[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

7 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

ATOB QUOTED. Often Sheldon storylines are disguised as Lenny plots.

True. I'm leaning towards an award for Leonard Sheldon and Howard. The lab and all the parents points toward some kind of an achievement. Oh well, it was nice to actually think we would get a lenny redo wedding but I guess it was just wishful thinking.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I think you'll get a redo eventually, now's too soon.  They only just got married! I'll bet they'll split them up again first and then, after some soul-searching, you Lennys will finally get the wedding you actually deserve.

• Like 2

ATOB QUOTED. Often Sheldon storylines are disguised as Lenny plots.

True. I'm leaning towards an award for Leonard Sheldon and Howard. The lab and all the parents points toward some kind of an achievement. Oh well, it was nice to actually think we would get a lenny redo wedding but I guess it was just wishful thinking.

I think you'll get a redo eventually, now's too soon.  They only just got married! I'll bet they'll split them up again first and then, after some soul-searching, you Lennys will finally get the wedding you actually deserve.

Well it depends on if there is lenny drama in the final, if so I could see one of them leaving.

• Like 2

Leonard and Sheldon have been working on the liquid helium project all season.  The supercooled fluid idea and paper were at the end of last season.  They obtained the helium for the first experiments back in Episode 6, worked on the equations in Episode 10, Howard's guidance system application idea came in Episode 15, they applied for the patent in Episode 18, and were building the first prototype in Episode 19.  I expect next steps would include successfully testing the prototype, and perhaps some sort of recognition for the work.  This would nicely tie up the science arc for Season 9.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lady in Red said:

Leonard and Sheldon have been working on the liquid helium project all season.  The supercooled fluid idea and paper were at the end of last season.  They obtained the helium for the first experiments back in Episode 6, worked on the equations in Episode 10, Howard's guidance system application idea came in Episode 15, they applied for the patent in Episode 18, and were building the first prototype in Episode 19.  I expect next steps would include successfully testing the prototype, and perhaps some sort of recognition for the work.  This would nicely tie up the science arc for Season 9.

It looks like they are testing their prototype in the next episode 'The Fermentation Bifurcation'. Well the preview video showed them testing a machine in the lab (Howard's lab?) and Sheldon was recording it. If it produces some promising results then I could see the university making a big deal out of it which could justify the parents arrival.

Correct me if I am wrong but in Season 8 when both Leonard and Sheldon mothers turned up it was because they were getting an award. And in that same episode Sheldon said something like "every award I've ever received she has been there to see it".

I guess Penny could have decided in the penultimate episode that they do a wedding re-do but maybe they plan to have a more proper wedding and it will happen in season 10 instead of the season 9 finale. I actually think that would be better than having a rushed ceremony and maybe give them the sort of wedding they deserve.

We shall wait and see.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jonny83 said:

It looks like they are testing their prototype in the next episode 'The Fermentation Bifurcation'. Well the preview video showed them testing a machine in the lab (Howard's lab?) and Sheldon was recording it. If it produces some promising results then I could see the university making a big deal out of it which could justify the parents arrival.

Correct me if I am wrong but in Season 8 when both Leonard and Sheldon mothers turned up it was because they were getting an award. And in that same episode Sheldon said something like "every award I've ever received she has been there to see it".

I guess Penny could have decided in the penultimate episode that they do a wedding re-do but maybe they plan to have a more proper wedding and it will happen in season 10 instead of the season 9 finale. I actually think that would be better than having a rushed ceremony and maybe give them the sort of wedding they deserve.

We shall wait and see.

Or knowing the writers, it will be another "off camera" event...   To be honest, I have never felt that the redo would happen because they have been so adamant that they liked the way they wrote their original wedding and felt that it was not necessary.   Since she supposedly would be doing the redo for Beverly, and we don't know what Christine Baranski will be committed to by next Fall, it will be unclear if she will be available for a redo (which I am guessing they would want her there in person for).   My guess is they are hoping fans will forget about it over the summer (which is a mistake on their part to assume such things). :girlwink::girlsigh: 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jonny83 said:

I don´t think they will re-do the marriage "again" on season 10... this was their shot IMO..they could have done a nice party with family to celebrate early on season 9..seems writers missed a great opportunity and now are trying to fix it.. hope they don´t make worst..

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Jonny83 said:

It looks like they are testing their prototype in the next episode 'The Fermentation Bifurcation', well the preview video showed them testing a machine in the lab and Sheldon recording it. If it produces some promising results then I could see the university making a big deal out of it which could justify the parents arrival.

We shall wait and see.

There really was only one scene in 9x22 about the prototype. It worked; Sheldon recorded it and fainted. That's all. The rest was just Leonard worrying about the military use. But they did tell Zack their invention was very cool and meaningful. 

I don't like the guiding system storyline to be honest. Because it's really really boring... In the past when we have episodes about their work, they were a mix of science and comedy. For example, the one where Sheldon exchanged papers with Kripke, the one where Sheldon tried to figure out why electrons act as if they have no mass moving through graphene, the one where Sheldon and Raj worked together etc. Those were some funny episodes. With Sheldon and Leonard's paper, at least we have the one with Professor Hawking and the helium episode. There were still some comedy. But with the guiding system? I just struggled to find anything funny.

Also the show makes scientific research look really easy these days. Like most of the time the boys just play and watch comic books and TV shows. Once in a while they get inspired and do some work and it turns out to be a huge success. Leonard got the inspiration about their paper during dinner, Sheldon wrote the paper overnight (I know he's brilliant, but aren't all physicists brilliant? I don't suppose they can all write papers in a few hours). Howard thought of the guiding system right after he wanted an idea to make more money. Because life is just that awesome. And while we're on the subject, why is Raj being left out? He missed the opportunity to make a huge discovery in science because he was busy making jams... And on one hand we have the other three making big breakthroughs at work, on the other hand we have Raj, dating two women (probably three in the future) and feeling proud of himself. Ugh...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

There really was only one scene in 9x22 about the prototype. It worked; Sheldon recorded it and fainted. That's all. The rest was just Leonard worrying about the military use. But they did tell Zack their invention was very cool and meaningful. 

I don't like the guiding system storyline to be honest. Because it's really really boring... In the past when we have episodes about their work, they were a mix of science and comedy. For example, the one where Sheldon exchanged papers with Kripke, the one where Sheldon tried to figure out why electrons act as if they have no mass moving through graphene, the one where Sheldon and Raj worked together etc. Those were some funny episodes. With Sheldon and Leonard's paper, at least we have the one with Professor Hawking and the helium episode. There were still some comedy. But with the guiding system? I just struggled to find anything funny.

Also the show makes scientific research look really easy these days. Like most of the time the boys just play and watch comic books and TV shows. Once in a while they get inspired and do some work and it turns out to be a huge success. Leonard got the inspiration about their paper during dinner, Sheldon wrote the paper overnight (I know he's brilliant, but aren't all physicists brilliant? I don't suppose they can all write papers in a few hours). Howard thought of the guiding system right after he wanted an idea to make more money. Because life is just that awesome. And while we're on the subject, why is Raj being left out? He missed the opportunity to make a huge discovery in science because he was busy making jams... And on one hand we have the other three making big breakthroughs at work, on the other hand we have Raj, dating two women (probably three in the future) and feeling proud of himself. Ugh...

I do agree that they have not written this scientific discovery with much comedy to it.   It does come across far more boring than some of their past science but at least they are doing something scientific for a change and that I am grateful for since it was a primary element to the show and made it unique.   However, that being said, I am not sure it is finale worthy focus.   Especially when this season they have started stories only to drop them over and over (the ring, the episode that aired this past week, Penny's dissatisfaction with job, etc.).   It would have been nice to see the finale finally address at least something that they started. I guess they are thinking they are doing that with this guiding system storyline, but as you said it really has not been a very engaging story to begin with so it really does not hold attention of even those of us who are scientists, that I cannot imagine what the casual viewer thinks about the story.   I am sure they have been bored stiff with it.

I just feel like that they are stalling because they likely already know that this is going to go beyond a S10 so they are doing what they are always doing when it comes to "renewal" time, stalling and allowing stories to drag.   That is just my gut feel.   I am sure they know that everyone is dying to see living arrangements addressed and Sheldon to pop the question to Amy...but I am very doubtful we will get either in the finale given the sets they have in mind.

One question I have is still about 9.23.....do we know if the entire episode was girls/guys separately?  Because is there any possibility that some of the answers about the Lenny redo were addressed in conversation in that episode that we are not aware of?  Maybe when Penny proposed the redo to Leonard he sat down with Beverly and asked her why she was manipulating them into a redo or somehow said it wasn't necessary and Penny agreed it was an expense that didn't make sense?   I just feel like there are so many questions around that that are still unclear.  Likewise about any of the other characters...if there were any movement that we are unaware of.   We really have no idea why Sheldon required hiring Stuart to stand in line for him and is there something that brought closure to that?

I am frustrated with the lack of closure on stories period with this show.  It is annoying to have things tossed out there like a gold ring in front of your nose constantly but you can never grasp it because closure never comes.   

• Like 5

Bifurcation is the process of dividing something into two distinct  parts.  Fermentation is the chemical breakdown of a substance, usually by a microorganism and typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat---(archaic) agitation or excitement  .

21 minutes ago, I Miss Dan said:

Bifurcation is the process of dividing something into two distinct  parts.  Fermentation is the chemical breakdown of a substance, usually by a microorganism and typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat---(archaic) agitation or excitement  .

Yes I am familiar with the definitions...but not sure what you are trying to say about them?  It is an episode about wine tasting....so title already fit the story arc.   The group also split into two groups, Sheldon/Bernie at the apartment and the rest out wine tasting.....drinkers versus non-drinkers.....Was there something you were trying to convey with the definitions?   Other than the Raj storyline, not much excitement or agitation in the episode from what I recall, and even his story was more of an annoyance than exciting or agitating.

Edited by stardustmelody

I'm wondering why Leonard's parents are both so tall, how Leonard is so  short ?

I just saw Johnny Galecki's pic on some red carpet, and holy crap, he's so fricking short(for a guy)  !On the show, everyone(except Jim ofcourse) is short, so I never noticed LOL.

Penny is certainly taller than Leonard, though Howard/Simon looks like the shortest one(of the guys). As much as I like the Judd Hirsch casting, I thought, maybe Leonard's dad being short might have been more believable. Maybe someone like Kevin Pollack.

Edited by Serena_nyc1995

53 minutes ago, vonmar said:

All we know from the taping tidbits that we got is that Beverly admitted to being offended about being left out of the Vegas wedding and that Penny offered a redo while Beverly was in town.  That's all we know. Beverly could have shot Penny's kind offer down and Penny may have been relieved, or upset...we just don't know.  We are all going to be going into 9x23 "semi-unspoiled" and I find that so interesting for this group.  :icon_cheesygrin:

i find verty unsual we havent got anything from episode 23 only small stuff what is going om

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

I'm wondering why Leonard's parents are both so tall, how Leonard is so  short ?

I just saw a Johnny Galecki pic on some red carpet, and holy crap, he's so fricking short(for a guy)  !

Penny is certainly taller than Leonard, though Howard/Simon looks like the shortest one. Anyway, as much as I like Judd Hirsch casting, I thought, Leonard's dad being short might have been more believable. Maybe someone like Kevin Pollack.

It can happen.

"Occasionally, the random assortment of genes can even produce a child who is substantially shorter or taller than both parents."

see https://www.enotalone.com/health/11399.html

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

I just saw Johnny Galecki's pic on some red carpet, and holy crap, he's so fricking short(for a guy)  !On the show, everyone(except Jim ofcourse) is short, so I never noticed LOL.

Penny is certainly taller than Leonard, though Howard/Simon looks like the shortest one(of the guys). As much as I like the Judd Hirsch casting, I thought, maybe Leonard's dad being short might have been more believable. Maybe someone like Kevin Pollack.

According to IMDB....Jim 6'1",  Kunal 5'7",  Johnny 5'5", Simon 5'4" 

3 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

It can happen.

"Occasionally, the random assortment of genes can even produce a child who is substantially shorter or taller than both parents."

see https://www.enotalone.com/health/11399.html

I'm 5'7" and my husband is 5'11".   My son is 6'2' and my daughter is 5'4".  The height of your offspring can be a crap shoot, it goes back to what is in the genetic line.

• Like 3

Wait, why is everyone assuming the re-do is not gonna happen? I think it's more likely than this "award" celebration with parents, since we have seen the same thing in 8.23 already.

37 minutes ago, FileXxX said:

Wait, why is everyone assuming the re-do is not gonna happen? I think it's more likely than this "award" celebration with parents, since we have seen the same thing in 8.23 already.

Well, the folded orange napkins on the tables in the banquet hall/restaurant set up seem to be an indication for many, that a re-do is unlikely. Also Caltech's school colors are orange and white.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vonmar said:

I'm 5'7" and my husband is 5'11".   My son is 6'2' and my daughter is 5'4".  The height of your offspring can be a crap shoot, it goes back to what is in the genetic line.

Good point. Actually my son is also 6'2" but I am only 5'9" and my wife is only 5'4". My own Dad was 6'1" and his Dad was more like 5'7".

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nickelette424 said:

I was thinking with the inclusion of the engineering lab that the banquet hall was actually work/project/invention related. 

I hope it is CalTech. I have missed the CalTech scenes. 

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

According to IMDB....Jim 6'1",  Kunal 5'7",  Johnny 5'5", Simon 5'4" 

I'm 5'7" too, but my BF is 6'1".  Guys should be  taller than their moms by the mathematical formula given in the link provided by @djsurrey (assuming the dad is always taller than the mom)

Maybe Leonard's  grandparents/someone in his genetic line was short, we can assume.

Cast Heights in descending order -

Jim- 6'1"

Kunal-5'7"

Kaley-5'6"

Johnny-5'5"

Simon-5'4"

Mayim-5'4"

Melissa-4'11"

LOL, I'm now obsessed with cast heights LOL.

Edited by Serena_nyc1995
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vonmar said:

All we know from the taping tidbits that we got is that Beverly admitted to being offended about being left out of the Vegas wedding and that Penny offered a redo while Beverly was in town.  That's all we know. Beverly could have shot Penny's kind offer down and Penny may have been relieved, or upset...we just don't know.  We are all going to be going into 9x23 "semi-unspoiled" and I find that so interesting for this group.  :icon_cheesygrin:

It is a very interesting social experiment, isn't it? How will the members of this forum react to be spoilers-deprived? Judging from how I am reacting, not very well...LOL! 

As you said, all we know is that Beverly was offered a redo, but she might as well have declined the offer. If that is the case (I still hope for a wedding, TBH, as many of you I didn't find the prototype story appealing at all) isn't that a downer, anyway? I mean, the writers know that fans  want a redo, they are asked about it in interviews, JG himself has said that it could be a good thing, and they basically insert the possibility of it in a story, just to say "no way, forget it, at least for a while" It doesn't sound right to me...

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 4

A hint or promise of a redo next season could be a play to keep pissed off fans from stewing all summer and not tuning in for season 10

It sounds just like the kind of semi-desperate ratings ploy TPTB seem so fond of the last few seasons only trying for good chatter over the summer instead of the bad vibes of the last two hiatus's

Edited by JE7
  • Like 5

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic