[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9

Tensor

I think if you are going to rate seasons it should be about originality, funniest,the science and group dynamics. It should really not be about who you ship. So for me the early season were the funniest so I will go with them.. As a shipper S8 & 4 were the worst seasons but as viewer of the show and not so funny, it would be S9 & 7

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

I think if you are going to rate seasons it should be about originality, funniest,the science and group dynamics. It should really not be about who you ship. So for me the early season were the funniest so I will go with them.. As a shipper S8 & 4 were the worst seasons but as viewer of the show and not so funny, it would be S9 & 7

I think that there is no such thing as "should/should not be". Everyone will rate them how they want to, and if someone wants to rate them according to what they ship, I see nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

I think that there is no such thing as "should/should not be". Everyone will rate them how they want to, and if someone wants to rate them according to what they ship, I see nothing wrong with that.

^^^^^

Me either. I just think it appropriate to view seasons as what gave you the most laughs in all directions and as a lover of the show not who you ship. We all signed up to watch a comedy show in respective of who we ship.

22 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

actually mine is not about my ship at all.  I look at all 23 episodes of a season and see how many I loved, group or ship.  I simply do not laugh as much during 1 & 2 as I do in 5 or 7.  My favorites episodes, not ship related, occurred in S4 and later (Love Car, Scavenger Vortex).

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

^^^^^

Me either. I just think it appropriate to view seasons as what gave you the most laughs in all directions and as a lover of the show not who you ship. We all signed up to watch a comedy show in respective of who we ship.

My list is about what gave me the greatest joy. That it is wrapped into my ship is the way that it is. For me, there is equal amount of comedy to be found in each episode. One of the funniest moments of the series came in my least favorite season----8.  Penny, after listening to Sheldon expound on the reason his and Amy's relationship is the best, says words to the effect of "Isn't this the part where he says 'bazooka' or something?".  Season 7, toward the lower-middle of my list included some hilarious moments from Bernadette, especially during the wine-train trip she took with Howard and Sheldon and Amy.  Each of our lists are in the eyes of the beholder and none are more or less wrong or correct than any other....

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

I get where you're coming from. I'm not really a tv person and getting me to watch a show is extremely difficult. I started watching by chance, and I did laugh more in the first seasons. Laughter isn't enough for me to keep watching, though. If it weren't for a ship I would have stopped by now, so for me that's the main characterestic I judge the seasons by.

• Like 3

If we are talking about episodes then yes most of mine will be Lenny episodes but as we are talking about seasons I think it should be about the whole show dynamics. I thought s1 & 2 were very funny and I still laugh out loud whenever I watch. But each for their own and I respect your opinion and would never question you or anyone for not liking any seasons. Was just saying.

• Like 2

actually mine is not about my ship at all.  I look at all 23 episodes of a season and see how many I loved, group or ship.  I simply do not laugh as much during 1 & 2 as I do in 5 or 7.  My favorites episodes, not ship related, occurred in S4 and later (Love Car, Scavenger Vortex).

If we are talking about episodes then yes most of mine will be Lenny episodes but as we are talking about seasons I think it should be about the whole show dynamics. I thought s1 & 2 were very funny and I still laugh out loud whenever I watch. But each for their own and I respect your opinion and would never question you or anyone for not liking any seasons. Was just saying.

Was meant to quote your post. 😊

6,1,3,2,         4,   7,   5,                                                                                                                                                                                        9,

8

• Like 1

Let's see... Items in parentheses mean that I can't really choose between them:

(5,4), (2,3), (6,8), 7,9,1.

I can't pretend this isn't influenced by 'shippy feelings, because the Shamy of seasons four and five-and, importantly, the shamenny of seasons four and five-make me grin like an imbecile. But I do also genuinely think that seasons two to five of the show had the show at its best, using its crackerjack ensemble and sharp characterisation. And season six, as a recent exchange with Carlos reminded me, has some of my favourite moments of the show, plus some beautiful work from Damn Treasure Simon Helberg (as does Season Five). And Season Eight-well, I know the show basically dropped the ball on every storyline that was not Shamy in that season, but I do also think that Champagne, Prom and Misinterpretation are genuinely fantastic bits of TV. If you like Leonard, I don't see how you can't love Champagne. Honest to goodness.

• Like 1

Well, I think Season 9 was MUCH better than Season 8, even with the Shamy split at first. The ending of Season 8 almost did me in.  However, my favorite episode to date was "Adhesive Duck Deficiency"--it had tons of relationships and lots of science, too--but the best part was Leonard, Raj & Howard camping out to watch a meteor shower and being drugged by hippy school teachers.  Those 3 were SO funny, and you usually don't pick up on that because Sheldon takes all the oxygen from the room!

• Like 1

Well, I think Season 9 was MUCH better than Season 8, even with the Shamy split at first. The ending of Season 8 almost did me in.  However, my favorite episode to date was "Adhesive Duck Deficiency"--it had tons of relationships and lots of science, too--but the best part was Leonard, Raj & Howard camping out to watch a meteor shower and being drugged by hippy school teachers.  Those 3 were SO funny, and you usually don't pick up on that because Sheldon takes all the oxygen from the room!

I picked up on it. I also thought the guys getting stoned was hilarious and scenes like that is what made the earlier seasons so great. Sometimes I wish for episode like that. I laughed so hard at the end of the scene when Raj and Leonard were rolling on the ground laughing at Howard confession. Pure comedy gold.

As far as episodes go, since I can't be bothered deciding between Shamy episodes I'll say my favourite is Scavenger. Amy and Howard are the best! And it was an all around very entertaining, quick-paced and joyful episode. The funniest scene for me in the show was Leonard in the car with screen!Sheldon. I had to pause the video several times otherwise I'd just die from lack of oxygen :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:.

I love the early seasons because they still make me laugh out loud.  Season 9 had a season long science theme, but for the most part, it was just in the background.

In 2010 Konstantin Novoselov won the Nobel Prize in Physics for his work in graphene, and in his Nobel Prize lecture he listed "The Big Bang Theory" as one of the applications of graphene.  The episode was "The Einstein Approximation", and Novoselov wrote:

Fans of the American sitcom The Big Bang Theory (splendidly produced by Chuck Lorre) might recall the episode ‘The Einstein Approximation’ in which string theorist Sheldon Cooper tries to resolve ‘the graphene problem’: why do quasiparticles in graphene behave like massless Dirac fermions? (Fig. 11) The whole crew is great as usual, particularly actor Jim Parsons’ grotesquely brilliant depiction of the tough but enjoyable process of searching for a solution to a scientific problem. It is also probably the best episode from a physics point of view ...

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2010/novoselov_lecture.pdf

I'd love to see more scientific episodes like this during the next season.  Stuff that actual Nobel Prize winners enjoy.  I think it is beyond cool that Jim Parsons' work is cited in a Nobel lecture.

Edited by Lady in Red
  • Like 6

To weigh in here, my favourite has been and continues to be season 6 and the rest... well, in no particular order. There are episodes in each season I really liked that were either funny or quirky or romantic and then there were episodes that just left me :scratchhead:. All in all, every show/sitcom has its highs and lows. 

• Like 1

Season 6 for me. I love s3 too. But Show was at its peak. Its been a slow gradual decline since then. With every now and then gems. S7 was really good too. But it was also the start the pointless dream sequences era lol. So to me season 6 was when it wss last consistently cannon. Seeing Lenny are my Otp. That was their best season. For once you saw Pennys insecurities. Her saying ily for the first time. Bakersfield probably the shows best episode and work. It was really the show at its peak in terms of uniqueness and freshness. Show could of easily ended in s6 finalie. With Lenny getting married the end. But alas shows too popular. These days too many repeated cannon, too many nonsensical gags or sequences, too many recycled storylines. Lack of consistency. S6 had the perfect balance of geekiness and nerdyness. And the relationship aspect. But if were going in Order of best to worst

6, 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 7, 9, 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Season 6 for me. I love s3 too. But Show was at its peak. Its been a slow gradual decline since then. With every now and then gems. S7 was really good too. But it was also the start the pointless dream sequences era lol. So to me season 6 was when it wss last consistently cannon. Seeing Lenny are my Otp. That was their best season. For once you saw Pennys insecurities. Her saying ily for the first time. Bakersfield probably the shows best episode and work. It was really the show at its peak in terms of uniqueness and freshness. Show could of easily ended in s6 finalie. With Lenny getting married the end. But alas shows too popular. These days too many repeated cannon, too many nonsensical gags or sequences, too many recycled storylines. Lack of consistency. S6 had the perfect balance of geekiness and nerdyness. And the relationship aspect. But if were going in Order of best to worst

6, 3, 2, 5, 1, 7, 9, 

Your forgot 4.

Seems to me all the seasons have both some good and some not so good episodes. Then there are some bad episodes. I don't really try to rank seasons.

There were a few points in the overall series where I questioned if I was going to continue to watch it. Most notable was 4.24. (also 3.21 and 4.15). Throw in 3.19 and  would say those episodes really got me wondering if I even still liked the series. Thing was 4.21 had the nicotine addiction study with the smoking monkey which I found really funny so I kept watching but for a while I was not sure I wanted to admit to it.

Generally I prefer watching new episodes to one's I have seen already.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kerrycec03 said:

to me, my favorite seasons in order of best to worst are (so 9 is right in the middle for me)

5, 8, 7, 4, 9, 6, 3, 1, 2

Amazing how people can watch the same show and think so differently. For me from best to worst the order is:

• Like 1

Worst was definately SEason 8. Don't care what anyone says. From PEnny's hair to the cringe worthy gags and episodes like Intmacy Accelertion. It was an all time low in writing for the series. Season 9 was far better. But it coulden't get any worser then one of the worst seasons in sitcom history imo. To reiterate best was definately Season 6. But my fav is Season 3. 

• Like 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic