[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

1 hour ago, camelliayao said:

First of all, they do have common interests. How about science? Because from my understanding of Sheldon's character, science is his biggest interest. Although the writers doesn't show it anymore. Nowadays it feels like science is just Sheldon's job. He does change. And not to the better may I say.

And Amy's just with Sheldon for sex??? That' like the most absurb thing I've ever heard. Sorry if this is offensive but I mean it. Report me.

Amy has been with Sheldon for 6 years and they've only done it once. If sex is all Amy wants, she should've broken up with him a loooooooooooooong time ago. Also in 9x09 she went back with Sheldon without knowing about the sex. She couldn't foresee that they were gonna have sex on her birthday. But she wanted him back anyway.

I think out of all the terrible writing this season, the writers at least made one thing clear, and that is their break up was not about sex. Because if it was, Amy could've done it with others during the six months. She was unsatisfied with their slow progress, not because she can't get any.

Amy wants sex doesn't make sex the reason she's with Sheldon. What she does is totally normal. After going out with him for years, she wants to get intimate with him. That's the defination of love. I don't know why people are making a fuss at this. Would I like it better if Amy's also asexual? Sure. Because then their relationship would be so unique. But she's not. She has desires. She desires him. She desires the man she loves. What's wrong with that? She may need to work on her communication skills, like she should just tell Sheldon how she feels. But accusing a girl "only with her boyfriend for sex", makes her sound like a sex addict just because she desires her boyfriend. Let alone this girl loves her boyfriend so much that she waited patiently for him for years. I desire my boyfriend. Does this make me "only with him for sex"?

And there're men other than Sheldon in this world. Shocking, right? Amy may not be the traditional pretty type, but she's still charming. If sex is all she wants, believe me, she doesn't need to wait for Sheldon.

I KNOW Amy was not with Sheldon for sex. But AFTER 9x11, the impression the show gives me is that sex is the only positive thing that happened for her since 9x11. Because she can't stand anything else about him-she avoided him when he was sick, mocked the RA and said she puts up with his crap all the time. So if she is not with him for sex and if she can't stand anything about him, why is she with him ?

Like I said before, if they wanted to make Amy normal , why get her with Sheldon in the first place, if they are not willing to change Sheldon ? The show told me the reason Amy wanted Sheldon back in 9x09 was because she missed their unique dynamic. But since then, they didn't actually SHOW that unique dynamic, save for a 1 minute TAG scene. They are shown having disagreements most of the time or Amy complaining. So what they tell us and what they actually show us are very different. I didn't see any episode where they indulge in cerebral stuff or even discuss science- in any of the 15 episodes since then.

Also, except for 9x23, I have not seen any episode since 9x10 where Sheldon was unpleasant to her. But I may be wrong.

I don't wanna go round and round about the same topic, so i'm gonna to stop now. I was just saying that SINCE the breakup, my complaints are more with Amy than Sheldon.

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, nibbler747 said:

I've been asked way too many times, if "my people" eat monkey brains, because of that scene in Indiana Jones..:icon_rolleyes:

Was that racism, or ignorance?

Are they trying to be offensive/insulting, or do they genuinely not know?

There was a case here in the UK, recently, where a young child (just started school, so probably 4 or 5 years old) asked a black classmate, if he was that color because he stayed out in the sun too long?

Instead of explaining, the teachers recorded his question as a "racial incident" on his school record, which will stay with him for the rest of his school years, and possibly beyond.

How is that child going to find things out, if he's now afraid to ask questions? :rolleyes: 

I don't know what the writers were planning for the episodes right after the Coitus one but this has been mentioned before.  Because of MAYIM'S BACK INJURY during the week the Coutus episode was being taped, her presence on the show was extremely light which is why we got the Skype calls and Amy being out of town for the following two episodes.

8 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

I don't know what the writers were planning for the episodes right after the Coitus one but this has been mentioned before.  Because of MAYIM'S BACK INJURY during the week the Coutus episode was being taped, her presence on the show was extremely light which is why we got the Skype calls and Amy being out of town for the following two episodes.

Not to be pedantic, but IIRC she injured her back on the weekend before they taped 9x12 (Dec 5th). So I think it might have always been the plan to have Amy out of town for that. But 9x13 (which was taped a week later) could have had some last minute adjustments.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, veejay said:

All right, I stopped keeping track of Sheldon’s interruptions on Lenny’s since…well, I don’t know.  :shy:

Regardless of that, I think they shouldn't mix up the couples too much in a way that can distract from the actual point. What happened with (to?) Lenny before is irrelevant. I'm pretty sure that Lenny fans would be happier if the cupid part was a completely separate storyline.

3 minutes ago, Mislav said:

Regardless of that, I think they shouldn't mix up the couples too much in a way that can distract from the actual point. What happened with (to?) Lenny before is irrelevant. I'm pretty sure that Lenny fans would be happier if the cupid part was a completely separate storyline.

I enjoyed the spontaneity of the cupid scene; the reckless abandon that Penny & Leonard displayed. They were acting “young and fun”!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ginny Hamilton said:

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this--an article from today's USA Today about tomorrow's show.  Interesting interviews.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/05/11/clashing-parents-heat-up-big-bang-theory-season-finale/84218968/

Thank you!

Most interesting bits:

“There is an unexpected attraction,” says executive producer Steven Molaro, who says the tentative plan is to pick up the story with the guest stars in the fall.

This is what I thought they'd do. Unless something doesn't work out S10 will pick up where S9 ended.

Bang is renewed through next season, but Molaro says the show could go further, if Warner Bros. can lure the actors into new contracts. “There’s a lot of people that have a say in that, but it certainly looks like it will have a life beyond (Season) 10."

I take it S11 is a sure thing and they're currently (maybe?) in talks for anything beyond.

• Like 8

Just now, April said:

Thank you!

Most interesting bits:

This is what I thought they'd do. Unless something doesn't work out S10 will pick up where S9 ended.

I take it S11 is a sure thing and they're currently (maybe?) in talks for anything beyond.

Those were my favorite bits as well!!!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I enjoyed the spontaneity of the cupid scene; the reckless abandon that Penny & Leonard displayed. They were acting “young and fun”!

It was a nice scene, just timed awfully which of course was deliberate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mislav said:

I think that the actual point was the words Sheldon  managed to utter before they burst through. They were important on their own.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, April said:

Thank you!

Most interesting bits:

and the fact it will immediately pick right up in S10 makes me happier.  Because there are too many arcs that were just left out there so at least they can continue on in S10 (not to mention we get a few more episodes of a lacking baby bump on Bernadette lol)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I agree that it was cute, but again, it's a question of timing (depending on the viewer).

1 minute ago, kerrycec03 said:

and the fact it will immediately pick right up in S10 makes me happier.  Because there are too many arcs that were just left out there so at least they can continue on in S10 (not to mention we get a few more episodes of a lacking baby bump on Bernadette lol)

Me too! I suspect if everything will work out they'll do something like they did in S9 and space out the episodes over the in-universe timeline between March and the holidays towards the end of the year. Maybe then Bernie's growing baby bump can be a marker of how much time passed. LOL

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mislav said:

Regardless of that, I think they shouldn't mix up the couples too much in a way that can distract from the actual point. What happened with (to?) Lenny before is irrelevant.

I found I could only be told so many time that's it fine to to have Shamy/Sheldon interrupt Lenny scenes, so they don't get too serious, without finding it highly ironic to hear complaints about Lenny interrupting a serious Shamy scene. I found it a highly entertaining bonus to have their scene interrupt a Shamy scene that had turned serious

6 minutes ago, Mislav said:

I'm pretty sure that Lenny fans would be happier if the cupid part was a completely separate storyline.

They did have a separate storyline.  The interruption didn't hinder Lenny's storyline at all as after they entered, the scene was all about them.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, kerrycec03 said:

Yes please. It's crucial at this point that there's no time-jump.

• Like 1

Also...if I remember correctly, Penny mentioned her family as possible guests and that her brother is out of prison now. I'm curious about how many family members will end up attending the wedding...

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Judith said:

Amy went back to him no questions asked, but that doesn't mean that she signed some kind of paper which says that for the rest of her life she has to be happy with everything Sheldon does. She did miss what they had but she also saw a different Sheldon that day, a Sheldon who was considerate and even complimented her.  

Then there were other things like Sheldon's speech in Earworm, the way he planned her birthday ( I'm one of the people who think that he should give her flowers occasionally, it's not going to kill him), the Skype call in Sales Call which gave us a clue that they had a talk about how to communicate better, Sheldon's admission during FwF, the way Amy handled him in 9x23 and  other things that I'm forgetting right now that  indicate that they've been working on their relationship together and separately and that there's a new understanding between them. Amy herself acknowledged in 9x23 that they were progressing and that they both fell back to old patterns. Why shouldn't she be frustrated about it? She was also very quick to forgive him after he actually made an appearance to apologise. 

No, she doesn't, but if she went back to him no questions asked, then she shouldn't be surprised none of her particular questions were addressed. I think I'm so annoyed with this because it's literally been exactly the same problems, and, worse, jokes, for going on four years now. Watching Amy is like listening to that friend who hasn't managed to break up for good with their terrible significant other for years, the SO who they know is not a good fit for them but stay with anyway for reasons that are arcane, confusing and infuriating to an outsider.

I wouldn't cite anything in 9x23 or the last FwF episode as great Shamy moments, to be honest, although I realise that is all up to interpretation. So far, their relationship developments in S9 Part 2 seem to all have been Amy "fixing" Sheldon. But let's be real, most likely all of this fixing won't ever amount to much, since if Sheldon lost his quirkiness he would lose his market value as trailer bait and iconic character. It's like the end of Iron Man 3, when Tony... does a thing that indicates he won't superhero no more, but you know that he's gonna be in the next Avengers movie anyway, so you know that particular bit of character development can just go right down the drain now, no matter how good it was. That's basically what Earworm and Opening Night felt like to me. They were sweet, sure, but if that was Sheldon's MO from now on, if he knew just the right things to say and do, showered Amy with flowers, willingly participated in relationship advice discussions for Ugh, Raj, took her out to restaurants to hold hands and generally turned into a normal, friendly boyfriend doing normal, friendly boyfriend things, where's the comedy in that? Weren't they the odd couple - but not in the sense that they were mismatched with each other, but mismatched with the rest of the world? (And that's not to say that he shouldn't do things with Amy that she likes; just that, in my opinion, it was a mistake to make everything that Amy likes so normal because that forces Sheldon to become normal if he wants to be with her, and why would he want that? Sheldon was good with being extraordinary. And for that matter, why would I, a non-shipper on this show, want that? I want to laugh at Sheldon's antics. They don't have to be maliciously directed at Amy, in fact I'd rather they were not, but they should still be in line with Sheldon's personality.)

Edited by A.D.A.
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Was that racism, or ignorance?

Are they trying to be offensive/insulting, or do they genuinely not know?

There was a case here in the UK, recently, where a young child (just started school, so probably 4 or 5 years old) asked a black classmate, if he was that color because he stayed out in the sun too long?

Instead of explaining, the teachers recorded his question as a "racial incident" on his school record, which will stay with him for the rest of his school years, and possibly beyond.

How is that child going to find things out, if he's now afraid to ask questions? :rolleyes: 

Well context is extremely important.

A child asks questions out of curiosity and innocence.  If a child asked me that question, I would not be offended and would simply answer the question and give them a little information.  It's unfortunate that the child you mention had his school record marked that way.  I would think the teacher would have used their judgment, especially with a child so young in age.  If the child was older, I'd wonder the question was legit or was used to tease.

In my case, this occurred during university and shortly after.  It was said in a snide jeering tone, so in that case, yes, I would think they are just being racist.

That is not to say that there are people out there that ask questions, purely to learn and out of curiosity without bad intentions.  I keep that in mind.  Like I said in the beginning, it's all about context.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

Well context is extremely important.

A child asks questions out of curiosity and innocence.  If a child asked me that question, I would not be offended and would simply answer the question and give them a little information.  It's unfortunate that the child you mention had his school record marked that way.  I would think the teacher would have used their judgment, especially with a child so young in age.  If the child was older, I'd wonder the question was legit or was used to tease.

In my case, this occurred during university and shortly after.  It was said in a snide jeering tone, so in that case, yes, I would think they are just being racist.

That is not to say that there are people out there that ask questions, purely to learn and out of curiosity without bad intentions.  I keep that in mind.  Like I said in the beginning, it's all about context.

There is so much in our "modern" society that is just unfathomable.....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

That's an opinion I am never going to understand. I've seen anything as humiliatingly jejune as that moment in the series. Those outfits were horrific and ugly, their behavior was just plain moronic, and I wish nothing but buckets of brain bleach on everyone to forget it happened because it was trying so, so hard to be young and fun but only came off as desperate, pathetically desperate. Because who does that? Who puts on bad lingeree and then goes around frolicking and throwing confetti at their roommates? No one does that. No one I have ever seen does that, it's just a desperate attempt to regain some aspect of youth they never even had, and that's pathetic. Reason gazillion to loathe the back half of this season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A.D.A. said:

No, she doesn't, but if she went back to him no questions asked, then she shouldn't be surprised none of her particular questions were addressed. I think I'm so annoyed with this because it's literally been exactly the same problems, and, worse, jokes, for going on four years now. Watching Amy is like listening to that friend who hasn't managed to break up for good with their terrible significant other for years, the SO who they know is not a good fit for them but stay with anyway for reasons that are arcane, confusing and infuriating to an outsider.

I wouldn't cite anything in 9x23 or the last FwF episode as great Shamy moments, to be honest, although I realise that is all up to interpretation. So far, their relationship developments in S9 Part 2 seem to all have been Amy "fixing" Sheldon. But let's be real, most likely all of this fixing won't ever amount to much, since if Sheldon lost his quirkiness he would lose his market value as trailer bait and iconic character. It's like the end of Iron Man 3, when Tony... does a thing that indicates he won't superhero no more, but you know that he's gonna be in the next Avengers movie anyway, so you know that particular bit of character development can just go right down the drain now, no matter how good it was. That's basically what Earworm and Opening Night felt like to me. They were sweet, sure, but if that was Sheldon's MO from now on, if he knew just the right things to say and do, showered Amy with flowers, willingly participated in relationship advice discussions for Ugh, Raj, took her out to restaurants to hold hands and generally turned into a normal, friendly boyfriend doing normal, friendly boyfriend things, where's the comedy in that? (And that's not to say that he shouldn't do things with Amy that she likes - just that, in my opinion, it was a mistake to make everything that Amy likes so normal because that forces Sheldon to become normal if he wants to be with her, and why would he want that? Sheldon was good with being extraordinary.)

I think that her main concern was Sheldon's commitment, and that was answered for her. The thing is, she was frustrated in 9x23 because she  knew that both of them were making progress. Sheldon (and her) changed and a big part of that change was during the break-up. It's not like they got back together and Amy gave him a list of her demands, it was a joined effort. But then Sheldon made that blunder in 9x23. And then he made that apology, which let's be honest, could have been better, and she immediately accepted it. I mean, I really don't think that one mistake erases everything that has happened before. But you see it as Sheldon being fixed by Amy and then just proving that he hasn't changed, so we're not going to agree. 

Shamy progress excruciatingly slowly, so they're going to have the same problems for a long time. They've both changed and they've both lost a lot of their initial "quirkiness" and that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Btw, I put quirkiness in quotes because I'm 100% sure that particular elements tgat were at first perceived as quirkines were really issues that if they weren't addressed, the characters would end up with a lot more problems than they begun snd a lot of unhappiness. Anyway, personally, I'm satisfied with the quirkiness they have retained and don't have a problem with how they've changed. And I really don't think that Sheldon's characteristics (or comedy in general) have to be sacrificed for his relationship with Amy, or the opposite. The writers themselves acknowledged through Amy in 9x23 that what happened was them going back.

Lastly, about the flowers etc., a sweet gesture or two occassionally or flowers on birthdays/anniversaries is really not much to ask. We've seen them not be normal (whatever that is) in Platonic, Sales Call, Valentino, Big Bear...

But  let's agree to disagree.

Edited by Judith
forgot something
  • Like 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic