Jump to content

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

They're both scared of growin'up though or having a "normal" relationship with their long time partners. I don't think they're suited for the roles that Amy and Leonard have casted upon them without altering their personality too much.

I am not sure I agree with this.  First off Leonard has been on the show since the pilot and it was always intended that Leonard and Penny would be the couple.  Penny was quite a different personality in the first five seasons and she went through a personality change in S6 and beyond.  Same with Sheldon.  So they can be altered and changed since the writers have taken them through a journey before.   Likewise Amy has been on since the end of S3 and she and Sheldon were both adolescents in development.  

Both Sheldon and Amy have grown together in many ways toward adult-hood although she a bit faster in some areas than him.  But she still shows signs of her inexperience shining through as well.   But that does not mean that they have to alter the essence of who they are.  They both still can be geniuses and have their superior overlord mentalities...which is who both were in early seasons.  But they both can grow up and become a loving couple as well and use the comedy through their experimentation and situations like they did in earlier seasons.  

Same with Leonard and Penny...they were much more loving in earlier seasons than they have been in more recent ones.   They may be harder to get there though because honestly I have never understood what makes them tick as a couple.   But somehow they can make it work and still have Penny be the shopaholic, the free-spirit that she is without having to diss Leonard week after week.   She can grow up and mature into a loving wife to him and still get into her "Lucille Ball" like messes to bring comedy back.   

I think they can still be who they are as people, but not keep them stifled and stunted, just change the comedy to lean toward situation again instead of all about relationship.   When it is focused on relationship it becomes mean and ends up with the mess we have now.   

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know you are all thirsty for spoilers, But hear me out first. Ok so I didn't post or let on I was going for a number of reasons. Number ,1 I have an incredible amount of personal issues including he

Ok...I'm posting this for a friend who was there last night.  Please note, I wasn't there directly but I do understand the importance to the community of providing information so please be appreciativ

Hello!!   So I decided to do a taping report for yesterday’s episode, “The Bachelor Party Corrosion”, I know there have been some issues with the material in previous episodes but please have faith in

Posted Images

I so agree about the summer of the North Sea trip being a turning point in the show.  Before that Lenny were solving their problems and moving forward, but after they have done nothing but slowly regress until now Penny makes about as many sarcastic remarks to Leonard as Sheldon does in putting him down.  

Their marriage reminds me of the night she had the bad date with Zack, so she used him and then told him her spur of the moment love fest was a mistake.  Their marriage was spur of the moment and Penny has already hinted to Dr Gallo a mistake.  I really expect them to separate in the show for a little while.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SRAM said:

I so agree about the summer of the North Sea trip being a turning point in the show.  Before that Lenny were solving their problems and moving forward, but after they have done nothing but slowly regress until now Penny makes about as many sarcastic remarks to Leonard as Sheldon does in putting him down.  

Their marriage reminds me of the night she had the bad date with Zack, so she used him and then told him her spur of the moment love fest was a mistake.  Their marriage was spur of the moment and Penny has already hinted to Dr Gallo a mistake.  I really expect them to separate in the show for a little while.

A little while??? haha..

I hope it is foreveeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Gonna post this quote by Kevin Pollak again cause it's never been more accurate: "Some of the lazy writing you see on TV is this character assassination that makes me insane, where - usually in the comedies - anything for a joke. So it means a character is suddenly an idiot and he's been intelligent until now, but it's funnier if he's stupid in the scene." 

Yes!! Like Sheldon talking about Meemaw having her period earlier this season.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stardustmelody said:

I am not sure I agree with this.  First off Leonard has been on the show since the pilot and it was always intended that Leonard and Penny would be the couple.  Penny was quite a different personality in the first five seasons and she went through a personality change in S6 and beyond.  Same with Sheldon.  So they can be altered and changed since the writers have taken them through a journey before.   Likewise Amy has been on since the end of S3 and she and Sheldon were both adolescents in development.  

Both Sheldon and Amy have grown together in many ways toward adult-hood although she a bit faster in some areas than him.  But she still shows signs of her inexperience shining through as well.   But that does not mean that they have to alter the essence of who they are.  They both still can be geniuses and have their superior overlord mentalities...which is who both were in early seasons.  But they both can grow up and become a loving couple as well and use the comedy through their experimentation and situations like they did in earlier seasons.  

Same with Leonard and Penny...they were much more loving in earlier seasons than they have been in more recent ones.   They may be harder to get there though because honestly I have never understood what makes them tick as a couple.   But somehow they can make it work and still have Penny be the shopaholic, the free-spirit that she is without having to diss Leonard week after week.   She can grow up and mature into a loving wife to him and still get into her "Lucille Ball" like messes to bring comedy back.   

I think they can still be who they are as people, but not keep them stifled and stunted, just change the comedy to lean toward situation again instead of all about relationship.   When it is focused on relationship it becomes mean and ends up with the mess we have now.   

I prefer the early versions of both characters tbh because I think they were more interesting to watch but of course you need to write some developments in 10 years. Anyway imo these 2 couples are never on the same page, or very rarely. That's probably why I don't ship romantic relationships on the show. They're not good writing love.

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, littleknee said:

I agree that this show often relies too much on telling about dynamics rather than showing them, but one good thing that comes out of this episode is that it’s not this weird hinted at undercurrent of unhealthy relationships, it’s stated outright and addressed by the characters. I hope this is leading to a resolution rather than this weird thing that reads like the subconscious of the writers poking through.

Excellent post.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 5Mississippis said:

From what we've been able to cobble together, this episode seems mindboggling and beyond ridiculous...

Our cliffhanger? I hope Leonard leaves both if them in 4A. 

Run, Leonard. Run.

Just this ?........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, littleknee said:

Also, I know that Sheldon/Penny is a touchy subject, hence the general uncomfortable-ness with this episode, but to me, Amy being a little insecure about her relationship with Sheldon in comparison to his relationship with others, is not really new. And it’s not just with Penny, it’s with Leonard too. There’s the season 7 fortune teller episode, the season 8 opener when she is frustrated that Sheldon called Leonard to pick him up instead of her, and the recent b-day party episode where she squabbles with Leonard over who knows Sheldon best. It’s something the writers have played with before that needs some addressing by Amy and Sheldon directly. Perhaps that’s where this is headed.

From the past experience, most of the time they just point out the problems and do nothing about it. Why point the problems out at all in the first place if they don't plan on resolving them? That'll just make people to question the relationships between the couples.

They does similar things with Lenny. Like in 9x12, Penny's talk with the psychologist was pretty disturbing IMO. But it went nowhere...Amy has been feeling insecure for two years and the writers did nothing to improve the situation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

From the past experience, most of the time they just point out the problems and do nothing about it. Why point the problems out at all in the first place if they don't plan on resolving them? That'll just make people to question the relationships between the couples.

They does similar things with Lenny. Like in 9x12, Penny's talk with the psychologist was pretty disturbing IMO. But it went nowhere...Amy has been feeling insecure for two years and the writers did nothing to improve the situation.

That's a fair point! Maybe with 1-2 seasons left, they'll be forced to deal with the relationship rumblings they've dropped hints at and then frustratingly ignored for so long.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wowbagger said:

firstly: Thanks to brilliantfool! I hope you had a smashing time!

now, on to the episode.

well, I am LOVING this great slobbery 'saisons Sept et huit, je t'aime', aren't you all?

Amy is jealous of Sheldon and Penny's Magical Speshul Bond? Oh, yes, of course. That festering jealousy that has only ever made an appearance in one episode of Season Seven, and never again-until, apparently, now. Sure, sure.

Amy manipulates Sheldon? Why hello there, table episode. Oh, how I loved you. How very much I adored your healthy, sweet natured, egalitarian dynamics.

Amy feels herself a martyr in her relationship and is only playing along with things about it that she professed to love? Charming. Yes, yes, show, I get that the 'faking it' is a nod to how foreplay-ish the Relationship Agreement is. It's only charming if we think of it as actual foreplay rather than your delightful trope of women suffering their menfolk's enthusiasms to get what they want. Lovely.

speaking of manipulation: Why, once again, is penny being shoved into a role ordinarily occupied by Amy? It is AMY who (sadly) manipulates Sheldon to get what she wants. Penny's role was to outright bully him. What the hell? And let us not get into the screaming idiocy of penny being the only one to get the hypochondriac, mysophobic Sheldon to take his medicine.

oh, and LEONARD is jealous of the magical speshul bond, now? Literally the ONE area where Leonard was not made to be needy and insecure regarding Penny was penny's relationship with Sheldon. So yes, absolutely, by all means, take that away from him.

but the magical speshul bond is twisted. Oh noes! Not twisted! Not the toothless vague affectionate magical speshul bond!

and just....the less said about Ugh, Raj, the better. Go fuck yourself, Raj.

but anyway, to review: Amy is a jealous, petty, manipulator displaying the borderline-abusive behaviour of wanting to isolate Sheldon from people he cares about. Penny is making deals with her brother/pet with no care for her husband. Leonard is an insecure wimp. Sheldon is a worryingly oblivious naif who is being played by the women in his life (for his own good, you understand). And all is well because of Howard's peanut allergy or something.

golf clap, show. Golf clap.

Lol !! I just want to say your post made me really laugh out loud !! Especially what you said about Sheldon being played by Penny and Amy.

Agree with you about Raj, they need to write him off or demote him to a recurring role; they'll save a lot on cast salary that way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kitlovesjim said:

Oh poor Raj. First everyone hates Emily now Raj. The poor guy with no stable relatonship

Sent from my SPIN2 using Tapatalk

Who couldn't relate to Raj xD

Sent from my SPIN2 using Tapatalk

I can't but then I am not a total douche

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonstar17 said:

Maybe because Leonard has gone out of his way to retify his mistake and proven time and time again his love. And penny what has she done for leonard lately? or since they got married.

#Leonarddeservebetter

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

But if he had told her what happened two years earlier (or not at all) he would have spent his wedding night in 4b and no one may be talking about living arrangements. Leonard may have never left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe because Leonard has gone out of his way to retify his mistake and proven time and time again his love. And penny what has she done for leonard lately? or since they got married.

#Leonarddeservebetter

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

But if he had told her what happened two years earlier (or not at all) he would have spent his wedding night in 4b and no one may be talking about living arrangements. Leonard may have never left.

Sometimes people keep secret because they are scared of losing that special person. How do we know that leonard wanted to tell her but kept bottling it and the longer you leave things the hard it becomes. Penny need to show she is invested like leonard does or walk. Leonard has proved its penny he wants and made a mistake but ppls will never let him forget that.

f334f5251bddbb08d523f2f7228480db.jpg

#leonarddeservesbetter

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Judith said:

One thing is for sure, the remaining episodes of this season will be very interesting...it seems like the ep that will come out of this TR will be too.

I don't know, they may never refer to this episode again, there were episodes were Penny treated Leonard like crap before and they were always forgotten, like when she made a fool of him on Wil Weaton's web show.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.