Jump to content

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

Back to Raj.  He's all over the place.  He goes from being dripplingly sweet and over romantic, to sad pathetic puppy, to pompous know it all jerk, to terrible terrible friend.  I don't know what to think of him.  Sadly I think he's a character that could be dropped from the show with almost zero impact.  Don't get me wrong, I'd like him to have a bigger impact, and I adore the actor.

Sadly, that's also how I feel. It's always seemed to me that the writers have absolutely no clue what to do with Raj.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know you are all thirsty for spoilers, But hear me out first. Ok so I didn't post or let on I was going for a number of reasons. Number ,1 I have an incredible amount of personal issues including he

Ok...I'm posting this for a friend who was there last night.  Please note, I wasn't there directly but I do understand the importance to the community of providing information so please be appreciativ

Hello!!   So I decided to do a taping report for yesterday’s episode, “The Bachelor Party Corrosion”, I know there have been some issues with the material in previous episodes but please have faith in

Posted Images

By the end of season 10 the original 5 will all make a million an episode, if they decide to continue past 11 witch would be at 10 rates and renegotiate for say one or possibly two seasons more they may well decide to cut him lose as he indeed has little to no impact on the show or lines that would not be funny from any other cast member his charecter as of now simply isn't worth the cost

IMHO of course

Edited by JE7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JE7 said:

By the end of season 10 the original 5 will all make a million an episode, if they decide to continue past 11 witch would be at 10 rates and renegotiate for say one or possibly two seasons more they may well decide to cut him lose as he indeed has little to no impact on the show or lines that would not be funny from any other cast member his charecter as of now simply isn't worth the cost

IMHO of course

Yeah fire the 1 non-white cast member, that wouldn't cause a backlash against the show at all. :icon_rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

Yeah fire the 1 non-white cast member, that wouldn't cause a backlash against the show at all. :icon_rolleyes:

#brownpeopleproblems

:icon_wink: it's ok.  I can say that as a fellow brown person.  I don't want to lose Raj.  He needs a decent storyline though.

i always found the lack of ethnic diversity amusing.  Especially at a University.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

Yeah fire the 1 non-white cast member, that wouldn't cause a backlash against the show at all. :icon_rolleyes:

I have my doubts that Raj would be the first to go. Howard/Bernadette are expecting and I don't think TPTB want kids. So by season 12 they could be replaced with younger hungry actors depicting single characters. Raj is still single.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, meka3000 said:

1.)  At least Raj wasn't rewarded for his behavior like Sheldon was in the season 8 premiere.  Karma struck Raj after he made his decision.

3.)  What insight did we not get from Amy over the breakup?  We got what we needed from her as far as how she felt about breaking up with Sheldon and why she did it.

4.)  And what exactly qualifies as an "adult relationship" in the context of this episode, or in how Lenny should be portrayed?  Is it in them being normal?  Normal is boring IMO.

5.) Bernadette NEVER said she didn't want children, she was iffy on the subject because of specific experiences: namely with taking care of her siblings for most of the time (season 5) and her father's half assed effort in being a parent reminding her of Howard's laziness around the house (this season).  Bernadette NEVER said children were out of the question.

Also you seem to be reading an awful lot into second hand information.

1) indeed. So that's something.

3) ....did we? And look, I really don't want to open that can of worms again, but in my opinion the telling of the breakup story was awfully one-sided. I don't see that changing any time soon what with Amy being a secondary character. Doesn't mean i have to like it.

4) sure. I will just point out that in a show that is frequently accused of wheel-spinning or going 'one step forward, three steps back', this seemed very pointedly like the show saying 'so....we lobbed a bunch of issues at your head and it seemed like they were going to be a deal of some kind. Nah we don't feel like it. What we'll do is, burger and lingerie.' The glimmer of hope here is that I is the CHARACTERS who are escaping into youth and a last hurrah, which might be one way of saying 'yes, we will explore these issues, but for now the characters want to avoid them.' We shall see!

5) I mean, her sarcasm-laden car rant about how children would ruin her life sure seemed like she didn't want them. The compromise she worked out with Howard (where he would look after them while she got on with her career-) seemed like a step towards it. But I have made my feelings plain about the writing of Howardette before so i won't rehash them again.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JE7 said:

Am I the only one not surprised by Raj's behavior. From the beginning Raj has been to quote Howard an ass.

He is a selfcentered, spoiled little rich boy who is unsatisfied with what life gives him. He had a beautiful girlfriend for two years and dropped her to ask out a girl who suprise had a boyfriend (should have done his homework first lol)

The only thing I can't understand is why anyone is surprised he pulled a extreme douch move, since that is in many ways his charecters go to behavior

Nope! Raj has always been the one character I have disliked intensely, he is never shown to do anything for anyone else unless it suits his own agenda

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raj's main problem in my view is he is never satisfied, he is always looking for something "better". And honestly believes he deserves only the best, when he has something be it a car or a girlfriend he focuses not on what he has but what he feels it is missing. With that mindset he will never be satisfied and unless he can change which I have seen no evidence he can he will never be truely happy.

That change would first need him to acknowledge the need for him to change and second to put in the hard work necessary to change, at his age I don't see it happening 

Edited by JE7
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, April said:

The frustrating thing about Raj is that he has the potential to be a really sweet boyfriend but when it comes to dating and relationships he's his own worst enemy. Makes me wanna slap some sense into him! ughhh

I can only hope that whatever storyline they started with him here leads to him growing up a bit and sorting out his priorities. There's the blatant and somewhat forced comparison to Shamy's breakup and how it made them all better. Idk if that means they want to do the same with Raj and Emily. They are not the same kind of couple so I'm not sure if that'll work out the same way. Not to mention that it would be yet another couple on the show that broke up and got back together - in the same season no less!?? Jeez, even I can't spin this around and make it sound less repetitive than it obviously is. If I had to polish this turd Mythbusters' style then maybe the writers will have Raj moping around and doing some self reflection much like Sheldon did but with a different outcome, namely that maybe he realises that his way of desperately chasing love for the sake of not being alone/getting laid isn't the way to happiness. And maybe he'll have some humble pie and stop being an ass to women. Or something.

I really like Kunal and wish Raj would get an interesting storyline with this. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

I completely agree April. Maybe there is a better storyline for Raj's character in future episodes, at least I hope so. I don't want to see lonely and sad Raj again.

Edited by loriparis80
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, loriparis80 said:

I completely agree April. Maybe there is a better storyline for Raj's character in future episodes, at least I hope so. I don't want to see lonely and sad Raj again.

I fear lonely and sad Raj will be inevitable for a little while. I just hope he gets over it in some way and concentrates a bit on himself by sorting out his issues - he has plenty of those to fill up a few episodes! There are only so many times you can make a joke about him asking "What's wrong with me!?" and then have him proceed to do all the wrong things without any sort of self reflection. If I'm giving the writers the benefit of the doubt here I'd say that since they managed to have Sheldon of all people successfully sort out his priorities they can do the same with Raj. But then again Raj has been a bit neglected for a long time already so... It's really hard to tell right now. All I can do is hope for the best!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nibbler747 said:

Back to Raj.  He's all over the place.  He goes from being dripplingly sweet and over romantic, to sad pathetic puppy, to pompous know it all jerk, to terrible terrible friend.  I don't know what to think of him.  Sadly I think he's a character that could be dropped from the show with almost zero impact.  Don't get me wrong, I'd like him to have a bigger impact, and I adore the actor.

Him having a sweet nice girlfriend, doesn't seem to work.  Even though Emily has her weird tendencies, it seems like they tried to normalize her in the last few episodes, and make her quite sweet.  I think he needs a girl who he really doesn't get along with at first.  Someone who calls him out on his crap.  Someone to spar with.  Then I'd like to see them slowly fall in love with each other, fighting it the whole way.  Perhaps that sounds a bit cliché, but I think it could be interesting to watch if written well.

That being said, I don't think enough time will be devoted to Raj on the show to really develop that arc.  Well not everyone needs to be paired off.  Joey wasn't on Friends.

I agree, here.   Maybe in the end, Raj realizes he really can be alone and that is okay.   Maybe that is the point.   He seems to have issues accepting his identity.   He talks about party planning, loves to cook, loves to create mystery games, etc.   Perhaps if he embraced one of these passions, he'd forget about his supposed need to be with a woman and just be content living with his dog and doing the things he enjoys.    He never seems to be that passionate about his career-path anyway.

I like Raj better when he is paired up as a friend than when he is paired up with a girl.   I like Emily.   Didn't care for Lucy.   Either way, Raj always seemed to have more anxiety issues than happiness in both relationships. 

As far as dropping him from the show, I would miss all the jokes about his uterus, accent, and mannerisms.   I think he is adorable.   I especially love him and Sheldon together.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

idk. Raj acts like an entitled male, I think. Transcends colour maybe. If the TV was monochrome...

I may be wrong but I feel a bit insulted, could you clarify this statement please

4 hours ago, nibbler747 said:

#brownpeopleproblems

:icon_wink: it's ok.  I can say that as a fellow brown person.  I don't want to lose Raj.  He needs a decent storyline though.

i always found the lack of ethnic diversity amusing.  Especially at a University.  

Does it make it seem worse that besides Raj and Mrs. Davis the only "ethnic" charectors I can remember off the top of my head are the two Chinese extras in the cafeteria when Sheldon was learning Chinese and that was what? Season 2 I think

Edited by JE7
Autocorrect sux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Does it make it seem worse that besides Raj and Mrs. Davis the only "ethnic" charectors I can remember off the top of my head are the two Chinese extras in the cafeteria when Sheldon was learning Chinese and that was what? Season 2 I think

Priya and Mandy

Levar Burton

Speaking of Mandy Cho, I was watching TBBT reruns, and her name was mentioned in the background in a S5 or S6 episode I believe.  I wish I could remember which episode it was.   So, TPTB didn't pull her character out of thin air.   Apparently she's been a part of the university for awhile.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JE7 said:

I may be wrong but I feel a bit insulted, could you clarify this statement please

Does it make it seem worse that besides Raj and Mrs. Davis the only "ethnic" charectors I can remember off the top of my head are the two Chinese extras in the cafeteria when Sheldon was learning Chinese and that was what? Season 2 I think

Raj doesn't want any more Indian people in his circle. 'We've got one of those,' he says when there's an Indian on Amy's dating website. He preferred a South American as I recall.

To add to the list of 'ethnic' characters, wasn't there a Ukrainian scientist working as a janitor ? Then there's the lovely Dave Giggs who translated Sheldon's earworm and heartworm witterings for Amy. ( Yeah, go Dave ! ) Of course there's Howard himself  and Bernadette's father and Leonard's parents. Since the Coopers identify themselves as Texan we don't need to know their 'ethnicity'.

Edited by joyceraye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict Raj and Emily will be back together.  Emily will come back to Raj and ask him to hide her from police after they start finding parts of her roommate around Pasadena.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JE7 said:

I may be wrong but I feel a bit insulted, could you clarify this statement please

 

"lets put on some R Kelly and suck face". Might be a misquote, because what do I know of American music, but he has acted almost like the worst kind of lad. I think Emily was karma. She kept him nervous and alert. That way he wouldn't fall back on his laddish ways. Where he felt entitled to say such things. He at times was representative of a type. Not the best type.

And seriously, are you Raj? :) ???????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

"lets put on some R Kelly and suck face". Might be a misquote, because what do I know of American music, but he has acted almost like the worst kind of lad. I think Emily was karma. She kept him nervous and alert. That way he wouldn't fall back on his laddish ways. Where he felt entitled to say such things. He at times was representative of a type. Not the best type.

And seriously, are you Raj? :) ???????

No just a man defending his gender LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jenafan said:

Priya and Mandy

Levar Burton

Speaking of Mandy Cho, I was watching TBBT reruns, and her name was mentioned in the background in a S5 or S6 episode I believe.  I wish I could remember which episode it was.   So, TPTB didn't pull her character out of thin air.   Apparently she's been a part of the university for awhile.

Glenn. Did no-one notice Bernadette's ex-boyfriend Glenn?

I noticed Glenn.

I noticed Glenn.....a lot!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2016 at 1:58 AM, BangerMain said:

That would guarantee that would kill a large portion of the audience for the perpetual episodes in syndication. Loyal veiwers would remember that the investment  in Lenny and Shamy was a complete waste.

The memory of the build up to the the finale is all you have left once the show is off the air. That's what they have to protect.

I suppose it depends on how far the ratings drop with the status quo. Shenny has shock value, it'd be a big draw for the "casuals". Those that care enough to attend tapings, write fanfiction, or even post here are very much the minority in the overall fan-base.

That Shenny kiss caused a media furore, and it wasn't overly pimped in the way the Shamy 'Coitus' was either. Though Shenny doesn't appeal to those invested heavily in Shamy and Lenny, I don't think you should underestimate it's pull on the wider audience.

What IS the point of Leonard's infidelity? Why did tptb plant that particular seed of discontent if not for it to germinate and grow? And Amy, why the recent shrewish character development? It's all very odd to say the least, no?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ATOB said:

I suppose it depends on how far the ratings drop with the status quo. Shenny has shock value, it'd be a big draw for the "casuals". Those that care enough to attend tapings, write fanfiction, or even post here are very much the minority in the overall fan-base.

That Shenny kiss caused a media furore, and it wasn't overly pimped in the way the Shamy 'Coitus' was either. Though Shenny doesn't appeal to those invested heavily in Shamy and Lenny, I don't think you should underestimate it's pull on the wider audience.

What IS the point of Leonard's infidelity? Why did tptb plant that particular seed of discontent if not for it to germinate and grow? And Amy, why the recent shrewish character development? It's all very odd to say the least, no?

In the face of this threat to all that is good and natural We must maintain...

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!!

_20160122_151834.JPG

Edited by JE7
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.