[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

56 minutes ago, Judith said:

I don't mind the occasional group episode. But since I'm a Shamy fan if there isn't somr Shamy thrown in or if it's not a very fun episode I get bored...

Normally I don't care for sitcoms...but I stumbled on this show and it was funny at first...nowadays not so much. Noe w I only keep watching for Shamy.

I guess if you were a Lenny fan you would of stopped watching by now. That's why the ones that are left are so bored.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know you are all thirsty for spoilers, But hear me out first. Ok so I didn't post or let on I was going for a number of reasons. Number ,1 I have an incredible amount of personal issues including he

Ok...I'm posting this for a friend who was there last night.  Please note, I wasn't there directly but I do understand the importance to the community of providing information so please be appreciativ

Hello!!   So I decided to do a taping report for yesterday’s episode, “The Bachelor Party Corrosion”, I know there have been some issues with the material in previous episodes but please have faith in

Posted Images

3 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

....and a hilarious thought just crossed my mind:  Sheldon and Amy golfing (not miniature golf--full on big boy/girl golf!) #teetimeforShamy ! (it will get them out and will leave 4A and 4B free for Penny & Leonard!!  What will they do?)

That is actually a great idea, the girls pressure them to get out and exercise so they decide to take up golf.  The play for a few weeks, then the girls come out to try and beat their asses.  It would be funny plus we would all get to see our favorite character in golf shorts, my vote is Penny in short shorts.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SRAM said:

That is actually a great idea, the girls pressure them to get out and exercise so they decide to take up golf.  The play for a few weeks, then the girls come out to try and beat their asses.  It would be funny plus we would all get to see our favorite character in golf shorts, my vote is Penny in short shorts.

I sympathise, but don't golf courses have fairly strict dress codes? I actually think penny would look very nice in an uber-preppy golfing getup. Bernie would of course be super competitive and amy would be hopeless anywhere except on the green, where her aim would come in handy while putting. I would like it if Leonard is somehow really skilled at getting out of bunkers. I don't know why, that would just be funny to me if they are fantastic in very specific settings and naff-all else use otherwise.

also my vote is for Sheldon going all out in plus-fours and the hat. Surely he misses his plaid suit? Well, step this way, doctor cooper. Howard would be in the gaudiest, tightest, circulation-restrictingest attire that you ever did see. And Raj already dresses like a middle-aged Scottish golfer anyway....

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, SRAM said:

She's already got that nice outfit from last night.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

I think the majority of us do.  In group episodes, it is good to have a little intereaction/acknowledgment between the couples.....thoughts anyone??

Personally I like group episodes a little more than the couple's ones. The show is an ensemble piece, not the Lenny, Shamy, or Howardette show, and the ships didn't occur until later. This group of characters collectively have a good vibe together and some of their best stuff IMO is when they are doing things together. Even the small simplistic things, like a group meal or a scavenger hunt, make for funny and interesting moments. I miss them frankly...

That being said, I do like that the show grew it's cast and developed the characters to where we have the couples. It made for some deeper and more thoughtful plots that we might otherwise never have seen. The show is still a sitcom and I hope it never loses that flavor (9 episodes of Shamy breakup this season tested the limits for me). 

I think the show does a decent job of showing the couples acting "naturally" when together. They have their cute moments, like when Bernie is playing an online game with the guys and only heals Howard's character, but don't overdo the hand-holding and cow eyes. I know a lot of us Shamy shippers would like to see a little more of it with our couple (the prolonged breakup still has a few of us wanting to see a changed couple after reconciliation to assure us of never repeating the breakup), but all in all I think TBBT does it right. I agree with mirs' comment about the writers throwing out a180 now and then for fun--not a fan of that. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but when it does yuck...

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I sympathise, but don't golf courses have fairly strict dress codes? I actually think penny would look very nice in an uber-preppy golfing getup. Bernie would of course be super competitive and amy would be hopeless anywhere except on the green, where her aim would come in handy while putting. I would like it if Leonard is somehow really skilled at getting out of bunkers. I don't know why, that would just be funny to me if they are fantastic in very specific settings and naff-all else use otherwise.

also my vote is for Sheldon going all out in plus-fours and the hat. Surely he misses his plaid suit? Well, step this way, doctor cooper. Howard would be in the gaudiest, tightest, circulation-restrictingest attire that you ever did see. And Raj already dresses like a middle-aged Scottish golfer anyway....

Sadly, most public golf courses in Cali are very casual. Guys are in cargo shorts and maybe a polo shirt if you're lucky. Private courses are a different matter, but I doubt our gang would be golfing on one. I agree, if Sheldon were to golf he would go all out with his choice of outfits knowing his love for adherence to convention. I'm betting Howard would too (remember the fishing outfit he wore bahahaha)...Amy in a long plaid skirt, argyle socks, and a v-neck sweater in a sweltering heat....

11 minutes ago, 4everlenny said:

Laura is such a great IG follow. Seems so grounded and appreciative.

I so hope the show keeps her and finds a way of working things out with Emily and Raj.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

My other half loves the show but couldn't give a damn what happens to either of the ships. You can relate to the relationship stuff on the show without being a shipper. The OH says that the show will stay on the 'to watch list' for as long as it is funny :)

The reason there are a high number of posts in the Shamy thread compared to here is cus shippers are usually the 'dedicated' branch of any fandom lol!  

Based on that logic. The Lenny thread would have over a mill views too. Based on dedication. You still have regulars posting. Difference in views I think more casuals visit. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Judith said:

I think it's because there's not much Shamy these days...At least that's my impression.

Really? I can't say I agree with that assessment, but .... to each their own....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Really? I can't say I agree with that assessment, but .... to each their own....

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

There has been a lot of Sheldon that dosent allway translate to a lot of Shamy 

Ugh, Raj. No, show. No. I don't have a problem with Raj being a gaping chasm of self-deception and need, so long as you address these faults instead of presenting them as charming. raj is not a lovable loser who only needs the care of a good woman, show. Raj is a toxic, delusional brat who needs someone- anyone- to take him aside and tear him a new orifice. It's bad enough that the show leaned so hard into the stereotype of South Asian men being so crippled around women. It's bad enough that Raj's first long-term relationship was conducted mostly off-screen. But when all that is left of Raj is a trainwreck, don't ask me to take an interest in his romantic dilemmas, or the women who would consent to be anywhere near him. Not unless you are presenting it as some sort of grim cautionary tale. Which you are not.

But how charming were the other guys in this episode? So delightful. Every opportunity for mean-spirited bickering and petty strife was briskly side-stepped, and even the bickering was in good humour. And- as someone who has said 'You get HOW MUCH as 'overhead' from my research grant money?!?' to my university in my time- I sympathise (though surely Sheldon and Leonard would have had some idea of how much of a cut the university gets? Whatever, patents are different). I went 'Awwwww' about Sheldon's trust fund for the Howardette baby, but let me have a think about whether that was too saccharine. Whatever, the guys were delightful.

The 'you are going to be making out so hard tonight' line, though. Eesh. Show, be careful. I've ranted at length about this in the Shamy thread, but this is problematic. I really don't like the implication that Amy is going to be the incidental beneficiary of a contract contact high from Sheldon. It would be fine if the show had displayed Sheldon seeming moved or shaken by sex with Amy of his own volition, but they haven't. The show, to a large extent, has treated sex as a thing to be checked off on a list, and the occasion for some new jokes (mostly of the 'hey, gang, Sheldon could worry about knocking Amy up now!' variety) and some old ones (Amy drops hints, Sheldon is oblivious). But I don't like this dynamic they are resetting to where there is such a clear disparity in desire between the partners- and that disparity is the source of humour. Ugh.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 7

Tbh thats always been the dynamic between Shamy. Re Sheldon oblivious to Amys desires what not. Might be in minority. But looks like Sheldon sees sex as just a certain subset of his world now. It has not shaken him to his core. And the show now hv some new jokes.

5 hours ago, Carlos said:

Not much Shamy these dAys LOL. That's like saying Donald Trump is quiet. More like theirs NOT much shamy.these days. More like no Lenny these days 

3 hours ago, JE7 said:

There has been a lot of Sheldon that dosent allway translate to a lot of Shamy 

Sorry a blind man can see theirs been a ton of Shamy lol. I mean wow really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

Ugh, Raj. No, show. No. I don't have a problem with Raj being a gaping chasm of self-deception and need, so long as you address these faults instead of presenting them as charming. raj is not a lovable loser who only needs the care of a good woman, show. Raj is a toxic, delusional brat who needs someone- anyone- has to take Raj aside and tear him a new orifice. It's bad enough that the show leaned so hard into the stereotype of South Asian men being so crippled around women. It's bad enough that Raj's first long-term relationship was conducted mostly off-screen. But when all that is left of Raj is a trainwreck, don't ask me to take an interest in his romantic dilemmas, or the women who would consent to be anywhere near him. Not unless you are presenting it as some sort of grim cautionary tale. Which you are not.

But how charming were the other guys in this episode? So delightful. Every opportunity for mean-spirited bickering and petty strife was briskly side-stepped, and even the bickering was in good humour. And- as someone who has said 'You get HOW MUCH as 'overhead' from my research grant money?!?' to my university in my time- I sympathise (though surely Sheldon and Leonard would have had some idea of how much of a cut the university gets? Whatever, patents are different). I went 'Awwwww' about Sheldon's trust fund for the Howardette baby, but let me have a think about whether that was too saccharine. Whatever, the guys were delightful.

The 'you are going to be making out so hard tonight' line, though. Eesh. Show, be careful. I've ranted at length about this in the Shamy thread, but this is problematic. I really don't like the implication that Amy is going to be the incidental beneficiary of a contract contact high from Sheldon. It would be fine if the show had displayed Sheldon seeming moved or shaken by sex with Amy of his own volition, but they haven't. The show, to a large extent, has treated sex as a thing to be checked off on a list, and the occasion for some new jokes (mostly of the 'hey, gang, Sheldon could worry about knocking Amy up now!' variety) and some old ones (Amy drops hints, Sheldon is oblivious). But I don't like this dynamic they are resetting to where there is such a clear disparity in desire between the partners- and that disparity is the source of humour. Ugh.

I really don't understand what they are doing with Raj. At the beginning of the season it was hinted that his troubles with Emily would have been a source of growth for the character and that he was going to learn that it's better to be alone than in a wrong relationship. But the season is almost gone, there are four episodes left and I don't see any of that. Until almost the Valentine episode there was no clue whatsoever that he was unhappy in the relationship, no reference to his doubts in Season 8 finale, the writers even turned some of the things that troubled Raj about Emily down. Anyway, we saw very seldom the two of them together on screen, so it's not easy to judge. And, suddenly, Raj meets a girl and dumps Emily, who seems angry about it, but not really devastated. And now, after some other episodes with no mention to the state of Raj's mind, we get this strange plot. Emily crying on the phone, the girls mocking her, Claire hitting on Raj, Raj sleeping with Emily...Where is it going? Will he date both girls? It seems likely, given the spoilers in Kunal's last interview. How is that growth for the character? Will he come back to Emily even if it is so clear he doesn't love her? The problem is that, with so few episodes left, I guess wherever they are going, it will be done so quickly that I'm not sure I will like it.

As for the Shamy part of your post, I found the line funny TBH. Anyway, I would have cringed a little if Amy would have acted differently to it. She was kind of puzzled by Penny remark, as if she thought it a little out of line. Had she been excited or happy about it, well...I agree that there would have been a problem. 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 5

Penny's alwAys made references to like oh your choosing to date Sheldon. It seems to bemuse her. Any way they use those jokes with other couples. Like Penny's pregnancy tests etc. So Shamy aren't off limits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luminous said:

Regarding Penny's "you are going to be making out so hard tonight" line.

Could be teasing or sarcasm. Sometimes you never know with her. :icon_wink:

Hmm.she Always seems to be making those disingenuous comments towards Shamy lol. I think she was teasing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Sorry a blind man can see theirs been a ton of Shamy lol. I mean wow really. 

If you consider Amy reacting to Sheldon then yeah sure 

It appeared to me Claire's and Emily's parts were pre taped. I 'm not sure Laura has been there since the bus trip episode. Her instagram lately have suggested in regards To TBBT suggests she's history. I think the actress playing Claire was only their once live. I think she's history too.

Edited by Chrismo

I didn't mind Penny's joke, I did wonder though about Amy's reaction. She seemed confused? I feel like there's another shoe to drop and until then I'm not going to make any assumptions.

I just don't want after all the previous fuss to go back to "Amy wants it, Sheldon resists/whatever else". WTF? It's annoying because if we're not clear on what is going on with them after they slept together (and I think we should because it was such a big deal for them) some jokes are going to confuse people and won't come off very well.

What I meant was I see Shamy being in the background in these past few episodes and I'd prefer them front and center. Nothing new is happening (except for the next TR). There are things that we get that are very good but I'd rather have an A plot for them. I KNOW what some people are going to say, I'm just talking about what I want out of the show.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I'm not so sure about Laura being history just yet.  Last night her name appeared in the opening credits, so as of last night she is still considered some sort of regular---sort of like Kevin Sussman.....I think we will continue to see her (my opinion only....).

"What I meant was I see Shamy being in the background in these past few episodes and I'd prefer them front and center. Nothing new is happening (except for the next TR). There are things that we get that are very good but I'd rather have an A plot for them. I KNOW what some people are going to say, I'm just talking about what I want out of the show. "

Sorry Judith, but I am of the opposite opinion.  After most of the season being taken up with the Sheldon/Amy plot line being front and center (even if the characters together were not), I am ready for them to be in the background for the remainder.  A little more of Howard and Bernadette and their pending parenthood (which, to me they are handling just right--as of now) and of course more of the Penny/Leonard story.....

People want different things, that's ok. I like Howard and Bernadette, they're very charming together when they're all flirty...And Lenny should be more in the front., they've been neglected long enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Judith said:

What I meant was I see Shamy being in the background in these past few episodes and I'd prefer them front and center. Nothing new is happening (except for the next TR). There are things that we get that are very good but I'd rather have an A plot for them. I KNOW what some people are going to say, I'm just talking about what I want out of the show.

Well, regarding couples in the background, I just wished the writers would grant the Lenny shippers at least one angst and/or drama-free episode for the remainder of this season, with Lenny front and center. A nice Lenny A-plot without interference by say Sheldon or sharing by other characters or couples.

• Like 8

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic