[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

11 minutes ago, Vittoria Jacoel said:

Guys,I think we must see the episode one screen before and after we can give an opinion!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

You don't understand, if we don't whine about it now, we won't has as much to say.

• Like 3

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know you are all thirsty for spoilers, But hear me out first. Ok so I didn't post or let on I was going for a number of reasons. Number ,1 I have an incredible amount of personal issues including he

Ok...I'm posting this for a friend who was there last night.  Please note, I wasn't there directly but I do understand the importance to the community of providing information so please be appreciativ

Hello!!   So I decided to do a taping report for yesterday’s episode, “The Bachelor Party Corrosion”, I know there have been some issues with the material in previous episodes but please have faith in

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Vittoria Jacoel said:

Guys,I think we must see the episode one screen before and after we can give an opinion!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I'm usually of that mind.  This time though, it was as if the scales have been so uneven for so long, they just full on tipped the other way with a big, big crash (or a BANG!).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, brilliantfool said:

Cause he didn't wanna go to RA meeting!

she tried to convince him a few times, but he still didn't wanna go. 

15 hours ago, Tensor said:

Because the writers wrote it that way.  We don't have the dialogue from the show, so we have no idea what exactly was said.  You may get your answer once we see the dialogue.  

I got the answer from brilliantfool...

looks like the reason for Penny being pissed at Leonard was just that leonard did not want to go the RA meeting.....

wow.... what a change in Penny........... I mean I know that she loves and supports Sheldon more than Leonard........but since when does someone like Penny like RA meeting's so much .. that she would get mad at her own husband when he rejects to go one....

its like complete opposite of earlier Penny........ (and was'nt she complaninig about some kind of toilet paper fine few episodes earlier.....I guess she just wanted to support Sheldon over Leonard )..........lol

Leonard has to be the most pathetically treated character on the show ...... lol 

1 hour ago, Strawberry PopTart Fan said:

For this Loyal Lenny , the TR feels like

Picture of straw broke camel back-hurt so much.png

LOL! Strawberry! 

Although I completely agree with the sentiment -- what is it? A camel?

I think it's safe to say that luminous is secure in his position as our official Lenny artist!

Edited by 5Mississippis
  • Like 2

I kinda liked Leonard and appreciate Penny's character and after reading the comments and reactions here, I guess I wanted to hate Penny as well. So I'm also manipulated? Hayy.. If you think every episode is worst than the previous, it is your choice. But maybe everyone has a point.

I just need to agree.

Let's just enjoy TBBT.. Sometimes, we fans, also put the show on a bad taste.. Long live and prosper, fandom. Let us not hate each other, the characters, and the writers. :) everything is gonna be alright.

Sent from my SPIN2 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, koops said:

haven’t been around here at all for the past 3 or so months and I wasn’t sure whether to even bother giving my 2c (ok, who am I kidding, more like 50$ - I just can’t help myself but to write essays :p ), but I felt writing this down was somewhat liberating so I thought… what the hell. This is like, 4 months worth of frustration so it's long, beware!

I am incredibly disappointed with the show this year (ever since the S8 finale, really), mainly because major events have had no real impact on anything nor anyone. And not just any new major events, but the two major milestones that this show had built towards for the whole of its run: Leonard and Penny getting married and Sheldon and Amy consummating their relationship. One would expect that after all that waiting and all that build up, these events would come to mean something for the story. I’m not saying throw the show upside-down immediately, or even be pushed forward constantly in every single episode, but, to me, a milestone is a milestone by definition because things take a turn in a new direction after that. If things don’t take a turn after a milestone, then it’s not a milestone. And if things didn’t take a turn after Lenny’s wedding and Shamy’s consummation, it means they were no milestones and so… what exactly have you been building up to all these years??? 

Lenny have been married nearly a year now and we are still mulling over the same damn issues they mulled over (and more or less resolved), 15 times before: insecurities, money, going behind each other’s back, Penny-is-an-actress-but-then-she-isn’t-but-then-she-would-like-to-be-but-what-would-Leonard-want? Sheldon and Amy have consummated their relationship 4 months ago and other than Amy repeatedly bragging about it, it’s like it never happened. Literally the only way we know Lenny are husband and wife and Shamy are no longer virgins is because the characters regularly inform us that these events have happened. In case you forgot. Which I wouldn’t blame you for because, in practice, if you remove those lines, you can’t even tell what season we are in. 

You would think that showrunners want to keep things fresh and always find new stories to write just to keep the show going. And both these storylines inherently come with a myriad of possible developments to do just that, and, bonus, not even just as standalone plotlines but, because of how closely entertwined Shamy and Lenny are with one another, the possibilities for one plot to impact onto the other and viceversa is huge! Shamy might want to have more privacy and squabble with Lenny over the apartment, which might lead Lenny to ask themselves why they’re still leaving with Sheldon since they only stayed because he was depressed over Amy leaving him, which can lead to some sweet Shelnard moments as they come to terms with the fact that their time as roommates is coming to an end, which can open the possibility for Amy to move into 4A and have the Fab Four essentially sharing the entire floor of that building, tons of stories about Amy living with other people (which she’s never done before) and how she adjusts to that, and so on. There you go! That’s a season or more worth of material right there! And it wouldn’t even change the blueprint of the show that much because those 4 are constantly at Los Robles anyway and who sleeps in what bed makes no difference to the episodes!

These writers literally have a silver platter of potential effortless plots to explore that THEY themselves set up and are totally refusing to do so, instead preferring to recycle scripts that seem to belong in seasons past and where the characterization of the characters is butchered at best. Raj dates two women AGAIN! Lenny keep secrets from each other AGAIN! Amy is lead to think something sexual is coming only to be bazinga’ed AGAIN! There's random conflict that comes out of nowhere AGAIN that is solved by the characters getting distracted by something else AGAIN! If the writers think this is novel and rewarding, I’m seriously worried about the state of their dopamine system. I can understand recycling plots when you’ve exhausted all possibilities, but this show hasn’t.

On top of that, the characterization these days is all over the place. Character (and relationship) traits have become so interchangeable that I don’t feel anyone has their own identity anymore. Howard is suddenly a hypocondriac while Sheldon “I-took-a-course-of-antibiotics-because-Penny-has-sneezed-in-the-apartment” Cooper, has to be forced to take his medicines when he’s sick. Penny is fed up of living with man-child Sheldon in one episode and in the next she gets along great with him, loves the RA meetings and they’re on the same wavelength about everything. Amy has now taken the role Penny used to have and is all about sex and drinks and a social expert helping people sort out their feelings. Penny apparently has also taken over Leonard’s role as Sheldon’s BFF, sharing all his scifi/comic book interests out of nowhere. Raj, who used to feel guilty over dating two women, now boasts about it. Bernadette ends up accidentally pregnant ala Penny and her 180 pregnancy tests, despite not being keen on babies, like she doesn’t even know what contraceptive methods are despite being the evil Queen of Big Pharma. I mean, what’s the new game they’re playing in the writers room? Character roulette? Pin the plot on the head of the character while blinfolded? You want a cookie because you remember Howard is allergic to peanuts and Sheldon doesn’t like lamb and Raj is a Libra, while you go around writing all of the above?

Which leads me to my biggest crux of them all. Amy. I know I’ve said it plenty of times but let me repeat myself. I got into the show because of Amy. 

When she was introduced, to me, she was one of the most interesting female character on television. The reason for that being very simple: eccentricity. Yes, Hollywood had started delivering more of the strong, smart, accomplished woman type (which Amy also was/is), but rarely, if ever, television allows a female character to be off-the-wall eccentric, nerdy, quirky and/or socially stunted. No matter the situation, women are always the mature ones, the voice of reason, the grounded one for the eccentric man to play off of. Amy was something new and different because of her eccentricity and she won me over in a heartbeat and made me reconsider a show that I mostly didn’t consider to be all that good.

Now, I don’t expect characters to stay stagnant. I did not expect Amy to stay as robotic as she was in early S4. That would have been unrealistic, and it’s the kind of criticism I often raised to many “Sheldon purists” who stomped their feet because Sheldon changed his mind about romance or what have you. But the key word here is “change his mind”. I never had a problem with Amy learning, growing, changing her mind (to a degree - again, I don’t want characters to be ’normalized’). But what we are seeing on the show is not Amy changing her mind. It’s either a blatant retconning of her past, sometimes downright contradicting actual CANON evidence (e.g. her discussion with Raj in Friendship Turbulence about her “almost giving up [on finding a boyfriend] before she met Sheldon”, when her dating once a year because of a deal with her mother was canon not once, but in several occasions), or the writers completely and utterly disregarding who the character is meant to be and come from. They want the joke, and they have decided this is what Amy does and says and whether that fits with her past, her role on the show, her role in Sheldon’s life or the group, doesn’t matter. And that, to me as a viewer, is incredibly insulting. Because it means you either expect me to be too dumb to notice, or it means that you don’t care about the character as anything more than a tool to fit your purpose.

Just to use the issue of latest taping as an example, I could have coped with Amy saying something like “look, I used to love the Relationship Agreement, but I think I’ve grown past it now and we can have a relationship without checking rules every five minutes because we end up breaking them anyway”. I would have been sad because I love the RA and I thought it set Shamy apart from all the other couples, and also gave them comedy to mine. But it would have been at least an understandable development at this stage in their relationship. What I cannot cope with is the writers telling me that all those moments I cherished over the years, where I saw Shamy oddly and eccentrically navigate their relationship via that document that they *both* treasured very much, were actually a fake. And I’m meant to find Amy faking it funny, when Amy’s patient understanding and complete honesty with Sheldon were two cardinal aspects of their relationship to me. They’re telling me that I was a fan of something that wasn’t really there. And I’m sorry if I cannot be happy about it. I got into Amy because I loved her eccentricity, honesty, arrogance, endless vocabulary and logical nature. Not because I wanted to watch the umpteenth story of the mature, socially savvy, cunning girl who just happens to dress like a grandma winning over the neurotic weirdo and coaching (at best) or manipulating him (at worst) to conform to societal standards of relationships. So either I ignore the writers’ own contradictory canon in order to continue believing my favorite character is and was what I was *told* she was, or I give up not only on the current incarnation of Amy Farrah Fowler, but also on all her previous incarnations because, apparently, they were mostly all a fake. And if I do the latter then… I never loved AFF in the first place and coddammit it feels like I’m stuck in an episode of Dr Who and someone is rewriting my timeline! It angers me because while I could have even coped with the show eventually losing its plot, as most shows inevitably end up doing, I cannot cope with the show retroactively, slowly taking everything I loved about it down as well. At least leave me the old episodes! 

All that seems to be left of original!Amy is her wardrobe. That seems to be the only think the writers/Amy are sticking by stubbornly and it opens a whole other can of worms. Because when the jokes about Amy’s weirdness are nowadays all centered around her appearance (because she's "normal" in any other respect), and you juxtapose that with situations where it appears as if Amy (who loved sex, brags about it and is deeply attracted to her boyfriend) is the recipient of a once-a-year “gift” of intimacy from an otherwise uninterested and aloof boyfriend… Well… Houston, we have a big problem.

I miss feeling good about this show, I really do. And I’ve tried very hard, but I feel disappointed more and more with every passing episode. Most depressing of all to me is to have to come to grips with the fact that I don't think I am currently a Shamy fan any longer. While I can always hope that this will change in the future, right now there’s little to nothing that holds my interest when it comes to this couple. There are undoubtedly some moments that make me go “awww” still (like the tag in the cabin episode, or Amy’s toast at his birthday), but there’s an equal amount of moments that make me dislike the whole affair. The breakup already did a lot of damage for me, but I feel like the aftermath did so even more. I tried to stay positive after December and give them time, and I did not care whether they had sex right away in the follow up episodes or not for another year, but I did expect to see 1) *some* change to indicate to me how the breakup affected Amy on an emotional level, and led her to rediscover what it is she loves about her relationship with Sheldon, beyond the sex, 2) *some* change to indicate to me how having slept with her affected Sheldon on a physical level, and led him to discover new ways wanting to be physically closer to her and express some desire for her, even if it wasn’t by going all the way again any time soon and 3) the two of them focusing on their crazy, nerdy, eccentric common interests that makes everyone scratch their heads around them. Instead, we got none of it: Amy apparently is only happy to bring up the one time she had sex and still has to resort to pathetic measures to see her boyfriend in an intimate context, Sheldon has not given any indication that he is in any way attracted to her or tempted by her, and apparently Penny is now the one with all the common interests with Sheldon, while Amy faked it, or at best put up with it, all along. I was pretty much 100% sure that once the writers had them consummate, they would never in a million years even plant the seed of doubt that Sheldon might be truly indifferent and only giving Amy sex because it’s important to her. That was way too ugly a prospect. I operated on the assumption of “surely they won’t do THAT!”. Either they won't have them have sex at all, or bite the bullet and go all in. Sadly, it seems like they have. They can still change that, but the seed of doubt is definitely deep there now, and, this far from the event, it will at best come across as incredibly clumsy writing if Sheldon suddenly shows an awakening of desire when they’ve put him already in every single textbook circumstance that could have triggered that (Valentine’s day, alcohol, birthday, emotional bonding, cabin) and he didn’t even blink, quite the opposite. 

I don’t know what is happening, and whether this has to do with them considering another 2-3 season renewal, but if the price to pay to get more years of TBBT is to have it stagnate and incoherently ride the coattails of its own success, then it’s all very sad. I spend all my time bitching about the writers now, rather than focusing on the story, because everything just leads me to question writing choices, when all I want is to be caught up in the story and not distracted by the puppeteers behind the scenes. I wish we could get some closure with the finale at least, so that those of us who are disappointed can move on, but it looks like it will be just another cliffhanger for the sake of having a cliffhanger that more than likely will be insane (is Leonard’s dad actually secretly Howard’s AND Amy’s dad?! They’re all related!) or something that will piss people off all over again (Lenny divorce, more cheating, Shenny, Lamy, maybe Raj will date ALL THE WOMEN AT ONCE!), because I doubt you can have something like a feel-good cliffhanger. *sigh*

If you made it this far through my post, have a cookie! I don't word-vomit around here much anymore, so don't worry, I'll probably hibernate again soon.

Agree with everything you said. Especially the coitus part. Also this forum is now officially funnier than the show.

One thing though, I think we need to actually watch the episode to judge the "faking it" thing. Because I don't believe it means Amy has been faking to love the RA all this time. What I got from the TR is that she used to love it but she grew out of it. Also I think it's not the entire RA but RA meeting?

• Like 1

Koops, I won't use the quote option, but such a cogent thoughtful post.  I feel the same way as you do toward Amy about Penny.  From  the ending scene of The Hamburger Postulate on, I knew that Penny was in love with Leonard and would have a hard time admitting it......I could go on and on, but my feelings in the entirety echo yours.  Again, a great, great post.  Thank you.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Agree with everything you said. Especially the coitus part. Also this forum is now officially funnier than the show.

One thing though, I think we need to actually watch the episode to judge the "faking it" thing. Because I don't believe it means Amy has been faking to love the RA all this time. What I got from the TR is that she used to love it but she grew out of it. Also I think it's not the entire RA but RA meeting?

I know, I was making an example. But to me, even if it's not the entire RA, it's still tainting something I used to enjoy about their relationship. I used to believe the genuinely were both into their meeting and negotiations (First Pitch is one of my favorite Shamy episodes ever), the few times we saw those on screen, and I loved them. And I always believed a huge part of the RA were exactly those meetings where things would get discussed and negotiated. To say Amy never really enjoyed them really puts a damper looking back, because common interests were a huge part of why I loved Shamy as a couple. Not to mention that Amy used to be open and honest with Sheldon about not liking certain stuff (like his silly space movies or tearing down Raiders) and now I'm meant to believe that she is one to fake interest? It's part of my bigger issue of "what else will the writers retcon about Amy that I used to love"? Because they do that a lot, not just in this occasion. What's it going to be next? FWF?  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, koops said:

I know, I was making an example. But to me, even if it's not the entire RA, it's still tainting something I used to enjoy about their relationship. I used to believe the genuinely were both into their meeting and negotiations (First Pitch is one of my favorite Shamy episodes ever), the few times we saw those on screen, and I loved them. And I always believed a huge part of the RA were exactly those meetings where things would get discussed and negotiated. To say Amy never really enjoyed them really puts a damper looking back, because common interests were a huge part of why I loved Shamy as a couple. Not to mention that Amy used to be open and honest with Sheldon about not liking certain stuff (like his silly space movies or tearing down Raiders) and now I'm meant to believe that she is one to fake interest? It's part of my bigger issue of "what else will the writers retcon about Amy that I used to love"? Because they do that a lot, not just in this occasion. What's it going to be next? FWF?  

Well to me I don't see how much Amy loved those things in the past in the first place. I mean she even called RA stupid once. And I think what she loves about the RA and all those negotiations is that she can get some "benefits" from them. 

As for FWF, again I don't think she's that enthusiastic about that either. Most of the time she just does it with Sheldon. She doesn't hate it of course, but she doesn't love it either, at least not as much as Sheldon.

The thing is we have this perfect Amy in our minds and she's a true match for Sheldon in every way possible. But the real Amy on the show is not. There are things they do together that she loves, like the contrafactural game or the aquarium game. Others she mostly does them with/for Sheldon. And to me that's fine. That doesn't make them less Shamy. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I believe the words that Amy uses are that she found them (relationship agreement meetings) to be kind of boring. What I don't like is that it is clearly just put in there for a joke about Amy "faking" it and Sheldon not being able to tell. I know this show does jokes like this that essentially contradict a character but this one did not sit right with me. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. 

Edited by dana1010
I had to insert a not
  • Like 3

Just now, camelliayao said:

Well to me I don't see how much Amy loved those things in the past in the first place. I mean she even called RA stupid once. And I think what she loves about the RA and all those negotiations is that she can get some "benefits" from them. 

As for FWF, again I don't think she's that enthusiastic about that either. Most of the time she just does it with Sheldon. She doesn't hate it of course, but she doesn't love it either, at least not as much as Sheldon.

The thing is we have this perfect Amy in our minds and she's a true match for Sheldon in every way possible. But the real Amy on the show is not. There are things they do together that she loves, like the contrafactural game or the aquarium game. Others she mostly does them with/for Sheldon. And to me that's fine. That doesn't make them less Shamy. 

I completely disagree with all of this and that's not the show I watched all these years. Amy has called the RA "romantic" and "better than hot, binding". She's used it plenty of times to her advantage and there's stuff in there that most definitely stems from her and not Sheldon. She's bragged in front of her friends about how she and Sheldon have things figured out in their RA that her friends have not. Hardly seems to me like Amy never loved these things in the first place. She called the "contracts" stupid once versus all these other instances indicating the opposite. 

As far as FWF, she was involved in every single episode and the one she couldn't be in, she skyped in to find out how it was going. She threw up a whole fight versus Wheaton because he was ruining the episode with his acting. She contributed ideas from day one and was so excited about being added to the title. Sheldon himself called it "their baby", which is hardly something he would do if it were all his doing. 

The stuff she put up with for his own sake, it was made clear she did. Like his sci-fi shows and comic books. I never expect Amy to share every single of Sheldon's interests, but it's always been pretty clear to me that the RA and FWF were the two main things she was shown repeatedly being a big part of, not just a passive one. This is all stuff that's canon. The Amy I'm describing is not an Amy I had in my head, it's an Amy I saw on the show and an Amy I got into because I saw on the show. I was not hallucinating or idealizing anything. If I had ever seen an Amy who just put up with things for Sheldon's sake while instead she would have much preferred to be sitting at a candlelit table, drinking wine and gazing into each other's eyes, I would have never been a fan of hers, let alone their relationship. 

• Like 9

On 23 March 2016 at 3:47 PM, April said:

Apart from having this all suddenly blow up in one episode I'm not entirely sure what's so surprising about this. All these issues have been picked up on by us in the past weeks and months and discussed ad nauseam in this thread and many others. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. This latest episode now seems like the writers taking all of those things, crank them up to eleven so that even the last average Joe watching the show finally gets the memo as a preparation to whatever may come in the finale of the season.

(Of course all of that's just judging by the TR - Idk if the final episode will have the same vibe.)

c96f2fbc4b0dd37b9ad521fa22ac0dff39ea13c8

Yup!

We said that Penny wasn't happy and didn't seem to want to move across the hall and be a real grown up, we said that Leonard and Sheldon would fight about the apartment and we predicted that all of that would lead to Lenny moving across the hall so fingers crossed! :) 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, koops said:

Not to mention that Amy used to be open and honest with Sheldon about not liking certain stuff (like his silly space movies or tearing down Raiders) and now I'm meant to believe that she is one to fake interest?

Funny, I always thought she was manipulative. First thing that comes to mind is the table episode.

Then the episode in which she faked an illness.

Then the episode she experimented on Penny. The meme experiment.

Spaghetti and weaners for Sheldon and mario sound effects rather than dinner music.

I also thought there was a foundation for future manipulation when she experimented on a monkey and we/she saw Sheldon had exactly the same reactions as the test monkey.

edit

She put her sent on stuff in Sheldon's office when she was worried about Alex. It came out she had done the same in Penny's apartment.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 3

If it helps , I think it was more like "when we used to have our RA meetings, I used to not enjoy those as much as well" , it definitively wasn't "I hated them" or anything. And she said it very softly.

Anyway, just wanted to say, @koops , agree with you sooooo much on the coitus thing!!!

i hate this "once a year thing". I mean I prefer not to think about it ,  cause Amy seems happy, but when I do think about it , I hate it. I didn't expect sex to turn Sheldon into Howard, but I expected SOME change in him, if there isn't, what's the point ?

and you're so on to all the characters and personalities being intertwined now, I feel the same but I couldn't have said it so well myself.! But Sheldon needing someone to force him his medicine and Bernie suddenly becoming this sweet adorable mom to be and all her bitchiness just disappearing are the weirderst to me.

I think Amy embraced the RA early in the relationship because it was a  written promise of things to come. But as Amy grew up (in a way, unfortunately) she outgrew it and saw it morenof a means to stifle the relationship by Sheldon. In my opinion she was trying to fool herself into believing the RA was something to be proud of and to embrace, because at the time its all she could lay claim to since the physical part and the intimacy she craved was progressing at a snail's pace.

When Sheldon took her on a double date with Lenny you can see some of that come out. In the car ride Sheldon compares the RA to a certain "contract" the 13 colonies entered and that relationship is as strong today as then. Amy gets super excited at hearing that and talks about her underwear catching fire lol...but IMO it wasnt because the RA rung her bells, it was because of the words and sentiment behind what Sheldon SAID.

Later when having dinner she brags about the score they got on the relationship test as being a testament to their relationship, but in the end she says she would love for Sheldon to talk to her like Leonard does to Penny, and you can clearly see a longing for something better in het face and in what she says.

Just my two cents

• Like 2

I'm with you Koops what is wrong with the writers that they can't see the possibilities of putting the Fab Four on the fourth floor.  Penny and Amy have been BFFs for a long time and all of them would be in and out of the apartments all the time.  This thing with Sheldon has to interact with only Penny and Leonard, so they have to live with him and Penny has to be sweet to him is getting old fast.

• Like 6

well, in fairness, the show has contributed to our arguments about who Amy is. Because the show decided that consistency or plausible evolution didn't matter around Season Six, and after that we have had at any point of time at least two possible Amys: The cerebral, wonkish eccentric I fell in love with, and Poor Amy, whom I regard as the nightmarish, self-pitying, entitled, passive aggressive, martyr-complex-ridden bastard offspring of my least favourite aspects of Leonard and Raj (sorry, Ugh, Raj). Schrodinger's Amy, if you will.

I will put my hand up and say that I have a specific favourite version of Amy. this is NOT to say that my version is a perfect human being, or even a particularly nice one. But she IS my preferred version, and she DID exist in Seasons Four, Five and most of Season Eight. She even made occasional appearances in Seasons Six and Seven. Poor Amy exists too, and has despoiled the rest of Seasons Six and Seven, and most episodes around and after the Season Eight Finale. I understand that she is relateable in lots of ways, but I am not dismissing traditional romance or romantics when I say that The Ballad Of Sheldon And Poor Amy is not the story I signed up for. I am merely expressing a preference. Strongly. And repeatedly. And likely offensively. But the show has played into this confusion with its searing contempt for Amy as a character around Season Six onwards.

so how about this? The show has the power to revise its own history by claiming that Amy was pretending to love the RA, or Fun With Flags. The show has the power to claim that Amy was only pretending to go along with all of the things that she claimed to other people (when Sheldon wasn't even present) to love. The show can do all these things. And we can point to the revisionism and say 'see? Canon'. But that doesn't make the writing better, or cleverer, or more insightful, in retrospect. And it doesn't make the show's contempt for its own creation, or its own audience, any less palpable.

also: Stick around, koopsie! Stick around at the old five and dime!

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, koops said:

I completely disagree with all of this and that's not the show I watched all these years. Amy has called the RA "romantic" and "better than hot, binding". She's used it plenty of times to her advantage and there's stuff in there that most definitely stems from her and not Sheldon. She's bragged in front of her friends about how she and Sheldon have things figured out in their RA that her friends have not. Hardly seems to me like Amy never loved these things in the first place. She called the "contracts" stupid once versus all these other instances indicating the opposite.

The other instances aren't exactly Amy adoring all of the RA unconditionally though. Yes, she called it romantic but by the end of the same episode she wondered if she should have gotten a lawyer. And yes, she called it "Better than hot, binding." but the "hot" was prompted by Penny and the part that she was gleeful about was the "binding" because it was all about how Sheldon had to make up for all the dates he missed while he was away. Nobody is suggesting that she hated the RA from start to finish. But as camelliayao said, what she loves about the RA and all those negotiations is that she can get some "benefits" from them and that has constantly been shown.

The show is now merely suggesting that Amy found some of the meetings a bit boring sometimes. I'm sure they also had more interesting meetings ever so often. She surely had a ball with him making plans who to sell out to the new evil overlord in next apocalypse or something. But the idea of Amy kinda sorta not being into §§ and legal speak? I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And it doesn't strike me as contradicting anything from the past.

Edited by April
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Funny, I always thought she was manipulative. First thing that comes to mind is the table episode.

Then the episode in which she faked an illness.

Then the episode she experimented on Penny. The meme experiment.

Spaghetti and weaners for Sheldon and mario sound effects rather than dinner music.

I also thought there was a foundation for future manipulation when she experimented on a monkey and we/she saw Sheldon had exactly the same reactions as the test monkey.

edit

She put her sent on stuff in Sheldon's office when she was worried about Alex. It came out she had done the same in Penny's apartment.

Ahh the table episode ... The episode where penny builds up Leonard from starting till almost the end .... Only to completely ditch him and leave him hanging because Sheldon is sad 

@SRAM

Is this what u think a best friend would do ... ??

And mind you this was not any kind of teasing from penny to Leonard 

Edited by vasu

8 minutes ago, vasu said:

Ahh the table episode ... The episode where penny builds up Leonard from starting till almost the end .... Only to completely ditch him and leave him hanging because Sheldon is sad 

@SRAM

Is this what u think a best friend would do ... ??

And mind you this was not any kind of teasing from penny to Leonard 

No.  She did it at Bernadette's suggestion.

Bernie - Look at Amy down there.  Should we go?

Penny - Yeah, let's go.

Bernie is the one that caved.  Everyone else just followed, starting with Penny.  And before you say it, RAJ was the last hold out.  Not Leonard.

Edited by Kathy2611
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

No.  She did it at Bernadette's suggestion.

Bernie - Look at Amy down there.  Should we go?

Penny - Yeah, let's go.

Bernie is the one that caved.  Everyone else just followed, starting with Penny.  And before you say it, RAJ was the last hold out.  Not Leonard.

So are u saying if Bernie did not cave penny would not have caved ?

And of course Leonard caves after penny caves as he does not have the guts .... Even though till that point penny was the one who wanted Leonard to buy the table 

Edited by vasu

The reality of the Lenny situation is that Penny had given up a lot more in her life than Leonard has. They had an old season 3 episode when Penny had her friends over to watch the football game. what happened to those friends? people say that Amy and Bernie are her friends. But raj and howard found Amy and penny only brought Bernadette in to double date with Howard. Her whole life is related to leonard. But no one seems to notice that.

• Like 7

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic