The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

42 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

-Which of those things would be illegal or unenforceable?

-Sorry but if Penny ever said that, and Leonard had reservations I can easily see people demonizing Penny for having that attitude.  So I wouldn't care for Leonard having that attitude either.  Also I didn't care for when George W. Bush said those same words, over a decade ago.  People can still care about you but disagree with you.  I don't see love in either/or terms most of the time.  Sometimes two people can have disagreements, it doesn't mean the relationship and it's future should be at stake EVERY TIME spouse's disagree with each other.  It all depends on the circumstance, from what I've read, this circumstance does not read like it's one of them.

I think most people opinions on here aren't based on the RA. If this went to court of law I would go with tensors theory above. Most people on here, both sides, are tired of the current living arrangements. Penny siding with Sheldon, though IMO appears nothing to do with honoring the RA, just appears to be prolonging the process. That and Penny and Sheldon having more storylines lately compared to Lenny/Shamy isn't helping. Also Penny appears to be taking Sheldon's side almost every time there is a disagreement with the two guys.

• Like 5

To add more to this here is a link on some legalities over contracts:

This quote I think sums why the current Roommate agreement would probably stand from a legal point of view:

"In summary, a contract is valid if the agreement is consensual, legal, backed up with a promise of consideration, and it is executed by two adult parties who are in sound mind—both of which intend to hold up their end of the bargain."

Now if we were talking about the roommate agreement that Leonard signed back in season 4.  Then yes, Leonard's signature would be null and void (and that's ONLY IF Leonard could actually prove it).  But Leonard and Penny both signed a new contract this season under no duress.

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Well we know Priya the only lawyer we know has seen it ripped it to shreds  with a quick look thru. 

Not only that but with Priya there was a way for Sheldon to get even with her. It seems to me in this scenario Lenny are in a much better position. Though disagreeing with one another IMO is the only thing now in Sheldon's favor.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, meka3000 said:

Because Leonard signed the RA, he should at least honor what he signed.  Yes the RA can be asinine, but that's irrelevant imo.  Leonard signed it, not honoring his signature puts him in the wrong.

How many people ignore the terms of service when they join some social media site? To me the roommate agreement is an allusion to all those agreements that people tend to just click on like a next button. I can't take the RA seriously.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

That and Penny and Sheldon having more storylines lately compared to Lenny/Shamy isn't helping.

What other storylines have Penny & Sheldon been getting this season together compared to Lenny/Shamy?  This episode coming up is the first time in awhile that they've had an actual STORY (and not just a scene or two) together.  Before that there was Season 8's: The Intimacy Acceleration, and perhaps The Communication Deterioration, and The Comic Book Store Regeneration.  In Season 7: The Anything Can Happen Reoccurance, The Occupation Recalibration, The Scavenger Vortex, and The Hofstadter Isolation.

This season has had them have scenes together where one of them played support to the other.  But nothing where both of them have exclusively had stories about each other's specific bond.  Until the upcoming episode that is. 

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

To add more to this here is a link on some legalities over contracts:

This quote I think sums why the current Roommate agreement would probably stand from a legal point of view:

"In summary, a contract is valid if the agreement is consensual, legal, backed up with a promise of consideration, and it is executed by two adult parties who are in sound mind—both of which intend to hold up their end of the bargain."

Now if we were talking about the roommate agreement that Leonard signed back in season 4.  Then yes, Leonard's signature would be null and void (and that's ONLY IF Leonard could actually prove it).  But Leonard and Penny both signed a new contract this season under no duress.

And what would happen if Lenny just decided to move to 4b and didn't follow the RA. Would they get fined? prison time?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

And what would happen if Lenny just decided to move to 4b and didn't follow the RA. Would they get fined? prison time?

Not a damn thing, it's nothing more than Leonard playing to Sheldon's vanity.   If I were Leonard I'd do what I want and let Sheldon try to tale it to court.  We've seen what happens with Sheldon in court.  Besides, There is no court who is going to accept a case where one party limits the amount of toilet paper to three squares

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

How many people ignore the terms of service when they join some social media site? To me the roommate agreement is an allusion to all those agreements that people tend to just click on like a next button. I can't take the RA seriously.

I don't see how it's relevant whether people in that situation CHOOSE to not take time out of their day to read something before agreeing to it.

7 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Besides, There is no court who is going to accept a case where one party limits the amount of toilet paper to three squares

Eh, in a world where McDonalds was sued over not putting a hot coffee sign (seriously it's freaking coffee, did you expect it to be cold?), I wouldn't put it past any court to surprise me.

13 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

If the goal was to have Leonard and Penny fight and Penny side with Sheldon, I wish they had not used the RA the way they did because it makes no sense.

Penny has lived on her own, her apartment was always a complete disaster.  To go from that to living in an apartment where there are rules for absolutely everything would drive her nuts.

Eh Sheldon has been driving her nuts for years, and she's had to honor some of the RA agreement even WHILE NOT living there (Oatmeal day anyone?), and she's had some knowledge over this stuff over the years which I think would prepare her for it.  I just don't see the RA driving her more nuts than Sheldon usually does.

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Maybe they no longer get specific benefits from Sheldon, remember how Howardette are bound to get 25% from Sheldon towards their child in the patent contract?  If Howard didn't choose to honor his end, I'm sure Sheldon could choose to not honor his end.  Who's to say there aren't any benefits that Lenny wouldn't reap from the contract, if they decided to not honor it?

Edited by meka3000

1 hour ago, meka3000 said:

I don't see how it's relevant whether people in that situation CHOOSE to not take time out of their day to read something before agreeing to it.

Any reasonable definition of an agreement demands that people understand what they are agreeing to.

All I really said is I think the RA is an allusion not something intended to be realistic. "that situation" was the first thing that popped in my head. It is an everyday example of agreements that a lot of people don't take seriously. Leonard does not generally take the RA seriously. I don't think there is any significant remedy for Sheldon if Leonard reneges on his end. Leonard never gets thrown out. It is nothing but bluff and bluster.

Eh Sheldon has been driving her nuts for years, and she's had to honor some of the RA agreement even WHILE NOT living there (Oatmeal day anyone?), and she's had some knowledge over this stuff over the years which I think would prepare her for it.  I just don't see the RA driving her more nuts than Sheldon usually does.

Funny but I really did not think Penny would be able to tolerate living with Sheldon.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Any reasonable definition of an agreement demands that people understand what they are agreeing to.

There's a world of difference in reading something, but not quite comprehending it; & choosing NOT to read what you are agreeing to.

Eh, in a world where McDonalds was sued over not putting a hot coffee sign (seriously it's freaking coffee, did you expect it to be cold?), I wouldn't put it past any court to surprise me.

In that case (ridiculous or not) there was a significant harm and a remedy of a cash reward. With the RA there is no real harm in a breach so I doubt there would be any compensation or remedy that did not result in Sheldon being alone. If my roommate takes me to court I'd be moving out. This is is never going to court.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stardustmelody said:

BigBearPrecip_E9x20BBT_01.jpg

Shamy look like the quintessential married couple.

4 hours ago, JE7 said:

Well we know Priya the only lawyer we know has seen it ripped it to shreds  with a quick look thru. 

INAL, but I think she was incorrect, in her quoting of the law.

4 hours ago, Chrismo said:

No, because the RA is just that. It's an agreement about being roommates.

Once they stop being roommates, the agreement lapses.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, meka3000 said:

Maybe they no longer get specific benefits from Sheldon, remember how Howardette are bound to get 25% from Sheldon towards their child in the patent contract?  If Howard didn't choose to honor his end, I'm sure Sheldon could choose to not honor his end.  Who's to say there aren't any benefits that Lenny wouldn't reap from the contract, if they decided to not honor it?

What possible benefits? As far as we know up to now the only "benefits" Leonard got from the Roommate Agreement are just some generic "TV-rights", which can be withdrawn at Sheldon's discretion. Actually, up to now, the only acknowledged concessions that Sheldon has ever made to Leonard regarding the RA are about Penny (as stated back in 4.3 and in the most recent episode) and, in retrospect, maybe also those ones were due to Penny herself. I always found that, although both the Roommate A. and the Relationship A. were  basically a tool for Sheldon to get his way with Leonard and Amy, respectively, the latter pretty soon, due to negotiations, became a even contract and, by the end of it, Amy used it to get his way with Sheldon pretty much as he did. But Leonard did not negotiate at all during the years for his agreement. Maybe for him was just easier to let things go and agree to all this crazy stuff or Sheldon was not open to negotiations with him. In any case, in the show there was not a clear mention to a clause similar to the scholarship for Howard's baby, and I find little hard to believe that Sheldon is "paying" Lenny (with money or in other ways) to stay with him right now (even if that would explain a lot, TBH).

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, stardustmelody said:

Press Release  & Promo Photos for 9.20 The Big Bear Precipitation is up! 

I like very much the way Howard and Bernie renovated their house, it's very "them" right now, with some of Howard's gadgets here and there and the pastel colors Bernie loves all around...

• Like 4

You know what is a real shame about the RA is that the writers are loosing a whole episode of comedic gold by not having Leonard and Penny use it against Sheldon.  I am thinking of one specific clause where in a vote, and there is a tie, Sheldon is the tie breaker.  There are now two Hofstadters who are roommates, wouldn't it be funny if they started voting on everything and changed everything on Sheldon, I could see the RA finally be thrown out the window once and for all.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I could see the RA finally be thrown out the window once and for all.

Or, Sheldon could sign Amy up, as a roommate, to re-balance things.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

But do we really want all four of them together. I for one do not want that although I can think there would be some funny moments with the four of them in the same apartment, especially with one bathroom and Sheldon's strict bathroom policy.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

That would have to be approved by a vote.  I'd like to say it would by 2-1 against Sheldon, but we know how Penny votes on the RA.  So either way, Sheldon either wouldn't get or need Amy for the RA.  

• Like 2

Nope, the new RA was set up with Penny as a roommate.  To prevent Leonard and Penny from moving out. 

• Like 4

I'm surprised most people think of the Roommate Agreement as something serious, I've never thought about it this way.

I've always thought of it as just something childish that Leonard agrees to cause of his reasons (he wants to be liked by Sheldon / he loves Sheldon and he knows rules make him comfortable so he agrees to it / he doesn't like conflict etc). I've always thought that if Leonard stated it clearly that he doesnt want to have RA, Sheldon would agree to it , he wouldn't throw Leonard out or anything (with the exception of their first year - three years when he indeed was more of a loner and probably didn't see Leonard as a close friend yet). Sheldon is so attached to Leonard. Not even cause of all this driving him around stuff, he'd find a way. But he's so attached to Leonard as to a friend/brother, I do not believe he'd wanna live alone just because of the lack of RA. Of course , no RA would make him extremely uncomfortable, of course I think he'd try to bluff and pretend "no RA - get out". But I think once he'd realized Leonard is serious, he'd have agreed to live with him with no RA. Of course , he'd still have some rules he'd ask Leonard to follow (just like now with Amy, they have no RA, but there are still some rules, she still can't sit in his spot , etc). I just believe he'd be asking Leonard friendly about that stuff, if RA wasn't in place.

I've always had the impression Sheldon knows (at least in the later seasons when he's not 'Shelbot' anymore ) that his friends just play along with the RA and all his rules because they care about him and they know how important they are to him, his OCD etc.

I also always thought RA has no legal power either, it's just a silly agreement between friends... I mean for it to have legal power they'd need an official notary person to sign it, no?

If it indeed has some legal power I think it's pretty twisted lol, then if I was Leonard I'd run away from that apartment the day they've met 12 years ago lol 

Edited by brilliantfool
  • Like 9