The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Thanks a lot for the report!!!

I think this will be a great season.. full of surprises..  but in a good way! :)

thanks again

Looks like it's going to be a rocky relationship season for a least part of season 9.

• Like 2

Mitchy, Kazzie, Nickolette, thank you for the report! You're great.

Which can not be said for the premiere.

First reaction after reading the report: WTF is this shit

In season eight, Sheldon and Amy had kissed multiple times, he had told her "I love you", they had had a passionate make out session. Now she breaks up with him because his mind drifted away while they had been making out. She didn't break up with him after the events of season seven finale, but now she has.

And sorry, you can't tell me that it was all Sheldon's fault. Do you have any idea how hard it is for people with such strong phobias and troubled upbringing to change? Feel lucky that you don't have such problems.  I am sure that it has been a struggle to him, especially because it relates to the woman he loves. Of course he will come out as rude at times-it is frustrating, I think even more so than Amy's desire for him to change. Is he completely innocent? Of course not! His phobias don't justify everything. Was the relationship moving too slow? In certain areas it did. But did he deserve such treatment? No. Was the break up OOC and unnecessary? Of course it was. Was Amy too cruel? Yes.

Amy knew the way he was when she started dating him and he was probably on his best behavior towards her (comparing to other seasons) in season eight. Not to mention that she should have known how affecting such harsh decisions are to the man she loves and that they wouldn't change him for the better, quite the opposite. I know that many progress was made when Amy would "push" him, but none of it was that extreme. If she had staid with him, she would have probably ended up getting proposed within days. Why should I feel sorry for her then? I still like Amy, but sorry people, I can't sympathize with her in this situation. 

If the writers made Shamy break but had Lenny get married and be in a good place, I would have been
much more OK with the report. I would have figured: "OK, we will have a Lenny centric season, as opposed to a Shamy centric season eight, which is fair, the Shamy storyline could have been written better, but it is due to a focus shift, writers still care about the couples, everything will be OK."

But no. They had to add Lenny drama too. 

I think that it would have been better if the kiss had delayed the wedding, but no. They had to make them get married, and then get into an argument over something that had happened two years ago. The wedding that Lenny shippers had been waiting for nine years, ruined. Ruined. Due to an OOC incident revealed in season eight finale with no build up or foreshadowing. And all of their friends missed the ceremony.

After Amy is clearly upset over the break up, Stuart tries to make a move at her. He used to be my favorite recurring character! He has lost a few points in my book already the way he had been acting in the first half of season eight. I still like him, and I would probably turn out even worse if I were in his place, but still!

If they wanted to delay the relationship progressions so they wouldn't run out of material, they didn't have to add all the drama, they could have just started making episodes LESS relationship centric. There were still ways to make for an interesting show and go up to ten seasons without using that on/off again bs from seasons three and four. Four main characters are brilliant scientists, for crying out loud! Why did they drop Penny's college education story, or her acting career? And what about all those interesting recurring characters or guest stars? They could have added more Barry, more Bert, more of Howard's stepbrother, had another Comic Con episode, had a few episodes featuring Amy's mother, they could have bought Lucy back, make Howard and Bernadette improve their relationship without necessarily go all romantic or dramatic regarding it instead of writing her like a stone cold biotch (thank you, Jake Harper) for most of the season. You can't tell me that it was too hard for writers to think of at least one of those ideas, or to write them down. If that is the case, they have to be fired, sorry.

I know that many cast and crew members had been upset over Carol Ann Susi's death. I know that some of them may still be grieving. But adding more drama to the show itself, turning people away from the show she had been a part of for years, isn't helping. Have writers take some time off and hire new ones if it is necessary, don't... make such episodes.

There is nothing wrong with sitcom dealing with serious subjective, but that isn't supposed to be OOC, out of the blue, or in a way that overshadows the humor.

I know that most of general viewers probably don't care much about relationships. But to spend years investing people in the relationship, eventually making the show very relationship centric, as opposed to what it was in the first three seasons, and then pull out this... that is a bad writing. And it is disrespectful. 

And if they wanted to slow things down, what was the point of having Lenny get married and THEN have an argument? Why not have the argument delay the wedding, if they really wanted to go down that route?

According to The Big Bang Theory Wiki, Amy may start seeing other men. I don't know how reliable that is,  but all the other spoilers listed there turned out to be true. If that happens, and if that goes on for more than a few episodes, I will stop watching.

At least Penny is taking Amy's side and Leonard and Sheldon seemed to have bonded a bit over their situations, so that eliminates the possibility of Shenny. And the knocking and Sheldon's comment about the girl from the boat sound funny. But that still doesn't justify that horrible episode. 

I don't know what to think. I'm sorry if I come across as rude... I had to vent.

Edited by Mislav
  • Like 3

Looks like it's going to be a rocky relationship season for a least part of season 9.

exactly. I was pretty sure that this season would be initiated in this way.. with two big breakpoints, but I think  this will make the ninth season very interesting.. to me both the couples will be strenghtened by these situations.  I am sure also that  Amy's anger is necessary to make grow Sheldon.. 

• Like 4

I was at the taping that is not how I saw it at all.  He really wanted to know what was going on and he wanted her to speed up whatever time she needed.   That's why he told her she doesn't have all the time in the world for them to have babies. 

Did he say it like that or was it your eggs are going to expire? Because now I'm hearing two different things. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Generally been absent avoiding the angst among the crowd over the finale debacle but couldn't resist coming in to see the reaction to taping report ( thanks again to the serial tapists 3????) Remembering the "I'm done with this crap" responses from some Shamies after S7 which inevitably turned into Shamy-vana by mid S8 before returning to Shamygeddon by S8 end ( apologies for tortuous puns), I expected some of the "not watching " responses. There is some strange story telling going on here but as always as the emotionless automaton I am, I'm not going into panic mode until I see it for myself. Always enjoy forming opinion based on personal experience rather than responding to the emotional responses and opinions of others ( not that I don't appreciate the attempt to report the events to get a sense of story).

If I find the episode FUNNY I'll put aside annoyances with the deep meaning of the drama components and await the possibly implausible but hopefully humorous resolutions to come. If the Lenny wedding is Funny, I'll bear the apparently angsty ending temporarily until they resolve it hopefully with a Leonard playing cello at the door moment rather than the angry aftermath of the NCIS no show.

As for Shamy, would have preferred not to go down the "been there done that" path of copying the Lenny season 3 breakup trope with the inevitable, we know it will happen eventually reunion to come but again if it brings us laughs I'll wear it for the long haul.

Maybe the writers have given up on winning comedy Emmy and are trying to move into a different category?!?

Anyway, I'm going to go back to enjoying the unexpected exhilaration of my previously shit Aussie Rules footy team suddenly becoming the Cinderella story of the year until they inevitably let me down again. After suffering that for 40+ years, I don't get the distress of you ShamyLenny doomsday prophets after a couple of yoyo years???? See you at the next taping drama and still looking forward to the real thing in a few weeks so I can decide for myself if Lenny and Shamy are really as infuriating as the Western Bulldogs! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 6

I bet they will not show Leoanrd Penny kissing after they say their vows.....

instead of that ....sheldon will be shown moaing....I guess.........

Thank you, Kazzie, Nickelette, Michy and whoever else attended the taping and commented on it.   We appreciate all of your information.

I think the thing that strikes me about the episode is that the mean dialog is back like in Season 6 latter half, which made me hate that season.  I really don't like it when the characters are uncharacteristically mean just to try and bring in "humor" to lighten the tense situation that the writers created and that is how it comes across to me.  It takes the characters out of character and makes them unnecessarily mean.   This is what I feared and object to the most.  

Overall, my impressions remain as they were last night.   But I do appreciate the updates.

I bet they will not show Leoanrd Penny kissing after they say their vows.....

instead of that ....sheldon will be shown moaing....I guess.........

From what I gather only Stuart and Raj were left watching when they were pronounced man and wife.

But no. They had to add Lenny drama too. 

I think that it would have been better if the kiss had delayed the wedding, but no. They had to make them get married, and then get into an argument over something that had happened two years ago. The wedding that Lenny shippers had been waiting for nine years, ruined. Ruined. Due to an OOC incident revealed in season eight finale with no build up or foreshadowing. And all of their friends missed the ceremony.

Yep. That's what they give us Lennys. An ugly fucking, minimized wedding that no one sees, quite probably not even the viewers, some of us who had been waiting for years, and this is what we get. Because they just had to put the Shamy fight in right there at that very second to take away from that moment. Not to mention that random, unbelievable OOC kiss bullshit from the Season Hate finale. 

Yea. That's what the Lennys get. Another swift kick to the balls. 

• Like 5

Did you get the title?

Thanks so much for the report, kazzie! And absolutely no need to apologise for it not being that in depth. I think it's amazing how much you were able to remember without taking notes.

Also many thanks to everyone else who shared tidbits and impressions!

Hope you all enjoyed the taping, even if there were some parts of the story you didn't like. Am curious to see how it all plays out on screen.

The title is The Matrimony Momentum I believe.

(Empty quote thing is confusing - Am I doing something wrong?)

Edited by Pia

Thanks!!

Thanks so much for the report, kazzie! And absolutely no need to apologise for it not being that in depth. I think it's amazing how much you were able to remember without taking notes.

Also many thanks to everyone else who shared tidbits and impressions!

Hope you all enjoyed the taping, even if there were some parts of the story you didn't like. Am curious to see how it all plays out on screen.

Dear Everyone Hating on the S9 premiere,

I love this episode. Here’s why:

To all those hating on Amy, claiming that she’s “changed her personality on a dime” or that this breakup “came out of nowhere”: Surprise surprise, but in the last couple of seasons, Amy has undergone something known as ~~~Character Development!!!!~~~~ In the beginning of her time on the show, it was clear Amy was very much a female Sheldon. Like Sheldon, she had very little interest in romance or sex. This aversion made their relationship work well. However, as Amy matured due to finally having female friends, she began to develop a sexuality and a desire for intimacy. However, Sheldon could not fill those needs. One train kiss does not a libido satisfy! Additionally, cracks have been developing in this relationship for a while. Despite several big milestones, it has been clear to me that Amy is consistently bothered by Sheldon’s lack of affection (take the xbox episode for example). This break up makes sense. Amy is a strong, intimacy-desiring woman who deserves someone who will satisfy her.

Now, Sheldon is what many call a "~~static character~~". Every sitcom has one: that character that doesn’t change, and provides oodles of comic relief. Take Joey from friends. At the end of the show, he was still that same womanizing, actor-wannabe he always was. Though some Shamy fans claim ‘regression’ when it comes to Sheldon’s latest behavior, I see none of it. Sheldon was always sexist, childish, seemingly inconsiderate, and socially clueless (although the last two might not be his fault per se: I’ve always been a big proponent of the theory that Sheldon has some kind of mental illness). That BS Sheldon said earlier about Amy changing him never really resonated with me, because when I tried to see the change it wasn’t there. Sure, he kissed her on a train; but that was not done on purpose, and though Sheldon seemed to enjoy it in the moment, it never really seemed as if he wanted to make it a regular thing (perhaps the train kiss was sort of like a science experiment to him?). Also, the Blanket fort? That wasn’t so much romantic to me as it was childish and innocent. Sheldon was having a good time-of course he wanted to continue it. I see nothing really romantic there. I (a female) slept over with boys when I was a kid and never felt any romance. Remember, Sheldon is childish. That’s something the writers have stressed endlessly (remember all those episodes where Penny and Leonard act like his mom and dad? Remember all the episodes with his actual mom?). He sees many things through a child’s eyes. And the ring? To be honest, that seemed like Sheldon trying to bandage a situation he was unhappy with. “Oh, Amy is mad? Well, what makes women happy? Oh! Marriage!” Regardless of whether Sheldon wanted to marry her or not, their engagement would have just been a bandage on a wound that really needed stitches. Plus, although Shamy shippers are all about the #coitus thing, Sheldon, in my mind, is asexual. Maybe even aromantic. He has said over and over again that he has no interest in sex (the only times he heven’t were a few confusing lines that seemed like they were there as fan service), and even romance has been a challenge. He has to force himself into date nights and intimacy. If that doesn’t scream aro ace, I don’t know what else does. Yes, it is very possible Sheldon might love her. But he is not “in love” with her. He loves her mind, her friendship, her abilities. I don’t think Sheldon and Amy should get back together. They are not right for each other anymore (however, I would love it if they were still friends). Don’t hate on the writers, they’re just documenting the natural progression of their relationship.

Now, a word about Leonard. To those who claim: “Leonard isn’t a cheater!!! Where did this come from???!?!” I direct you to “The Good Guy Fluctuation”: And amazingly, his dalliance with the woman in that episode is terribly similar to his dalliance on the boat. Only difference between these situations: Penny (unlike Priya) never cheated. As much as people like to say Penny “slept around” before she met Leonard (which, I might add, is hugely slut-shaming-esque and really wrong for many reasons that I won't go into now), once they were dating she never ever even hinted she wanted to cheat on him. Ever. Oh, I just remember, check out “The Egg Salad Equivalency” for more cheating evidence (although he doesn’t directly cheat, it’s very cheat-esque). Leonard ain’t as angelic as y’all make him out to be.

I love the end of the episode. It’s very fitting. Sheldon and Leonard on the couch, wondering how they got there, how they messed up. It’s very Big Bang. Is it a drama? Is it a comedy? Who the f*** knows. I’m probably better of playing WoW then wondering my life away.

Tl;dr: this premiere was great and very true to character. Huzzah.

PS To the person that compared Shamy to Ross/Rachel: I literally fell on the floor laughing. To compare them is hilarious. Kudos, you really made my day.

Weddings ... Break ups ..... Cheating .... Infedility .... Men moaning about women .... Women bitching about men ..... 

No wonder some people now refer this show as Friends 2.0

Atleast friends did it in a nice way ... This show all the relationships seem pretty nasty and toxic with no one having even respect for each other 

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

This is a little bit off topic, but can anyone shed some light on whether or not they updated the scene of the gang eating dinner at the end of the title sequence? Thanks!

• Like 1

thanks guys for the TR! yay S9 has finally started!

Overall, i'm OK with this episode, based on a TP. The shamy break up. Not surprised. And considering Sheldon went to Amy's house after only 11 hours when the poor girl was completely fed up with his inability to get his s**t together, i think is reasonable she was still mad at him at howardette's house. She has reasons to be mad, she has reasons to want to break up. And if the writers want to go for the sheldon-tries to get-amy-back scenario, think it could be very funny. What i hope doesn't happen is amy starting dating/seeing/meeting other guys and sheldon jealous and all that stuff... that's just the ultimate cliche in all romcoms... NO!

i'm surprised how they handled the wedding... i was expecting a nice, emotional wedding without all this weird drama. Part of the reason why i wasn't expecting lenny married right in the first episode.. hope everything ends right on that front.

thanks again those who attended the taping!

• Like 4

Dear Everyone Hating on the S9 premiere,

I love this episode. Here’s why:

To all those hating on Amy, claiming that she’s “changed her personality on a dime” or that this breakup “came out of nowhere”: Surprise surprise, but in the last couple of seasons, Amy has undergone something known as ~~~Character Development!!!!~~~~ In the beginning of her time on the show, it was clear Amy was very much a female Sheldon. Like Sheldon, she had very little interest in romance or sex. This aversion made their relationship work well. However, as Amy matured due to finally having female friends, she began to develop a sexuality and a desire for intimacy. However, Sheldon could not fill those needs. One train kiss does not a libido satisfy! Additionally, cracks have been developing in this relationship for a while. Despite several big milestones, it has been clear to me that Amy is consistently bothered by Sheldon’s lack of affection (take the xbox episode for example). This break up makes sense. Amy is a strong, intimacy-desiring woman who deserves someone who will satisfy her.

Now, Sheldon is what many call a "~~static character~~". Every sitcom has one: that character that doesn’t change, and provides oodles of comic relief. Take Joey from friends. At the end of the show, he was still that same womanizing, actor-wannabe he always was. Though some Shamy fans claim ‘regression’ when it comes to Sheldon’s latest behavior, I see none of it. Sheldon was always sexist, childish, seemingly inconsiderate, and socially clueless (although the last two might not be his fault per se: I’ve always been a big proponent of the theory that Sheldon has some kind of mental illness). That BS Sheldon said earlier about Amy changing him never really resonated with me, because when I tried to see the change it wasn’t there. Sure, he kissed her on a train; but that was not done on purpose, and though Sheldon seemed to enjoy it in the moment, it never really seemed as if he wanted to make it a regular thing (perhaps the train kiss was sort of like a science experiment to him?). Also, the Blanket fort? That wasn’t so much romantic to me as it was childish and innocent. Sheldon was having a good time-of course he wanted to continue it. I see nothing really romantic there. I (a female) slept over with boys when I was a kid and never felt any romance. Remember, Sheldon is childish. That’s something the writers have stressed endlessly (remember all those episodes where Penny and Leonard act like his mom and dad? Remember all the episodes with his actual mom?). He sees many things through a child’s eyes. And the ring? To be honest, that seemed like Sheldon trying to bandage a situation he was unhappy with. “Oh, Amy is mad? Well, what makes women happy? Oh! Marriage!” Regardless of whether Sheldon wanted to marry her or not, their engagement would have just been a bandage on a wound that really needed stitches. Plus, although Shamy shippers are all about the #coitus thing, Sheldon, in my mind, is asexual. Maybe even aromantic. He has said over and over again that he has no interest in sex (the only times he heven’t were a few confusing lines that seemed like they were there as fan service), and even romance has been a challenge. He has to force himself into date nights and intimacy. If that doesn’t scream aro ace, I don’t know what else does. Yes, it is very possible Sheldon might love her. But he is not “in love” with her. He loves her mind, her friendship, her abilities. I don’t think Sheldon and Amy should get back together. They are not right for each other anymore (however, I would love it if they were still friends). Don’t hate on the writers, they’re just documenting the natural progression of their relationship.

Now, a word about Leonard. To those who claim: “Leonard isn’t a cheater!!! Where did this come from???!?!” I direct you to “The Good Guy Fluctuation”: And amazingly, his dalliance with the woman in that episode is terribly similar to his dalliance on the boat. Only difference between these situations: Penny (unlike Priya) never cheated. As much as people like to say Penny “slept around” before she met Leonard (which, I might add, is hugely slut-shaming-esque and really wrong for many reasons that I won't go into now), once they were dating she never ever even hinted she wanted to cheat on him. Ever. Oh, I just remember, check out “The Egg Salad Equivalency” for more cheating evidence (although he doesn’t directly cheat, it’s very cheat-esque). Leonard ain’t as angelic as y’all make him out to be.

I love the end of the episode. It’s very fitting. Sheldon and Leonard on the couch, wondering how they got there, how they messed up. It’s very Big Bang. Is it a drama? Is it a comedy? Who the f*** knows. I’m probably better of playing WoW then wondering my life away.

Tl;dr: this premiere was great and very true to character. Huzzah.

PS To the person that compared Shamy to Ross/Rachel: I literally fell on the floor laughing. To compare them is hilarious. Kudos, you really made my day.

Sheldon and Amy did make out in season eight finale. That was a sexual situation. 

In what way was Sheldon sexist? In what way is he "forcing" himself to enjoy date nights? You bought up no examples of that. Do you actually believe that three years of their relationship progression, kissing, ILY, was just a way for writers to show that they are better of as friends?

You claim that the writers had been stressing out him being childlish over and over again and yet you bring up one incident five seasons ago as an example.

You also claim that it was not out of character for Leonard to cheat and bring up an incident three seasons ago as an example, and also ignore the fact that he immediately apologized to Priya as opposed to waiting two years to tell Penny. He just said that he enjoyed Alex flirting with him, but never flirted back or even attempted to engage in something sexual with her. By that logic you can as well accuse Penny for flirting for sales, and she actually did sleep with somebody else while in a relationship, only before Leonard. 

You are totally cherry picking and your arguments come off as biased also. You are ignoring the overwhelming evidence to the contrary and make very reaching points.
  • Like 1

First of all: Thanks for the taping reports. You guys rock!

I feel sorry for the Shamy fans  *hotbeverageforalltheShamyshippersincludingme*
But its only the beginning of the Season. So there is no reason in my opinion to make a huge drama out of it.
And its always like that: A problem that started at the beginning of the Season can`t be solved right away. Patience is what we need.
I mean Amy and Sheldon are humans and humans have problems thats the real life.
Those two need to talk and their friends will be there for them.
And thats my personal point of view.

Edited by BlackWhiteRose
  • Like 5

Hi again forum people, the hiatus wait is over!  I have not had a chance to read in depth all the info from the taping, but got the jist.  I will contemplate more later when I have a better internet connection and some time to mull :)  But I just wanted to pop in and Thank our intrepid reporters for the first report of season 9 ("Serial Tapists 3"...bwah!  TM someone up thread!).  You guys are so great to share with other fans (not to mention your expertise and willingness to help fans that try to make a taping...hope I can be one of them before the end...I am California adjacent...no excuse, ha, ha!).

Thanks again and look forward to reading and digesting more in the coming days.

• Like 1

5) Sheldon is not aromantic. Sheldon is not asexual. Sheldon is whatever the writers want him to be, and they want him to be married to Amy and having sex with her. Build a bridge and get over it.

Marina, you forgot the

*Drops mic*

at the end.

• Like 7