The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

On 12/23/2015 at 6:55 AM, wowbagger said:

And god help me but I love it when the showrunners remember to laugh WITH our nerds, rather than AT them.

Why does everybody get up in arms over "our nerds" being the butt end of a joke from time to time?

It's not like the "non-nerds" like penny arent mocked just as much.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, meka3000 said:

Why does everybody get up in arms over "our nerds" being the butt end of a joke from time to time?

It's not like the "non-nerds" like penny arent mocked just as much.

Educate me. How does 'I don't like it when the show is laughing AT our nerds' equate to 'I love it when the non-nerds are jeered at'? I don't like mean-spirited humour. I prefer it when the show's characters seem as though they basically get on and love each other, however much they annoy each other from time to time. I also don't like it when the girls are stereotyped as nags, or passive-aggressive, or casually dismissive of nerdy interests. I particularly dislike it when the 'humour' derives from the one partner's eyerolling over the other's childish pursuits, or one partner's simply not understanding how relationships work, and having to be educated in 'normality' by the other.

I understand if you don't think that the show indulges in this sort of humour, or if you think it does, but you find it funny. But I am a little puzzled that your reaction to 'I liked that the show didn't do this' is 'well how about [different phenomenon about which I expressed no opinion at all]?'

• Like 6

18 hours ago, meka3000 said:

1) Why does everybody get up in arms over "our nerds" being the butt end of a joke from time to time?

2) It's not like the "non-nerds" like penny arent mocked just as much.

1) Because they do. Different people like (or dislike) different kind of humor.

2) Ok.... So? That might very well be true, but completely irrelevant as an answer to wowbagger's post.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Carlos said:

2) Ok.... So? That might very well be true, but completely irrelevant as an answer to wowbagger's post.

.....Or I could have just said that, instead of pontificating. Thanks, Carlos!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2015 at 7:24 AM, mirs1 said:

Anyway, they seem to have taken the news in a very relaxed way, not making a big deal out of it.

Does that include Howard?

27 minutes ago, Carlos said:

1.) I was asking a question that presumably has a more complex answer.  Not "why do people like apple jacks"?

2.) Actually its very relevant, as the op was getting up in arms in over how unfairly a subgroup (nerd characters) were treated.  While ignoring how the non-nerd characters have generally been laughed at just as much.  That's not unfair treatment when you compare them to other subgroups treatment on this show when they get treated the same.

17 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

1.) I was asking a question that presumably has a more complex answer.  Not "why do people like apple jacks"?

Your original question was as follows:

19 hours ago, meka3000 said:

....to which I don't have an answer, because I wasn't claiming that EVERYONE gets up in arms (or even should get up in arms) about 'our nerds' being 'the butt end of a joke from time to time'. I was saying that I, specifically, do not like it when the show presents nerdy interests as inherently pathetic or risible. To that end, Carlos's point about individual preferences was a perfectly valid riposte. No, it didn't address your straw man 'EVERYONE', but-since my post was only about my own feelings- I think the reply works.

17 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

2.) Actually its very relevant, as the op was getting up in arms in over how unfairly a subgroup (nerd characters) were treated.  While ignoring how the non-nerd characters have generally been laughed at just as much.  That's not unfair treatment when you compare them to other subgroups treatment on this show when they get treated the same.

Er- nothing in my post was about unfairness. Here is the bit to which you were replying, I think?

On 12/23/2015 at 0:55 PM, wowbagger said:

And god help me but I love it when the showrunners remember to laugh WITH our nerds, rather than AT them.

I haven't said that this is disproportionately bad in the case of the nerds, or anything like that. I just don't like it when the show leans on stereotypes regarding subcultures, gender, academics, non-academics, whatever. I find that humour lazy and I think the show is better when it roots its laughs in heart and sweetness. You may disagree, but that is basically all there is to this. Carlos's post was actually responding to claims that you had made, while you seem to have read my post and seen something completely different.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Does that include Howard?

Up to now, according to the last TR, the only explicit acknowledgment  about Shamy coitus is a joke Raj made, I think in front of all guys but Sheldon, at the comic book store. My general impression was that the whole gang now knows about it, anyway.

Just watched The Decoupling Fluctuation again. Amy's plan was to get married in four years. That would be next year?

24 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Just watched The Decoupling Fluctuation again. Amy's plan was to get married in four years. That would be next year?

Yep, Season 10, episode 2 to be exact.  

5 hours ago, Tensor said:

Yep, Season 10, episode 2 to be exact.  

That's assuming she was being exact and not just speaking about that in generalities.

11 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

That's assuming she was being exact and not just speaking about that in generalities.

Well, she said "exactly" so that's what I took it to mean. :icon_rolleyes: Now, if you want to change the definition of "exactly", to "in general" be my guest.  :icon_rolleyes:  But that means we're using different definitions, so there is no sense in continuing.  :icon_rolleyes:  To quote Amy

Amy: "Not just someday. In exactly four years..."

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tensor said:

Well, she said "exactly" so that's what I took it to mean.  Now, if you want to change the definition of "exactly", to "in general" be my guest.  But that means we're using different definitions, so there is no sense in continuing.  To quote Amy

Amy: "Not just someday. In exactly four years..."

She said in exactly four years, NOT in exactly four years FROM THAT VERY DAY.

2 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

Well, she said "exactly" so that's what I took it to mean. :icon_rolleyes: Now, if you want to change the definition of "exactly", to "in general" be my guest.  :icon_rolleyes:  But that means we're using different definitions, so there is no sense in continuing.  :icon_rolleyes:  To quote Amy

Amy: "Not just someday. In exactly four years..."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

Are you for real? When all the world (except you, of course) says in exactly four years, of course they mean from that specific day. Otherwise why even say in exactly 4 years? Do they mean in exactly 4 years from a day to be determined? That could be a multiple number of days, which would mean that it would be approximately 4 years from the present. If Amy wanted to mean that she would have said in approximately 4 years.

• Like 4

Could mean not 3 years and not 5 but years but four years. Any way one looks at it exactly four years seemed preposterous at the time. Now Sheldon has a ring and they have been physically intimate. Marriage seems like a possibility. If they get married late in season 9 or early in season 10 I'd say Amy was quite masterful. It would also make most of season 10 really different as I think Penny and Leonard could then live away from Sheldon.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Vittoria Jacoel said:

Guys,do you think that TBBT will continue after season 10 with season 11?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Until there is an an announcement no one can really know. My guess is there will be a season 11.

there is a newish thread about this.

http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/topic/6421-the-big-bang-theory-ending-with-season-10/

Edited by djsurrey