[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Are you for real? When all the world (except you, of course) says in exactly four years, of course they mean from that specific day. Otherwise why even say in exactly 4 years? Do they mean in exactly 4 years from a day to be determined? That could be a multiple number of days, which would mean that it would be approximately 4 years from the present. If Amy wanted to mean that she would have said in approximately 4 years.

I think you and many others are taking Amy's words WAY TOO literally.  As opposed to her just speaking about that in general.  Many people SAY things like "exactly" while intending them to mean in general.  Not everyone is pedantic.

Hell take her words in the Date Night Variable, "Sheldon, you either say something meaningful and from the heart, or you and I are done."

He seemingly did that, ONLY to reveal that those words were him paraphrasing form Spider-Man 1.  So after she rolled over for him and accepted Sheldon's half assed effort at saying something meaningful it became obvious that Amy was bluffing and full of shit when she said "or you and I are done."  She wasn't being EXACT when she said that quote above, why am I (or anyone else for that matter) supposed to believe she is being LITERALLY EXACT about marrying Sheldon in four years FROM THAT EXACT DAY?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Could mean not 3 years and not 5 but years but four years. Any way one looks at it exactly four years seemed preposterous at the time. Now Sheldon has a ring and they have been physically intimate. Marriage seems like a possibility. If they get married late in season 9 or early in season 10 I'd say Amy was quite masterful. It would also make most of season 10 really different as I think Penny and Leonard could then live away from Sheldon.

I agree on that, I don't think that if a wedding happens  during Season 10 November sweeps or even later on we can really say that Amy's plan went all wrong...I know that everything is possible with those writers, but seeing how TBBT has dealt up to now with the other weddings\engagements a mid Season 10 wedding  sounds possible...I mean, if we trust Molaro's words in his recent interviews (I don't trust him per se, but I've noticed so far that if you read in retrospective  his interviews, what he says makes sense with respect to the actual plot, even if it sounds very vague and even scary at first sight)  he said the "ring" will appear again this season, but not in a short time. So, assuming that this means a late Season 9 proposal (again, with those writers you'll never know...) the other couples had at least a season long engagement. This may not be the case for Shamy, since the show is in its final run, but I don't see them having a quick wedding either...

4 hours ago, meka3000 said:

That's assuming she was being exact and not just speaking about that in generalities.

Meka i am a fan and agree with you often but you don't HAVE to poke holes in EVERY post lol

1451266703406.gif

Edited by JE7

1 hour ago, meka3000 said:

I think you and many others are taking Amy's words WAY TOO literally.  As opposed to her just speaking about that in general.  Many people SAY things like "exactly" while intending them to mean in general.  Not everyone is pedantic.

Hell take her words in the Date Night Variable, "Sheldon, you either say something meaningful and from the heart, or you and I are done."

He seemingly did that, ONLY to reveal that those words were him paraphrasing form Spider-Man 1.  So after she rolled over for him and accepted Sheldon's half assed effort at saying something meaningful it became obvious that Amy was bluffing and full of shit when she said "or you and I are done."  She wasn't being EXACT when she said that quote above, why am I (or anyone else for that matter) supposed to believe she is being LITERALLY EXACT about marrying Sheldon in four years FROM THAT EXACT DAY?

What about this is half-assed?   She asked him to say something meaningful and from the heart and this dialogue jumped immediately to his mind.   She didn't tell him to make up something original,  just say something that meant something to him.   Would it have been half-assed if it was from a romantic poem, sonnet or song lyrics?  Is the only thing that makes it half-assed that it came from a superhero movie?  Was it unconventional to choose a speech from Spiderman?   Sure.  But that doesn't mean that the effort and sentiment behind it were lacking. 

28 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Meka i am a fan and agree with you often but you don't HAVE to poke holes in EVERY post lol

1451266703406.gif

I was thinking the same, he would argue if someone says black, they actually mean dark grey :D

When Amy planned for four years she probably didn't factor in a half-year break. Moreover, when she asked for time out and then broke up and referred to Sheldon as her ex-boyfriend, she must have abandoned her plans altogether. So, I wouldn't be surprised if she declared her original timeline null and void anyway.

3 hours ago, meka3000 said:

(blinks)......because the phrase ''in exactly four years' time' is specific and finite enough for it to be taken literally? This isn't someone saying 'In exactly five millennia, Sheldon and I will be married'. A timescale telescopic enough for us to figure that the 'exactly' is for emphasis rather than to be taken literally.

Also, Amy's manner and affect was not that of someone engaging in a bit of comic exaggeration on purpose e.g. 'If Donald Trump is the next President of the United States, I will eat my hat with sauce Bearnaise exactly fifteen seconds after the announcement'.

And, moreover, in context it seems to me that we were meant to shake our heads at the fanatical gleam in Amy's eyes, in her psychotically minute (as in finickingly precise) daydreaming and planning. The joke is precisely that Amy meant it. Literally.

Now, whether she still means it, or whether the show will remember that line and fulfill it,  who knows? But for us to say 'Oh, Amy meant it literally' is not the same thing as us saying '.....Therefore she still means it, and furthermore that it is written and will happen exactly as she said'.

Edited by wowbagger

4 hours ago, JE7 said:

1451266703406.gif

So why aren't you going after other members who do the same thing?

4 hours ago, nickelette424 said:

What about this is half-assed?   She asked him to say something meaningful and from the heart and this dialogue jumped immediately to his mind.   She didn't tell him to make up something original,  just say something that meant something to him.   Would it have been half-assed if it was from a romantic poem, sonnet or song lyrics?  Is the only thing that makes it half-assed that it came from a superhero movie?  Was it unconventional to choose a speech from Spiderman?   Sure.  But that doesn't mean that the effort and sentiment behind it were lacking. 

She said "I'll take it" in response as if to suggest that he wasn't going to do any better than that and she knew it.  But that's how I read that scene.  Her accepting his half assed effort, just like in the shiny trinket manuever.  When she chastised sheldon for trying to win her back with jewelery, only to reveal herself to be hypocritical in her being won back with the tiara.

From the heart is when he told her "I know it doesn't seem like it, but to me what we have right now is very intimate".

Not paraphrasing something else because those words worked on someone else in a movie.

4 hours ago, Chiany said:

I was thinking the same, he would argue if someone says black, they actually mean dark grey :D

It's all in the presentation/execution of a scene.

Edited by meka3000

Meka3000 first off I don't understand why you think you are entitled to an explanation of someone's opinion on any subject here it's just a tv program where in my opinion we're all guessing what going on or what's going to happen. Personally I really don't know why you have your opinions but you are entitled to them just like I'm entitled to mine the difference between us is i accept that and i will never feel the need to explain my opinions

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, legacy99 said:

Meka3000 first off I don't understand why you think you are entitled to an explanation of someone's opinion on any subject here it's just a tv program where in my opinion we're all guessing what going on or what's going to happen.

I never said I was entitled to an explanation. If I get one, cool.  If not, I'm not gonna sweat it.  When have you seen me lose it whenever someone didn't give an explanation of their opinion?

1 hour ago, legacy99 said: Meka3000 first off I don't understand why you think you are entitled to an explanation of someone's opinion on any subject here it's just a tv program where in my opinion we're all guessing what going on or what's going to happen.

I never said I was entitled to an explanation. If I get one, cool.  If not, I'm not gonna sweat it.  When have you seen me lose it whenever someone didn't give an explanation of their opinion?

To me it seems to happen quite often

I am sorry if this is not the right place to post this but did you guys hear that the show is being sued over the song Soft Kitty for copy write infringement by the daughter of the writer of the song so I guess no more soft kitty on the show I think it's been a while since the song was used on the show no I am wrong I think it was used earlier this season or last season when Lenny tried to get Sheldon to sleep

Edited by Earnie

7 minutes ago, Earnie said:

I am sorry if this is not the right place to post this but did you guys hear that the show is being sued over the song Soft Kitty for copy write infringement by the daughter of the writer of the song so I guess no more soft kitty on the show I think it's been a while since the song was used on the show no I am wrong I think it was used earlier this season or last season when Lenny tried to get Sheldon to sleep

I saw it, from what I've seen of the suit the plaintiffs suit is misdirected towards the show, since the show allegedly got permission from Willis music co. The plaintiffs only case from what I've seen is with Willis music co.

1 minute ago, meka3000 said:

I saw it, from what I've seen of the suit the plaintiffs suit is misdirected towards the show, since the show allegedly got permission from Willis music co. The plaintiffs only case from what I've seen is with Willis music co.

It used to be sung on 'Listen With Mother' a BBC radio programme for under-fives when I was child in the 1950s. They would have paid the music publishers.

35 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

Yes but my guess Willis music Company doesn't have a lot of money but the show makes millions so you go where the money is  I think they are hoping for a settlement

8 hours ago, joyceraye said:

When Amy planned for four years she probably didn't factor in a half-year break. Moreover, when she asked for time out and then broke up and referred to Sheldon as her ex-boyfriend, she must have abandoned her plans altogether. So, I wouldn't be surprised if she declared her original timeline null and void anyway.

Uh, so you don't think the break was part of the original plan to move things along?

3 hours ago, legacy99 said: Again just my opinion no explanation needed

In other words, truthiness.

Your opinion is no better than mine so there's no use arguing about it

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Uh, so you don't think the break was part of the original plan to move things along?

I don't know. Reflecting on that, if she decided Sheldon was permanently part of her past she'd no longer have her eye on her planned wedding date. On the other hand, I suppose since she was still seeing his friends during the breakup she just might have considered  reconciliation a possibility at the back of her mind, and could have glanced into her diary for next year. That scenario could depend on whether she'd seen the spockumentary and grasped the context of what else was in Sheldon's mind when he asked the question about the TV series :there's a difference between 'I'm thinking more about superheroes than you' and 'We'll be sharing  a TV  by season two and what are you going to let me watch ?' Things may well have moved along without the breakup if Sheldon had made his intentions clear.

Now the reconciliation has happened I'm interested to see how close the writers get us to the four years, if at all. 

17 hours ago, Carlos said:

Are you for real? When all the world (except you, of course) says in exactly four years, of course they mean from that specific day. Otherwise why even say in exactly 4 years? Do they mean in exactly 4 years from a day to be determined? That could be a multiple number of days, which would mean that it would be approximately 4 years from the present. If Amy wanted to mean that she would have said in approximately 4 years.

They can always have Amy say 25 years in the next episode. Fanfiction

11 hours ago, wowbagger said:

(blinks)......because the phrase ''in exactly four years' time' is specific and finite enough for it to be taken literally? This isn't someone saying 'In exactly five millennia, Sheldon and I will be married'. A timescale telescopic enough for us to figure that the 'exactly' is for emphasis rather than to be taken literally.

Also, Amy's manner and affect was not that of someone engaging in a bit of comic exaggeration on purpose e.g. 'If Donald Trump is the next President of the United States, I will eat my hat with sauce Bearnaise exactly fifteen seconds after the announcement'.

And, moreover, in context it seems to me that we were meant to shake our heads at the fanatical gleam in Amy's eyes, in her psychotically minute (as in finickingly precise) daydreaming and planning. The joke is precisely that Amy meant it. Literally.

Now, whether she still means it, or whether the show will remember that line and fulfill it,  who knows? But for us to say 'Oh, Amy meant it literally' is not the same thing as us saying '.....Therefore she still means it, and furthermore that it is written and will happen exactly as she said'.

Amy was serious about the 4 years. As serious as about licking Sheldon's stapler. And as serious about scenting Penny's appartment just to be bff with her.