[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

It worked no problem, for Chandler and Monica.

Right, but didn't they have to give Rachel the "we still love you. This doesn't change anything. We're still here for you" talk off the (metaphoric) ledge? The couples are reassuring Rachel and Sheldon as much as the writers are reassuring the audience.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, AnnJ said:

I agree.  However, changing a model that has worked for so long would worry me if I were writing for the show.

If that were the case then the writers should have delayed the Lenny wedding and rebuilt the Lenny relationship.  Many people anticipated that and I know I even assumed the 8.24 cliffhanger it was a deliberate stall tactic because the writers wanted Lenny to be the first and final couple with the wedding at the end of season 9 or season 10. However, having Lenny get married, but not living together just across the hall from Sheldon is becoming increasingly difficult to accept and could turn away some viewers.  I am more of a Shamy fan than a Lenny fan, and I am frustrated with the delay in moving in together.  Lenny moving in together was attempted three times unsuccessfully, which gets old and repetitive.  Why couldn't the first attempt to elope be delayed if they truly wanted to keep the same living arrangements, instead of relying on another failed move in attempt?  Instead, Lenny stay in 4A out of sympathy, but months after Shamy reconcile, there is no attempt or evidence of moving out which makes the sympathy excuse suspect at this point.

18 minutes ago, Touche said:

If that were the case then the writers should have delayed the Lenny wedding and rebuilt the Lenny relationship.  Many people anticipated that and I know I even assumed the 8.24 cliffhanger it was a deliberate stall tactic because the writers wanted Lenny to be the first and final couple with the wedding at the end of season 9 or season 10. However, having Lenny get married, but not living together just across the hall from Sheldon is becoming increasingly difficult to accept and could turn away some viewers.  I am more of a Shamy fan than a Lenny fan, and I am frustrated with the delay in moving in together.  Lenny moving in together was attempted three times unsuccessfully, which gets old and repetitive.  Why couldn't the first attempt to elope be delayed if they truly wanted to keep the same living arrangements, instead of relying on another failed move in attempt?  Instead, Lenny stay in 4A out of sympathy, but months after Shamy reconcile, there is no attempt or evidence of moving out which makes the sympathy excuse suspect at this point.

"Why couldn't the first attempt to elope be delayed if they truly wanted to keep the same living arrangements, instead of relying on another failed move in attempt?"

It hints that there is an underlying problem in the Lenny relationship. Thereby, the writers -and viewers - get twice the bang for their tv buck. They get a first, anti-climactic wedding, a storyline option revolving around unresolved relationship issues, and the possibility of a second Lenny, let's do it right this time, wedding.  They are milking the cash cow. They did it with the engagement.   It's a formula, and it works.

20 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I agree. Move Amy in with Sheldon, NOW.

Why would he not want to sleep with her, every night?

Yup. I would love to see it happen, too.  

Perhaps he wants his cake and eat it, too. Lenard is his best friend, really his suragate brother. Perhaps he fears not having enough him in his life everyday. 

1 hour ago, nickelette424 said:

They could have had her interact with the girls and still have her maintain her stance on romantic relationships.  Simply hanging out with the guys didn't change Sheldon's stance on it.  The chose that route for Amy's story, which is fine.  But if they didn't, that's fine too.  I really enjoyed Sheldon and Amy's early relationship.   Those sweet, cute moments came naturally as the storyline evolved.  I am sure there would have been other moments we would have loved between the two that would have naturally evolved out of their close platonic relationship.

I am actually more of an early relationship Shamy fan.  While the growth has been interesting, it was painful to see two characters who used to be so in sync and get one another when they first met, grow at different rates resulting in a breakup.  The way they used to look at each other was so endearing, even when no one else understood their relationship.  It is why I have a hard time seeing Amy "putting up with" or enduring Sheldon like the rest of the group because I was hoping post reconciliation that they would be on the same wavelength again with or without physical intimacy.  The Thanksgiving episode didn't crush me because I was actually looking forward to them restoring their friendship before attempting to reconcile their relationship.  I thought that was the intent of Amy attempting to return without conditions was because she loved Sheldon more than some idealistic romantic fantasy. Also, maybe Sheldon was more open to expressing himself once there was no pressure to be intimate (hence Earworm and Opening Night).  However, they don't have to be a "normal" couple for me to like them since "normal" is not what attracted me to their relationship in the first place.  I hope they can stay on a similar trajectory, and communicate more openly and honestly, and asking for clarification, rather than bottling up emotions or overreacting. The Sales Call and Empathy Optimization episodes seem to demonstrate improving their communication with one another, and some might argue the Mee-Maw episode did that too, but it was harder for me to detect, nor do I expect them to not hit road bumps along the way.  The future episodes look promising, but I am much more cautious and reticent now.

Edited by Touche

Since this doesn't refer to Carlos, I hope I can post it now...

With all due respect, I think that it is pretty obvious, by now, to anyone who has done any research, that Sheldon is demisexual. He always has been. He doesn't have to be gay or even asexual in order to not be attracted to Penny.  And since Jim Parsons is homosexual, I find such assumptions about Sheldon's character pretty rude and unnecessary, maybe originating from nothing more than having troubles separating the character from the role or taking a dig at Shamy, especially because I haven't seen such comments (on this forum) about any other character/couple other than Sheldon/Shamy, hardly even Raj. Something feels off about that. By that logic, did the writers make Leonard fall for Penny to eliminate the possiblity of him being homosexual? After all, it
was obvious, from the beginning, that he had been living with Sheldon for years, and they were shown together at the semen bank in the very first scene...

Would (some) Lenny shippers feel more comfortable if there was a possiblity of Sheldon being (or having been) attracted to Penny at some point? Are some posters saying that any straight guy must be attracted to Penny?

Amy isn't ugly. But her relationship with Sheldon is the one of the mind and about the inner beauty. That has always been the main basis. That doesn't mean that there aren't (or can't be) more components to it. Heck, all those components, even sex, are related to "the relationship of the mind" one way or another.

And yes, Sheldon is not good enough for Penny, but neither is she for Sheldon, due to standards and preferences that they both have. Why such claims bother somebody that much? I'm confused. Nobody is perfect.

I won't even comment much on the whole avatar discussion, but not having something "revealing" for it makes, for me, the impression that the poster can see all the components to the relationship clearly and discuss sex in a mature and broad way. Just my feelings. I may be wrong, and I'm not meaning to offend, but if somebody says that comparing (such) two avatars will answer you everything... thank you, it has.
6 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Actually without Leonard there would be no Amy since Raj/Howard, who were originally Leonard's friends, found her on the dating website for Sheldon.

Technically, without Sheldon there would be no Shamy.

Leonard moved in after responding to an aid posted by Sheldon. He befriended Howard and Raj and introduced them to Sheldon. The two of them eventually had the idea of pairing SHELDON up with somebody, so he would end up behaving better. And so came Amy (no pun intended).

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

At this point, I wouldn't even mind seeing Raj move in with Sheldon so that Lenny can move in together.  Sheldon actually liked Raj as a roommate in an earlier season and perhaps it might give Sheldon an incentive to visit Amy's apartment more if Raj did become difficult to live with.  If Cinnamon is an issue, maybe Emily grew attached to the dog and kept it despite the impending breakup with Raj.  Ok that might get messy or awkward, but it just seems that there are so many unexplored possibilities that could achieve the same intent of delaying Sheldon and Amy moving in together, but allowing Lenny to be a married couple with their own place.  Amy keeping her apartment could also lead to potential intimate moments that Sheldon might still not be comfortable having in his apartment because it is such a communal area as evidenced when the group walked in on Leonard dancing for Penny during the Thanksgiving episode.  At this point though, it seems harder to come up with excuses to keep the same living arrangements, rather than actually trying alternative living arrangements.  

Also, I might even buy that Lenny tries to move in, but has too much stuff and is struggling to decide what to keep and what to part ways with.  Maybe Leonard holds multiple auctions for Howard, Raj, and Sheldon to buy some of his toys.  In addition, if Leonard and Penny get into a fight and Penny wants to put Leonard in the "doghouse", Leonard is forced to sleep over at Sheldon's apartment, rather than on the couch in 4B.  Consequently, Sheldon tries to find opportunities to increase discord intentionally, rather than his supposed unintentional attempts right now that still cause discord in Lenny's relationship.  Again I am a Sheldon and Shamy fan, but I am just saying that even these scenarios would be more plausible for Leonard to go back and forth between apartments, but keeps Penny in her apartment.

Finally, if all else fails, just put a dining room table near the elevator (yes I know it is a safety hazard, but that is how ridiculous the delayed move out is) and the communal scenes are in the hallway while the apartments are private.

Edited by Touche

9 hours ago, hazelra7 said:

Their time however, the Lenny Empire that was the TBBT in the early seasons,  over which the sun has largely set. 

That's it your off the Christmas card list :(

Edited by JE7

50 minutes ago, JE7 said:

That's it your off the Christmas card liat

To continue the metaphor, you don't blame the earth for the eclipse, dude. You blame the Moon. The writers have been mooning Lennys for over 2 seasons now. and have put Lenny in the umbra of the Sheldon, the favorite Sun. (Sorry, had to continue my metaphor)

Maybe we can get some Lenny back, but its seems its Sheldon's time. I think you'll agree, or you would not have "no Sheldon" on your avatar; (to continue 'the avatar explains all theory' that seems popular these days.)

With Bev Hofstadter coming, maybe we can get some Lenny for 200th?  But NOTHING like we had in season 1-3.  That was Lenny's golden age.  I say this from a position of empathy, not from glee. I can ship Shamy and still have empathy for other ships.  I'm not Sheldon, for god sake! Empathy is in my wheel house.

PS I really like Christmas cards. 

Edited by hazelra7

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

That would be me :icon_razz:

Just because you find her attractive dosent an everyone we all have a type Amy is yours others prefer Penny, Bernadette or Emily not wrong or better just diffrent

I was just kidding cuz :icon_razz:

And the no Sheldon is a Shamy poster attitude  protest, a compromise since apparently PeeWee Herman is offensive

Edited by JE7

23 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Just because you find her attractive doesn't mean everyone will.

I was talking about Sheldon, not me.

He's told her numerous times, that he loves her, and declared that he enjoyed the sex "more than I thought I would" (which, in Sheldon talk, means "OMG!!, that was awesome."), so why wouldn't he want to sleep in the same bed with her, every night?

1 hour ago, Mislav said:

Since this doesn't refer to Carlos, I hope I can post it now...

With all due respect, I think that it is pretty obvious, by now, to anyone who has done any research, that Sheldon is demisexual. He always has been. He doesn't have to be gay or even asexual in order to not be attracted to Penny.  And since Jim Parsons is homosexual, I find such assumptions about Sheldon's character pretty rude and unnecessary, maybe originating from nothing more than having troubles separating the character from the role or taking a dig at Shamy, especially because I haven't seen such comments (on this forum) about any other character/couple other than Sheldon/Shamy, hardly even Raj. Something feels off about that. By that logic, did the writers make Leonard fall for Penny to eliminate the possiblity of him being homosexual? After all, it
was obvious, from the beginning, that he had been living with Sheldon for years, and they were shown together at the semen bank in the very first scene...

Would (some) Lenny shippers feel more comfortable if there was a possiblity of Sheldon being (or having been) attracted to Penny at some point? Are some posters saying that any straight guy must be attracted to Penny?

Amy isn't ugly. But her relationship with Sheldon is the one of the mind and about the inner beauty. That has always been the main basis. That doesn't mean that there aren't (or can't be) more components to it. Heck, all those components, even sex, are related to "the relationship of the mind" one way or another.

And yes, Sheldon is not good enough for Penny, but neither is she for Sheldon, due to standards and preferences that they both have. Why such claims bother somebody that much? I'm confused. Nobody is perfect.

I won't even comment much on the whole avatar discussion, but not having something "revealing" for it makes, for me, the impression that the poster can see all the components to the relationship clearly and discuss sex in a mature and broad way. Just my feelings. I may be wrong, and I'm not meaning to offend, but if somebody says that comparing (such) two avatars will answer you everything... thank you, it has.

Technically, without Sheldon there would be no Shamy.

Leonard moved in after responding to an aid posted by Sheldon. He befriended Howard and Raj and introduced them to Sheldon. The two of them eventually had the idea of pairing SHELDON up with somebody, so he would end up behaving better. And so came Amy (no pun intended).

Sheldon's sexual orientation was unknown the first three seasons. Anyone's guess back then couldn't be proven or not proven.. Jim Parsons bring gay wasn't known the first three seasons. I agree, while others may not, that it doesn't prove Sheldon is gay because he's not attracted to her. As to the avatar comment that was said because a poster called Penny dumb. I didn't see you refute that. Penny certainly academic wise is not as smart as the rest but in other ways ( common sense) is certainly smarter than most of the rest, especially Sheldon. Amy, while not ugly, is certainly not as attractive as Penny,or Bernie and the recently departed Emily,for that matter. TBBT is still a TV show watched by millions so people are going to make comments on that.

i agree with you with no Sheldon there would be no Shamy. The only things to be true is Penny living across the hall and Leonard, most likely, knowing Howard and Raj. Although Amy had the Christmas fantasy of Sheldon and Penny in the laundry room odds are they would never ever talked to each other.

23 minutes ago, hazelra7 said:

I think I am missing something here.  I want in on the joke.  Shamy poster?  Like a person who posts? Or a poster, like Farrah Faucet in Shawshank Redemption?

As in a person who posts, Iong story I don't think you were here for that kerfuffle lol

18 minutes ago, Mislav said:

You can't let it go JE7, can you.

No

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

That's a matter of opinion.

As the saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

That's true. But isn't that true for almost all the posts on here. But if you took a poll (not on here) what would the numbers show?

Well he never had sex. Diddnt like Penny. If Penny moved across from me I would jump her lol. Maybe assexual or dimisexual. Had no interest in relationships. Accidentally hit on a guy in the caf at Cal Tech. So you know before Amy. Who knows. In s2 Penny asked what's his deal? They had alot of theories. But mostly he had none. Before Amy. So they could of gone either way.

Yeah, but it was Penny!  Why would he like her and suddenly be interested in sex for no other reason than the serendipity of location? Please...  Blond, not too bright, fake boobs, wannbe actress? I mean... a dime a dozen out in LA so any number of "Penny's" could have turned his head.  NONE did.  You can't throw a dead cat around LA without hitting that kind of eye candy.  Leonard hit that, so I think that says it all.  

And he didn't hit on a guy in the Cal Tech Cafeteria.  I think if Jim Parsons wasnt gay, this argument would be moot.

Before Amy, there was no other way.  It wasn't like her way wasn't an uphill battle to boot. 

Are you just assuming that's what it is like in LA or have you been here and scene this because I've lived LA for 90% of my life and I haven't but if you have please tell where

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Well he never had sex. Diddnt like Penny. If Penny moved across from me I would jump her lol. Maybe assexual or dimisexual. Had no interest in relationships. Accidentally hit on a guy in the caf at Cal Tech. So you know before Amy. Who knows. In s2 Penny asked what's his deal? They had alot of theories. But mostly he had none. Before Amy. So they could of gone either way.

Yeah, but it was Penny!  Why would he like her and suddenly be interested in sex for no other reason than the serendipity of location? Please...  Blond, not too bright, fake boobs, wannbe actress? I mean... a dime a dozen out in LA so any number of "Penny's" could have turned his head.  NONE did.  You can't throw a dead cat around LA without hitting that kind of eye candy.  Leonard hit that, so I think that says it all.  

And he didn't hit on a guy in the Cal Tech Cafeteria.  I think if Jim Parsons wasnt gay, this argument would be moot.

Before Amy, there was no other way.  It wasn't like her way wasn't an uphill battle to boot. 

Are you just assuming that's what it is like in LA or have you been here and scene this because I've lived in LA for 90% of my life and I haven't but if you have please tell where

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I agree your statement that he has not chained himself to them, even though he sulked, pouted and coerced  them to adhere to a sleeping roster and geography that suited him. I forget the episode but you might recall it because Sheldon was there. They are unnaturally tied to him, because that's the formula.

Where my belief lags is not what Sheldon does - because he is the disruptor - but how they suck it up and how they suborn their needs to him. It's become undignified and contrived, in my opinion. The  goodwill I have from the L/P story has been almost exhausted. 

You are also correct that they have made L/P uncomfortably antagonistic. I can understand that tension, because they need that conflict for humour. Where the formula fails me is that Penny often leans on Sheldon and disregards Leonard. It may be funny, but it undermines Leonard - who is her husband. And they both suck it up. It's like they have no self-respect at times.

The triad works for many,  But if one can't abide Sheldon and his "most favoured" status, then what's left in the show? If I hadn't been so caught up it'd be fine. If they weren't straining to keep the money pump running it'd be fine too, because it'd be over. But after so much un-marathoned viewing, I can now not bear to watch and see the same nonsense again and again. She married Leonard for goodness sake. Why they tolerate Sheldon now escapes me. I am hanging out for the end, because for me, it looks like L/P can't have what I'd (presumptively)  call a 'regular' marriage until it's over. And what goes on now hurts me to watch.

This. Sooo much.

3 hours ago, AnnJ said:

"Why couldn't the first attempt to elope be delayed if they truly wanted to keep the same living arrangements, instead of relying on another failed move in attempt?"

It hints that there is an underlying problem in the Lenny relationship. Thereby, the writers -and viewers - get twice the bang for their tv buck. They get a first, anti-climactic wedding, a storyline option revolving around unresolved relationship issues, and the possibility of a second Lenny, let's do it right this time, wedding.  They are milking the cash cow. They did it with the engagement.   It's a formula, and it works.

Yup. I would love to see it happen, too.  

Perhaps he wants his cake and eat it, too. Lenard is his best friend, really his suragate brother. Perhaps he fears not having enough him in his life everyday. 

Trouble is I think it was Molaro said there would be no second Lenny wedding.  I can't remember the actual interview and am having trouble finding it too. However, that interview was before the Sales Call episode, so maybe it is a diversion tactic to lower expectations and then surprise viewers with a renewal or second wedding.    

However, that back and forth shock value was beyond tedious and annoying with the Shamy breakup and quickie reconciliation and birthday present (that were still spoiled in previews), but i guess to your point since the formula worked so well to drive ratings and the cash cow, that the popular adage, "what you permit, you promote" applies.  So, I just keep trying to endure the filler episodes in between the shock value ones and cross my fingers that hopefully someone knows where this is ultimately heading.

3 minutes ago, Touche said:

Trouble is I think it was Molaro said there would be no second Lenny wedding.  I can't remember the actual interview and am having trouble finding it too. However, that interview was before the Sales Call episode, so maybe it is a diversion tactic to lower expectations and then surprise viewers with a renewal or second wedding.    

I think he said they've talked about it but there are no current plans. He didn't rule it out completely IIRC, though. Here's hoping.