[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

5 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I apologize since you weren't but it was like a couple hours before those posts were commented on.

Apology accepted but I dont think it matters about how long or short the time was before anyone commented on said posts, the fact that they were posted is enough in itself

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lionne said:

<snip>

And you seem to think that the fact that the show hasn't been nominated for a lot of awards...except they have, actually....as hardcore evidence that something is wrong with the show. Whether or not something is wrong with the show isn't about awards. First of all, Jim has tons of Emmys at home, Mayim has been nominated for many in back-to-back years, the show has gotten other nominations. You have no evidence, really, that something is wrong with the show - again, just a matter of your opinion that you don't like the show right now and apparently you're going to use how many awards nominations that it gets as proof. And bring in some bullshit about Orange is the New Black, suggesting that outside people nominate OSTNB into the Comedy category just to spite TBBT (seriously?!) when OSTNB is actually the show which puts itself into that category, and a lot of people complain about whether it should be allowed to do so, or if it should be forced to put itself into the Drama category where it belongs, but the competition is so much higher.

<snip>

People's opinions are people's opinions, but ...

The Big Bang theory just won Favourite TV Show at the People's Choice awards (just incase nobody knows but this one is voted for by the public) over Greys Anatomy, The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Those are huge, huge shows! They also won Favourite Network Comedy and Jim won Favourite Comedic TV Actor. They had a total of 5 nominations this year winning 3 of them, for the people keeping count there :wink: 

For the 2016 SAG (Screen Actors Guild Awards) The cast is nominated for 'Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series' and Jim Parsons is nominated for 'Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series'.

In a time when ratings are down across the board and less people are watching 'traditional television' this show just set a ratings record!
(variety.com/2016/tv/news/ratings-the-big-bang-theory-se…) and is very highly rated 

TBBT was the third most pirated show of 2015
(http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/top-10-pirated-tv-shows-of-2014-game-of-thrones-walking-dead-lead-list-1201390863/

This show has already won 8 Emmy awards which is 1 more than Friends got in its entire run! 

... There is nothing wrong with the popularity of this show, in fact to me it seems like it's bigger than ever! :) 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SRAM said:

TBBT has gone from being a new and interesting show to another stereotype 'Family Matters' where Urkel takes over the show.  Only this time the main character looks like PeeWee Herman (the character) and is abusive to everyone around him.  I'm starting to understand why critics refuse to give the show awards, and the only awards they can get are the PCA.  There is something wrong with a show when critics nominate 'Orange is the new Black' as a comedy, while ignoring the most popular comedy on TV and cable.   

Yeah, it's a real shame critics refuse to give awards to the show. Except

2009: Nominated for 4 Emmys

2010: Nominated for 4 Emmys
Won 1 Emmy (Jim Parsons for best actor)

2011: Nominated for 5 Emmys
Won 1 Emmy (Jim Parsons for best actor)

2012: Nominated for 5 Emmys

2013: Nominated for 8 Emmys
Won 3 (including Jim Parsons for best actor)

2014: Nominated for 7 Emmys
Won 2 (Outstanding Comedy Series and Jim Parsons for best actor)

2015: Nominated for 6 Emmys
Won 1 (Outstanding Comedy Series)

That's not counting the nominations and wins from Golden Globe, SAG, TV Critics Association, American Film Institute, Directors Guild, etc.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, brilliantfool said:

I mean, isn't it kind of logical to center a tv show (or a movie franchise ) around the fans' fav character...?

I mean to me it's just supply and demand, like in any other business. It would be very stupid not to sell the hell out of the most popular product in your business.

Also, $$$ aside, you can't make ALL fans at once happy unfortunately, so you have to choose, and is it bad or weird they choose to make the majority of the fans happy? To me it's only fair...

(That said, i don't think the reason Lenny don't get much screen time or stories now is Sheldon. If the writers wanted to, they could give them stories instead of Howardette. And for the record, while i'm not a Lenny, Penny is  my fav character since day 1 and i totally miss her getting more attention from the writers. So i sometimes too get pissed of just HOW much time Sheldon gets. But if he is indeed fans' favorite by far, i totally get the writers' decision to center the show around him).

This exactly.  

I believe Sheldon has been the focal point of this show since S1.   If Amy had not ever entered the picture, none of these conversations would be happening, and many of the fans of the show has today would not exist.   The show probably would have ended already. 

Granted, some Lennys and casual viewers have been lost, but many more Shamys have been gained.  It not a matter of fair or unfair, but popularity.  The proof can be found on youtube, the shipping threads, the articles on the internet, fan admission that the whole reason they got hooked on TBBT was Shamy, and the number of Shamys that attend the tapings to get spoilers on their favorite couple.

That's not to say that Lennys deserve to be overshadowed by the Shamys, but IMO, it seems that some of the Lenny fanbase is just not as obsessed or gets behind their ship as much as the Shamys do.  This effects results and perhaps the decision of where the writers want to put their focus.   

I don't pretend to understand anything about how ratings work, but given the show is more popular than ever, is considering going past S10, and more advertisers are lining up to get their few seconds into each episode so that we get less episode time, it seems the Shamy formula is working in their favor.

I guess in a way, it is our fault because we contribute to the popularity of the storylines being told, but that doesn't mean we should be made to suffer because there are more behind us than with others.

Now to put a fair spin on things, dear Shamys.   If the tables were turned and the Lennys were experiencing what we are now, how would we be reacting and would we be so quick to defend our positions the way we are now?    It's easy to make arguments about having rights to do this and that when things are going our way and we have something to celebrate.   Will we have the same courtesy the next time our ship faces a dramatic crisis while theirs takes Shamy's place on cloud nine.   Will we complain when we see or get less of Shamy because the focus is put back on Lenny?   

It goes both ways.  That is all I'm saying.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

LOL, Thanks Bill! Really informative! :wink: 

What's up with the arrow pointing to the episode number?  Is that abnormal? Or is there just so little else to look at that my eye is drawn to stray marks?  

35 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I'm not letting you get away with this attitude you seem to have.  I was rude to the character/actor, not you.  I never insulted you. YOU were rude to ME with your condescending remark and that is an insult to me personally.

As you admit, you were rude to the character/actor. Guess what, I get to object to you being rude. I don't have to sit around in silence while you're being rude just because it's not directed at me personally. Just like I wouldn't sit around letting a bully steal some kid's lollipop just because it's not my lollipop. I would call out the bullying behavior. I call out being rude. You can take the fact I have stood up to you being rude as an attack on you personally, but it's actually a stance against behavior.

If you're going to wait around all day waiting for an apology on that, that's your problem. You've admitted you were rude, you've made it impossible to defend your points now that you've acknowledged that yourself.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, jenafan said:

Now to put a fair spin on things, dear Shamys.   If the tables were turned and the Lennys were experiencing what we are now, how would we be reacting and would we be so quick to defend our positions the way we are now?    It's easy to make arguments about having rights to do this and that when things are going our way and we have something to celebrate.   Will we have the same courtesy the next time our ship faces a dramatic crisis while theirs takes Shamy's place on cloud nine.   Will we complain when we see or get less of Shamy because the focus is put back on Lenny? 

I'm willing to be we'll have more (courtesy). No one has said that the Lennys shouldn't have the right to complain. But when their complaints take the form of digs about "exploding ovaries" and Sheldon's looks, denigrating Shamy and generally making this thread a hostile place, then it's not about Lenny anymore. If we were posting about the Lennies getting a hard-on for Penny and bad-mouthing attacking Lenny because we were unhappy about Shamy? We'd be every bit as wrong and we should be called on it.

Edited by Gbb
  • Like 5

And all because someone said Sheldon looks like Pee Wee Herman? He does look like Pee Wee F##king Herman. Howard made a joke about it. Called him a cross between C3PO and Pee Wee Herman. C3P Wee Herman. It's canon!

Just goes to show that misogynists come in both sexes. Insulting a character is one thing, insulting a real person is just the absolute pits. And you dare call others on here trolls.

Disgusting behavior!

Edited by Tripper
  • Like 1

I am noticing more plaid in the world now. Maybe it was selective inattention. Still, when you look at the SpaceX crowd in this clip I think there is proportionally less plaid than in the show.

Howard should be in the background btw. I'm sure he'd consult.

Back in the show, I do think the twinned hoodies are gone. I remember Penny and Leonards' wardrobes used to mirror each other, what with the magic red pants and those hoodies. That was a fun bit of costuming. 

Edited by Nogravitasatall
And watch the clip, please. It made bits of me explode
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Gbb said:

I'm willing to be we'll have more (courtesy). No one has said that the Lennys shouldn't have the right to complain. But when their complaints take the form of digs about "exploding ovaries" and Sheldon's looks, denigrating Shamy and generally making this thread a hostile place, then it's not about Lenny anymore.

Please don't generalize. I'm a Lenny and I would never ever attack a member of another ship.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, ATOB said:

And all because someone said Sheldon looks like Pee Wee Herman? He does look like Pee Wee F##king Herman. Howard made a joke about it. Called him a cross between C3PO and Pee Wee Herman. C3P Wee Herman. It's canon!

Just goes to show that misogynists come in both sexes. Insulting a character is one thing, insulting a real person is just the absolute pits. And you dare call others on here trolls.

Disgusting behavior!

I usually agree with many of your posts, but this complaint (I assume it wasn't a sarcasm) kind of confuses me.

From what I've read, Lionne wasn't criticising Penny, but pointing that as another example of talking about the characters/actors in the insulting way, and how it goes both ways. She has explained that some posts ago. And she didn't give Penny that nickname, she said that somebody else did-that is correct.

Some things can be considered insulting if written that way, even if some were mentioned on the show, it is a matter of opinion, but many things about this show are! If somebody complains about Penny and then points out that she has slept with over thirty men, wouldn't that be an insult, even if it was possible and even mentioned on the show (yes, Sheldon's Math wasn't perfect there, but still) and there is nothing wrong with that? That is still an insult. If somebody complains about Raj in the entire post and mentions that Raj is an Indian within such comment, that is still an insult, even if we know that Raj is an Indian and the show has even featured jokes based on that fact, and there is nothing wrong with being an Indian.

I see nothing wrong with Lionne's post because it was an example. If Lenny shippers wouldn't like that, why, apparently, don't apply that same logic to Sheldon? Just my opinion. It was supposed to raise awarness, I think. And sometimes that doesn't come off as pretty. No offense.
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, jenafan said:

Shamy spent most of this season having a huge break up. Can you find one example of someone bashing how terrible the Lenny ship, Leonard, Penny, or Lenny shippers are just to make themselves feel better about the Shamy break up? Some people did not feel that Penny did enough as a girlfriend for Amy in the breakup, or maybe took Sheldon's side too much, but that's not indulgent Penny-bashing. It's analysis of the show's content, and an opinion of what is actually happening on the show.

No one went around screaming about how it's unfair Penny gets to be a lead character when clearly that should be Amy's job now because Penny is just a bitch. Or that Penny dresses in plaid like a lumberjack now and has lost her role as hot girl and should take a cut to her salary over her hair because now she dresses like a lesbian. Or that the Lenny ship was so ridiculous that they should break up and Kaley Cuoco should be dismissed from the show so that Mayim can take Kaley's place as the show's female as she clearly deserves based on all the award nominations that Mayim gets that Kaley never does. Or that this show is totally too relationship heavy now and Penny and Leonard and their stupid romance have just ruined everything. Or that Penny and Leonard are together now so obviously the Shamy have to suffer, and we should hit up Twitter with a campaign to break up Lenny so that Shamy can be happy and go back to being the center of the show.

Never! It's not even remotely the same how these two ships behave!

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, luminous said:

Please don't generalize. I'm a Lenny and I would never ever attack a member of another ship.

You're absolutely right. I apologize. And I didn't mean all Lennies, but I should have been more clear. I don't for a minute think it's all of you. I'm pretty clear who the hostile parties are.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Lionne said:

Shamy spent most of this season having a huge break up. Can you find one example of someone bashing how terrible the Lenny ship, Leonard, Penny, or Lenny shippers are just to make themselves feel better about the Shamy break up? Some people did not feel that Penny did enough as a girlfriend for Amy in the breakup, or maybe took Sheldon's side too much, but that's not indulgent Penny-bashing. It's analysis of the show's content, and an opinion of what is actually happening on the show.

No one went around screaming about how it's unfair Penny gets to be a lead character when clearly that should be Amy's job now because Penny is just a bitch. Or that Penny dresses in plaid like a lumberjack now and has lost her role as hot girl and should take a cut to her salary over her hair because now she dresses like a lesbian. Or that the Lenny ship was so ridiculous that they should break up and Kaley Cuoco should be dismissed from the show so that Mayim can take Kaley's place as the show's female as she clearly deserves based on all the award nominations that Mayim gets that Kaley never does. Or that this show is totally too relationship heavy now and Penny and Leonard and their stupid romance have just ruined everything. Or that Penny and Leonard are together now so obviously the Shamy have to suffer, and we should hit up Twitter with a campaign to break up Lenny so that Shamy can be happy and go back to being the center of the show.

Never! It's not even remotely the same how these two ships behave

Lionne, may I ask are these comments being made on this forum?

15 minutes ago, Kasey said:

MJ, you hit the nail on the head with the part I bolded.

For me, being a Johnny fan and thus a Lenny fan, when something doesn't go right in the show - which I can say sincerely it's not been a lot of quality for the Lenny lately, I tend to get cranky.  I hope that none of my posts have ever offended someone because that to me would be worse than not being happy about a show's direction. 

I, myself have said a couple of times (maybe more) that I was either leaving this forum or stepping back.  Mostly it has been because when a show is no longer your happy place, then your forum really isn't either.  And let's face it some people don't think before they type.  I know I don't always.

Verbally attacking a REAL person is never, ever in my opinion and in my life appropriate anywhere.  PERIOD.  Doesn't matter if it is attacking their opinion, their ship, their style of writing, or in retaliation.  It's just wrong.  And I don't think it is how we all want this forum to be.  I'm sure Tripper is just glowing over how this thread has devolved.

I want to be a part of a group that passionately discussing TBBT, not a group that passionately throws down each other.  I guess if this continues, then I will have to make the decision to once and for all leave. 

I really hope the show gets to a place to where you can enjoy it more again :). What did you think of the last episode? I noticed there were handful of people who felt like it was worrying for Lenny but I saw it as a sign that things are going to improve for them both. Whatever issues they may have left within them will fade away and we'll see two stronger people who can move forward in their relationship and be happy.

• Like 4

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic