Jump to content

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9


Tensor

Recommended Posts

I love the show, but I kind of wish it would end on a high note at the end of season 10.  I think if it keeps dragging out, the quality of the storylines will degrade heavily. @Tensor, you gave a great example with Glee there.  So funny and sharply written in the earlier seasons,  the final two seasons were just garbage.  I was hate watching it, but had the compulsive need to finish it.  I used to just love that show.  I don't hate BBT by any means, but I don't want to see it drag out.  I'm sure the actors will also be interested in doing new projects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

I love the show, but I kind of wish it would end on a high note at the end of season 10.  I think if it keeps dragging out, the quality of the storylines will degrade heavily. @Tensor, you gave a great example with Glee there.  So funny and sharply written in the earlier seasons,  the final two seasons were just garbage.  I was hate watching it, but had the compulsive need to finish it.  I used to just love that show.  I don't hate BBT by any means, but I don't want to see it drag out.  I'm sure the actors will also be interested in doing new projects.

I agree. The last two seasons the quality just hasn't been there, There have been some good episodes but they have become less and less frequent. Season 9 has been one big stall. It would be nice if they went out on a high note but seeing  TAAHM at the end I'm not betting on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that how long a show can run depends on the premise and the characters what kinds of stories that combination can generate.

With a show like Glee, you've got high school students, which already limits what you can do for how long with the original characters--they've gotta graduate sometime, especially if they're not all freshmen when they start, so then you have to successfully introduce new characters and come up with something compelling for them to do, and on and on.

There may be a lot of story fodder there, but it seems like that premise creates a lot of moving parts that may or may not work as it goes on.

TBBT, of course, can get bogged down as it explores what kinds of stories to tell as the characters evolve, but the good thing is that in most other ways, the show has a consistent setting and the characters, for all their growth, still have their basic personalities somewhere in there, whether you like any individual or not.

No matter how much one may love Leonard, for instance, he's never going to be some manly stud muffin like that motorcycle-riding playboy physicist.  he's always going to be the little nerdy guy with asthma and allergies and little upper body strength who managed to win the sexy, worldly-wise girl next door.  He's not going to suddenly become hunky, or all that assertive, or whatever.

And Sheldon's always going to have an ego as big as all outdoors, and all of his childhood achievements and hangups and obsessions.  And he's always going to be socially tone-deaf, though his friends and his girlfriend have helped mitigate that to some degree over the years.  Still, his basic nature is the same.

So, in that regard, the writers are still going to be working with the same "Barbie Dolls", if you will, and there may be more scientific news they can incorporate into the guys' work, or new sci-fi movies, or whatever, and there can still be movement on the relationship front (and no, that's not a dirty word.)

I think the biggest problem facing the writers is going to be timing.  When do they start pulling out all the stops and making sure they're hitting the milestones they want to hit before the end.  Like whether or not L/P get pregnant, or when the Wolowitzes have their baby, the Shamy proposal and/or wedding, Raj finally sorting out his love life, hopefully meeting a woman who actually does make him become a better boyfriend and a better man.

I'm not worried about the writing going downhill.  I'm just wondering about timing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, phantagrae said:

 

I think the biggest problem facing the writers is going to be timing.  When do they start pulling out all the stops and making sure they're hitting the milestones they want to hit before the end.  Like whether or not L/P get pregnant, or when the Wolowitzes have their baby, the Shamy proposal and/or wedding, Raj finally sorting out his love life, hopefully meeting a woman who actually does make him become a better boyfriend and a better man.

I'm not worried about the writing going downhill.  I'm just wondering about timing.

They could do all that next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope that there will be more seasons because ratings are high,the actors want to continue and there are many stories to tell!it s the only comedy show that resist in these years!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I think that season 9 is better than season 8!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Glee's quality and ratings dropped dramatically because there were too many problems and conflicts between the producers and the casts to the point Ryan Murphy just stopped caring about the show. He left the show to die itself. Otherwise the last two seasons wouldn't be that bad. So I don't worry about this about TBBT because it seems the casts and the producers have really good relationships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Timing's easy, getting back to the quality will be harder.

That depends on whether you think the quality has dropped off.  I think that's some people's opinions and not necessarily fact, since it's a subjective measurement.

If the show isn't doing what you (collective you) want it to do, or telling a story you want told in the way you want it to be told, then you might assess the quality to have gone down.  But not everyone feels that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vittoria Jacoel said:

I really hope that there will be more seasons because ratings are high,the actors want to continue and there are many stories to tell!it s the only comedy show that resist in these years!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I think that season 9 is better than season 8!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

What stories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the subjects of the future stories:

Shamy engagement

Wedding preparation

Shamy wedding

The Shamy honeymoon

Living arrangeents

Shamy have babies

Penny's surname

Penny's new job

Amy's family

Howard's father and their relationship

Birth of the baby

Howard and Bernie parents of the child

Friends on holiday together

Big discovery for sheldon and leonard

Nobel prize for the two

Leonard's brother and sister

Sheldon's brother

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

32 minutes ago, phantagrae said:

That depends on whether you think the quality has dropped off.  I think that's some people's opinions and not necessarily fact, since it's a subjective measurement.

Of course it's subjective.   Just like it's not a fact the show's quality has remained the same.  Or, it's not a fact that the show's quality has gone up.  Or, it's not a fact that the show is as funny as it was. Or, it's not a fact that the show is not as funny as it was.   All the opinions are subjective.  Just about anything someone posts here is subjective.

32 minutes ago, phantagrae said:

If the show isn't doing what you (collective you) want it to do, or telling a story you want told in the way you want it to be told, then you might assess the quality to have gone down.  But not everyone feels that way.

And if the show is meeting the needs of members or exceeding the expectations of members, they might assess the quality has gone up or stayed the same.   But not everyone feels that way either.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Yes

2. No. Done that.

3. Yes.

4. LOL

5. Should have been 15 episodes ago.

6. Better chance of Mary giving birth. Apparently you also missed the pilot

7. No.

8. Maybe

9. no

10. No

11 yes

12. Odds are never seeing kid after birth.

13. No

14. Maybe

15. No

16. No

17. No

TBBT isn't a family type show so many of your ideas wouldn't work. JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tensor said:
Quote

If the show isn't doing what you (collective you) want it to do, or telling a story you want told in the way you want it to be told, then you might assess the quality to have gone down.  But not everyone feels that way.

And if the show is meeting the needs of members or exceeding the expectations of members, they might assess the quality has gone up or stayed the same.   But not everyone feels that way either.    

In my opinion your both right and the writers have a lot of diverse viewers to attempt to appeal to. I don't think it is easy to keep a sitcom running for 10 years and keep the cast happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vittoria Jacoel said:

These are the subjects of the future stories:

Shamy engagement

Wedding preparation

Shamy wedding

The Shamy honeymoon

Living arrangeents

Shamy have babies

Penny's surname

Penny's new job

Amy's family

Howard's father and their relationship

Birth of the baby

Howard and Bernie parents of the child

Friends on holiday together

Big discovery for sheldon and leonard

Nobel prize for the two

Leonard's brother and sister

Sheldon's brother

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I'm old enough to remember when there was lots of  TV comedy material in couples meeting, courting and getting married and having babies. What's more, there was little or no  premarital sexual content and in American comedies not even married couples had a double bed. And still they were funny !!!!

It's possible for BBT writers to succeed in developing our gang without running them downhill. There's life in the old dog yet. Real life and fun don't stop when young people grow up and form partnerships.There's bags of scope for humour yet. Friends stay friends, work goes on, clothes wear out and fashions and technology change. There's no reason BBT can't continue to be as humorous - situation - based as ever.

We have had the privilege of seeing these thirty-somethings  when they were in their twenties doing what twenty-somethings do. Now we see them maturing a bit and I for one find them still good for a laugh. I think there's a lot more in the tank if the writers keep their thinking caps on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Well.  I just crossed a line at work.  Sent a reply email to a vender thanking her for sending an item and told her to "enjoy your Thursday--new episode of The Big Bang Theory tonight---only 4 more to go in Season 9!!"   Let's see her reply..... #FeelLikeI'mOutingMyselfToAMuggle

Until recently I worked with people creating feature films, TV and games  - but I was only on the admin side.  No one in that industry loved this show - because it just steamrollered the local content and was so ubiquitous  - and never mind the quality or absence thereof.   I did used to talk about it, but it didn't cut it at work. Not enough nerds in the office. And it was a professional conversation stopper. Hehe

Since S7 I had been less vocal. I retired my BBT mug and mouse pad around two years ago. BUT I never emailed anything. Lol. Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, April said:

Going out on a limb here and say when she writes "shamy cuteness in the final for once" she means "shamy cuteness in the final for once". S7 ended with Sheldon leaving on a train and a distressed Amy, S8 ended with Amy taking a break - neither are particularly cute situations for us fans especially with a long summer hiatus.

More happy endings for everyone please! Except Raj maybe. Ugh Raj.

Oh, OK makes more sense that way. Thanks. And please don't remind me of S8 finale. That was a crap shoot all around. I didn't mind S7 finale all that much as far as Shamy because I thought Sheldon's taking off was going to be the catalyst and cause of lots of personal growth. Sadly not the case.

As far as Raj, excuse me, Ugh Raj, honestly, who cares, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, rachelshamyfan said:

I meant for the final, the last 2 seasons have been not so cute for shamy, what with Sheldon running away and then shamy break up

Yes, got it. Thanks. April explained it in the post before yours. My bad, I thought you meant the whole season.

Edited by Carlos
Punctuation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

I'm old enough to remember when there was lots of  TV comedy material in couples meeting, courting and getting married and having babies. What's more, there was little or no  premarital sexual content and in American comedies not even married couples had a double bed. And still they were funny !!!!

It's possible for BBT writers to succeed in developing our gang without running them downhill. There's life in the old dog yet. Real life and fun don't stop when young people grow up and form partnerships.There's bags of scope for humour yet. Friends stay friends, work goes on, clothes wear out and fashions and technology change. There's no reason BBT can't continue to be as humorous - situation - based as ever.

We have had the privilege of seeing these thirty-somethings  when they were in their twenties doing what twenty-somethings do. Now we see them maturing a bit and I for one find them still good for a laugh. I think there's a lot more in the tank if the writers keep their thinking caps on.

...but what is the demographic that advertisers are most interested in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Gut him, Emily. Gut him like a fish. Stand over him and watch his viscera flop in pinks and greys, like a strange subterranean dawn. And when he croaks feebly 'I thought....I thought you wanted me back', smile that beautiful wide, sunny smile and say 'I did. Back in my closet.'

(Just to say: Kunal Nayyar, I still think you're charming and funny, and just as cute as a button. But Ugh, Raj has made three separate veins in my eyeball pop. It's self-defence, buddy. You understand.)

In regards to the bolded part: She can even ask Penny for lessons since she appeared to be quite the expert in the "Fish gut displacement" episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

...but what is the demographic that advertisers are most interested in ?

 

No idea, I'm afraid. I imagine it's the viewers who are nine years older than when they first watched it but now have more money to spend. What do they advertise ? If it's replacement items for what viewers bought nine years ago they'll be on to a good thing I daresay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stardustmelody said:

I think the reviewer does make an interesting point. While the show tonight wasn't very good overall Amy observations about Penny and Sheldon were spot on. I'm not totally sure Penny realizes what she does and to a lesser extent what Sheldon does.  I think Leonard has been too close to the situation and Amy made him realized what's going on. I'm not convinced that Amy wants to move in but wants Lenny to move out. While the next two episode appear not related to Lenny and Sheldon in 4a the reviewer may be right about a revealing finale. Maybe a move to 4b?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.