So here is to hoping! :drinks:

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 1

snip...

The Big Bang Theory is good at taking risks ..:drinks:

Don't they take calculated measures, rather than risks, based on their vast experience? They got over the risky part once their premise was accepted and they got picked for extra seasons that first time.  I feel they'd expect most people will go "ok, so now what?" at the break up and at Leonard's shipboard dalliance. I think neither of these things will be a core problem for them;  their long run and their need for eye-catching novetly is their real problem. :)

Not to say that the cliffhanger episode was a barrel of fun.:sad:

Has anyone mentioned yet that Keith Carradine appears again as Penny's father Wyatt in the third episode of the ninth season?

Per Carradine's Wikipedia entry.

Yes, probably several pages back it was in a news release.   Sadly it was not much of a scene..just a phone call and he was sitting in a room the entire time on the phone with her.   No real interaction between the characters. :icon_rolleyes:

Well again you made assumptions here. I never once said anything about them jumping into the sack or having sex.  I never said that they were moving too slow either.  But it is one thing when you see progress being made, they are having an anniversary and things are going basically pretty well, then boom, they are broken up.   That is a stall tactic versus something that was organic.   What would have been organic would have been for them to discuss what was bothering her and both agree that they are not ready for much else and that they really wanted to savor where they were at.  That would have been far more organic.

I think there is nothing wrong with them taking them slow or being careful with them.   But I do think that keeping them more in keeping with where they have been and who they have shown themselves to be is important.   The breakup was stunning because it was so out of the blue and didn't sit well with me and I suspect several other viewers based on comments I have seen posted on this board.   It felt very inorganic to the nature of their relationship.

As far as them jumping in the sack or having sex...I agree they are far from ready for that and I never once had that expectation for last season nor do I have that expectation for this season either..   I feel that there are many steps between they still are going to want to explore before getting there.   That would be organic again...to have them explore other steps.   Some of those might even be through a joint project at work even, or other things that are not necessarily "romantic" in the traditional sense, but are perfectly romantic for them. 

The Big Bang Theory is good at taking risks in the past and many of us are cautiously, maybe even warily to a certain extent, trusting the writers here to pull another coup and win for the show to take it to a few more seasons.  But again, it will depend on how they write it and whether the sudden break is handled carefully (not rushed, but also not dragged out).   I became a bit more cautiously optimistic after the third episode but tomorrow night's taping hopefully will give us even better insight on where they plan to go and how long it will take.   So here is to hoping! :drinks:

Perhaps you didn't say anything about them jumping in the sack, but that is often the general expectation--"they've been together so long now, when is Sheldon going to give Amy what she wants?" (i.e., sex).

They didn't break up that night of the anniversary, but I think Amy had some reasons to be upset and just wanted to take some time away from him.  The break-up came, IMO, out of an organic situation because Sheldon couldn't resist pushing her to the breaking point.  I think we might have had that conversation about what was bothering her, if it weren't for Sheldon's obsessive behavior.  I don't think the break up was out of the blue, but I also don't think that they're going to be "perfect" and just sit down and have a nice little conversation.  Yes, they are at their best when they do talk things through, and I think they will eventualy get to that, but they're not perfect, so he pushes and she reacts, which to me seems totally in-character--and organic.

I don't see the break up as a stall tactic, but simply one of the curves along the road on their journey.

• Like 6

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic