Jump to content

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9


Tensor

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Perhaps he does not often travel.

As an anthropologist, I should think he would travel quite a bit.

9 hours ago, nibbler747 said:

I don't think that Leonard's father should be shown positively either, especially with what we know so far about him.

Of course, we only know Beverly's side of the story, which, even if it's all true, doesn't portray her in a good light either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

This is the same woman that didn't invite her son to her 60th birthday and came to Sheldon birthday party, not to see her son.

And couldn't be bothered to tell him she was divorcing his father, or that his dog had died.

Not to mention the experiments she performed on him, when he was a child.

5 hours ago, Judith said:

Out of curiosity, what has Leonard's dad done?

We know he worked a lot, but, if that's what it took to put food on the table, and clothes on their backs, I wouldn't condemn him for it.

We know he had an affair, but we also know that Beverly hadn't had sex with him in eight years.

4 hours ago, Tensor said:

(again may be related to his relationship with his wife).

Or the need to feed and clothe his family.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think that Leonard's father was much better than his mother, TBH. In the first seasons, when Leonard was referring to the weird way he was raised, for example the rules about papers at Christmas, he didn't say that it was all his mother's idea, it was a family tradition. When Leonard built the hug machine, it was the clear sign he needed a hug, his father preferred to borrow the hug machine to get some affection for himself rather than hugging his son. He was not a saint, at best a very weak man trapped in a wrong marriage that preferred to stay away from home as much as he could leaving his child (who couldn't leave) in the hands of an unaffective mother. That being said, I'm pretty sure he will be depicted very differently in the finale; when his presence in the show was announced, TPTB said that it was time to see the other half that made Leonard the person he is (or something along those lines) so I think his dad (BTW, do we know his first name?) will be depicted as more similar to Leonard than not. He will have many of Leonard's good qualities and maybe the divorce and the new girlfriend (who knows if we will see her too, it's going to be crowded out there....) have transformed him in a more confident person.

Edited by mirs1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect Leonard's parents are here to teach Sheldon that his "once a year birthday sex gift" ain't gonna cut the mustard and bring about a change in Shamy's bedroom antics. Beverly has been very candid about her sex life (for procreation I believe) and I think, with the comparison, herewith lies Sheldon's epiphany.

His parents may also possibly screw up Leonard's marriage as an added "bonus" but I doubt the focus will be on Lenny, not when their storyline is competing with the big, big draw of Sheldon's sex life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

Because in some cases, the neglect of an absent parent is much better than experiencing the emotional abuse from the one who's there.

Hmmmmmm. I don't disagree, but I am uncomfortable with letting the man off the hook for, at best, allowing the wife he knew to be cold and hyperanalytical (and even hypercritical) to mess up their child. Between 'cold, hyperanalytical, unable to switch her brain off and treat her son as a child rather than a test case' and 'physically absent, just as work-obsessed as his wife (cf: Etruscan boy), piggybacking on his son's inventions to get some affection rather than, say, actually extending some of said affection to his actual son, and furthermore cheating on his wife'....I really don't see that Pere Hofstadter is any great prize, or, frankly, any better than his wife. 

Leonard has much to explore regarding both his parents with that shrink, is what I am saying. Ahem, show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect Leonard's parents are here to teach Sheldon that his "once a year birthday sex gift" ain't gonna cut the mustard and bring about a change in Shamy's bedroom antics. Beverly has been very candid about her sex life (for procreation I believe) and I think, with the comparison, herewith lies Sheldon's epiphany.

His parents may also possibly screw up Leonard's marriage as an added "bonus" but I doubt the focus will be on Lenny, not when their storyline is competing with the big, big draw of Sheldon's sex life.

^^^

That's what I kinda said a few posts ago. It will have little to do with Leonard or lenny. It's the sheldon show now and as usual he will steal the limelight from Leonard and make it all about him and we get everyone supporting him while Leonard gets no love or a look in. Like I also said I hope Mary sticks up for him because she is the only one I can see taking his side. I hope one day Leonard will wake up and realised he doesn't need these people in his life and go on self awareness journey and find himself. The happiest I've seen Leonard this season was when he was skipping with those girls and said he didn't care and he is happy. Go Leonard, go find happiness, the world is your oyster.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

^^^

That's what I kinda said a few posts ago. It will have little to do with Leonard or lenny. It's the sheldon show now and as usual he will steal the limelight from Leonard and make it all about him and we get everyone supporting him while Leonard gets no love or a look in. Like I also said I hope Mary sticks up for him because she is the only one I can see taking his side. I hope one day Leonard will wake up and realised he doesn't need these people in his life and go on self awareness journey and find himself. The happiest I've seen Leonard this season was when he was skipping with those girls and said he didn't care and he is happy. Go Leonard, go find happiness, the world is your oyster.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I think - and hope! - it will be about both Lenny and Shamy.

True, Sheldon is getting much attention, and I fully understand that can be frustrating to fans who only ship Lenny or Leonard. Trouble is: It won't help getting mad at the character. It's the writers who decide. And they make their decisions at least partly based on what the audience hopes, wants, expects. There are many Sheldon and Shamy fans out there.

On the other hand: The Shamy development has really been extremely slow over the years, so with the major steps in season 8 and 9 the enthusiasm in the Shamy fandom grew immensely. After all, it took them 4 years til their first kiss.
Yes, I know, Lenny had many ups and downs - being together, breaking up, being in different relationships, got back together - I don't say life (aka show :shy:) has been easy on these two. But at least there WAS something going on, there was some development. For years now a kiss between Lenny is nothing a whole fandom will talk about for days (or even weeks) - but until season 9 that was the case in the Shamy fandom, and it still is. Because it was (still is) so rare. Which makes it hard for the shippers since they have to be so patient. But it also makes it very valuable, like a pearl you only find once in a million.  :shy:

As a Shamy who also ships Lenny (yes, that is possible!) I enjoy both couples a lot. What I am concerned about as far as Lenny is concerned is Penny. After she told Leonard that she hated her job but wanted to do the grown-up thing I was about to shout: NO!
Because this will never work. Doing something you hate (not only dislike) day after day will destroy you. And it made it much easier for me to understand why she is so strangely distant to Leonard sometimes. He is living his dream as far as his job is concerned, he loves his job. And she hates hers. He loves to talk about his projects. She listens and feels even worse. Yes, she is making more money than him. But he is happy in his job and she is not. Money cannot make up for this.

I kinda hope this will be something that will be addressed in the last two episodes, too. Among other things of course. The future may still hold a lot.

As for Lenny: The next steps should be Leonard realizing that he does not need his parents approval anymore and Penny finding a job (does not have to be acting) she really loves and his successful in.

As for Shamy: Propose to her and marry her, you brilliant fool! :shy:

As for both Shamy and Lenny: Talk about and get a move on the living arrangements!

And for all of them and us: Let's have a lot of fun along the way! :good2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wowbagger said:

(nods emphatically)

But in all seriousness, my post was actually more about 'hey, how come Beverley gets so much stick for her treatment of Leonard, when we have a parent we've not seen before who stepped out on his wife, and didn't seem to have been a huge presence in his son's life? How about unloading on Deadbeat Dad, instead of clinical-hypercritical-but-still-there Mom? Why does the mother get so much criticism when, from where I sit, the father seems just as blameworthy?'

(Of course,for all I know, my Lenny friends may have been theorising about the shittiness of Pere Hofstadter in the Lenny threads for a while, and I just don't know about it!)

Personally I feel a bad influence is worse than no influence. Time will eventually destroy a building but cannon fire will do it much quicker

All we have on Papa Hofstadter is a couple oflines of dialogue from years ago and with TBBT lack of continuity they can and probably will be forgotten or ignored

Edited by JE7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonstar17 said:

^^^

That's what I kinda said a few posts ago. It will have little to do with Leonard or lenny. It's the sheldon show now and as usual he will steal the limelight from Leonard and make it all about him and we get everyone supporting him while Leonard gets no love or a look in. Like I also said I hope Mary sticks up for him because she is the only one I can see taking his side. I hope one day Leonard will wake up and realised he doesn't need these people in his life and go on self awareness journey and find himself. The happiest I've seen Leonard this season was when he was skipping with those girls and said he didn't care and he is happy. Go Leonard, go find happiness, the world is your oyster.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I suspect Mary will be there to give her blessing to Sheldon "giving the milk away" rather than as support for Leonard.

I see Leonard being a mini-me of his father and Penny questioning her choices. My bet is a double whammy cliff-hanger for the finale; Penny taking off (for the Summer hiatus) "to think" and Sheldon taking Amy to his bedroom. That should bring all you "not watching Season 10-ers" back in the fall.

Hey, perhaps this is the first time my predictions actually come true? Who knows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

43 minutes ago, Radar said:


On the other hand: The Shamy development has really been extremely slow over the years, so with the major steps in season 8 and 9 the enthusiasm in the Shamy fandom grew immensely. After all, it took them 4 years til their first kiss.

And do you realize it took the exact same amount of time from first date to Sheldon and Penny telling their SO they loved them?   From 2.01 to 6.08 for Leonard and Penny and 4.01 to 8.08 for Amy and Sheldon.  

 

43 minutes ago, Radar said:

Yes, I know, Lenny had many ups and downs - being together, breaking up, being in different relationships, got back together - I don't say life (aka show :shy:) has been easy on these two. But at least there WAS something going on, there was some development.

To quote some of my Shamy friends, when I pointed out Amy and Sheldon had almost as much time and plots in season six, "The time doesn't matter, they wrote them terribly."   Well, since season seven, it seems like the consensus here on the board is that they have written Lenny terribly, except for rare occasions.   

 

43 minutes ago, Radar said:

For years now a kiss between Lenny is nothing a whole fandom will talk about for days (or even weeks) - but until season 9 that was the case in the Shamy fandom, and it still is. Because it was (still is) so rare. Which makes it hard for the shippers since they have to be so patient. But it also makes it very valuable, like a pearl you only find once in a million.  :shy:

While Lenny's have to listen to Penny be snarky, and not be happy, and support Sheldon, while Leonard was cheating and lying about kissing another woman.  Meanwhile, they were both hiding things having to do with finances from their partner.  Glad we're getting development.

43 minutes ago, Radar said:


As a Shamy

...snip

up for this.

But this is development, shouldn't we like this?

43 minutes ago, Radar said:

I kinda hope this will be something that will be addressed in the last two episodes, too. Among other things of course. The future may still hold a lot.

A large portion of all of that has to do with living arrangements.

 

43 minutes ago, Radar said:

As for Lenny: The next steps should be Leonard realizing that he does not need his parents approval anymore and Penny finding a job (does not have to be acting) she really loves and his successful in.

As for Shamy: Propose to her and marry her, you brilliant fool! :shy:

As for both Shamy and Lenny: Talk about and get a move on the living arrangements!

And for all of them and us: Let's have a lot of fun along the way! :good2:

I read something like this.... oh yeah:

43 minutes ago, Radar said:

Trouble is: It won't help getting mad at the character. It's the writers who decide. And they make their decisions at least partly based on what the audience hopes, wants, expects. There are many Sheldon and Shamy fans out there.

Which, as has been shown by their reduced amount of screen time, plots, and the writers favorite ploy of putting them behind a kitchen island or something similar,  means the writers seemingly don't care about the Lenny couple.  Let's have a redo of the wedding, that way they could have another interruption by Sheldon, his having a splinter or another boo-boo.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

And do you realize it took the exact same amount of time from first date to Sheldon and Penny telling their SO they loved them?   From 2.01 to 6.08 for Leonard and Penny and 4.01 to 8.08 for Amy and Sheldon.

Odd isn't it, that it was Penny and Sheldon (not the two guys or the two girls, but one of each), who took that long to say they loved their SOs.

Actually, now that I come to think of it, didn't Sheldon just beat Amy to the ILY?

Edited by Stephen Hawking
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Odd isn't it, that it was Penny and Sheldon (not the two guys or the two girls,, but one of each), who took that long to say they loved their SOs.

Actually, now that I come to think of it, didn't Sheldon just beat Amy to the ILY?

I can see those two, as the are the ones that move the slowest, emotionally, in their relationship. Yeah, Sheldon was the first.  But I think that was the result of Amy trying to assure Sheldon she wasn't expecting one back when she said it.  If she had just went ahead and said it, she would have been first.  But, I basically see that situation as mutual ILYs, Sheldon knew what she was going to say, hence the use of the word "too". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^^

That's what I kinda said a few posts ago. It will have little to do with Leonard or lenny. It's the sheldon show now and as usual he will steal the limelight from Leonard and make it all about him and we get everyone supporting him while Leonard gets no love or a look in. Like I also said I hope Mary sticks up for him because she is the only one I can see taking his side. I hope one day Leonard will wake up and realised he doesn't need these people in his life and go on self awareness journey and find himself. The happiest I've seen Leonard this season was when he was skipping with those girls and said he didn't care and he is happy. Go Leonard, go find happiness, the world is your oyster.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I suspect Mary will be there to give her blessing to Sheldon "giving the milk away" rather than as support for Leonard.

I see Leonard being a mini-me of his father and Penny questioning her choices. My bet is a double whammy cliff-hanger for the finale; Penny taking off (for the Summer hiatus) "to think" and Sheldon taking Amy to his bedroom. That should bring all you "not watching Season 10-ers" back in the fall.

Hey, perhaps this is the first time my predictions actually come true? Who knows?

I have no doubt that Penny will fuck off at the season final. That's what she good at running away. I hope Leonard moves on by the time she comes back but I doubt it.

#flyawayleonard

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Tensor said:

 

And do you realize it took the exact same amount of time from first date to Sheldon and Penny telling their SO they loved them?   From 2.01 to 6.08 for Leonard and Penny and 4.01 to 8.08 for Amy and Sheldon.  

 

To quote some of my Shamy friends, when I pointed out Amy and Sheldon had almost as much time and plots in season six, "The time doesn't matter, they wrote them terribly."   Well, since season seven, it seems like the consensus here on the board is that they have written Lenny terribly, except for rare occasions.   

 

While Lenny's have to listen to Penny be snarky, and not be happy, and support Sheldon, while Leonard was cheating and lying about kissing another woman.  Meanwhile, they were both hiding things having to do with finances from their partner.  Glad we're getting development.

But this is development, shouldn't we like this?

A large portion of all of that has to do with living arrangements.

 

I read something like this.... oh yeah:

Which, as has been shown by their reduced amount of screen time, plots, and the writers favorite ploy of putting them behind a kitchen island or something similar,  means the writers seemingly don't care about the Lenny couple.  Let's have a redo of the wedding, that way they could have another interruption by Sheldon, his having a splinter or another boo-boo.


 

Oh wow, sorry that you hate Sheldon so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I never doubted it, once I'd seen The Pulled Groin Extrapolation.

Because of the karate chop? I guess it showed he had some feelings for her and didn't want his best friend getting involved with her but I am not sure it was the first sign of love from my perspective. Though fair play to your foresight if you did think that back then.

I like all the characters on the show in different ways and some episodes have a strong focus on them others don't. I think it's difficult to cram so much in a show that runs for like only 20 mins excluding ads with such a group of talented actors at the top of their game. They must be doing something right considering it's appeal is so strong even after 9 seasons.

We become so invested in a particular character or storyline that it's only natural that sometimes we feel maybe our favorite character needs a bit more attention from the writers or more of a focus storyline wise. I think in a way that's a testament to all involved in the show that they have managed to create something as loved and sometimes often debated as this.

Edited by Jonny83
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jonny83 said:

I guess it showed he had some feelings for her and didn't want his best friend getting involved with her but I am not sure it was the first sign of love from my perspective.

It was such a change from The Desperation Emanation, where he was almost pleading with Leonard to "Take her off my hands", that I just knew he loved her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little insight into Leonards father.  When Beverly mentioned they had sex to consummate the marriage and for procreation only, she said they both wrote papers about their sex lives available at Princeton. And her paper was the only one worth reading (lol!).  So perhaps they are both a bit clinical and removed.

What I find curious is if they only had children out of scientific curiousity, then why three kids?  My first inclination would be one.  Two if the wanted both genders.  Why the third?

Also Leonard mentioning walking in on his mother paddling his father doesn't really imply they didn't have some sort of sex life.   Maybe they were like Fraiser and Lilith that way.

I'm very curious on how his father will be presented. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

A little insight into Leonards father.  When Beverly mentioned they had sex to consummate the marriage and for procreation only, she said they both wrote papers about their sex lives available at Princeton. And her paper was the only one worth reading (lol!).  So perhaps they are both a bit clinical and removed.

What I find curious is if they only had children out of scientific curiousity, then why three kids?  My first inclination would be one.  Two if the wanted both genders.  Why the third?

Also Leonard mentioning walking in on his mother paddling his father doesn't really imply they didn't have some sort of sex life.   Maybe they were like Fraiser and Lilith that way.

I'm very curious on how his father will be presented. 

Perhaps Beverly ran some experiment and things kind of went crazy. Bang, along comes a big mistake, needy baby greedy baby.

Edited by djsurrey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Radar said:

Oh wow, sorry that you hate Sheldon so much.

Are you saying he didn't interrupt the they viewing of the stream of Lenny's wedding?  Or that he didn't interrupt the Girls playing twister for a boo boo he had?  That was as the whole point.  I don't hate Sheldon But I do feel, like other  obsevers(which was mentioned specifically in several reviews recently) that there has been too much Sheldon this year, to the detriment of the other characters.  if you like Sheldon fine, I prefer a more even distribution among the characters.  If you think that equates to a hate of Sheldon, so be it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Hmmmmmm. I don't disagree, but I am uncomfortable with letting the man off the hook for, at best, allowing the wife he knew to be cold and hyperanalytical (and even hypercritical) to mess up their child. Between 'cold, hyperanalytical, unable to switch her brain off and treat her son as a child rather than a test case' and 'physically absent, just as work-obsessed as his wife (cf: Etruscan boy), piggybacking on his son's inventions to get some affection rather than, say, actually extending some of said affection to his actual son, and furthermore cheating on his wife'....I really don't see that Pere Hofstadter is any great prize, or, frankly, any better than his wife. 

Leonard has much to explore regarding both his parents with that shrink, is what I am saying. Ahem, show.

If Leonard was an unintended surprise perhaps neither of his parents bonded with him well. Also going back a generation it was common for dads to not hug their kids much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.