[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

Find out #KaleyCuoco's 1st reaction to reading the #BigBangTheory script featuring the big

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/news/1004810/that-kiss-get-the-skinny-on-penny-and-sheldon-s-shocking-smooch-/

Fans went bananas after the smooch, so we reached out to Steve Molaro, Executive Producer of The Big Bang Theory, who allowed us to pick his brain about this particularly unexpected puckering. 

How did the scene come to be, and how long have you wanted it to happen?
Steve Molaro: 
We needed a scene to recap where we were in the rocky start to Leonard and Penny's marriage. Eventually, we landed on the dream sequence and hoped Sheldon and Penny making out would be an explosive start to the episode. The first thing Kaley [Cuoco] asked me when she saw the script was, "How long have you been waiting for Penny and Sheldon to do this?" She already knew the answer was "Forever."

What was it like to shoot? How did the live audience react?
SM: 
The audience went insane. Jim [Parsons] and Kaley actually held the kiss a lot longer than what was on TV—and the audience was happy to scream until they stopped. It was an amazing moment and it set the tone for a really fun night on the stage. 

What's your response to the rabid fan reaction?
SM:
 I suppose my reaction is, "Cool! Who should we have make out next?" I'm so happy to hear the audience enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed shooting it. 

We've seen this before where  Sheldon and Penny were paired up in The Intimacy Acceleration.   I mean Sheldon tells Penny about his birthday, something that apparently Amy hasn't known in five years.  That is a huge piece of knowledge.    We've seen these two confide in each other about their relationship problems, and even after the breakup, Penny is the first one Sheldon seeks out for comfort.

So, is the ultimate goal to destroy Shamy for good and then find some other form of discord in Lenny's marriage to eventually pair Penny and Sheldon up because they can't find happiness with their significant others?  

The Shenny kiss didn't bother me, but now I wonder if this is some type for foreshadow of things to come down the road.   Is Molaro a Shenny?

We've seen this before where  Sheldon and Penny were paired up in The Intimacy Acceleration.   I mean Sheldon tells Penny about his birthday, something that apparently Amy hasn't known in five years.  That is a huge piece of knowledge.    We've seen these two confide in each other about their relationship problems, and even after the breakup, Penny is the first one Sheldon seeks out for comfort.

So, is the ultimate goal to destroy Shamy for good and then find some other form of discord in Lenny's marriage to eventually pair Penny and Sheldon up because they can't find happiness with their significant others?  

The Shenny kiss didn't bother me, but now I wonder if this is some type for foreshadow of things to come down the road.   Is Molaro a Shenny?

I don't even want to consider it

etsIzkG.gif

• Like 6

I'd be done with tbbt really quick if that happened Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Molaro is a self admitted Lenny protector and admits that he identifies with Leonard. There is almost zero chance that Penny and Leonard won't be together from this point on. But he does recognize Shenny fandom  and likes to tease it to keep them watching the show. He knows Kaley is the queen of Lenny supporters and you can imagine how she asked that question of him after reading the script about the kiss.

Here's how he seems to balance those competing positions (from the Hollywood Reporter, July 29, 2013):

THR: There's a large contingent of fans interested in seeing romance between Penny and Sheldon. Is that something we'll see?

Molaro: Probably not. But I love that people root for that. I love the Penny-Sheldon relationship as much as I love anything on this show. I think her love for him is very real, as is Kaley and Jim's relationship in real life. I think that translates. She is like the big sister who is taking care of him -- or sort of a mother figure. I go back and watch the pilot where she meets them and it took a while, but she really loves these guys; it's very tangible and my favorite thing. As annoying as he is, she cares so much and would never go there. She's always there for him; they may have fights, but she's there and you can feel it. The love is real between all seven characters.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 6

:banghead:  This is actually where you think this is where they are going? You are joking right?

Will you please get a grip!!  

The Birthday BS - supposedly NOBODY knew Sheldon's birthday.  I still call MAJOR BS on this because they're saying even Leonard, his roommate for over a decade, didn't know it?  Yeah, right.  And let's not forget the man does have a twin sister who shares the same damn birthday and isn't as anal about stupid crap like that.  I'm sure any of them could've called her up (or even Mary for that matter) and asked.  

Who the hell is he supposed to ask when he needs a female point of view for relationship advice?  He's got Penny or Bernie to choose from and considering out of the two, he's closer to Penny and HE THINKS OF HER LIKE A SISTER, he's going to ask Penny.  

Do you really think the writers are going to end up with Shenny being end game?  With less than 2 (MAYBE 3) seasons left, after they JUST married off Lenny? Seriously?  They don't have time to make it believable and even the casual viewer would cry BS.

No I don't think the Shenny kiss is foreshadowing.  IT WAS LEONARDS NIGHTMARE!!!

Sheldon & Penny don't even know about it and it probably never even crossed their minds.  Or even Leonards until that weird nightmare and according to his scene with Mandy, he has a lot of weird dreams with Sheldon in them.

• Like 7

well after the Lenny broke up who else would she confide in? Howard and Raj. Amy and Bernie weren't around then. Penny knows him as long as Leonard  so it.'s not that big a deal. As Molaro pointed out the audience loved the kiss. I think the majority don't over analyze things like people on here do.

• Like 1

Molaro is a self admitted Lenny protector and admits that he identifies with Leonard. There is almost zero chance that Penny and Leonard won't be together from this point on. But he does recognize Shenny fandom  and likes to tease it to keep them watching the show. He knows Kaley is the queen of Lenny supporters and you can imagine how she asked that question of him after reading the script about the kiss.

Here's how he seems to balance those competing positions (from the Hollywood Reporter, July 29, 2013):

THR: There's a large contingent of fans interested in seeing romance between Penny and Sheldon. Is that something we'll see?

Molaro: Probably not. But I love that people root for that. I love the Penny-Sheldon relationship as much as I love anything on this show. I think her love for him is very real, as is Kaley and Jim's relationship in real life. I think that translates. She is like the big sister who is taking care of him -- or sort of a mother figure. I go back and watch the pilot where she meets them and it took a while, but she really loves these guys; it's very tangible and my favorite thing. As annoying as he is, she cares so much and would never go there. She's always there for him; they may have fights, but she's there and you can feel it. The love is real between all seven characters.

Thank you for sharing.  I feel much better now.

Ok, I'm done.   Good night.

Well besides all the other reply posts, think of the result would be. Penny would betray Leonard. Leonard and Penny have become each others best friend, besides being attracted to each other and later in love with each other from season 1 episode 1. Penny would also be betraying Amy, who she's become really good friends with. Right now many Shamy shippers can't stand Amy. If Penny did what is being contemplated she would be despised by many of the hardcore fans, and many of the casual viewers too.

I just don't see it happening for so many different reasons.

• Like 7

...there you go.

Besides even in ep 9.01 Sheldon thinks Mandy's standards are low because she kissed Leonard.

Penny: Hey, I'm with Leonard

Sheldon: and that's forever!

Sheldon and Penny could never be together. He is "so not the guy"  for her and she is "just a blond monkey" to him (when it comes to physics which he is thinking about much of the time). Penny on the other hand does have a better grasp on relationships so he will talk to her about that. Well some of the time. And Penny is basically a good hearted person (as is Leonard) who can talk to Sheldon when he is not being too insulting.

there will never be any "thing" going on between those two.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 6

I will be so glad when my new laptop gets here, I have like 500 gifs/pics on my phone now finding the one I want is getting to be a real bitch. :rtfm:

Edited by JE7

Y'know, when I worry about myself I come here. And then I feel much, much better. LOL.

Same here! And my collegues call ME crazy?! ;-) LOL

You're all great guys! Really, you can lose control, you can lose your patience - as long as you don't lose your sense of humour, everything is fine. :-)

• Like 5

Y'know, when I worry about myself I come here. And then I feel much, much better. LOL.

Same here! And my collegues call ME crazy?! ;-) LOL

You're all great guys! Really, you can lose control, you can lose your patience - as long as you don't lose your sense of humour, everything is fine. :-)

misc_0115.thumb.gif.ab30da599bbc8449d3d9

Yes to all!   :icon_razz:

• Like 3

The Birthday BS - supposedly NOBODY knew Sheldon's birthday.  I still call MAJOR BS on this because they're saying even Leonard, his roommate for over a decade, didn't know it?  Yeah, right.  And let's not forget the man does have a twin sister who shares the same damn birthday and isn't as anal about stupid crap like that.  I'm sure any of them could've called her up (or even Mary for that matter) and asked.  

Who the hell is he supposed to ask when he needs a female point of view for relationship advice?  He's got Penny or Bernie to choose from and considering out of the two, he's closer to Penny and HE THINKS OF HER LIKE A SISTER, he's going to ask Penny.  

Do you really think the writers are going to end up with Shenny being end game?  With less than 2 (MAYBE 3) seasons left, after they JUST married off Lenny? Seriously?  They don't have time to make it believable and even the casual viewer would cry BS.

No I don't think the Shenny kiss is foreshadowing.  IT WAS LEONARDS NIGHTMARE!!!

Sheldon & Penny don't even know about it and it probably never even crossed their minds.  Or even Leonards until that weird nightmare and according to his scene with Mandy, he has a lot of weird dreams with Sheldon in them.

I sort of agree with all of what you are saying. The musical chair-writers have made it a tendency over the seasons to make Penny into Sheldon's big sister/mother/monoparental mother and it sits well in the overall dynamics. It sits well in the chemistry between Amy/bestie and Sheldon/brother/stepson where Penny can be confidente to both. (Note the feminine - I speak Canadian French) I say to all of you: do not worry so much about Shennynigans. It's like falling into clinical depression based on nightmare interpretation. Penny - by definition - needs to be and stay the feminine "other" pole of the story. She is great at it, Kaley is great at it, and everyone loves her that way. The MCW know that. It pays for the hole in the floor.

• Like 5

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic