Jump to content

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9


Tensor

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Yeah Howard's and Leonard's Father im prob most interested in.

Yes, it will be really interesting to find out what they have to say for themselves, especially Howard's father whose departure affects his son to this day. We may even find out what was in the letter from him that Howard destroyed but Sheldon memorised.

To me it says something about his  character that he signed over the house to Howard and Bernie with no fuss, although (if American/Californian  law is like England and Wales' and joint ownership means the widowed party becomes the sole owner ) he could have sold it and kept the money for himself.

Amy's family had what for TPTB must have been a very useful fatal accident involving we-don't-know -how-many of her relatives gathered for her cousin Irene's wedding. There is scope for a lot of explanations there if they want to introduce any of the remaining ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So in the continuation of writer inconsistencies, someone just posted this in the Shamy thread regarding the upcoming Mee-Maw episode.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/big-bang-theory-meemaw-materialization-101308048.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons&soc_trk=tw

Below is my response and while I love the show as a whole, the insurmountable inconsistencies now involving season wide and well established plot lines is why I would prefer (although an unpopular opinion, I know) if they would end the series in season 10 and start a spinoff instead...

Sheldon's comment about Amy and Mee-Maw's cycles syncing bothers me more than the inappropriate joke that I know it is intended as.  Of all the lines that Amy used as the final straw for the breakup outburst in episode 9.1 was Sheldon mentioning how he could sire offspring indefinitely, but Amy's eggs had an expiration date.  Thus, Sheldon is aware of menopause, not to mention he asked what age Penny's mother was when she went into menopause in order to calculate how many tampons in bulk Penny should buy.  Yet, the viewers must make peace with yet another writer inconsistency that supposedly has no relevance.  IMHO, other than Sheldon's growth (and I would hope Amy's growth too, but I should know better than to be that optimistic), it seems to make all the breakup drama meaningless.

Edited by Touche
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Touche said:

So in the continuation of writer inconsistencies, someone just posted this in the Shamy thread regarding the upcoming Mee-Maw episode.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/big-bang-theory-meemaw-materialization-101308048.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons&soc_trk=tw

Below is my response and while I love the show as a whole, I would prefer (although an unpopular opinion, I know) if they would end the series in season 10 and start a spinoff instead...

Sheldon's comment about Amy and Mee-Maw's cycles syncing bothers me more than the inappropriate joke that I know it is intended as.  Of all the lines that Amy used as the final straw for the breakup outburst in episode 9.1 was Sheldon mentioning how he could sire offspring indefinitely, but Amy's eggs had an expiration date.  Thus, Sheldon is aware of menopause, not to mention he even mentioned menopause to Penny when he wanted her to buy her tampons in bulk.  Yet, the viewers must make peace with yet another writer inconsistency that supposedly has no relevance.  IMHO, other than Sheldon's growth (and I would hope Amy's growth too, but I should know better than to be that optimistic), it seems to make all the breakup drama meaningless in the end.

Couldn't it be just an awkward attempt to defuse the situation? I didn't take it literally, anyway, of course Sheldon knows about menopause, he watches movies, and knows what people (women, in this case...) do, LOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mirs1 said:

Couldn't it be just an awkward attempt to defuse the situation? I didn't take it literally, anyway, of course Sheldon knows about menopause, he watches movies, and knows what people (women, in this case...) do, LOL!

I guess I am just a little too scarred from the breakup, so rather than enjoy the cheap joke, I am disillusioned that they could not use any other topic (i.e. two hens clucking-one of my favorite Sheldon jokes btw) to defuse the situation especially when it contradicts the direct cause of the breakup within this season.  I mean I know they use different writers for different episodes, but still WTF?  

Also, if Sheldon has an eidetic memory to remember he never told Amy why Mee-Maw calls him Moonpie over the course of five years, but he can't remember his insult from six months ago that prompted Amy to breakup with him, yeah that's believable.  However, casual viewers see Penny and Lenny as the doting "parents" to Sheldon, and Amy as a clueless girlfriend.

Edited by Touche
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Couldn't it be just an awkward attempt to defuse the situation? I didn't take it literally, anyway, of course Sheldon knows about menopause, he watches movies, and knows what people (women, in this case...) do, LOL!

And he also knows how much Amy likes her menstrual cycle to sync up with her friends' as a sign of their closeness. :)  I'm wondering now whether he'll make one of his snorting giggles in the next second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

He's supposed to be loaded up with student loan debt, yet he pays for over $1,400 dollars worth of food, gasoline, and rent for Penny.

It's possible for him to put himself in financial burden to help out penny the same way she did for Kurt in season 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Amy's family had what for TPTB must have been a very useful fatal accident involving we-don't-know -how-many of her relatives gathered for her cousin Irene's wedding.

None of her relatives died, outside of her cousin's family.

From The isolation Permutation:-

Twelve years ago, my cousin Irene and her entire family died in a horrific carbon monoxide accident the night before her wedding.

 

4 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

It's possible for him to put himself in financial burden to help out penny the same way she did for Kurt in season 2.

Where's he going to get ~ $1,500, when he's already seriously in debt?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

None of her relatives died, outside of her cousin's family.

From The isolation Permutation:-

Twelve years ago, my cousin Irene and her entire family died in a horrific carbon monoxide accident the night before her wedding.

 

Good point. Thanks. So that would include one pair or more of Amy's uncles and aunts, possibly two of Amy's grandparents, some more of her cousins, Irene's other cousins on her other side, but presumably not Amy's father as Amy said 'her' entire family when she referred to Irene, as you point out. Interesting that Amy as maid of honour  wasn't there, neither was her mother - or they somehow escaped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sort of come down in favour of Penny remaining as a pharma sales rep (at least in her day job) because I didn't really get the sense that she disliked the job, just that her dream was to be an actor and dreams don't die easily. I like nibbler's marketing for entertainment idea, and it would be an organic source for guest stars if penny were to be some sort of entertainment industry bigshot, with the melancholy reflection that the success she has found is behind the camera. And let us all applaud kaley cuoco, who despite having been a successful working actor from an early age herself, tapped so beautifully into the hopeful hopelessness of aspiring actors.

I also think it would be an interesting source of conflict between Penny and Leonard. I think Leonard sort of gets how important acting is to Penny, but because he has so many passions that he can pursue, he may not fully get the extent of Penny's yearning. And of course, he associates acting for Penny with the endless round of auditions and disappointment, so you can't really blame him for thinking of it as good riddance.

but instead of whatever contrived bullshit the show came up with in the shrink episode, I would love it if penny and Leonard had a proper argument about the acting thing.

Leonard: It's not just you anymore! It's our money and our stability!

Penny: Well, YOU quit your dream job then and join the industry!

Leonard: I get you're upset, but why make both of us miserable?

Penny: You don't get it! You got to follow your passions! All of them! I basically had acting and you!

Leonard: You've still got me!

penny: Until you kiss some other smart pretty girl you see every day!

and so forth. Now I believe that Lenny would resolve it satisfyingly, but there are so many interesting rich stories to tell here, show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Interesting that Amy as maid of honor  wasn't there, neither was her mother - or they somehow escaped.

Maybe Amy and her mother weren't staying at the house (perhaps they were staying in a hotel, or with another family member), or, maybe they lived so close, that Amy and her mother were driving there, on the wedding day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I sort of come down in favour of Penny remaining as a pharma sales rep (at least in her day job) because I didn't really get the sense that she disliked the job, just that her dream was to be an actor and dreams don't die easily. I like nibbler's marketing for entertainment idea, and it would be an organic source for guest stars if penny were to be some sort of entertainment industry bigshot, with the melancholy reflection that the success she has found is behind the camera. And let us all applaud kaley cuoco, who despite having been a successful working actor from an early age herself, tapped so beautifully into the hopeful hopelessness of aspiring actors.

I also think it would be an interesting source of conflict between Penny and Leonard. I think Leonard sort of gets how important acting is to Penny, but because he has so many passions that he can pursue, he may not fully get the extent of Penny's yearning. And of course, he associates acting for Penny with the endless round of auditions and disappointment, so you can't really blame him for thinking of it as good riddance.

Thus part is great, well said and I totally agree as for the rest, I can do without Lenny conflict for the rest of the season thanks :codemafia:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Maybe Amy and her mother weren't staying at the house (perhaps they were staying in a hotel, or with another family member), or, maybe they lived so close, that Amy and her mother were driving there, on the wedding day.

Seems likely. I'd like to know. On US programmes I've noticed they have the rehearsal the night before the wedding and make quite a do of it, which could be why the whole family were in one place at the time. Yes, perhaps Amy and her parents had gone home, taking the dresses with them and were intending to go back early the next day. I wonder where the wedding was that needed heaters and not air-conditioners ?

According to Sheldon at Thanksgiving, the Pasadena temperatures were such in November  that would earn 'Phew What A Scorcher !' headlines in a London newspaper in July. I turn fans on behind blocks of ice when it's that hot in my house. It's hard to believe if the wedding were anywhere near where they live now that they'd want space heaters at any time of year.

I don't know where Amy comes from. Penny is from Nebraska, Bernadette and Howard are local, Leonard is from New Jersey, Sheldon is from Texas, Raj is from New Delhi. Is Amy's accent a bit New Yorkish ? She has aunts within driving distance now but I can't tell where she grew up.

Edited by joyceraye
Adding a missing sentence to clarify.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

 

I don't know where Amy comes from. Penny is from Nebraska, Bernadette and Howard are local, Leonard is from New Jersey, Sheldon is from Texas, Raj is from New Delhi. Is Amy's accent a bit New Yorkish ? She has aunts within driving distance now but I can't tell where she grew up.

She is from Glendale, near LA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

None of her relatives died, outside of her cousin's family.

From The isolation Permutation:-

Twelve years ago, my cousin Irene and her entire family died in a horrific carbon monoxide accident the night before her wedding.

 

Where's he going to get ~ $1,500, when he's already seriously in debt?

In debt doesn't necessarily mean you don't have money to spend/lend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

I agree.  He can have debt but it doesn't mean he's strapped for cash.  He just has less disposable income than someone with no debt.

To quote Leoanrd:  "I have no money."  Sounds like he's strapped for cash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember,he bought Penny a car shortly before she went into pharm sales.  He can't be too hurting for money.  Also, my husband, I , and both of our daughters were put in DeferredComp. programs when we were hired and even had to go to sessions once a year about planning for retirement--so Penny saying "she had a guy"  doesn't mean she's now super rich, I imagine most big corporations do that automatically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

I agree.  He can have debt but it doesn't mean he's strapped for cash.  He just has less disposable income than someone with no debt.

Not necessarily. As you say, debt doesn't always mean being hard up. However, even someone with a greater than average disposable income can have debts. Most of us at some time in our lives have things to pay out for every month, such as credit cards, cars and mortgages even if we're well off, not to mention our education ( TBTG I'm old enough to have got mine free ) but in many cases the debt is easily manageable, especially if the student debt situation led to a good salary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, I Miss Dan said:

Remember,he bought Penny a car shortly before she went into pharm sales.  He can't be too hurting for money.  

And I would agree with you, if it wasn't for the claim of having no money.  If he has no money, where did he get the money to buy the car?  Or did the cost of buying the car, cause him to have no money.  

 If buying the care ended up with him having no money, why try to give the money back to Penny, after she presented him with the money from the sale of the car?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Is Amy's accent a bit New Yorkish ?

I don't think so.

According to Wikipedia, Mayim was born, raised, and lives in California.

Her accent, when she talks, isn't hugely different from Amy's, so I'm guessing Amy is also from, or near to, California

3 hours ago, mirs1 said:

She is from Glendale, near LA. 

That's where she lives, but is that were she was born and raised?

Given Mayim was born, raised, and lives in California (she was born and lives in San Diego), I'm going to guess, Amy also comes from somewhere around the same area.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Touche said:

So in the continuation of writer inconsistencies, someone just posted this in the Shamy thread regarding the upcoming Mee-Maw episode.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/big-bang-theory-meemaw-materialization-101308048.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons&soc_trk=tw

Below is my response and while I love the show as a whole, the insurmountable inconsistencies now involving season wide and well established plot lines is why I would prefer (although an unpopular opinion, I know) if they would end the series in season 10 and start a spinoff instead...

Sheldon's comment about Amy and Mee-Maw's cycles syncing bothers me more ....

Your example strikes me as a trivial inconsistency. I'd like the show to continue even with flaws.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.