[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

1 hour ago, JE7 said:

Putting what if I said before a insult does not make it any less insulting. This was simply a rage fueled attack with no positive motivation or purpose.

It was and is beneath contempt

And then for her apologists to come into the Lenny thread to continue to berate us about how we are to stupid to understand the nuance of her vile rant is beyond Despicable and anyone trying the justify it is simply laying in the gutter with her and honestly I expected better from some of you

(blinks) 'apologist'? The argument that quoting a bad thing is equivalent to saying the bad thing is flawed, which I was pointing out. By that logic, every time you quote a post with which you don't agree, you are repeating the post's offences (whether those be logical, political or whatever)-even if you were hitting 'quote' precisely to refute the post!

but look, I do think that we have gotten to a point of diminishing returns, so that's me done for the moment. PM me if you would like to continue!

Edited by wowbagger
double post
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

(blinks) 'apologist'? The argument that quoting a bad thing is equivalent to saying the bad thing is flawed, which I was pointing out. By that logic, every time you quote a post with which you don't agree, you are repeating the post's offences (whether those be logical, political or whatever)-even if you were hitting 'quote' precisely to refute the post!

but look, I do think that we have gotten to a point of diminishing returns, so that's me done for the moment. PM me if you would like to continue!

What if I said your stupid and ugly is not a quote it is a simple insult

Your rationalization is faulty

tumblr_lgz0w9iKPy1qbohddo1_500.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JE7 said:

hee! Well, IF you said that, it would be rude and hurtful, especially after we had that sleepover where you braided my hair and I told you about my deepest-rooted anxieties and insecurities and you told me 'no man is worth your tears. And the man who is, won't make you shed them.'

and IF you said that, that still wouldn't make it okay IF I responded by telling people about those hot pants that you bought that you weren't sure suited you and I told you they did but now I think they are totally the wrong colour for you.

and in neither case would we be contributing to what I have heard described as the feast of reason and flow of soul.

but saying 'guys, it is not cool to make personal remarks about ____. What if I made personal remarks about pqr?'? Not the same thing as 'here comes a personal remark about pqr!' Is all lio was, and I am, saying.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Lionne wasn't insulting Kaley. She was pointing to the instances other people have. Seriously, how hard is that for you to understand?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

hee! Well, IF you said that, it would be rude and hurtful, especially after we had that sleepover where you braided my hair and I told you about my deepest-rooted anxieties and insecurities and you told me 'no man is worth your tears. And the man who is, won't make you shed them.'

and IF you said that, that still wouldn't make it okay IF I responded by telling people about those hot pants that you bought that you weren't sure suited you and I told you they did but now I think they are totally the wrong colour for you.

and in neither case would we be contributing to what I have heard described as the feast of reason and flow of soul.

but saying 'guys, it is not cool to make personal remarks about ____. What if I made personal remarks about pqr?'? Not the same thing as 'here comes a personal remark about pqr!' Is all lio was, and I am, saying.

You can defend the cheerleaders antics all you want they still won't let you sit at there table 

8 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

This thread...

fandom_drama.gif

And no firetrucks in sight 

• Like 1

As someone who fell in the love with the ensemble show of TBBT, I find the recent spoilers a bit underwhelming.

IMHO, the show is at it's best when it is the ensemble and the shipping stories are weaved throughout.  Every so often a ship may need to be a focus of the story so they can deal with weddings, death, break ups, the real life struggles TPTB weave into to the fictional TBBT landscape.

Of course, my final judgment will be when epis finally air.  I am glad to see a lil something for Raj...in that my interest is at least a little piqued.

Edited by Denise07

21 hours ago, ATOB said:

Then she could have left it by saying how cruel the comments about Kaley were, she did not need to elaborate. And the comments about the boob job were wholly about Kaley, nothing to do with Penny, and we're wholly Lionne's. 

I don't understand. Why are you defending such a nasty and personal attack on Kaley Cuoco? It's inexcusable behavior.

BTW, I did not think she made the comment about her neck up. She said where that came from in her post.

But SRAM was very specific. Yes, the whole Pee Wee thing is canon. But if it is mentioned within the post that otherwise only criticizes Sheldon, it was, at very least, intended to come off as insult. That intent is bad enough. That way, actually, the original poster comes off as the one finding Pee Wee unattractive. And criticizing how Sheldon (or Penny, to be fair) looks is usually the same as criticizing how Jim (or Kaley) looks, unless their physical appearance was important for the episode/character and therefore "a character thing", not "an actor/actress thing"  (such as Sheldon growing a beard once).

Those comments about Kaley are hard to read for many people, I get that. I don't like them either. But those comments weren't made up by Lionne. They were made by other people and are publicly available. And yes, there are people criticizing Kaley over her "boob job". They are bad, but are we just supposed to ignore bad things? Such comparison shows that such things go both ways and are equally bad, and points to the apparent double standards inside one shipping group. There is no problems unless you think that Lionne actually just wanted to take a dig at Penny and/or Kaley. And you are free to think that, but I disagree. I see that those comments were pointed out for the comparison sake and to raise awarness over both such comments and the double standards surrounding some of them. Just my opinion. And I don't think there is a point to discuss this anymore. We may just see it differently. I wouldn't defend Lionne's post if she flat out insulted Kaley or actually made up such insulting things. What is wrong with pointing out such comments with the purpose of illustrating how bad they are? And I apologize for assuming that you thought the neck comment was made by Lionne.
Edited by Mislav
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Tensor said:

The part about turning Jim down had to do with the re-negotiation of the original contract, at the end of season three.   For the first three years, they were making around $60k per episode.   They all re-negotiated and were schedule to get $200k for year four,  increased by $50k each year to the end of the contract (year 7), with 0.25% of the back end.   Jim pulled out of the group and asked for more per episode.  It was at that point the WB told him take it or leave it.  All this, is of course, reported, but it was from multiple sources.  I'll have to try to find the articles.   

Thank you :)

I find reading about how the business end of things quite interesting, does that make me boring? lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I suspect also that they are chasing their demographic and normalising their wardrobes to match the less out-there preferences of an older audience. It makes them more relatable. Dollying up Amy was suggested by Wowbagger as a means of widening Amy's appeal, but I think they are after the Lay-z-boy set. They really aren't hipster kiddies any more and the young folk have other choices. I guess they are doubling down on the older folks. It's sad, because it makes it harder for me to vicariously live through them. I am of course wrong, but check out the SpaceC clip for plaid. There is a much more normal representation of it than in the show, which is well awash. Specially Penny's wardrobe. Cos plaid is a go-to for women in their early thirties? Idk. I am likely wrong. But costumes are a specific choice, not random happenstance.

<bump>

Also, it occurred to me to reflect on the twinning thing. Who else do we know was a big plaid fan. Who is now wearing plaid on screen. It's twinning again, only displaced in time. This I think demonstrates the subliminal, underlying, deeply embedded and possibly subconscious acknowledgment by the creatives that they have received their reward from, and are hanging their futures on, one component of their product. They know what's buttering their bread and that awareness pervades even the costume choices. Though there are other arguments, that may involve cultural differences, where plaid is worn by all, this is the argument that tickles me. 

And well done being excellent to each other recently. This explains much about the world. That's all I've got to say about that.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, phantagrae said:

I think the nature of Lionne's post was hyperbole, offering extreme or exaggerated examples to prove a point, not to say those things in reality.

Yes, there are indeed those who toss off such comments toward some of the actors, but I believe that she was offering up an example of the nature of such comments, not making those comments herself.

Crikey!  I didn't know you were on the staff too Phanta.  

Right, let me get my fick-ficko head around this, I can offer up exaggerated examples and, as long as I declare them to be examples of the terrible, terrible things that people are saying elsewhere, it's okay. Hey how about the terrible things people are saying about a shipper group, does that work too?

Now, I don't wanna get this wrong and inadvertently end up insulting someone so let me go get a template......wait there.....here we go...

You said that Sheldon/Jim Parsons looks like Pee Wee Herman. That is an insult, and you meant it as an insulting. It's fucking rude. How would the Lenny's respond if I went on a rant about the lines on Penny's neck, which earned her the nickname "Maggot Neck" by the professional show recapper on TelevisionWithOutPity? Or the blue veins on her boobs, because she got a boob job that her body can barely handle? Everyone knows exactly how it would be and all of the man-panties that would be up in a bunch if I, or any other Shamy fan, decided to start taking aim at Penny's appearance.

So, right, let's give this a go...

You said Kaley Cuoco has blue veins on her boobs because she got a boob job that her body can barely handle. That is an insult, and you meant it as an insulting(sic). It's fucking rude. How would the Shamy's respond if I went on a rant about how other forums view the fans who worship Amy as being sad, unattractive, lonely, losers who live voraciously through the story of the plain girl getting the hero because it would never happen to them in real life? Or the blue veins on her boobs because this particular sad, unattractive, lonely, loser doesn't realise that women with large breasts get veins on their boobs regardless of whether or not they've had implants put in (so that must mean there're no blue veins on her boobs, so what can we deduce from that? Everyone knows exactly how it would be and all of the lady-panties that would be up in a bunch if I, or any other Shamy fan or Lenny or general BBT fan, decided to start taking aim at those who hero-worship Amy

Now, if any of you take offence to this it is because you have got  oatmeal for brains and this post has clearly gone over your head.

Hyperbole, yeah?  

Hyper-bollocks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I want to say I have veins bulging on my boobs - picturIng Arnie in "Conan the Barbarian". I'd stop and look, but I'm on a train and even I realise that'd be disturbing to the women next to me.

Another data point: I have implants, and there was no change in vein visibility post surgery.  Veins just mean you're pale.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Boonaroma said:

Hey, this is an important discussion relevant to the show.  If Amy ever needs to make breast cookies, she needs to know how many gummy worms to buy in order to make a realistically diverse batch.

And that's how you do it.   LOL!   Rolling in the floor.

• Like 3

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic