The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:36 AM, Chrismo said:

It also doesn't change the fact that Leonard cheated on Penny. I can acknowledge that at times Penny hasn't been the nicest to him but you seem okay with Leonard cheating.

I know it is canon, but the kiss is so OCC , IMO that I cannot really consider it part of the story, even if I know it totally is. Btw, it was a drunken kiss ( I know, still cheating) but there was no intention or premeditation or anything like that. If that by itself was not far-fetched enough, they also decided to try to make us believe that it had occurred 2 years ago, which is even more difficult to believe, so it's not as easy or uncomplicated as just saying Leonard cheated.

• Like 6

TBBT best ratings would have been meh a few years ago but traditional TV viewing is gone forever and that trend continues across the board to this day 

For this day and time it is still a powerhouse show and to claim otherwise is simply hyperbole

I know many are unhappy with the show, I am one of them but there are enough things wrong to talk about without being like the writers and pulling something out of left field and hoping it will just be accepted

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:23 AM, Jonny83 said:

I just think he needs to find a girl (one, not two or three) and settle down a bit. The writers could then have some fun with their interactions, he comes across as very metrosexual and that could play off well with a significant other.

I agree with you, but how is he going to find a girl now that he has made a point to date two at once? And what have they done to the Raj who felt guilty of dating 2 women (Lucy and Emily) when he wasn't intimate with either of them? Btw, to be honest I don't even understand why he left Emily when he did. He should have done it at the end of last season when she had her creepiness turned on full throttle, but now? I assure you I just don't get it (and I don't even really care about Raj.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, hokie3457 said:

....there is a fanfiction work where Howard & Leonard find out they have the same dad....

Interesting... The two things that wouldn't work, however, would be that Leonard would have to be (at least) 11 years older than Howard, and that he would be Leonard Wolowitz, not Hofstadter.

• Like 5

At least the show has been consistent this year. Raj is consistently a jerk and creepy. Sheldon and Amy are shown in their quirky love. Leonard and Penny are shown as a married couple that keeps secrets from each other and having little in common. Even when they have a chance for a little fun, their 'best friend' ruins it. Why does Sheldon has to ruin couples fun by dropping a secret like tonight just 'to win'. Oh he's socially awkward and doesn't know better doesn't cut it anymore. That was just mean and meant to cause trouble. Penny was once sweet and caring, this Penny is gone. Only thing left from her character that Leonard and the rest of us fell in love with is that she likes to drink and that she's had sex in every possible place in every possible way. Didn't feel there was any progress on their conflict tonight either.  If Penny's job pays so much, why hasn't she paid down her debt. The questions about their money changes from episode to episode. Seems the writers are confused, or maybe we're not supposed to pay close attention. Really wish I didn't feel this disappointed after every episode, but I do.

I'm not one to worry about the portrayal of Lenny's married relationship. Most of the comments are just harmless sarcastic banter between married couples in sitcoms, albeit a little one way in this one. The hat thing was exactly how my wife would have reacted to me dressing in an unapproved of way - she's often embarrassed about my choice of attire when going out- and because she really doesn't give a shit about what Sheldon wears, she gives him the "nice hat" comment, most likely not really meaning it. They both got each other during the game and didn't really care - both of them smiled about it really. The sex in the cabin in the rain was yet ANOTHER predictable Penny's done it joke that neither offended me or made me laugh. I was more annoyed by the Old Penny storm out - she hasn't done that since mid Season 7 so that was a bit of a regression. But they worked it all out in the end and got a mutual I Love You into the conversation so that's something for the perpetually offended Lennys among us. ( I recall vaguely from Taping report that they taped a scene with them in bed at the end which didn't make the final cut so that might be something to gripe about - correct me if I'm wrong. I must admit the Shamy repartee at the end was overly long if not cute)

It's the money plot that annoys me the most and just flip flops all over the place. This is a continuity dilemma that I will weigh in on. Why has this become such a big deal in their lives? I know it was a major problem for Penny throughout the years in this show but it just wasn't much of an issue regarding Leonard until the engagement came into being. This is a man who on his wage constantly got Penny out of trouble, bought her tickets to fly home, paid her rent, always paid for dinners, bought her a flipping car(!!) and spent years throwing money at collectibles that are rarely cheap. Then suddenly he has student loan debts and is a struggling physicist whose wife earns more than and is saving money secretly, even $20 is aunt sent him!?!. Penny on the other hand, is still massively in debt even though she seemed to have made enough money to get herself out of enough debt with money from the commercial as far back as Season 5 to buy 2 Star Trek transponders, (while also being in so much debt the she couldn't pay her electricity bills or rent a few eps earlier), then got herself back in problems when she dropped her job for committing to acting, then eventually gets a great job that leads to her making more money than Leonard, getting a financial adviser, being able to buy Leonard a helicopter without thinking, while in the midst of this she gives Leonard back his money for the car which they eventually decide to put away in a joint savings account!! Now despite all the references to her get paying job which she now hates, she is still in massive debit that could be helped with Leonard's secret 6 grand that a year ago would have been going into their joint account except for the fact that Leonard doesn't trust her spending, even though in the last 2 seasons since they've been engaged/married hasn't really come up in conversation at all. PHEW!!!! That's a lot of confusion, writing type guys!

Of course all this flip flopping on finances COULD be the final straw to make the one decision that would REALLY solve their financial issues - the fact they have been unnecessarily paying TWO rents for living in TWO apartments for nearly TWO flipping years! How about ending all this inconsistent financial trauma with that simple solution! Is that what the writers are building to or are they just fixated on marriages being traumatised with money problems, wince we've gone down that path with Howardette as well. And yet Sheldon is blissfully still rolling in dough all this time. (Genuine question - do theoretical physicists make a lot more than experimental physicists and engineers?)

As for the episode, it was smile inducing rather than laugh inducing. Howardette and Raj were cute. I'm enjoying pregnant Bernadette. Shamy were cute if a little overexposed on the Never Have I ever finish and despite the issues I still got my Lenny comparison to my real life marriage ( which by the way is running beautifully after nearly 25 years despite the Lennyness of it). Not a watch again for the laughs episode for me but a pleasant 19 minute diversion. ( come to think of it, another short one , would it have killed to include 20 seconds of Lenny in bed making up after the fight!?)

Lenny in bed making out or make up sex will overshadow the Shamy, so not going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Itwasdestined said:

It's the money plot that annoys me the most and just flip flops all over the place. This is a continuity dilemma that I will weigh in on. Why has this become such a big deal in their lives? I know it was a major problem for Penny throughout the years in this show but it just wasn't much of an issue regarding Leonard until the engagement came into being. This is a man who on his wage constantly got Penny out of trouble, bought her tickets to fly home, paid her rent, always paid for dinners, bought her a flipping car(!!) and spent years throwing money at collectibles that are rarely cheap. Then suddenly he has student loan debts and is a struggling physicist whose wife earns more than and is saving money secretly, even $20 is aunt sent him!?!. Penny on the other hand, is still massively in debt even though she seemed to have made enough money to get herself out of enough debt with money from the commercial as far back as Season 5 to buy 2 Star Trek transponders, (while also being in so much debt the she couldn't pay her electricity bills or rent a few eps earlier), then got herself back in problems when she dropped her job for committing to acting, then eventually gets a great job that leads to her making more money than Leonard, getting a financial adviser, being able to buy Leonard a helicopter without thinking, while in the midst of this she gives Leonard back his money for the car which they eventually decide to put away in a joint savings account!! Now despite all the references to her get paying job which she now hates, she is still in massive debit that could be helped with Leonard's secret 6 grand that a year ago would have been going into their joint account except for the fact that Leonard doesn't trust her spending, even though in the last 2 seasons since they've been engaged/married hasn't really come up in conversation at all. PHEW!!!! That's a lot of confusion, writing type guys!

Of course all this flip flopping on finances COULD be the final straw to make the one decision that would REALLY solve their financial issues - the fact they have been unnecessarily paying TWO rents for living in TWO apartments for nearly TWO flipping years! How about ending all this inconsistent financial trauma with that simple solution! Is that what the writers are building to or are they just fixated on marriages being traumatised with money problems, wince we've gone down that path with Howardette as well. And yet Sheldon is blissfully still rolling in dough all this time. (Genuine question - do theoretical physicists make a lot more than experimental physicists and engineers?)

I have stop being irritated about the money and salary implications on TBBT because it has little bases in the real world as has been shown on this forum numerous times over the years. Howard is a world class, MIT-Master aerospace engineer (who NASA has sent to space!). This guy in real life is making over 100K a year starting years ago. Leonard is an award winning, research physicist who in the show is being honored for coming up with a discovery the Howard is making into a money making application. He is well on the tenure-track now (What ever happened to that anyway?) this guy would also make over a 100K per year after 10 year at Caltech.

Here is a 2014 passage from the San Diego Reader:

"According to Glassdoor and Indeed, the average staff scientist salaries at Caltech is $74,920. Research scientists at Caltech pull in an average of $89,981. Salaries for research scientists in Pasadena are in the $50,000 to $115,000 range. Cooper is described in the series as ‘Senior Theoretical Physicist’ at Caltech this position pulls in about $100,000 a year or more."

Penny and Bernadette's income is also over stated. Bernie, as a Ph.D research at a Big Pharma firm would not have exceeded Howard's salary in her first year on the job as was stated. She would have started at about 65K. Assuming that she has been involved with some successful projects over the last 5 years, she may be matching Howard's salary. As someone who worked in high tech sales for many years, I feel safe to say Penny did not make more money than Leonard after only a few months on the job as was implied in season 8. No sales plan is that lucrative for a rookie on probation.

As for Penny's debt's, how in heck did she get that much credit as a waitress making about 30K a year? And where are all the things she bought? She would need a Sheldon size storage bin for that many shoes. Her wardrobe doesn't show that either. She has an investment advisor for all the "money" she makes and yet she is in dangerous debt? Her "guy" is incompetent to say the least.

We all know this is a fantasy and it has the internal logic of keeping the original premise as intact as the writers can after 9 years. If Leonard and Penny were really making a combined over $200,000 a year like their real life counterparts, they would not be living in a 4th floor walk-up with a nutjob who spends most of his time saying how stupid they are. But how funny are upper-middle class folks living in the suburbs. Oh yes, "Modern Family".

It's the sacrifice we pay for the laughs.

Edited by Tensor
Attributed quote to correct member.
  • Like 9

I have stop being irritated about the money and salary implications on TBBT because it has little bases in the real world as has been shown on this forum numerous times over the years. Howard is a world class, MIT-Master aerospace engineer (who NASA has sent to space!). This guy in real life is making over 100K a year starting years ago. Leonard is an award winning, research physicist who in the show is being honored for coming up with a discovery the Howard is making into a money making application. He is well on the tenure-track now (What ever happened to that anyway?) this guy would also make over a 100K per year after 10 year at Caltech.

Here is a 2014 passage from the San Diego Reader:

"According to Glassdoor and Indeed, the average staff scientist salaries at Caltech is $74,920. Research scientists at Caltech pull in an average of $89,981. Salaries for research scientists in Pasadena are in the $50,000 to $115,000 range. Cooper is described in the series as ‘Senior Theoretical Physicist’ at Caltech this position pulls in about $100,000 a year or more."

Penny and Bernadette's income is also over stated. Bernie, as a Ph.D research at a Big Pharma firm would not have exceeded Howard's salary in her first year on the job as was stated. She would have started at about 65K. Assuming that she has been involved with some successful projects over the last 5 years, she may be matching Howard's salary. As someone who worked in high tech sales for many years, I feel safe to say Penny did not make more money than Leonard after only a few months on the job as was implied in season 8. No sales plan is that lucrative for a rookie on probation.

As for Penny's debt's, how in heck did she get that much credit as a waitress making about 30K a year? And where are all the things she bought? She would need a Sheldon size storage bin for that many shoes. Her wardrobe doesn't show that either. She has an investment advisor for all the "money" she makes and yet she is in dangerous debt? Her "guy" is incompetent to say the least.

We all know this is a fantasy and it has the internal logic of keeping the original premise as intact as the writers can after 9 years. If Leonard and Penny were really making a combined over $200,000 a year like their real life counterparts, they would not be living in a 4th floor walk-up with a nutjob who spends most of his time saying how stupid they are. But how funny are upper-middle class folks living in the suburbs. Oh yes, "Modern Family".

It's the sacrifice we pay for the laughs.

^^^^^

Quote system sucks. You qouted someone else's post. I'm sure you are aware. Another inconsistents is Leonard's work for Hawkins at the north Sea which was a success. With that reputation wouldn't Leonard be making big bucks from webinars, talks shows about the research and maybe private work which will excide Sheldon's wages who has never really done anything worthwhile at caltech and never lived up to this so called reputation that everyone is excited or familiar with his not so great work and his two allege breakthrough has been proven to be failures. Some genuis. But Leonard is the one that is made out to be the failure.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

I don't understand your point, all ratings are declining.  Modern Family had a 2.2 last night.  TBBT is one of only two series that have spent the entire season at 3.5 or above.  The average broadcast demo rating so far this year is 1.52, down 13% from last year.  TBBT is down 13% so far this year.  Can you point out where that is "Plummeting"?

I don't concern myself with other shows because I don't watch them. The fact is the show ratings are down.  Is it just because less people are watching in general or is it that people think TBBT's best days are behind them?

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I know it is canon, but the kiss is so OCC , IMO that I cannot really consider it part of the story, even if I know it totally is. Btw, it was a drunken kiss ( I know, still cheating) but there was no intention or premeditation or anything like that. If that by itself was not far-fetched enough, they also decided to try to make us believe that it had occurred 2 years ago, which is even more difficult to believe, so it's not as easy or uncomplicated as just saying Leonard cheated.

But could you imagined if Penny had given some drunken to some random guy? Would the people who liked your past been understanding about that? Would that be considered OOC?

Unfortunately for Penny no that wouldn't be ooc given her history as seen or stated by her on the show and since the number of TBBT viewers lost is roughly the same as overall viewers lost St I think we can say that yes that is the primary reason 

And the decrease dosent come close to "plummeting " ratings

Edited by JE7

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

I don't concern myself with other shows because I don't watch them. The fact is the show ratings are down.  Is it just because less people are watching in general or is it that people think TBBT's best days are behind them?

It's a bit of both.  But you also have others who are just discovering it.   Viewership for all shows is down 13%.  Some shows are down less, some are down more.   But when the amount of TBBT (or any show for that matter) is decreasing by the same amount as the average for all the shows, it's more than likely due to the decline in general.  

And while you may not watch them,  ABC's comedies are all down.   Modern Family, for example, is down 20%, which means they are losing more viewers than average.  As is Black-ish at 22%  On the other hand, The Goldbergs is down 6% and The Middle is down 4%.   The problem with the latter two, is simply that their demo ratings are below 1.9.

How about the CBS comedies?   Two Broke Girls and Mom are down 23% and 29% respectively, both are below a 1.7, and both of the them were renewed. So down 13% (at the entire season average), with a demo average above a 3.8 (255% above the average show), I find it hard to say it's plummeting.   If you want plummeting, let's have it fall 25% (doubling  this years drop) next year, and 40% the year after that.  It would still be at 1.5 which is  what the average show this year, pulls in.

ETA:  If the average network show falls 13% in both the next two years, the average demo would be 1.15.  TBBT ratings would still be in the upper half of all network shows.     

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Carlos said:

Interesting... The two things that wouldn't work, however, would be that Leonard would have to be (at least) 11 years older than Howard, and that he would be Leonard Wolowitz, not Hofstadter.

Hi Carlos.  With the subject of Leonard and Howard as brothers, you wrote the above.  I'm definitely not up to date on all the show's history so was just wondering what the 11 years age difference is about.  Can you let me know?  Thanks!

Nicely said Tensor. The changes tv viewership is undergoing is fascinating. It seems TBBT has been able to maintain success across many, if not all of these "styles" of viewing.

• Like 1

I got around to watching the episode this morning, and I thought it was great! The Shamy and Lenny scenes were great but Raj, Howard and Bernedette's once again stole the episode! I like this Raj, when he's not being a douch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Nicely said Tensor. The changes tv viewership is undergoing is fascinating. It seems TBBT has been able to maintain success across many, if not all of these "styles" of viewing.

But it's changed the show for many.  It's a predominantly female audience thus the minute plus tag with Shamy. The Lenny fans now seem like dogs waiting for the writers to throw us a bone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, luminous said:

I am curious what the original scene looked like since the scene was totally rewritten.   Curious what they originally had.   

I would say S9 will be a Penny/Lenny season again.  It seems they are setting up for that (as well as the finale).   It will be good to see them bring back some of what made everyone love Penny (her sweetness to start with).   Because it has been sorely missing in this season and her unhappiness and boredom has definitely come through loud and clear.   So hopefully they can bring back the fun loving Penny again.

I just hope they don't decide to suddenly turn her into a scientist because that would be too far of a stretch and violate everything about the character.   Maybe they could explore having her do something tied to acting that she loved, but is easier to remain employed, such as makeup artist, stylist or something along those lines. She would be able to shop and spend money, but someone else's that way. :laugh: 

• Like 2

Here's What You Didn't Know About Last Night's Big Bang Theory: The Big Bear Precipitation

According to Lorre, “Penny’s world has a lot left for us to explore. A lot left.”  (Source)

Wow. This was very, very interesting. That their whole scene was a last minute decision? That there is much to explore for Penny? Intriguing!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stardustmelody said:

I am curious what the original scene looked like since the scene was totally rewritten.   Curious what they originally had.   

I would say S9 will be a Penny/Lenny season again.  It seems they are setting up for that (as well as the finale).   It will be good to see them bring back some of what made everyone love Penny (her sweetness to start with).   Because it has been sorely missing in this season and her unhappiness and boredom has definitely come through loud and clear.   So hopefully they can bring back the fun loving Penny again.

I just hope they don't decide to suddenly turn her into a scientist because that would be too far of a stretch and violate everything about the character.   Maybe they could explore having her do something tied to acting that she loved, but is easier to remain employed, such as makeup artist, stylist or something along those lines. She would be able to shop and spend money, but someone else's that way. :laugh: 

The only thing to possibly salvage season 9 is Lenny moving into 4B- their choice not Sheldon's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luminous said:

The rewrite and the ominous tease about Penny makes me think that this was around the time they locked down the details of the finale and saw the chance to streamline the story a bit. Makes me wonder what the initial plan here was! Hmmm...

• Like 5

Raj trying to carry the bear away was absolutely hilarious, I spat my drink at at one point due to laughter. It was good to see the caring/borderline going too far Raj instead of the douchebag Raj we have been seeing recently thanks to his love life.

Everything is pointing to Penny changing career but I haven't got a clue what it will be.  They are going to pull out a surprise career change methinks, so it won't be acting again or working at a restaurant. Trying to think if it might be something to do with a hobby where she tries to go self-employed but I can't think of anything and I am not sure their finances would allow that. Also something science based seems very unrealistic.

Honestly I am stumped at what she might do next.

• Like 1

I have one question for the writers after this episode. Why the hell did Leonard buy a Hufflepuff cap?!?!

Ok I get it he has low self-esteem. But how many times he was frowning and not pleased when Sheldon condescendingly said something along the lines of "One point for Hufflepuff" to him? Suddenly he thinks it's not an insult anymore?

And they're all Ravenclaw anyway! (well ok except for Sheldon, to me he borderlines on Ravenclaw and Slytherine , but if we take S2-6 Sheldon, then I think definitely Slytherine x D )

/ just for the record, I'm not being negative, this is my 2nd fav episode of the season /

39 minutes ago, brilliantfool said:

I have one question for the writers after this episode. Why the hell did Leonard buy a Hufflepuff cap?!?!

Ok I get it he has low self-esteem. But how many times he was frowning and not pleased when Sheldon condescendingly said something along the lines of "One point for Hufflepuff" to him? Suddenly he thinks it's not an insult anymore?

And they're all Ravenclaw anyway! (well ok except for Sheldon, to me he borderlines on Ravenclaw and Slytherine , but if we take S2-6 Sheldon, then I think definitely Slytherine x D )

/ just for the record, I'm not being negative, this is my 2nd fav episode of the season /

I think in story Leonard got sorted into Hufflepuff (either on Pottermore or one of the gazillion online tests, take your pick) and out of story I know there's at least one HP geek among the writers who sorted him there (I like to imagine that the writer's room probably had at least one sitting in which they sorted the gang into their Hogwarts houses like the bunch of nerds they are! <3). I think his personality suits Hufflepuff just fine.

Many characters/people would end up with a mix of traits that would fit more than one house so with most of the TBBT characters being academics Ravenclaw is an obvious choice but that doesn't mean that this would be *their* house in the end. In the books Hermione had many traits of a typical Ravenclaw but got sorted into Gryffindor, as was Harry himself despite also having many qualities of a Slytherin.

Gotta say though I was a bit disappointed that Leonard left his hat in the apartment after Penny's comment. I would have loved it if he wore it despite her disapproval with a "That's how we roll in the Shire Hogwarts!" attitude.

Edited by April
  • Like 6