Tensor

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

I am very excited about Simon's movie. But it won't come out until August right ??

I was wondering what Howard's storyline would be in 9x23.I hope it is something good, not related to just Raj. 

I don't expect anything big for Simon in 9.23; he apparently is still promoting the movie in UK, so I guess it will be a very light episode for him, just a couple of scenes....More or less what happened for Melissa in 9.21 (she was promoting her own movie when they shot that episode); according to the TR, she appeared just at the beginning and at the end of the episode and had no role in the plot.

Edited by mirs1

2 hours ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

I am very excited about Simon's movie. But it won't come out until August right ??

I was wondering what Howard's storyline would be in 9x23.I hope it is something good, not related to just Raj. 

Simon's movie is releasing in Europe in April and May and then in the USA in August.   So yes he is out promoting right now and may be limited in story for the penultimate episode.

What is interesting is that I was reading an interview with Christine Baranski about her role in The Good Wife and she said she has TWO episodes to tape for The Big Bang Theory so she is taping next Tuesday I guess (this episode in production).

So maybe an appearance on BrainDead?

I don't know. I'm in no rush after this. I have to now go and do two Big Bang episodes and that's about all I can do. I really want the summer after this.

....Christine Baranski quote from Hollywood Reporter

12 minutes ago, stardustmelody said:

Simon's movie is releasing in Europe in April and May and then in the USA in August.   So yes he is out promoting right now and may be limited in story for the penultimate episode.

What is interesting is that I was reading an interview with Christine Baranski about her role in The Good Wife and she said she has TWO episodes to tape for The Big Bang Theory so she is taping next Tuesday I guess (this episode in production).

Hmm, that's very interesting...Something is going to happen with Lenny then. Not something bad, just something that will end the season on a Lenny note.

20 minutes ago, stardustmelody said:

So it sounds like #23 & #24 are a two-part story?   

Leonard's dad can't be presented as admirable, surely? If we think of Beverley as having ruined Leonard's life (and I, personally, don't) then, at the very least, the man stood by and let it happen. At worst, he's a philanderer who's paid sod-all attention to his son. Beverley may be bone-chillingly clinical, but at the very least she was present. If Leonard's dad shows up, says a few kind words to Leonard and is presented as some sort of avenging figure (with the bonus of nookie with Mary as his little Man Prize, perhaps?), my God, I will be pissed. It would be a nice reversal if Leonard saw his father as a clinging, adulterous shitheel and said to his mother 'you know, Mom, you shouldn't have put up with him for so long. I'm judging you, kinda'. Who knows, a little critical analysis would be the way to Mummy's heart. Give it a try anyway, little Oedipus*.

*Well, I mean, there is one obvious Oedipus complex already on the show, but at least with Howard that's basically canon. Leonard's Oedipal issues are slightly subtler- though the show actually did reflect them in the episode where Penny comes across Beverley's book and Leonard uses his tales of neglect to score sex points.

Really Beverley didn't ruin Leonard's life with all the put downs and books written about his personal and private life, no hugs or any show of love. That is traumatic for any kid growing up. I'm sorry I don't agree and not having that.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I don't think that Leonard's father should be shown positively either, especially with what we know so far about him.  Beverly was cold and critical, and his father seemed generally uninvolved.  He stepped aside and did his own thing with work and paid little attention to his children.  So what is worse?  The overly critical parent that was there, or the parent that couldn't be bothered?  Don't get me wrong, they are both bad, but I'd give the edge to being worse to Leonard's father.

I'm empathetic to Leonard, he had a rough start with a childhood like that.  I guess we all come to a point in our lives though, were we have to decide if we are going to be held down by our pasts or rise above it.  For the most part, I think Leonard had a pretty positive outlook and was generally good natured, so he did well.  This I note, especially at the beginning of the show.  Leonard seemed like a pretty positive happy guy.

I still think that Penny is going to see some sort of parallel with Leonard's dad and girlfriend and her and Leonard.  Well I'm guessing heavily here.  Who knows if they'll even cast his girlfriend.  But what if she's a real "stepford" wife, and Leonard really likes her.  That may freak Penny the hell out.

How is Leonard father worst when we have little info in his involvement in his children's life. We know he worked away from home alot, doesn't make him a bad parent. Until we get more info which paints him as a bad parent like what we know of Beverley then judgment is reserved.

42 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Leonard's dad can't be presented as admirable, surely? If we think of Beverley as having ruined Leonard's life (and I, personally, don't) then, at the very least, the man stood by and let it happen. At worst, he's a philanderer who's paid sod-all attention to his son. Beverley may be bone-chillingly clinical, but at the very least she was present. If Leonard's dad shows up, says a few kind words to Leonard and is presented as some sort of avenging figure (with the bonus of nookie with Mary as his little Man Prize, perhaps?), my God, I will be pissed. It would be a nice reversal if Leonard saw his father as a clinging, adulterous shitheel and said to his mother 'you know, Mom, you shouldn't have put up with him for so long. I'm judging you, kinda'. Who knows, a little critical analysis would be the way to Mummy's heart. Give it a try anyway, little Oedipus*.

*Well, I mean, there is one obvious Oedipus complex already on the show, but at least with Howard that's basically canon. Leonard's Oedipal issues are slightly subtler- though the show actually did reflect them in the episode where Penny comes across Beverley's book and Leonard uses his tales of neglect to score sex points.

Egad, you are quick to judge.  I'd not base too much on what Beverly has said. Leonard has barely mentioned him and has never said a negative word. There are really no substantiated facts other than we have not seen him yet. I had the impression that Leonard kind of felt sorry for him.

7 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Egad, you are quick to judge.  I'd not base too much on what Beverly has said. Leonard has barely mentioned him and has never said a negative word. There are really no substantiated facts other than we have not seen him yet. I had the impression that Leonard kind of felt sorry for him.

"Quick to Judge"   I thought that was the Modus Operandi around here...  Lol!

On 4/14/2016 at 3:14 PM, vonmar said:

From CBS: http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=45042

CBS ANNOUNCES 2015-16 SEASON FINALE STORYLINES

THURSDAY, MAY 12

THE BIG BANG THEORY (8:00-8:30PM)

Judd Hirsch is introduced as Leonard’s (Johnny Galecki) father. Also, Leonard’s mother, Beverly Hofstadter (Christine Baranski), and Sheldon’s mother, Mary Cooper (Laurie Metcalf), return.

:scratchhead:this is me. Really didn't want to see Beverly again this season. Hope for good things for Leonard with his father on screen.  Here to keeping my expectations very low so not to be disappointed.

Thanks for posting vonmar.

24 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

I don't think that Leonard's father should be shown positively either, especially with what we know so far about him.  Beverly was cold and critical, and his father seemed generally uninvolved.  He stepped aside and did his own thing with work and paid little attention to his children.  So what is worse?  The overly critical parent that was there, or the parent that couldn't be bothered?  Don't get me wrong, they are both bad, but I'd give the edge to being worse to Leonard's father.

Except that is only guesswork. Perhaps he was too busy with work or perhaps he was too busy with women. Perhaps he is not talked about much because he was too introverted and docile or perhaps he was just out competed by a domineering Beverly. There is not much to go by yet.

On 17-3-2016 at 9:11 AM, wowbagger said:

Perfectly true. But....I think one of us has misunderstood the function of a forum discussing spoilers. It might well be me. I thought that anything in the nature of a reaction to a casting announcement, speculation as to its outcome, and an expression of desire as to the nature of said outcome- well, I thought all that was part of the acceptable use of a forum such as this one. I am happy to be enlightened. Maybe the proper use is only to nod sagaciously as we receive spoilers, and then discuss them in the privacy of our own skulls. Sorry, I know that was harsh, but I actually don't quite understand this criticism.

Again, perfectly true. My meaning behind the remark 'We all know Kaley Cuoco is very pretty' was: 'We all know Kaley Cuoco (the actor) is very pretty.  I forbore to point out that this is because I believe that Cuoco (the actor) and Penny (the character) have far more to bring to the table than said pulchritude, because I have already made this observation in other posts.

I thought that the shorter remark basically captured the longer (and surely more tedious) explanation, but hey- now you get both! And- well- being tedious has never stopped me before.

Awww, thanks, JE! (If this post was meant to be a response to the above- if not, my apologies.)

Thank you for your kind reply. And I love tedious stuff anyway!

46 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Egad, you are quick to judge. 

(nods emphatically)

But in all seriousness, my post was actually more about 'hey, how come Beverley gets so much stick for her treatment of Leonard, when we have a parent we've not seen before who stepped out on his wife, and didn't seem to have been a huge presence in his son's life? How about unloading on Deadbeat Dad, instead of clinical-hypercritical-but-still-there Mom? Why does the mother get so much criticism when, from where I sit, the father seems just as blameworthy?'

(Of course,for all I know, my Lenny friends may have been theorising about the shittiness of Pere Hofstadter in the Lenny threads for a while, and I just don't know about it!)

Just because she was around doesn't make her a good mom. This is the same woman that didn't invite her son to her 60th birthday and came to sheldon birthday party, not to see her son. Yeah she a great mom. I'm sure Leonard will be happy if he never ever had any contact with her. Oh and on the lenny thread they hope he is nothing like the bitch and she can burn in hell.

Edit. And of course non lenny fans love her and stick up for her because she gets on with Sheldon and is cold like him. They both deserve each other.

31 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

(nods emphatically)

But in all seriousness, my post was actually more about 'hey, how come Beverley gets so much stick for her treatment of Leonard, when we have a parent we've not seen before who stepped out on his wife, and didn't seem to have been a huge presence in his son's life? How about unloading on Deadbeat Dad, instead of clinical-hypercritical-but-still-there Mom? Why does the mother get so much criticism when, from where I sit, the father seems just as blameworthy?'

(Of course,for all I know, my Lenny friends may have been theorising about the shittiness of Pere Hofstadter in the Lenny threads for a while, and I just don't know about it!)

Yes, well the fans only watch and....

Penny: Leonard, what time does your mom’s plane get in?

Leonard: I don’t know, some time tomorrow morning.

Penny: Don’t you want to know for sure?

Leonard: No need to. As soon as she flies into California airspace, I’ll feel a disturbance in the Force.

I tend to jump to this being a reference to a Sith Lord. Silly me but that first aired before New Awakening.

If Leonard's father is to blame we actually have not heard it from Leonard. Leonard does not seem to have the same feelings as Howard has towards his Dad.

I read the quoted scene as a reference to Luke thinking he is endangering the mission because Vader can sense his presence as he senses Vader's presence.

11353016_498175510337067_1521747888_n.jp

Edited by djsurrey

Leonard has been craving the attention and love of his parents all his life so it might not take much for him to suddenly change his opinion of them.

It also all depends in what context they are arriving or for what purpose. If they are coming to sort out their relationship with their son then I could understand that, if they are coming to shake things up for Lenny or maybe question the living situation as a part of that I don't see why Leonard should be as receptive to their influence.

Despite various issues and problems his wife, his best friend/roommate and the rest of his friends have been there for Leonard more than his parents ever have. If I was Leonard I would take anything my parents said with a pinch of salt and consider it very carefully before acting on anything they suggested.

This is why I have a bit of a hard time seeing some sort of redemption journey and shake up being on the cards. I don't think they have the sort of relationship with their son yet (if that is what they are coming to do) to exert that sort of change right now.

My feelings of the whole parents arriving will have little to do with Leonard or lenny. But probably to do with Sheldon & Penny. Cause its the sheldon show. Sheldon interacting with Beverley and dissing leonard & penny, Leonard's dad complaining about how leonard doesnt support her (icon_rolleyes) The worst senerio, they all gang up on Leonard. Wouldn't suprise me. Hopefully Mary might take his side and mean it unlike Amy.

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

(nods emphatically)

Because in some cases, the neglect of an absent parent is much better than experiencing the emotional abuse from the one who's there.

4 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Actually, Leonard has be negative toward his dad.  Leonard was very vocal about how much time his father spent with the Etruscan boy, instead of himself.  

39 minutes ago, Judith said:

Out of curiosity, what has Leonard's dad done? Did he abandon them? Did he get divorced and then not keep contact with Leonard? Or we don't know? (I don't keep track on what's going on with Leonard)

He cheated on Leonard's mother.  He also borrowed the hugging machine Leonard built, suggesting he, like Leonard, didn't have physical or emotional contact with Beverly (not that this excuses his cheating).   He also spent a lot of time away from the family, working out in the field (again may be related to his relationship with his wife).  Leonard complained specifically about the bones of an Etruscan (a tribe the Romans conquered) boy, who got more father-son time with Leonard's father, then Leonard did.

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Actually, Leonard has be negative toward his dad.  Leonard was very vocal about how much time his father spent with the Etruscan boy, instead of himself.  

He cheated on Leonard's mother.  He also borrowed the hugging machine Leonard built, suggesting he, like Leonard, didn't have physical or emotional contact with Beverly (not that this excuses his cheating).   He also spent a lot of time away from the family, working out in the field (again may be related to his relationship with his wife).  Leonard complained specifically about the bones of an Etruscan (a tribe the Romans conquered) boy, who got more father-son time with Leonard's father, then Leonard did.

I had forgotten about that.

Leonard: It’s not our fault. Our dads never did anything like this with us.

Penny: What, never?

Leonard: My dad was an anthropologist. The only father-son time he spent was with a 2,000-year-old skeleton of an Etruscan boy. I hated that kid.

I imagine they will expand on it. Was he focused on work, running from Beverly, running from fatherhood or is he on the spectrum?