The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

20 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Raj can date Two Women if he want  as long as neither relationships are 'exclusive' and if he was just a bachelor. 

The problem is (and is why many people have called him a D-bag) is because he leading both Emily and Claire  to believe that he not dating anyone else and that they are the only ones although in the last episode it seem that Claire may be getting suspicious, Claire knows about Emily but  she has never met her yet. 

And then he bragging about it. That is worst  then anything Howard has done.  As far as we know Raj and Emily are exclusively (although they are not anymore)  so Raj is cheating on Emily. Not sure why none of the others have not  brought that up 

Exactly, there is a difference between `not being exclusive` and actual saying to each other that you are dating someone else as well.

Up untill this last episode, Claire didn´t know and I am sure Emily still doesnt know.

• Like 1

I'm just not very interested in the Raj/Emily/Claire story line. For me, it's a tertiary story that takes up screen time with uninteresting characters with no real tension.  Sorry, but I just have zero interest in how it all works out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Raj can date Two Women if he want  as long as neither relationships are 'exclusive' and if he was just a bachelor. 

The problem is (and is why many people have called him a D-bag) is because he leading both Emily and Claire  to believe that he not dating anyone else and that they are the only ones although in the last episode it seem that Claire may be getting suspicious, Claire knows about Emily but  she has never met her yet. 

And then he bragging about it. That is worst  then anything Howard has done.  As far as we know Raj and Emily are exclusive  (although they are not anymore)  so Raj is cheating on Emily. Not sure why none of the others have not  brought that up 

I would agree with this except he has told Leonard they both know about each other and that the agreement is they arent exclusively dating...unless I misunderstood what was said

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

I'm just not very interested in the Raj/Emily/Claire story line. For me, it's a tertiary story that takes up screen time with uninteresting characters with no real tension.  Sorry, but I just have zero interest in how it all works out.

It is the less interesting of the storylines, but doesn't bother you that they start something and don't finish? That they kinda of don't care very much about the character's actions and motivations? I'm certainly bothered. 

6 minutes ago, Ranger Rosa said:

It is the less interesting of the storylines, but doesn't bother you that they start something and don't finish? That they kinda of don't care very much about the character's actions and motivations? I'm certainly bothered. 

They started with Raj and Emily...she was odd, but Raj seemed to like her.  Then their relationship seemed to get really weird.  Rather than address that they bring in Claire?  That's were they lost me. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

I would agree with this except he has told Leonard they both know about each other and that the agreement is they arent exclusively dating...unless I misunderstood what was said

I must have miss that then. Of course Emily could always do a 180.

1 hour ago, 2L344 said:

I don't think they necessarily know of each other, just that it's a vague "open" situation. Anyway, considering Claire's expression when she found out Raj was dating other people, and Raj's interest in keeping that a secret, I think we can infer that he knows what he's doing has the potential to hurt at least Claire and he just gives no cares because ugh, Raj.

The thing is, I wouldn't even care if Raj was doing this if there was anything likeable or entertaining left about him, but the brief moments of being nice to Bernie just don't cut it for me anymore. Even Howard, who was an ass back in the day, was at least consistently funny because of his home situation and a lot of snappy lines. Raj is just this big ball of nothing. He's supposedly a caring person (see Bernie), but then why doesn't he care about his girlfriends? And the writers give him too little screentime doing anything else to mine any comedy that would make me tolerate him (after all, a character doesn't have to be friendly to be funny). So for now, the only character trait he consistently displays is that he's a bad boyfriend.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, vonmar said:

They started with Raj and Emily...she was odd, but Raj seemed to like her.  Then their relationship seemed to get really weird.  Rather than address that they bring in Claire?  That's where they lost me. 

I'm lost too !  Raj used to have a tendency to react to certain women by believing he was in love within seconds. Even Sheldon noticed it. Since Raj entered into his relationship with Emily it looked as though that issue was behind him. However, that he told Claire he was planning their wedding before they'd even met to discuss her work was as if he were reverting to type. When he went on about the spark and the vibe, Claire seemed to understand he had some sort of problem : she promised to say 'no' if he proposed at their meeting. Fair enough. Very funny. Very perceptive, insightful woman, must be a good writer.

Now inexplicably she's dating, and according to Raj sleeping with, this man whom not very long ago she'd apparently realised was crackers. She appears to care whether he takes out other women or not although it's supposed to be a 'casual' relationship in which she thinks even meeting his friends at a do is a big step. So she's not in collusion with Emily then.

What they're doing with Emily goodness knows. Raj was vague about why he thought they 'weren't right' when he repeatedly told the others he intended to break up. The weirdness unsettled him  but he stayed with her. When Emily was crying over the phone it was hard to tell whether she was pretending or not, with a small box of tissues nearby the only thing that might or might not have been a clue. The other girls acted as though they thought Emily was only pretending - at least that's what I concluded they were doing with their vomiting gestures, I can't think why else they'd be doing that.

If the writing of TBBT were consistent as a rule and the continuity good, I'd think there was a mystery for us to ponder on here and be intrigued. As it is, either a)  they don't remember the scripts from week to week and the contradictions are unintended, or b ) they intend us to be puzzled and it's a mini cliff-hanger. I don't hold much hope for the latter so I wish they'd use the time better.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, A.D.A. said:

I don't think they necessarily know of each other, just that it's a vague "open" situation. Anyway, considering Claire's expression when she found out Raj was dating other people, and Raj's interest in keeping that a secret, I think we can infer that he knows what he's doing has the potential to hurt at least Claire and he just gives no cares because ugh, Raj.

The thing is, I wouldn't even care if Raj was doing this if there was anything likeable or entertaining left about him, but the brief moments of being nice to Bernie just don't cut it for me anymore. Even Howard, who was an ass back in the day, was at least consistently funny because of his home situation and a lot of snappy lines. Raj is just this big ball of nothing. He's supposedly a caring person (see Bernie), but then why doesn't he care about his girlfriends? And the writers give him too little screentime doing anything else to mine any comedy that would make me tolerate him (after all, a character doesn't have to be friendly to be funny). So for now, the only character trait he consistently displays is that he's a bad boyfriend.

I agree that the writers dont give Raj a lot of breathing time on the show, and that makes for some vague and confusing character traits with him. Raj can be a huge db while also being a sensitive, down to earth kind of guy. I think he's been that way the entire show.

The way I see it is Raj is the last male hold out on the show who hasnt grown much when it comes to relationships with women. Yes he learned to talk to women with the help of alcohol, then later in some sort of miracle, without it. But with that exception, not much else has changed with him. He hasnt found his Amy, Penny, or Bernie in his life that would ground him and mature him.

And until he does he will forever be the guy who acts like a high school teen trying to figure it out. Look at his behavior and track record with women on the show--

Willing to overlook a deaf woman's gold digging personality just to be with her. 

Made a move on Penny, was infatuated with Bernie to the point he fantasized a dying Howard wishing him to "take care of" Bernie, and on a girl night thought he was "kinda into" in Amy once he found out she wasnt interested in him.

Had bad luck with Penny's blind date set up where he accused the gal of being too good looking to be single.

Emily's love of the macabre disturbed him, but he will put up with watching Night of a 1000 Corpses because it turns her on.

These are just some examplea, but every gal he meets, including Claire, triggers a fantasy where he envisions marriage and a family lol.

I dunno, I think him trying to have his cake and eat it too when it comes to Claire and Emily is consistent with his immaturity with women that he has displayed since season 1 and just isnt a shocker for me. In Raj's own words after opening his dating profile online, "My business is open for business!"....yes it is, and will be until he grows up. Whether that means the gals teach him something or he eventually finds the right woman like the other guys have, Raj will need to have his epiphany and change his mindset.

I just dont hate the guy for it all like some folks on here do. And I still think he is a funny character, but I do understand that is my own position while others are just as free to find him boring or a douche bag lol.

Edited by 2L344

30 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

If the writing of TBBT were consistent as a rule and the continuity good, I'd think there was a mystery for us to ponder on here and be intrigued. As it is, either a)  they don't remember the scripts from week to week and the contradictions are unintended, or b ) they intend us to be puzzled and it's a mini cliff-hanger. I don't hold much hope for the latter so I wish they'd use the time better.

I think there are some smart people in that writers room and expect they are quite aware of inconsistencies. Their priority is usually to make the current episode funny. Of course only some percentage of the audience is going to find Raj's situation funny.

• Like 1

The problem I have with the whole situation is that Emily, Claire and even Raj deserve better. Emily and Claire don't deserve to be strung along by a Raj that can't decide on which woman he wants to be with. Think about the psychological damage it could be causing to them, they deserve to be a relationship that is normal and more on their terms.

How is it damaging to Raj? Well he has always had a problem with women and trying to find someone to end his loneliness with. Stringing along two women is only going to end badly for Raj, there can't be a good outcome from this. It's clear to me that neither woman is the right one for Raj otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

Overall the fact he is getting away with it just reinforces the bad behavior in Raj and empowers some of his bad traits. Raj will never find love and peace until he grows up and matures, dating two women at the same time is quite frankly holding him back.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

The problem with a is that we've had too many brick jokes or situations to think they don't remember.    Sheldon's ticket, Amy and Bernadette finding the snowflake, Howard's second cousin(Including the name of the car), our babies will be smart and beautiful, the two hundred pound transvestite, etc.  I agree with dj, they try, as they see it, to make things funny, and what they see as minor inconsistencies be damned.  And while it doesn't happen with everyone, it happens here a lot because we are more into the show than the average fan.  

• Like 6

Love the photo stardustmelody. photo Seeing Judd Hirsch on a favourite sitcom again brings back old memories from the 70s.

Now if they can just get Christopher Lloyd to make an appearance... 

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:38 AM, Stephen Hawking said:

Wouldn't that tend to reflect badly on Emily too?

He hadn't applied for citizenship, half way through Season 7.

How long does the citizenship process take?

It depends how you become a citizen. if you marry one, I can take up to 5 years.

I fast-forward through anything related to Raj and his women problems. I learn what's going on with him from here. I do think that he's an asshole when it comes to women but I just don't care about his character. Never did.

The actor can be very funny though.

• Like 3

I don't look at the ratings thread often but gesh TBBT seems to be getting watched a lot.

On 5/2/2016 at 5:19 AM, Jonny83 said:

The problem I have with the whole situation is that Emily, Claire and even Raj deserve better. Emily and Claire don't deserve to be strung along by a Raj that can't decide on which woman he wants to be with. Think about the psychological damage it could be causing to them, they deserve to be a relationship that is normal and more on their terms.

How is it damaging to Raj? Well he has always had a problem with women and trying to find someone to end his loneliness with. Stringing along two women is only going to end badly for Raj, there can't be a good outcome from this. It's clear to me that neither woman is the right one for Raj otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

Overall the fact he is getting away with it just reinforces the bad behavior in Raj and empowers some of his bad traits. Raj will never find love and peace until he grows up and matures, dating two women at the same time is quite frankly holding him back.

The world is full of couples who are not solely committed to just each other. That is called "dating". People all the time date multiple people, especially at the beginning of a relationship. Then at some point they decide if they will become "exclusive". Raj and Claire have obviously not reached the "exclusive" point. Raj and Emily had been there, but then they broke up and are now back to "dating" and "non-exclusive" (AFAWK). Raj is not "stringing along" the two women. At some point Raj will decide who he likes better and choose (or choose neither and find another). 

This is perfectly expected behavior from someone like Raj who just recently was able to talk to girls, a little selfish and is compared to his friends who have all had and have girlfriends.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

The world is full of couples who are not solely committed to just each other. That is called "dating". People all the time date multiple people, especially at the beginning of a relationship. Then at some point they decide if they will become "exclusive". Raj and Claire have obviously not reached the "exclusive" point. Raj and Emily had been there, but then they broke up and are now back to "dating" and "non-exclusive" (AFAWK). Raj is not "stringing along" the two women. At some point Raj will decide who he likes better and choose (or choose neither and find another). 

This is perfectly expected behavior from someone like Raj who just recently was able to talk to girls, a little selfish and is compared to his friends who have all had and have girlfriends.

But there is something a little skeevy and off-putting about the way Raj is going about it.  His attitude of portraying himself as a "player" (to use Leonard's ill-advised term when Raj considered dating both Lucy and Emily) has a conception of his using Emily and Claire to boost his ego (of course one or both of the women could be doing the absolute same thing...).  It also appears (to me anyway) that it was news to Claire that Raj actually was dating others.  We have not seen Emily since the breakup episode.  We don't know what she thinks is going on in the relationship.

Again, it just seems a bit skeevy.  It has all the earmarks of having a not-so-happy ending for Dr. Koothrappali...

• Like 5

On May 3, 2016 at 9:58 AM, hokie3457 said:

But there is something a little skeevy and off-putting about the way Raj is going about it.  His attitude of portraying himself as a "player" (to use Leonard's ill-advised term when Raj considered dating both Lucy and Emily) has a conception of his using Emily and Claire to boost his ego (of course one or both of the women could be doing the absolute same thing...).  It also appears (to me anyway) that it was news to Claire that Raj actually was dating others.  We have not seen Emily since the breakup episode.  We don't know what she thinks is going on in the relationship.

Again, it just seems a bit skeevy.  It has all the earmarks of having a not-so-happy ending for Dr. Koothrappali...

You mention the episode where Raj was considering dating both Lucy and Emily, if the situation arose.  I just watched it yesterday and the WHOLE gang was telling him to date both of them.  As long as he wasn't pretending to be exclusive, they even gave him permission to lie to either girl about whether or not he was out with the other the night before or whatever.

So, Emily knew that he was still maybe going to see Lucy as he was beginning to date Emily and she was okay with it at the moment.

Now, though Raj and Emily have gone through their relationship and BREAK-UP, their relationship is different, but it's my impression that both Emily and Claire know that he's dating (and sleeping with) both of them.

I figure we'll see an episode, either here at the very end (no more than a scene or two, since it's all so busy) or at the beginning of next season, where it comes to a head.  I think that Raj putting his foot in his mouth at the end is something of a harbinger of what's to come, but I don't think it's going to be much more than a typical Raj burn, like when he was "in love" with Siri and dreamed that he couldn't talk to her face-to-face either, or when the first Emily (the deaf girl) turned out to be a gold-digger.

I don't think that Raj's love life is yet important to his happily ever after, so it may well be that he'll lose both of these girls and meet someone new (and I don't know if they really have time to work their way into a new character for him to meet) or he'll finally decide if one of these girls is Ms. Right.

I think they took Emily too far into the "too dark" range for it to work out, unless they really address that.  And so far Claire is too much of a blank slate.

But I don't think Raj's boasting is making him to be a bad guy just yet.  He boasts to his friends because he was always the "loser" who couldn't even talk to girls, let alone find a girlfriend.  He believed that he was unlovable when Lucy broke his heart.

But he's always been a braggadocio when it comes to the small successes he's had with women, and to find himself in what seems like a great position makes it hard for him to resist the gloating.

It doesn't seem like he's been gloating with the girls.  He brags about trying not to get their bras mixed up or whatever, but there's no evidence of what the situation is really like.  I don't think either of those girls is the sort to put up with crap if they thought he was treating either of them badly.

• Like 2

You make some great points as always phanta.  I, however am still sticking with my word "skeevy", because, that's how I see it (me and only me. anyone else can see things as they like).  The consensus of his friends when Raj was thinking of dating two women (Lucy & Emily) was to go ahead.  To me, at the time, Raj's better angel spoke in his ear.....(I saw that episode the other night as well.  How delightful was that first date between Raj and Emily???).

To me, when I watched the last episode, Claire seemed surprised that Raj was actually doing it---dating two women at the same time.  And we do not know what Emily thinks, as we have not seen her since the break....Again, all this is my own opinion which does not match yours.  Vive la difference!!  Take care.  Enjoy your day!! 

• Like 2

Interesting subject @2L344 regarding Raj dating two women.  The difference for me between Raj dating two women, and they all know they are casually dating and what Raj is doing is in this situation is this - Emily.  Emily is the difference for me.  If he had met two women and were casually dating them, and they all knew they weren't exclusive, then I wouldn't be overly bothered.  The fact that it is Emily bothers me.  He dated her exclusively for two years.  So for her to go back to casual dating status doesn't read true to me.  I don't think she'd be cool with Raj dating another girl.  Who knows what he's told her.  He might have just told her that he doesn't want things to get too serious between them.  That doesn't mean she knows he's sleeping with another woman.

I really think it would bother her to to know that she's been fed the "other woman's" leftovers from the fridge.  Or that after Raj leaves her bedroom in the morning, he's off to go have sex with another woman that night.  That's straight out "tricky" behaviour.  I think Emily would be pissed if she knew everything.  I think Claire was starting to get clued in at the end of the last episode and didn't look too pleased either.

Raj has whined about finding tru wuv all throughout the show.  That no longer seems to be a goal for him.  He's getting off on being a player, and I hope it blows up in his face soon.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

Interesting subject @2L344 regarding Raj dating two women.  The difference for me between Raj dating two women, and they all know they are casually dating and what Raj is doing is in this situation is this - Emily.  Emily is the difference for me.  If he had met two women and were casually dating them, and they all knew they weren't exclusive, then I wouldn't be overly bothered.  The fact that it is Emily bothers me.  He dated her exclusively for two years.  So for her to go back to casual dating status doesn't read true to me.  I don't think she'd be cool with Raj dating another girl.  Who knows what he's told her.  He might have just told her that he doesn't want things to get too serious between them.  That doesn't mean she knows he's sleeping with another woman.

I really think it would bother her to to know that she's been fed the "other woman's" leftovers from the fridge.  Or that after Raj leaves her bedroom in the morning, he's off to go have sex with another woman that night.  That's straight out "tricky" behaviour.  I think Emily would be pissed if she knew everything.  I think Claire was starting to get clued in at the end of the last episode and didn't look too pleased either.

Raj has whined about finding tru wuv all throughout the show.  That no longer seems to be a goal for him.  He's getting off on being a player, and I hope it blows up in his face soon.

From dating two women to hitting on his friend's wives while they secretly went to a movie without him, Raj is having quite a year.  Things (chickens or turkeys or vultures) will come home to roost!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

Actually I have no problem with it all blowing up in Raj's face, especially if it turns out he was lying to either or both of the ladies. BUT until that is revealed Im taking what Raj said about them knowing about each other, and being "casual", at face value. If we are to believe Raj didnt lie to Leonard about that, then he really isnt doing wrong by them. 

Yes Emily was in a long term relationship with Raj, but he ultimately ended that. IF Emily knows Raj is dating Claire now, and she wants to continue whatever it is she is doing with Raj, then thats her business and choice. Doesnt make Raj a db for playing along, even if most of us in the real world probably wouldnt go that route. Now, if Raj is lying to her that changes the game...

As for Claire, I STILL have no idea what shes doing with Raj. There was no "spark" in their intro on her end, and she even went back to her ex after meeting Raj. She thought Raj was an ass for dumping Emily near VDay. So what the hell Claire?? Maybe she found out Raj comes from wealth lol...

Again, for me, we just dont know all that much about this Raj arc. And since Raj isnt a main character we may never get enough info to make any sense of it. I agree it may well blow up on Raj and maybe deservedly so if he is being shady, but right now I dont see him being hateful...and well, to me, the boorish db behavior he exhibits around the guys and specifically Howard, is nothing those guys havent done themselves in the past with regards to smack talk. And we like them just fine :)

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 1