[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

2 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

Claire seems a lot like Penny.  Struggling screenwriter , broke, working as a bartender.

I got the exact same impression.   I was thinking,  why do we need another Penny?  I like the one we already have. 

Claire was cute, but I like Emily better.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

feel that just because Meemaw fired the first shot was not an excuse for Amy to bring out the guns as a show of force. I know most folks disagree, I'm good with that...I didn't see any give from Amy, no acknowledgement of WHY Meemaw may have reservations about her, and that maybe she could have done things a little differently. I think softening up her approach a bit would've been nice...

Yes, it's a pity Amy had no time at all to prepare a defence, an appeasement, or a counter-attack. On the contrary, she'd been led to believe a loving, sweet old lady was coming  to see her man and fall in love with her too. Her first response, that Meemaw would like her when she knew her better, was the politest I imagine I could come up with after taken by surprise like that.  Amy's a little ahead of  Sheldon on the empathy front, so had she known what was coming, she might well have given thought as to how to respond more appreciatively of how Meemaw saw things.  As it was, bearing in mind that she's now reached the emotional age of perhaps fourteen to sixteen whereas Sheldon is still about seven, I thought Amy held her own as well as could be expected after being so wrong-footed.  I'd like to have heard more of the ' grown-ups' ' conversation between Amy and Meemaw. To me, too much was crammed into a small space.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jenafan said:

I'm not quite sure how to feel about tonight's episode, but I'm sorry to say, I think I'm leaning toward not liking it. 

I saw Meemaw as an enabler to Sheldon, which explains her overprotectiveness of him.   She seemed happy and giddy, and then like a light switch can turn into a mean old batty.    She was downright rude to Amy, but at the same time, I saw empathy in her.    She understands what Amy has to "put up with," but at the same time wants to ensure that Amy will continue to "put up with" Sheldon and not break his heart again.   I'm glad Amy put her in her place by insisting Sheldon is an adult and needs to not be treated like a child.

I didn't care for Meemaw praising Penny, who she also does not know, for having a career, but then belittling Amy for having one.   I loved the way Amy told Meemaw that Sheldon is an an adult perhaps she knows better what Sheldon needs.

I still did not like Amy's lines "maybe I don't want to be engaged to him," "you don't know what I have to put up with" and "I'm his best shot."     So, why again did she get back together with him, and is she is sure Sheldon is the one she wants to spend the rest of her life putting up with?   If I were in Meemaw's position, these are the questions I would want answers to, because rather than defend her relationship with Sheldon because she loves and wants to be with him, Amy is making it sound like she's his rescuer.

The syncing cycles line made no sense, because Sheldon's portrayal of understanding about women's cycles and menopause has been made known over several episodes in past seasons.

The ring:   I get the impression now that Sheldon did not ask for it, but his mother just gave it to him.   So, Sheldon was considering giving it to Amy because he had it in his possession and the next step of proposing seemed logical.   However, he did seem extremely disappointed that his Meemaw let the cat out of the bag about it.   So, I believe Sheldon does want to marry Amy, but his reasons for giving her the ring have changed.  It's about rebuilding their relationship, first and then taking the next step with heartfelt desire and feeling.

It seems Lenny assisted Sheldon's efforts to defend Amy by encouraging him to do so, and I applaud him for following through.   Sheldon's line about Amy getting emotional seemed to be one more of irritation rather than empathy.   Also, in true Sheldon style, he tried to redirect the growth to Amy rather than himself.   I liked the way Amy said they had been growing together, but I didn't care for Sheldon having to be prompted by Lenny to agree.

My favorite part of the whole episode was Sheldon looking Amy in the eye to remind her of his gift and to tell her to cool her jets.   I can't blame him after hearing her say to his Meemaw that perhaps she didn't want to be engaged to him.   Besides, she did break up with him.   I can't believe he is still not trying to recover from it.

What surprised me was that Meemaw did not seem bothered at all that Sheldon had given Amy his virginity.  She smiled, which caused me to consider one or all of the following:   She already knew, she was happy Sheldon was delaying the engagement, or she approved the match but was just putting Amy and Sheldon to the test.

I hate that Sheldon calls Leonard his best friend but continues to want to put him down and not give him the credit he deserves. 

I didn't care for the Raj/Howardette storyline at all.   Raj is turning out to be a douchebag, and I was really starting to like Emily.

I get that folks dislike Meemaw and what she did to Amy. And while I think it's perfectly in character for Meemaw to "size up" Amy given the break up, I don't think she should be doing it in front of the others. Meemaw for me is your typical old school southern grandma. I had one myself from Texas lol. So maybe I relate on a different level. But anyway, she is blunt and straight to the point and I like that. It's easy to see that it's important to her that manners are always practiced ( despite her own bad form towards Amy lol) and that people are taken care of--you see that at the airport, you see it in the way her daughter Mary raised Sheldon (assuming Mary learned it all from how Meemaw raised her), and you see it in how she loves and cares for her Moonpie.

Like you I see an empathy in her for Amy despite her ambush of her. Amy doesn't know it initially, but Meemaw knows all too well what it means to deal with a guy like Sheldon. Her description of having thought about putting corn in Pop Pop's pockets and throwing him to the pigs was priceless...Yes she loves Sheldon unconditionally, but she obviously knows Sheldon is a pain in the ass too. The bottom line and the point she is trying to Amy is that you work through problems, not cut and run. Had Amy became history I doubt Meemaw would've shown up. But Amy is back, and Meemaw is gonna see what Amy is all about. Is Amy still a flight risk? Does she need to knock some sense into Sheldon? 

I think in the end Meemaw is satisfied, for now, that Amy is gonna stick around. That's a good thing.

I too was surprised at the reaction from Meemaw (I didn't see much of anything myself, others say she looked like she approved. Didn't see that). I thought there would be more of a WTF?? moment...

I like how Leonard still has Sheldon's back despite Sheldon still being a tool to him at times. Though I think we all would like to see Sheldon continue growing without constant prodding from Amy or Lenny, I was good with Leonard giving Sheldon a nudge in the right direction with not only getting him to return to 4A but to agree with Amy about both needing to change. This was a heavy confrontation with Meemaw for him and I'll forgive Sheldon regressing a bit...

I agree with your assessment of Raj. It's funny, I saw this new gal as somewhat of a similar personality as Emily (who I like as well). She has a direct way of talking (love that raspy voice), kinda looked at the ONE HOUR long discussion on Frozen in the comic shop as strange, and seemed like a confident gal trying to get some research done. When I read the TR I thought that she had an attraction to Raj but after seeing this play out, no way! I think she literally was trying to pick Raj's brain and nothing more, and when he calls her and presses her on the whole "spark" thing she concedes in a bewildered way just to get past it so that she could talk to him over coffee about her project....I like Raj and I think he's funny, but I don't care for this arc that is developing with him yet again. I had hoped Emily would put an end to his childish girl issues....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Yes, it's a pity Amy had no time at all to prepare a defence, an appeasement, or a counter-attack. On the contrary, she'd been led to believe a loving, sweet old lady was coming  to see her man and fall in love with her too. Her first response, that Meemaw would like her when she knew her better, was the politest I imagine I could come up with after taken by surprise like that.  Amy's a little ahead of  Sheldon on the empathy front, so had she known what was coming, she might well have given thought as to how to respond more appreciatively of how Meemaw saw things.  As it was, bearing in mind that she's now reached the emotional age of perhaps fourteen to sixteen whereas Sheldon is still about seven, I thought Amy held her own as well as could be expected after being so wrong-footed.  I'd like to have heard more of the ' grown-ups' ' conversation between Amy and Meemaw. To me, too much was crammed into a small space.

yeah the bold part...my wife and I discussed this (she's unspoiled and doesn't like to know what's coming) after the episode and we both agree that Amy SHOULD have known what was coming, or at least anticipated a backlash of some sort. She broke up with Sheldon, and it was a lengthy one too. Maybe she, like others on this forum, felt that it's no one else's business how their relationship ended and got started back again. Or that no explanations are required or warranted for anyone outside the relationship. Fair enough. But I think the reality is, when you have a matriarch like Meemaw in one's life, that family WILL have an interest in what happened to Sheldon, and would be interested in knowing what the heck was going on...certainly that was the case with beloved Meemaw....

Sheldon should've set the record straight and clearly didn't. Or maybe he did with Mary, but never bothered with Meemaw...whatever the case, I think Amy should have at least thought this confrontation could be a possibility and have better prepared herself for it. Then again, maybe she just didn't give a damn and would have done nothing differently even if she knew it was coming.

As it stands, it was over and done with rather quickly. I'm ready for the next episode and FWF!

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 2L344 said:

yeah the bold part...my wife and I discussed this (she's unspoiled and doesn't like to know what's coming) after the episode and we both agree that Amy SHOULD have known what was coming, or at least anticipated a backlash of some sort. She broke up with Sheldon, and it was a lengthy one too. Maybe she, like others on this forum, felt that it's no one else's business how their relationship ended and got started back again. Or that no explanations are required or warranted for anyone outside the relationship. Fair enough. But I think the reality is, when you have a matriarch like Meemaw in one's life, that family WILL have an interest in what happened to Sheldon, and would be interested in knowing what the heck was going on...certainly that was the case with beloved Meemaw....

Sheldon should've set the record straight and clearly didn't. Or maybe he did with Mary, but never bothered with Meemaw...whatever the case, I think Amy should have at least thought this confrontation could be a possibility and have better prepared herself for it. Then again, maybe she just didn't give a damn and would have done nothing differently even if she knew it was coming.

As it stands, it was over and done with rather quickly. I'm ready for the next episode and FWF!

That's an interesting point of view. I can see it now you point it out.  It actually hadn't occurred to me that Amy herself knew that Sheldon had been so seriously hurt let alone guessed he'd have told his family. The only clue that I can remember is 'getting over you' in the phone call at the end of the Thanksgiving episode, which coming in the middle of a rebuff  might not have sunk in. ( The way he put it surprised me but then I didn't know until someone on here told me how much time had passed. ) All I saw Amy see and hear from Sheldon was anger at having his carp rejected once and for all. He'd even said,' strongly disagree' in the Skype conversation at the end of S8E24. Leonard said to Penny at one point, 'Amy broke his heart' but I don't recall anybody telling Amy that.  Far from it : they were all, including the only male friends he had, trying to fix her up elsewhere. Maybe any other woman of her chronological age would have understood Sheldon's angle, and perhaps even teenager Amy would have done so in time had she been given more than eleven hours to think things through in the first place, and had Sheldon not told her the first time they met in the hall that he'd already started asking other women out. We the viewers are verbally reminded, ( good for scriptwriters ) when they're on the couch getting Meemaw to accept the relationship, just how young they both are and still growing. Those of us who've known them long enough know Sheldon has got it the wrong way round of course, and which one is ' older' .

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

But i think a proposal is better suited for the season finale imo.

A season finale proposal, means a rushed wedding, to have them marry in 10.02

9 hours ago, kerrycec03 said:

So I asked my hubby what he thought the "big secret" was at the promo and found what he came up with interesting. And he is so not a big fan but watches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://vimeo.com/154260805

Howard already had a circumcision, when he was a baby.

But i think a proposal is better suited for the season finale imo.

A season finale proposal, means a rushed wedding, to have them marry in 10.02

So I asked my hubby what he thought the "big secret" was at the promo and found what he came up with interesting. And he is so not a big fan but watches...

https://vimeo.com/154260805

Howard already had a circumcision, when he was a baby.

Dude he was joking but ok

6 hours ago, MsRajeshFowlerCooper said:

I loved Meemaw.  I didn't like how she treated Amy, but she is just a ball of unconditional love, while enabling Sheldon.  It explains why Sheldon is Sheldon, at least to me. Like when he told Amy about investing in the comic book store, and said something like if she thought it was a bad idea, he would question their entire relationship.  Sounds like the kind of thing a guy might do if someone treated him like he walked on water.   Amy backed down at that point.  That would never happen now.  I know many disagree, but I really do see Amy as Sheldon's savior.  

The 2 things about Amy that bothered me were how she sometimes was a doormat, like in the above example.  I like that she is now confident enough in her relationship to know that it won't be broken by her standing up to Sheldon and telling him that he's mean when he's sick or that his beloved Meemaw is a B word.  

The other trait of Amy's that bothers me is her running away.  How many times has she left or almost left during an argument?  She tried to leave tonight, but Sheldon stopped her and she stayed to talk it out with Meemaw.  I would have loved her to say something expressing love for Sheldon to Meemaw, but she has always been crazy about him, so I don't doubt that just because she didn't say it.  

She is Sheldon's best shot.  He is trying and picky and selfish (but also brilliant and sweet and trying to be a better person).  And he is a man who is treated like a child by almost everyone who loves him.  Amy makes him be a grownup, but she also builds forts with him and plays made up games and dresses up for FWF.   She makes him a better person, but a better version of himself, not a different person.   So yes, she is his best shot at happiness.   He is also hers.  She knows she has options now.  She doesn't want them.  They are each other's only real shots.  

I like that they annoy each other (he rolled his eyes at her getting emotional, but I feel like we tend to get a lot more annoyed at her eye rolling) and they also make each other happy.  That to me is real-life, imperfect love   

My biggest complaint about the episode is that Sheldon seemed to have amnesia about Amy making him a better person, which he has acknowledged on several occasions.  

With Sheldon's declaration of their now improved relationship coming next week, I hope to see something similar coming from Amy before the end of the season.  

How did I end up writing so much?  Ahhhh sorry.  

I think the problem I have with that is that most people probably know it's true she would be the only one to put up with him , but that's still not a nice thing to say about someone you like. I want to like this pairing, and to me that also means I want to feel like Amy loves being with Sheldon because of who he is, not despite of it, because she happens to be the one that fits his idiosyncracies. I mean, if you do indeed think you're someone's "best shot", then either you have a massively inflated ego, or you think that your partner is so terrible that no other person in the world could love them. I think the problem is also that they have made Sheldon ever more childish - he was odd and silly in Season 1-3, but he was undeniably an adult - while Amy is really a more or less normal person now (when have we last seen her act really awkward, or talk about her love of medieval poetry, play the harp badly, or deal with her strange monkey experiments?) I really shipped the Shamy in episodes like Memetic Herb Garden, but this episode reminded me that I never understood why they got back together. (That is not to say that they're not still funny; TBBT's comedy has often gotten very mean-spirited especially in regards to how the couples treat each other, but I happen to think the jokes are good. It just doesn't make me think they belong together.)

I do get your second complaint, but the episode also forgot Sheldon knows how female bodies work and that there were actually two episodes that specifically focused on Howard's doubt over Bernadette (the one where he found out she doesn't like kids, and the one with George Takei). I wouldn't hope too hard on Sheldon remembering anything he learned. TBBT continuity is worse than a 600 issue run of Batman.

6 hours ago, MsRajeshFowlerCooper said:

Edited by A.D.A.
The quote system does not like me
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, A.D.A. said:

I think the problem I have with that is that most people probably know it's true she would be the only one to put up with him , but that's still not a nice thing to say about someone you like. I want to like this pairing, and to me that also means I want to feel like Amy loves being with Sheldon because of who he is, not despite of it, because she happens to be the one that fits his idiosyncracies. I mean, if you do indeed think you're someone's "best shot", then either you have a massively inflated ego, or you think that your partner is so terrible that no other person in the world could love them. I think the problem is also that they have made Sheldon ever more childish - he was odd and silly in Season 1-3, but he was undeniably an adult - while Amy is really a more or less normal person now (when have we last seen her act really awkward, or talk about her love of medieval poetry, play the harp badly, or deal with her strange monkey experiments?) I really shipped the Shamy in episodes like Memetic Herb Garden, but this episode reminded me that I never understood why they got back together. (That is not to say that they're not still funny; TBBT's comedy has often gotten very mean-spirited especially in regards to how the couples treat each other, but I happen to think the jokes are good. It just doesn't make me think they belong together.)

I do get your second complaint, but the episode also forgot Sheldon knows how female bodies work and that there were actually two episodes that specifically focused on Howard's doubt over Bernadette (the one where he found out she doesn't like kids, and the one with George Takei). I wouldn't hope too hard on Sheldon remembering anything he learned. TBBT continuity is worse than a 600 issue run of Batman.

The quote system doesn't like anybody!  I say the feeling is mutual!

• Like 4

.I will probably watch it tonight with a lot of fast forwarding past Shamy unless Lenny or Howerdette is also in the scene, as usual  

I am honestly just tired of whinny douche Raj, while Sheldon and Amy can be very funny I have just gotten tired of them being the center of attention every week and to me nothing is happening there. Sheldon slept with a girl he has been dating for 5 years.... Yippee! 

I mostly watch now so I am up to date here. I enjoy the forum now more than the show.... Sad but true

Goodnight all :vampire:

P.S. ADA nice batman reference :icon_razz:

Edited by JE7
  • Like 3

I've said enough about the Shamy plot in this episode, so I won't repeat myself more than necessary. I know a thing or two about badass grandmothers which treat their grandsons like children (my beloved granny used to do that with my father) so overall I liked meemaw and I was not that bothered by the fight with Amy. I only wished they could have talked a bit longer without being interrupted when they stated to bond. 

But, seriously, what's wrong with Raj? When I read the TR I understood that there was in fact a "vibe" between him and Claire, so in a way there was some reasons for his behavior in this and in the following episode,  but clearly there wasn't! He still prefers to live in his dreamworld rather than to construct a real relationship with Emily. He is the old Raj, who doesn't know what he wants, that is guided by his own imagination and doesn't care if he is throwing somebody under the bus in order to get his way! But clearly he is not in love with Emily, so even if he did it for the wrong reason it's better that he broke up with her. I really hope the writers find their way with him, that they give him a believable story arc in which he can make up his mind about what he wants in his life. And I hope that this story arc doesn't include any girlfriend until he understands those things...

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

But, seriously, what's wrong with Raj? When I read the TR I understood that there was in fact a "vibe" between him and Claire, so in a way there was some reasons for his behavior in this and in the following episode,  but clearly there wasn't! He still prefers to live in his dreamworld rather than to construct a real relationship with Emily. He is the old Raj, who doesn't know what he wants, that is guided by his own imagination and doesn't care if he is throwing somebody under the bus in order to get his way! But clearly he is not in love with Emily, so even if he did it for the wrong reason it's better that he broke up with her. I really hope the writers find their way with him, that they give him a believable story arc in which he can make up his mind about what he wants in his life. And I hope that this story arc doesn't include any girlfriend until he understands those things...

lol yes, that surprised me actually, because I also didn't get the feeling that they had "a vibe". So I'm just sitting here like "WTF RAJ, get your shit together, man!" I kinda hope he stays single for a bit and does a bit of soul searching trying to figure out his approach to relationships. This will probably be terribly hard since everyone else has already found ~the one~ for them. But this whole idealistic romantic fantasy nonsense really isn't helping and he needs to grow out of that.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I've said enough about the Shamy plot in this episode, so I won't repeat myself more than necessary. I know a thing or two about badass grandmothers which treat their grandsons like children (my beloved granny used to do that with my father) so overall I liked meemaw and I was not that bothered by the fight with Amy. I only wished they could have talked a bit longer without being interrupted when they stated to bond. 

This second part so much. I could have understood this plot if he and Emily had been together for a few weeks and he suddenly realised he's in the situation where two women are interested in him (although I agree, there wasn't much of a vibe... just Raj being Raj) and he actually has to make a choice now instead of "take what he can get", as it were, which is new for him and could make him grow. Actually, they did do that at the beginning of the relationship with Emily and he was much less comfortable with talking to Lucy then, "two-timing", as it were. Instead he just comes over as someone who would crashland a 2-3 year relationship at a moment's notice for nothing but a fantasy. Seriously, he could never even work together with a woman if all it takes is still just them speaking to him to make him fall in love - how could anyone be in a relationship with him? And shouldn't such a long relationship with Emily have made him at least a little bit more secure? He has to know he's attractive to some women now. Anyway, you're totally right, I don't see that he loves Emily, either. He showed very little consideration in this episode.

Edited by A.D.A.
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, April said:

lol yes, that surprised me actually, because I also didn't get the feeling that they had "a vibe". So I'm just sitting here like "WTF RAJ, get your shit together, man!" I kinda hope he stays single for a bit and does a bit of soul searching trying to figure out his approach to relationships. This will probably be terribly hard since everyone else has already found ~the one~ for them. But this whole idealistic romantic fantasy nonsense really isn't helping and he needs to grow out of that.

The thing is Emily was the only one that really liked him. The lesbian woman wanted to get her parents off her back. Deaf Emily wanted his money. Penny was drunk. And finally Lucy was always ditching  and finally dumped him.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The thing is Emily was the only one that really liked him. The lesbian woman wanted to get her parents off her back. Deaf Emily wanted his money. Penny was drunk. And finally Lucy was always ditching  and finally dumped him.

Please take Penny out of this row!  :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 3

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic