[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

6 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Uh, what? 

feel sorry for sheldon as in we the audience should feel sorry for Sheldon........

the whole break up was a big story about how we as audience should feel sorry for Sheldon.............. and there are a lot of episodes in the previous seasons which had the same theme...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, brilliantfool said:

Idk if you quoted me or Serena, but if you quoted me - I actually found hoarding OOC for him. But even if I think it isn't... I don't think just because you're confident and don't care about what people think of you, you don't care ALL the time. It's impossible. At least for me. You may not give a crap what the society thinks of you, and not care much of what other people think of you, but there's still gonna be a few things in your life you can be very embarrassed about and even deeply ashamed and wanna hide those.

Also, with hoarding it's first of all HE's judging HIMSELF for it... If he wasn't judging himself, but thought the society might judge him, and that was his reason for hiding it, I would say he does give a fuck.... But I think, even if others said hoarding is no big deal, he'd still be ashamed of it, because to him his opinion is the most important one....

So to me all of this is not contradicting at all....

Also, regarding Amy, well even the most selfish and arrogant and 'I don't give a fuck' of us still care about what the person we love thinks ...

You know what the real problem is.... its pretty simple actually...

Sheldon is ashamed of who he is as a person......he like others is emotional and sensitive to things....(said by himself)

and clearly that is not what he tells others......

so there goes the argument of "does not give a fuck....speaks his mind....blah blah" into the gutter.....cause most of the time what he says are lies......

9 hours ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

1. Sheldon is so DARN CUTE :)

2. Sheldon is generous with money. He's not greedy and lends money to help you. 

3. Sheldon is not shallow. He does not care about how a girl looks. He is more fascinated by her mind. I for some reason like that, he can appreciate women for more than just their looks. I would say he is more 'evolved' than average guys.

4. He is unsentimental. Sheldon has the best and funniest  burns, put downs, one-liners and insults. 

5. He is so disconnected from the world, I end up feeling sorry for him and just wanna hug him.

6. Sheldon wears the coolest T-SHIRTS :icon_biggrin:.

7. Sheldon is NOT real, .Yes, he is a jerk intentionally or unintentionally. But watching him change is fascinating.Thats why  jerks on TV are popular. They are interesting.  Sheldon on TBBT is an exaggerted icon, like Barney on HIMYM.Just like everyone on Seinfeld was an awful person. Even Rachel on FRIENDS or Carrie on Sex and the City were narcisstistic and unlikable many times.Watching a nice sweet sensitive guy is BORING, if there is no one to cause conflict . IRL I wouldn't like any of these people. Honestly EVERYONE on TBBT except Amy is a jerk imo. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy them.

8. Sheldon is proud of who he is and is not afraid to show it off. He doesn't give a crap about what the world says. Sheldon is not ashamed to be an ultra geek. Its refreshing. Isn't that what TBBT was all about ? Being yourself and not changing just because society dictates you are different ?

9. Sheldon is unique and brings something new to the show- he is arrogant, brilliant, delusional, passionate, condescending, politically incorrect, stubborn and narcissitic as well as clueless, playful, childish and enthusiastic. I love his OCD, his knocks, his spot,  his model trains,  Fun With Flags, his relationship with his mom, friendship with Penny, his (former)rivalry with Will Wheaton &  Leslie Winkle or his softer romantic side when he is with Amy.

10.I hate  to say this, but without Sheldon, TBBT would be just  another generic  sitcom with boring cliche relationships,  sexist "I wanna get laid"  jokes, racist indian jokes, offensive jew jokes, homophobic jokes and dumb blonde jokes. Awful IMO.

I not defending a character or making anyone like him, just stating why I  love him, despite his dickish behavior.

4. Sheldon is unsentimental????

he is sentimental.... he himself said that...... basically he lies about him not being sentimental.....which disputes your point no 8.

also TBBT is not about being yourself.....cause if it were then sheldon would have admitted his feelings to everyone from the starting......  and not changing....really........sheldon has not changed???

Sheldon likes a girl because she is smart.......some other characters like a girl because she is pretty....

both seem the same to me..... they are attracted a girl because of a quality the girl possesses...... what is the difference........ nothing....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Leonard or Raj are Misogynistic as much as Sheldon?  I don't remember them telling a woman that they are full of eggs and only good for a short time, saying Penny can't living in the apartment when she is shedding her uterine wall (among other sexist comments), or another, telling a woman they are slaves to their body, which leads into the out and out racism Sheldon displays as the head jerk.

The failure here is to acknowledge that all the men, while definitely being written with misogynistic moments and as jerks, also have tender loving moments for their partners written for them.   If the men are written that bad, we'll have to say the writers hate men for giving three of the guys dominating or manipulative women, as their partners.  Yet, they also write the women as loving their partners.  

Did I ever say, that Sheldon is not a jerk ? They are all jerks. The difference is that Sheldon is socially unaware AND he routinely gets called out on his behavior. Whether he corrects his behavior or not is different. But the show never condones his behavior. That is why Amy broke up with him. Every character constantly points it out to him that he is in the wrong. Aren't there enough snide comments directed at him ? The writers don't condone it, ever.

But they never call out Raj and Leonard. Infact, everyone supports them.They are always victims. Difference is that unlike Sheldon, they are very much aware of what and why they are doing something. In my book, that makes a huge difference. And while, I can't predict the future, but up till now, Sheldon has never cheated on Amy.

Raj and Leonard have many times treated women as objects and the only value a woman has to them, is her looks.  No matter how kind, sweet, caring and loyal  Penny was, do you think if Penny was unattractive, Leonard would even cared about her in the pilot ? 

What I'm saying is that they are all jerks and the show should treat them as such. They can't pick and choose.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

Did I ever say, that Sheldon is not a jerk ? They are all jerks. The difference is that Sheldon is socially unaware AND he routinely gets called out on his behavior. Whether he corrects his behavior or not is different. But the show never condones his behavior. That is why Amy broke up with him. Every character constantly points it out to him that he is in the wrong. Aren't there enough snide comments directed at him ? The writers don't condone it, ever.

But they never call out Raj and Leonard. Infact, everyone supports them.They are always victims. Difference is that unlike Sheldon, they are very much aware of what and why they are doing something. In my book, that makes a huge difference. And while, I can't predict the future, but up till now, Sheldon has never cheated on Amy.

Raj and Leonard have many times treated women as objects and the only value a woman has to them, is her looks.  No matter how kind, sweet, caring and loyal  Penny was, do you think if Penny was unattractive, Leonard would even cared about her in the pilot ? 

What I'm saying is that they are all jerks and the show should treat them as such. They can't pick and choose.

would Sheldon have cared if Amy were dumb???

sheldon gets called out and Leonard does not get called out????  

really .... how many times does Penny gets pissed at leonard for the slightest mistake he makes.......

And how are sure that Leonard and Raj are aware of what they were doing?? Leonard got drunk and made a mistake.....how many times did Sheldon do that... a lot of times.......... what is the difference there.........nothing.....'

and Sheldon does'nt know ??? really.... when Bernie asks why Sheldon puts down howard so much.............. he gives a list of reasons as to why he puts howard down so much........... so clearly he knows he is putting people down .........

and sheldon is also clearly aware of what he doing when putting others down because they feel emotional........... because he himself said he is emotional.......so he is basically lying and putting down others.....while being fully aware of what  he is doing.....

Also let me give u an example of how the show treats Leonard vs Sheldon......

remember the episode about Leonard rewriting Penny's paper........ Leonard clearly had the good intention.....but he did not know how to show those......... and yet was called out for his behaviour....... imagine if Sheldon would have done it........

5 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

There's one thing you can say about Sheldon, he doesn't judge women, based on their looks.

and judging others because of their brains is ok??

and not only judging but putting down others too....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, vasu said:

feel sorry for sheldon as in we the audience should feel sorry for Sheldon........

the whole break up was a big story about how we as audience should feel sorry for Sheldon.............. and there are a lot of episodes in the previous seasons which had the same theme...

Far more likely that the break up was a catalyst for Sheldon to change. There was never going to be Sheldon "rocking Amy's world" without some turmoil to shake Sheldon up.

Sheldon: Hey, Thursday can’t get here soon enough. I’m taking off work to watch the original trilogy while I eat enough Star Wars cereal to choke a Wookiee.

Penny: Uh, sweetie, you do realize Thursday is Amy’s birthday.

Sheldon: And you do realize I bought my ticket when Amy and I were broken up? I hope you didn’t need anything in that case, ’cause it’s closed.

Penny: You guys just got back together. You might not want to ditch her on her birthday.

Leonard: I think Penny has a point. You can see it another day.

Sheldon: But someone might spoil the movie. No one can spoil Amy’s birthday for me. Surprise, she’s even older. Who saw that coming?

Penny: Aw, that’s nice. Put that on her cake.

Scene: Sheldon’s bedroom.

Arthur: Oh, great. This again.

Sheldon: Arthur, what brings you back?  .....

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Far more likely that the break up was a catalyst for Sheldon to change. There was never going to be Sheldon "rocking Amy's world" without some turmoil to shake Sheldon up.

were'nt most of the episodes of the same central theme ........Sheldon is so sad....because amy dumped him........

Yes it was a catalyst for Sheldon to change....but the central theme of the episodes dealing with that break up was same.... Sheldon is so sad........so so sad...

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

Just now, Stephen Hawking said:

I value intelligence over looks.

If that makes me shallow, then I'm guilty as charged.

both intelligence and looks are naturally obtained by birth.........

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vasu said:

@Serena_nyc1995

Really u say all this stuff about Sheldon just after the episode where Sheldon reveals he is a hoarder (that too only to just Amy) and is ASHAMED of being one...because it is completely against what is says he is and how people should behave....

does not look like someone how just does'nt give a fuck.............. if he does'nt he certainly would not have cared and openly admitted to everyone he is a hoarded....

And also if Sheldon does not give a fuck....then why does he have trouble telling people he likes them........ (someone mentioned him not able to tell leonard he loves him or something along those lines)

So clearly sheldon cares what others think about him.... and basically lies about himself to every other person he knows......

@Serena_nyc1995  how come u like Sheldon when he got drunk and slept with the geology book..... yet u do not like leonard because leonard got drunk and kissed another girl......

because both are exactly the same things...... they got drunk and did things they did not want to do.....

And also Sheldon does not care about progress of science or anything.......he just wants fame.... which was clearly evident in the episode where leonard disproves his element and he whines about losing all the fame he was about to get....

Sheldon never was ashamed of his geeky interests or hobbies EVER. He never cared about how ridiculous he looked playing D&D, obsessing over comic books, loving model trains, Fun With Flags, 4D Chess or spending the night talking about Flatlands. Whereas Leonard, Howard and Raj are very much aware of how ridiculous they look. They always make self deprecating comments like 'we are pathetic' or that 'no girls will accept us'. Sheldon never does make those comments. O Maybe 1 or 2 times he said that, but those would be the exceptions, not the rule.

Sheldon has never really altered his geeky interests to get girls, he has never lied to get laid and when he cares about others, its only those people who he is closest to. He still says what is on his mind most of the time. He regrets it later usually when someone points it out to him. He is a bad liar and while the hoarding was OOC for him, it is again an exception, not the rule. 

If you pick up 1 example of Sheldon being ashamed, I can show 10 others where he is being totally callous. 

To the world at large and the society in general, he still does not care. COMPARED to others, Sheldon cares the least. Its all relative. He may try to be a better person, but he never apologizes for his geeky hobbies. 

Also the geology book does not count haha. Sheldon never cheated on Amy. If he cheats in the future, I'll take back this sentence.

Besides, I get it. You HATE Sheldon. We all like what we like. I don't know why you even care about nitpicking everything. Sheldon is one of my favorite characters and I'm NEVER gonna change my mind lol. So please, continue the Sheldon hate , but leave me out of it.

Edited by Serena_nyc1995
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, vasu said:

were'nt most of the episodes of the same central theme ........Sheldon is so sad....because amy dumped him........

He might have been suffering here or there.  The point was to bring about change. Only his meemaw was ever going to feel sorry for him. 

Pain is a great motivator.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

Sheldon never was ashamed of his geeky interests or hobbies EVER. He never cared about how ridiculous he looked playing D&D, obsessing over comic books, loving model trains, Fun With Flags, 4D Chess or spending the night talking about Flatlands. Whereas Leonard, Howard and Raj are very much aware of how ridiculous they look. They always make self deprecating comments like 'we are pathetic' or that 'no girls will accept us'. Sheldon never does make those comments. O Maybe 1 or 2 times he said that, but those would be the exceptions, not the rule.

Sheldon has never really altered his geeky interests to get girls, he has never lied to get laid and when he cares about others, its only those people who he is closest to. He still says what is on his mind most of the time. He regrets it later usually when someone points it out to him. He is a bad liar and while the hoarding was OOC for him, it is again an exception, not the rule. 

If you pick up 1 example of Sheldon being ashamed, I can show 10 others where he is being totally callous. 

To the world at large and the society in general, he still does not care. COMPARED to others, Sheldon cares the least. Its all relative. He may try to be a better person, but he never apologizes for his geeky hobbies. 

Also the geology book does not count. Sheldon never cheated on Amy. 

Besides, I get it. You HATE Sheldon. We all like what we like. I don't know why you even care about nitpicking everything. Sheldon is one of my favorite characters and I'm NEVER gonna change my mind lol. So please, continue the Sheldon hate , but leave me out of it.

why is only getting girls the issue here??

is only getting laid your point of argument here....  I am talking a whole bigger picture here .......

Sheldon is not a bad liar...... he has lied quite successfully a lot times............  of course a big thing like hoarding (a secret about how he is as a person) is OOC because it does not support your argument.........

Again Raj Leonard and Howard.....don't want others to see they are geeky.... Sheldon does not want others to see he is emotional..... isn't it the same....all of them are ashamed of who they are.......

and why is it relative........ so is ok to care little less....but not ok to care a lot......

and Leonard is now not hiding his geeky habits from Penny.... just like Sheldon is opening more up to Amy and others..... which is growth for both of them....

And finally I don't hate Sheldon.... I am just refuting some of the claims you are making......... as simple as that.....

and I am not nitpicking... I am just painting a bigger picture here...

14 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Not completely.

Intelligence can be developed.

and looks cannot???

8 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

He might have been suffering here or there.  The point was to bring about change. Only his meemaw was ever going to feel sorry for him

Pain is a great motivator.

really?? why did Leonard and Penny decide to stay with Sheldon then??

and you say pain and suffering..... isn't that exactly what I said.... that they showed sheldon was feeling sad....which is asking us the audience to feel sorry for him............ and I never said that was the only reason...... and I agree that point was to bring about a change.....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, vasu said:

why is only getting girls the issue here??

is only getting laid your point of argument here....  I am talking a whole bigger picture here .......

Sheldon is not a bad liar...... he has lied quite successfully a lot times............  of course a big thing like hoarding (a secret about how he is as a person) is OOC because it does not support your argument.........

Again Raj Leonard and Howard.....don't want others to see they are geeky.... Sheldon does not want others to see he is emotional..... isn't it the same....all of them are ashamed of who they are.......

and why is it relative........ so is ok to care little less....but not ok to care a lot......

and Leonard is now not hiding his geeky habits from Penny.... just like Sheldon is opening more up to Amy and others..... which is growth for both of them....

And finally I don't hate Sheldon.... I am just refuting some of the claims you are making......... as simple as that.....

and I am not nitpicking... I am just painting a bigger picture here...

and looks cannot???

I'm not talking about the bigger picture at all. I'm SPECIFICALLY  talking about Sheldon being a geek. He is not ashamed of being a geek and having geeky interests. He never altered his quirky hobbies to be accepted by society. Whereas Leonard, Howard and Raj are ashamed. You didn't refute anything. You misunderstood the entire point.

Edited by Serena_nyc1995
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

Also the geology book does not count. Sheldon never cheated on Amy. 

But have the other guys really changed? They still do all the same geeky things they have done before. Just because they may be more aware doesn't change anything. Also Sheldon made the biggest change and the most OOC thing IMO that has happened on the show. He had coitus with Amy. And regards to your comment about the others lying to get laid that never was any interest to him. Although he did brag to Kripke about using that rocket next to his bed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrismo said:

But have the other guys really changed? They still do all the same geeky things they have done before. Just because they may be more aware doesn't change anything. Also Sheldon made the biggest change and the most OOC thing IMO that has happened on the show. He had coitus with Amy. And regards to your comment about the others lying to get laid that never was any interest to him. Although he did brag to Kripke about using that rocket next to his bed.

Sheldon had sex with Amy because he loved her and felt that the time was right, not because he was being pressured by society or what is socially acceptable.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

So can looks.

I'm not sure it can.

Looks can be "enhance" surgically, or by the use of makeup/cosmetics, but I don't think they can be "developed".

27 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Like not dressing like forever 63.

That's appearance, not looks.

8 minutes ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

Sheldon had sex with Amy because he loved her and felt that the time was right, not because he was being pressured by society or what is socially acceptable.

But it is mentioned on the show repeatedly the lack of interest in sex and his sanitary issues with that and a multitude of other things. So the time was magically right as a birthday gift. Is that love or was that easier than finding her a gift?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Actually, he didn't brag about using the rocket.

He just misunderstood, when Kripke asked "You guys ever use any toys?"

I guess that's true but the whole pretending to have sex with Amy he was aware of.

• Like 1

As stated on the show he only did it as a birthday gift and he knew he had to give up the goods cause that one of the reasons that amy broke up with him. If he loved her like you say then they should be doing it like bunnies and not waiting for her next birthday. To me it feels like he got it out the way and doesnt have to think about or do it for another year. This is another example of selfish sheldon and only thinking about himself, not considering amy feelings because we all know that amy wants more. Its an insult in my book. But it Sheldon so it's romantic and can do no wrong even when tptb hints that's the case.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic