The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

This entire post confuses me.

23 million people watched. If the writing or quality isn't good, why are massive amounts of still people tuning in?  

What damage? What does abuse have to do with anything related to this show? Who is abusing whom?

My point was ratings are subjective. I admit my example was stupid lol. But my logic remains. My vague point was. Damage has been done. When you had bad writing for two years. Even if the show is getting good again, if one tuned out. It's hard to get that subset of a audience back that is all. Yes 23 million watched. But as Tensor pointed out it is the lowest rated seasons since S2. Now was s2 better in terms of writing? Probably. But even if the show got 50 million. It is not dependant on quality. But the variables. Depends what is on the other channel. Could be watching a basketball game NBA Finals say. And on the other channel you got I don't The Food Chanel. Ratings maybe high for the NBA finals game, but its all relative and subjective. My point is writing has improoved. But I agree its like they are limping to the finish line. So it would be pushing things to go past S10 imo.

Edited by 3ku11

15 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

My point was ratings are subjective. I admit my example was stupid lol. But my logic remains. My vague point was. Damage has been done. When you had bad writing for two years. Even if the show is getting good again, if one tuned out. It's hard to get that subset of a audience back that is all. Yes 23 million watched. But as Tensor pointed out it is the lowest rated seasons since S2. Now was s2 better in terms of writing? Probably. But even if the show got 50 million. It is not dependant on quality. But the variables. Depends what is on the other channel. Could be watching a basketball game NBA Finals say. And on the other channel you got I don't The Food Chanel. Ratings maybe high for the NBA finals game, but its all relative and subjective. My point is writing has improoved. But I agree its like they are limping to the finish line. So it would be pushing things to go past S10 imo.

"Bad writing"?

In general people in this forum are never have a consensus on good vs bad writing.  In my opinion the quality of writing is fairly consistent through all seasons. What really changes from episode to episode and from season to season is the focus of attention. We all like different stuff. Different stuff gets into different episodes. To quote a cleche "One man's garbage is another man's treasure."

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

tbbt is a long running programme. Depending on which corner of the internet you frequent, the show will be deemed to have lost it, found it, always had it, never had it, jumped the shark, found its mojo etc.

I compare tbbt to buffy (the only other long running show I watched). Like buffy, I found tbbt to have arguably its.strongest season in s2/s3 (and maybe a solid chunk in s5). However, like buffy, some of my favourite episodes (once more with feeling for example) came later, and I don't know if I would forego them even if I didn't care for what came before. I wouldn't give up the sweetness and melancholy of the champagne reflection, for example, even if I didn't care for s6/7. They built on what came before, as did prom and misinterpretation, and I am glad I could appreciate them.

as to s9: I am not a fan of the first half. At all. I didn't like the shamy or the Lenny stuff, and I am not a fan of the rest of the plotlines either. But I think the force awakens is a cracker of an episode. It is sweet-natured, charming and has a glorious meditation in both plots on what it is to experience a long-awaited thing. And seriously, how much more of a love letter to fandom do you need than the guys' plotline? And god help me but I love it when the showrunners remember to laugh WITH our nerds, rather than AT them.

I don't know if one good episode .akes up for the rest, but tbbt seems to be cautiously experimenting with pushing its characters into new territory, which is potentially promising.

Beautifully stated, wowbagger.  I couldn't agree more with your analysis of "The Force Awakens" episode.  Thank you.

Edited by Ginny Hamilton
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I think it is the exact opposite...opinions about the writing are really subjective and depend on what somebody likes, on the kind of plots the writers decide to develop during a given season, on whether or not somebody likes the new characters or how the old ones are handled and on a thousand of other things. Ratings are numbers, and numbers are objective; choices about  keeping a show on the air or canceling it are made (mostly) above ratings, not on what a fan forum thinks about the writing, especially because many of us complain about the writing, but are still watching, so they are still increasing those numbers. Of course there can be different interpretations about the ratings, and the networks usually use these different interpretations to further their own cause, but the people in charge of making decisions depending (for the most part) on ratings have all the tools to analyze them in an "objective" way and to decide for the best. And almost 21 million people per week watching  a show in its ninth season is an objective fact...

• Like 9

If you want my opinion,CBS will do season 11 because TBBT is very loved from the audience and the ratings apre very high so I think they continue the show!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

It's the only show and comedy that Have ratings very high!generally when show is arrived a certain number of seasons they don t continue!In TBBT now we are at season 9 the ratings are very high!it s a wonderful result for a comedy sitcom!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

22 hours ago, vonmar said:

I must be misunderstanding something about the Live + 3 day numbers for "The Opening Night Excitation" 

23 million viewers

Largest 3 day audience of any scripted program this season

TBBT's largest L+3 audience since 1/30/2014

Should they be worried?  :icon_cheesygrin:

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=44247

vonmar all the data you provide means absolutely nothing in terms of what I was saying, and that you quoted. I  think the quality of the writing has decreased. I  think it is limping to the finish line. However I believe that having to always be adding IMO to every single post is redundant and retarded.  The thoughts we post are obviously  our opinions. Nevertheless I did include IMO in my post twice so why on earth you decided to quote it and answer it the way you did is beyond me.

Edited by Carlos

5 minutes ago, Carlos said:

vonmar all the data you provide means absolutely nothing in terms of what I was saying, and that you quoted. I  think the quality of the writing has decreased. I  think it is limping to the finish line. However I believe that having to always be adding IMO to every single post is redundant and retarded.  The thoughts we post are obviously  our opinions. Nevertheless I did include IMO in my post twice so why on earth you decided to quote it and answer it the way you did is beyond me.

Finish line?

There really is no line. It is open ended and the show has surpassed the producers expectations.

Some things are facts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Uhmmm, I was engaging in conversation.  You stated an opinion and I responded.  I did not disparage your opinion or you personally.  

Not quite clear what you are upset about.  But if you prefer, I will in the future avoid quoting you.

Edited by vonmar

3 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Finish line?

There really is no line. It is open ended and the show has surpassed the producers expectations.

Some things are facts.

Yes, finish line. There is no line? It will never end? There is a finish line, which is when the show will end so I don't know what the hell you're talking about saying there's no line.

You say the show has surpassed producers expectations. And? What the hell has that to do with my post which you quoted and were answering to? Nothing.

Some things are facts you say. And some things are opinions. So? Again, not relevant whatsoever.

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

Uhmmm, I was engaging in conversation.  You stated an opinion and I responded.  I did not disparage your opinion or you personally.  

Not quite clear what you are upset about.  But if you prefer, I will in the future avoid quoting you.

If you quote me, I assume you're answering to my post. As simple as that. And no, there is no need to avoid quoting me. Please feel free to do or not do so according to what you want to do. Whatever you decide is fine with me. However when you (or anybody else quotes me) I do assume that they are answering the post they quoted. I might have misunderstood you but the figures you posted, as I said in my response mean nothing in the context of what I was saying because I was referring to how the show feels to me, nowadays. I really did think that what you mentioned was mainly unrelated to what I was saying.

3 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Finish line?

Some things are facts.

The fact remains the show will end ( thus a finish line). The show will not go 16 seasons so for new shows it is closer to the finish line than  the starting line. Not sure what producers expectations surpassed means. That's like the green shirt I'm wearing who cares. You can take the poster to task for saying the show is limping to the finish line since you have an opinion but we are all going to wait and see what ends up happening.

32 minutes ago, Carlos said:

If you quote me, I assume you're answering to my post. As simple as that. And no, there is no need to avoid quoting me. Please feel free to do or not do so according to what you want to do. Whatever you decide is fine with me. However when you (or anybody else quotes me) I do assume that they are answering the post they quoted. I might have misunderstood you but the figures you posted, as I said in my response mean nothing in the context of what I was saying because I was referring to how the show feels to me, nowadays. I really did think that what you mentioned was mainly unrelated to what I was saying.

"Limping to the finish line".. was your comment.  My follow up to you was with regard to the number of viewers who watched the most recent episode. "Limping" implies weakness, lameness, failing strength.  My post was a counterpoint as of the strength of the number of viewers who watched that episode.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 2

On 23 December 2015 at 2:27 AM, Tensor said:

But 4A isn't the only option anymore.  4A has become less important and there were several this year where they could have done the entire show without it.  And I'd say with Howardette married, Lenny married, Shamy having sex, and Raj being able to talk to woman and having a girlfriend, the whole feel of the show has already changed.  

And how many of the die hard fans here have complained that it "just isn't the same" without the gang all eating take away in 4a? 

The story usually opens and closes in 4a, even in the Thanksgiving episode Leonard and Penny were in the bigger more visually appealing apartment even though Sheldon was not there. There was no real reason that they would use Sheldon's apartment instead of theirs.

The other changes you mention have happened very gradually and in pretty much the same settings, at the end of the day it's still 4 Nerdy boys and their Girls hanging out in Nerdtopia.

The second longest running live action sitcom in history (My Three Sons 12 years, 380 episodes) changed the location of the family once (St Louis to LA), made a major change in their set twice, and replaced four major characters and introduced four new major characters, over the series run.  There were four weddings, four births (including the triplets).    Those things kept it fresh.    

Ok I had to google what that show was. I have no idea how successful that show was, I suspect not as successful as other 60's sitcoms as I've never heard of it/it isn't still shown, but I don't think we can compare an olden time sitcom when there were less channels/choice to the modern powerhouse sitcoms.

Friends started in the time of satellite/cable TV choice and managed to rule the airways, TBBT is managing to rule the ratings in a time where watching live TV or even owning a TV is in rapid decline and it is doing that with a tried and tested formula, I just don't see it changing too much from how it has always been, Chuck Lorre and co have been very careful to stress in recent interviews that the show and character of Sheldon won't be changing just because he found the zipper on his pants, change is a bad word in sitcom land!

I think it's maybe because of the syndication deals? I never watched Everybody Loves Raymond, but I've heard it was most successful sitcom of all time?
- anyways I caught two episodes of it last week and the only way I knew that the two were from years quite far apart was cus the kids were much older in the second one. 

Ray could have changed careers, learnt to tap dance and had major brain surgery between those two episodes for all I knew but the formula of living across the road from his overbearing family and the battle going on there was the 'situation' and as long as that doesn't change too much then it works as a watchable syndicated sitcom.

Lets say that first episode was S1 and the second was S9 - if the brother had left the show and been replaced by a random cousin who moved in across the road and Ray was divorced with weekend access to his kids it would have been too much to catch up on. I have no doubt that there had been character development and changes between those episodes but it was similar enough that I as a non viewer could watch them both and get a laugh out of them. 

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Yes, finish line. There is no line? It will never end? There is a finish line, which is when the show will end so I don't know what the hell you're talking about saying there's no line.

You say the show has surpassed producers expectations. And? What the hell has that to do with my post which you quoted and were answering to? Nothing.

Oh boy. A finish line is a line determined before a race begins for where it will end. There is no finish line for a sitcom because the end is not predetermined. 

The fact is that the show has surpassed the producers expectations. You suggested the show was limping to some imaginary finish line. 

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Oh boy. A finish line is a line determined before a race begins for where it will end. There is no finish line for a sitcom because the end is not predetermined. 

The fact is that the show has surpassed the producers expectations. You suggested the show was limping to some imaginary finish line. 

Yeah If the show goes 20 seasons then it's smack dab in the middle of it's run! :wink: 

23 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

And how many of the die hard fans here have complained that it "just isn't the same" without the gang all eating take away in 4a? 

The story usually opens and closes in 4a, even in the Thanksgiving episode Leonard and Penny were in the bigger more visually appealing apartment even though Sheldon was not there. There was no real reason that they would use Sheldon's apartment instead of theirs.

The other changes you mention have happened very gradually and in pretty much the same settings, at the end of the day it's still 4 Nerdy boys and their Girls hanging out in Nerdtopia.

Most have complained that the gang hasn't been together eating.  They don't need 4A for the gang to eat together.   And you pretty much made my point, they didn't have to use 4A for the Thanksgiving episode.   As for the changes, you just said the feel of the show.  For me, the first few years were the four guys and girl across that hall.  That feeling is gone, for me.   As I doubt we're going to agree here, you can have your feelings, if I can have mine.  :shy:

23 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Ok I had to google what that show was. I have no idea how successful that show was, I suspect not as successful as other 60's sitcoms as I've never heard of it/it isn't still shown, but I don't think we can compare an olden time sitcom when there were less channels/choice to the modern powerhouse sitcoms.

Friends started in the time of satellite/cable TV choice and managed to rule the airways, TBBT is managing to rule the ratings in a time where watching live TV or even owning a TV is in rapid decline and it is doing that with a tried and tested formula, I just don't see it changing too much from how it has always been, Chuck Lorre and co have been very careful to stress in recent interviews that the show and character of Sheldon won't be changing just because he found the zipper on his pants, change is a bad word in sitcom land!

I think it's maybe because of the syndication deals? I never watched Everybody Loves Raymond, but I've heard it was most successful sitcom of all time?
- anyways I caught two episodes of it last week and the only way I knew that the two were from years quite far apart was cus the kids were much older in the second one. 

The show was on for twelve years. Only one other sitcom has ever gone longer.   TBBT would have to run three more years to get to that show.  I don't know how much more successful you want.   While you are right, you can't compare ratings head to head with the older shows (for example, I Love Lucy had a 67 share for an ENTIRE SEASON.  67% of all televisions that were on, were watching I Love Lucy for the year), you can look at how long they ran and compare it to other series. 

Have you heard of Gilligan's Island?  That ran in syndication, seemingly forever and it only ran for THREE years on network (and those three years were pretty much in the middle of the My Three Sons run).  The only reason it ran so long in syndication, was because it was so cheap to procure.  The Beverly Hillbillies ran for 9 years before being cancelled.  There were many others that were cancelled after less than five years, through the sixties and early 70's, while that show stayed on.  So, yes, it was successful.   BTW, Everybody Loves Raymond was on for nine seasons, and I'm not sure where you found it being the most successful of all time, but it never cracked the top five, or broke 20 million a year (My Three Sons never did either of them) , something TBBT has done.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vonmar said:

"Limping to the finish line".. was your comment.  My follow up to you was with regard to the number of viewers who watched the most recent episode. "Limping" implies weakness, lameness, failing strength.  My post was a counterpoint as of the strength of the number of viewers who watched that episode.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

I understand what you're saying, and were are in 100 % agreement with what limping to the finish line means. And it is IMO opinion doing exactly that, not because it is not being as successful , but in terms of quality, and my post was about how it felt to me. As far as viewership you are right it is as successful as ever and I'm sure it will go past 10 and maybe 11 seasons. I'm sure it will be bled dry until there is no more money to be made. Doesn't mean I like it as much as I once did.

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

1) Oh boy. A finish line is a line determined before a race begins for where it will end. There is no finish line for a sitcom because the end is not predetermined. 

2) The fact is that the show has surpassed the producers expectations. You suggested the show was limping to some imaginary finish line. 

1) Not necessarily. It can also be when you have after you have completed a determined amount of tasks in a race or competition. In any case the finish line means the end. Not so hard to understand is it?

2) Yes it is limping towards the end, in my view. I was talking about how it felt to me. I  consider that the quality has decreased steadily and dramatically . I even used IMO twice. Again not so difficult to understand.

To both you and vonmar: I never did use any words or expressions to the tune of : "it's not as successful as it once was", did I? That is what both you posts are alluding to.

Edited by Carlos

2 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Ray could have changed careers, learnt to tap dance and had major brain surgery between those two episodes for all I knew but the formula of living across the road from his overbearing family and the battle going on there was the 'situation' and as long as that doesn't change too much then it works as a watchable syndicated sitcom.

Lets say that first episode was S1 and the second was S9 - if the brother had left the show and been replaced by a random cousin who moved in across the road and Ray was divorced with weekend access to his kids it would have been too much to catch up on. I have no doubt that there had been character development and changes between those episodes but it was similar enough that I as a non viewer could watch them both and get a laugh out of them. 

Well you know TBBT has been making changes. Penny and Leonard started to date, they broke up. Leonard dated different people. Penny changed careers. Howard got married. Raj started talking to women. Sheldon got a girlfriend, changed his area of research and got back together with his girlfriend. Penny and Leonard got married. If Leonard was still sweating bullets before going out with Penny the series would be dead.

Everybody Loves Raymond never got past 9 seasons.  Raymond did not change but his brother Robert went through changes (no girlfriend, having a girlfriend, getting married, separating...). 

53 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Most have complained that the gang hasn't been together eating.  They don't need 4A for the gang to eat together.   And you pretty much made my point, they didn't have to use 4A for the Thanksgiving episode.   As for the changes, you just said the feel of the show.  For me, the first few years were the four guys and girl across that hall.  That feeling is gone, for me.   As I doubt we're going to agree here, you can have your feelings, if I can have mine.  :shy:

We'll have to disagree about that cus the majority of comments I've seen have been in specific reference to missing this:

567b95ffb8e65_ScreenShot2015-12-24at06.5

I'm not sure how I made your point with regards to 4a at all. They did not need to be in 4a at thanksgiving and in fact shouldn't have been because that is not where they live but they were there because it is the main setting of the show.

The show was on for twelve years. Only one other sitcom has ever gone longer.   TBBT would have to run three more years to get to that show.  I don't know how much more successful you want.   While you are right, you can't compare ratings head to head with the older shows (for example, I Love Lucy had a 67 share for an ENTIRE SEASON.  67% of all televisions that were on, were watching I Love Lucy for the year), you can look at how long they ran and compare it to other series. 

Have you heard of Gilligan's Island?  That ran in syndication, seemingly forever and it only ran for THREE years on network (and those three years were pretty much in the middle of the My Three Sons run).  The only reason it ran so long in syndication, was because it was so cheap to procure.  The Beverly Hillbillies ran for 9 years before being cancelled.  There were many others that were cancelled after less than five years, through the sixties and early 70's, while that show stayed on.  So, yes, it was successful.

Gilligan's island may have been cheap to buy and show but if it was still being watched in syndication for all of those years then it was very successful! I've seen it but I can't remember much about it :) 

Friends still airs a few times a day worldwide, Cheers still airs, if these shows aren't being watched then they simply aren't shown and the settings of these shows being pretty much the same all the way through the run is a large part of why you can watch them out of order in syndication.

I think Jim Parsons said it pretty well:

“There’s not anything to keep up with. You don’t go, I didn’t see the first three seasons, and now they’re off with prostitutes, and they no longer work in the Mafia, and I don’t understand what happened. People have so many choices on TV now, so no one’s asking for you to marry us. You can enjoy our show without a weekly appointment.”

If you had never seen Big Bang, watched a random season 1 episode and then a season 8 episode right after you would still be watching
'geniuses take on everyday life - hang out in their cool nerd apartment doing dorky stuff - don't quite get things despite being super smart'
without having to put much thought into it.

I personally think that this is why the Big Bang Theory consistently beats out more critically acclaimed comedies like Modern Family in the ratings, cus it is simpler. There is enough character development and change to keep long term viewers/die hard fans from getting bored and enough consistency to keep the casual viewer from wandering off confused.

BTW, Everybody Loves Raymond was on for nine seasons, and I'm not sure where you found it being the most successful of all time, but it never cracked the top five, or broke 20 million a year (My Three Sons never did either of them) , something TBBT has done.  

It was called the most successful sitcom of all time (along with Seinfeld) on a TV show here when they were discussing the highest paid TV actors of 2015, I presume they were referring to it as one of the most successful because despite 'everybody loves Raymond' having been off the air for 10 years Ray Romano is still number 7 on that list largely because the show does so well in syndication worldwide. It may not have had very high ratings when it was on but it's making a lot of money still.

I was looking into Seinfeld after that report (cus it was one I didn't watch) and I read that it made the two guys in charge $400 million each! Mad money considering Chuck Lorre is worth a reported $700 million!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Carlos said:

That's pretty funny, since you previously tried to bring my criticism of the first half of season nine in question by pointing out that the ratings were still good.

"Twenty million people disagree with you. Just saying." I believe those were your words.

Edited by Mislav

2 hours ago, Mislav said:

"Twenty million people disagree with you. Just saying." I believe those were your words.

Didn't they?

9 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Didn't they?

Not really, because not all people who watch the show at the moment necessarily like it's current direction, and that point of view refutes all of your complaints about the show that you still post about. Since twenty million people still watch it, the quality couldn't have declined. So what was the point of posting that? Apparently that logic applies to everyone but you.

Edited by Mislav

1 hour ago, Mislav said:

Merry Christmas!

merry Christmas everyone from australia

• Like 4