[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

So I was thinking and I do that a lot. :) even though it was funny and sweet that Penny said if she wanted to see a dancing naked man she will flush the toilet while Leonard was in her shower i just can't help thinking wouldn't that turn the cold water off temporary and spill hot water over Leonard. Ouch... penny for anyone's thoughts on this. Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

So I was thinking and I do that a lot. :) even though it was funny and sweet that Penny said if she wanted to see a dancing naked man she will flush the toilet while Leonard was in her shower i just can't help thinking wouldn't that turn the cold water off temporary and spill hot water over Leonard. Ouch... penny for anyone's thoughts on this. Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

For some reason it turns the hot off I speak from first hand experience Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I think that all that would happen in rl would be someone getting a huge dose of cold water if another person ran a tap long enough or used the washing machine at the same time

• Like 1

For some reason it turns the hot off I speak from first hand experience Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I think that all that would happen in rl would be someone getting a huge dose of cold water if another person ran a tap long enough or used the washing machine at the same time

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure. :) Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Molaro is the showrunner.   He's been with the show since Season one.   Prady and Lorre ceded the running of the show to Molaro starting in season six (Lorre was nursing Mom, Prady was teaching at UCLA and also working on the concept for The Muppets.  While Prady and Lorre are both Executive Producers and have input, Molaro, who is also an executive producer and makes the day to day decisions.

• Like 1

It actually depends.  In my house alone, downstairs bath, nothing happens.  Upstairs, they'd get scorched.  This was with the old 30+ year old water heater.

Now with the new one, nothing upstairs and the downstairs gets you a large dose of cold water.

• Like 2

True that she was the first one who said coitus was off the table, but, being rigorous, that situation changed as early as episode 10 of fourth season (with Zach), and Sheldon was aware of that change in her, yet, he still wanted her to be his girlfriend, of course he also estipulated in the RA that there won't be physical action between them and Amy agreed, but, as you have said before, a lot had happened between them since then, and Sheldon had accepted he was contemplating the possibility and gave her hopes about having it someday, so, if coitus was such an horrible idea for him in reality, then either we was lying (I don't think he was) or the idea of accelerating the process (for the sake of her and his love for her) never (or rarely) crossed his mind. So I dare to say he was content with the situation (given that the relationship advanced at his own pace, I guess), otherwise, if the situation was so terrible for him, why didn't he try to end the relationship much earlier?

Either way, altough a factor, I don't think that what ultimately caused their separation was not the sexual issue. I think that her frustration over all this years is more than just sexual frustration (which can actually be a serious thing), but frustration in several other areas. And please, remember Sheldon is not the only one who has traumas because of difficulties in his past, are you forgetting all the sad backstory we had been getting from Amy? Now add up to that sad story the fact that the man she loves and who claims to love her back is unable to really get intimate with her (and with 'intimate' I'm not talking about sex or physical affection, just to clarify)

Well, I don't remember clearly wich exactly was the higher role in the writing team Molaro got around the beginning of season six, but his Wikipedia page says he has been involved with the show since its first season in 2007, and he is credited as writer in a lot of episodes since then, specially frecuent from season four and henceforth, so, we could like the way he writes this stuff or not, but he surely is involved in everything since long, long ago and we can safely say he knows Shamy since its very conception.

It is my impression that Amy became disinterested in coitus/romantic relationship or suppressed those desires due to being rejected/bullied in the past... but I expected her to be more understanding of Sheldon's problems due to that rather than the opposite. And yes, she has managed to get over that state of mind, but different people progress differently and I daresay that Sheldon's problems are even more serious since he even has some diagnosable mental illnesses that are indirectly turning him off from coitus (OCD, germ phobia)... And yes Sheldon decided to remain dating her despite the changes but that doesn't make that aspect of a relationship not difficult for him. Despite his detached demeanor I think that it is obvious that he appreciated her due to her other qualities despite that and the writers overplaying the coitus angle would fail to show the same in Amy's attitude towards Sheldon. And yes, he has come to desiring coitus seasons ago, he said so to Leonard and Penny.It wasn't really about wanting or not wanting coitus, but about the pace of leading up to it. I really liked them both and their relationship in season eight and then the contrived break up comes up, over SHELDON'S MIND drifting off to Flash while he was making out with her. Making out! And he was planning to propose at the time. But one rude moment and-boom-the break up. Then we have Amy yelling at him like a psycho. Sheldon's friends advising him (SHELDON) to move on by hitting on women in the bar mere weeks after the break up. Him actually doing so. Amy kissing another man. I don't get it. Horrible writing and a portrayal of Amy's character.

Molaro is the showrunner.   He's been with the show since Season one.   Prady and Lorre ceded the running of the show to Molaro starting in season six (Lorre was nursing Mom, Prady was teaching at UCLA and also working on the concept for The Muppets.  While Prady and Lorre are both Executive Producers and have input, Molaro, who is also an executive producer and makes the day to day decisions.

Sorry to say that, but maybe his writing skills and decisions this show wise have run their course. 

It is my impression that Amy became disinterested in coitus/romantic relationship or suppressed those desires due to being rejected/bullied in the past... but I expected her to be more understanding of Sheldon's problems due to that rather than the opposite. And yes, she has managed to get over that state of mind, but different people progress differently and I daresay that Sheldon's problems are even more serious since he even has some diagnosable mental illnesses that are indirectly turning him off from coitus (OCD, germ phobia)... And yes Sheldon decided to remain dating her despite the changes but that doesn't make that aspect of a relationship not difficult for him. Despite his detached demeanor I think that it is obvious that he appreciated her due to her other qualities despite that and the writers overplaying the coitus angle would fail to show the same in Amy's attitude towards Sheldon. And yes, he has come to desiring coitus seasons ago, he said so to Leonard and Penny.It wasn't really about wanting or not wanting coitus, but about the pace of leading up to it. I really liked them both and their relationship in season eight and then the contrived break up comes up, over SHELDON'S MIND drifting off to Flash while he was making out with her. Making out! And he was planning to propose at the time. But one rude moment and-boom-the break up. Then we have Amy yelling at him like a psycho. Sheldon's friends advising him (SHELDON) to move on by hitting on women in the bar mere weeks after the break up. Him actually doing so. Amy kissing another man. I don't get it. Horrible writing and a portrayal of Amy's character.

Sorry to say that, but maybe his writing skills and decisions this show wise have run their course. 

new_0010.thumb.gif.147028c6fb42fa0c98a4f

• Like 6

Hmmm, I've noticed an interesting trend among some fans as lately in this forum, things are quite obvious when we are talking about Sheldon, yet at the same time, things are baffling and hard to understand when we talk about Amy, even when none of those things are openly said or stated in the dialogue or even implied in the show. I mean, it's obvious that despite his detached demeanor and insults, he appreciates Amy, whereas it's confusing, disheartening and dissapointing that Amy is not being an ugly crying mess over the break up, heck! we are even doubting if she ever loved him!

Interesting, isn't it?

Sorry for nitpicking, but I think that couple of things have not been clearly stated in the show, he didn't say he desired coitus, he said it was becoming a probability for him, also, do we know for sure he was planning to propose her just before the break up or this had not been yet confirmed?

Errrm, you forgot to mention that yes, Amy yelled at him, but just after he harrassed her, how would I say it?, "like a psycho"? and just after he insulted her in an awful manner publicly, to a woman he obviously appreciates greatly, don't you think that qualifies as an horrible portrayal of Sheldon's character as well?

I would give this post a hundred likes if I could

tumblr_lsv705wSiL1qatsmq.gif

• Like 5

MISLAV ... do you really know anything about WOMEN and what they need from their BOYFRIEND ....

They need to be pampered even though they may say they don't

And did you really watch that episode and listen to what PENNY said to Sheldon ... She told him that during the date and since it was their FIFTH anniversary he should have paid much more and better attention to AMY ... but SHELDON didn't he ignored her and even told her so he was not putting his whole attention on HER that was why she angry face right after kissy face ...

Amy has evolved during the last 5 years Sheldon has not ... he has changed somewhat ... Amy has wanted to be more that what she was she wants a relationship like Penny and Bernadette. She can se her two friends be happy with their respective mates and she craves the same thing. These are some of the things that you can't see and have ignored. When I watched the break up  I could see where Amy was coming from and why she got angry with Sheldon ... and you can say what ever you want about the ring that he had we saw it but she did not and has NO knowledge of this ring ... SHE asked for some space .. HE did not give it to her, he was arrogant and determined that the next day was enough time, she need more time to think about it ... since this is TV and not real they are pushing the story line ... give it another 3 to 5 shows and maybe the resolution will show itself ... and MOLARO is a genius when it come to this break up ... he has everybody talking about it and the show ... look at all the electronic ink that has been used up over the last 7 or so weeks ....

So I say, enjoy the show let the writers write and make up the stories and mess with the characters that we love so much and stop bitching... OBTW when you watch the CREDITS and the WRITERS list look whos on it .... they run the story with MOLARO ... and if he was doing such a POOR job he would have been FIRED ....

MY TWO PENNIES  ON THIS SUBJECT .... 

• Like 9

It all depends on the plumbing.

In a house or unit with it's own water heater flushing the toilet reduces the water pressure on the cold side and a person in the sowed can get extra hot water as a result.  How hot the hot water is depends on a lot of things including what the temperature the hot water heater is set to. By the way the cold water pressure drops because of the flow in the cold water pipes. The longer the pipe the greater the pressure drop.

I have never experienced the same thing in an apartment tower or hotel. They must design the plumbing to avoid such occurrences. Very tall buildings require more elaborate the plumbing and pumps because of the static pressure difference in a vertical water column.  Don't know how many floors TBBT building is supposed to have but if the flush the toilet trick were to work there I think it would mean each unit has it's own hot water heater. No one would tolerate the sudden temperature/pressure change if a neighbour flushed their toilet in a different unit. 

legacy99 suggested experience where the shower gets cold after a toilet flush. I have never experienced that anywhere (but I have not been to the UK or Europe). In north america houses and small apartments typically  have water heater in the form of a big tank. Big buildings might use a boiler or some form of in line heater. I have heard that in the UK people use in-line heaters in homes that heat on demand instead of having a big tank of hot water that can run cold if too many people have showers one after another.

I was with you til the furry boots. There's a reason they're called Uggs. :icon_wink:

#FlipFlopsRule

I'm not saying I love the Uggs, but Penny looked pretty hot in that episode.

Seriously someone who doesn't know where from wear is making fun of a typo?

It's all good. Having fun is wear it's at. (lol)

• Like 1

It all depends on the plumbing.

In a house or unit with it's own water heater flushing the toilet reduces the water pressure on the cold side and a person in the sowed can get extra hot water as a result.  How hot the hot water is depends on a lot of things including what the temperature the hot water heater is set to. By the way the cold water pressure drops because of the flow in the cold water pipes. The longer the pipe the greater the pressure drop.

I have never experienced the same thing in an apartment tower or hotel. They must design the plumbing to avoid such occurrences. Very tall buildings require more elaborate the plumbing and pumps because of the static pressure difference in a vertical water column.  Don't know how many floors TBBT building is supposed to have but if the flush the toilet trick were to work there I think it would mean each unit has it's own hot water heater. No one would tolerate the sudden temperature/pressure change if a neighbour flushed their toilet in a different unit. 

legacy99 suggested experience where the shower gets cold after a toilet flush. I have never experienced that anywhere (but I have not been to the UK or Europe). In north america houses and small apartments typically  have water heater in the form of a big tank. Big buildings might use a boiler or some form of in line heater. I have heard that in the UK people use in-line heaters in homes that heat on demand instead of having a big tank of hot water that can run cold if too many people have showers one after another.

I've lived in a few apts that we built in the mid 50's and they all had that problem. It made for some interesting showers when someone is mad at you Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I am not saying that his mistake should be excused. I am saying that, in my opinion, that problem between them has been resolved and doesn't warrant a break up.

As for Amy... When they first met, they had no interest in a romantic relationship and Amy was the first one to bring up that the coitus is off the table. Suddenly, somewhere near the end of season five, she turned into a woman desperate for coitus from Sheldon. Even worse when you keep in mind the problems that keep Sheldon from desiring coitus. That is the problem: most of his bad behavior being considered to be his disinterest in coitus (I know there are other things too) when their relationship wasn't based on it at first, the way he was informed, and his OCD and phobias are making him disinterested in coitus, which is a way more serious thing than a sexual frustration.

Then by season eight she stops complaining about the lack of coitus or desperately climnging for any kind of physical intimacy from Sheldon. They are shown enjoying many things together, really understanding each other, he finally tells her "I love you", they make out in season eight finale etc. Then they make her break up with him because his mind drifted off to something else while he was making out with her. And it is revealed that if she hadn't, he would have proposed to her soon.

As for Molaro, if he already has such messed up views, he should have at least tried exploring Amy's POV further and write the post break up story in a funny and IC way. And provide some build up to a break up in season eight. I am not sure how much has he researched about the ship before becoming the writer since he says "five years" but Shamy had little to no problems in season four. Maybe they should find somebody who knows to get the job done.

First of all I think that people are allowed to change, as they evolve, mature, and grow up. No one is the same in their teens, 20's 30's, 40's etc.  You seem to believe that lack of coitus is the main problem , but I think that Amy not being a more of a priority for Sheldon is more the catalyst for Amy's frustrations. based on what's already canon. For more detail refer to my previous post in answer to yours.

I really don't know how you expect a break up to be funny. It's not supposed to be. I see it as a tool they're using to make Sheldon suffer, because from suffering comes growth. the growth needed for Sheldon to be able to love someone besides himself. Also I'd venture to say that with approximately 20 million viewers TPTB are pretty happy with Molaro.

Once again, meka, you haven't provided any examples that would support the "countless" part, and I daresay that that, logically, can't be applied to season eight, in other words TWENTY FOUR EPISODES, at least in my opinion, and I've already explained my feelings about that line: it is a lazy writing just like the rest of the break up story, especially five years part, since Amy was not at all interested in coitus in season four.

And stop with the assumption logic... once again, we can only go by what the writers show us. If Leonard and Penny suddenly break up would you say that she has been unhappy with him for years only the writers weren't showing it so it is OK? Yes, people will complain about me comparing Lenny and Shamy again, but it is basically the same thing: writers pulling the stuff out of their... hat, at the risk of humor and continuity.

Well, Mekka at least provided one example didn't he? Also, why is it relevant that Amy was not interested in coitus  in S4? Are people not allowed to change? Furthermore, maybe she wasn't interested in coitus because she hadn't find the man of her dreams, and now that she has, she's experiencing feelings she never had before. When I refer to these feelings I'm not referring to feelings of an exclusive sexual nature, but more the overall physical manifestation of their love. As far as purely sexual urges TPTB have suggested she took care of them with "Gerard" for a long time.

Or maybe, just maybe you could be wrong, right?  20 million people disagree with you. Just saying.

• Like 8

Yeah... I don't understand why would you post this in the first place, or why the gifs seem to be your only way of expressing yourself about things.

Perhaps I can be of assistance. I think it could be because:

1) A picture is worth 1,000 words. (For the record I don't know how many words a GIF is worth, but logic would dictate more than 1,000)

2) Because he's bored with your posts or last post? I don't really know. That's what  I  get from the GIF, anyway.

• Like 4

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic