Jump to content

[Spoilers] Discussion Topic: Season 9


Tensor
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Agree with you 100%. Bolded part: agree 200%. The only thing that sincerely troubles me is that after the coitus episode they have shown no interest from Sheldon to Amy (as a woman). It is as if it had never happened. I thought it was going to be a stepping stone, but they (TPTB) didn't do anything with it.

Well Amy's birthday won't be before December. I'm guessing they will deal with it then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

And when has Amy desired Sheldon ? She finds him attractive and enjoyed it but  it is not like she is drooling over Sheldon and getting rejected every episode either.

 

You are kidding, right? You don't consider her "I wish you were here" in 912, her "Maybe later I’ll, uh, get to see you in your birthday suit.", her disappointment after 919 after Sheldon sent her home as something that shows her desire? And all those silly giggly looks she has whenever talking about their first time (916, 920). The fact she wants to do it again doesn't show her desire? What does Amy have to do then? Dance naked in front Sheldon and flirt with him? 

 

0.jpg

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

You are kidding, right? You don't consider her "I wish you were here" in 912, her "Maybe later I’ll, uh, get to see you in your birthday suit.", her disappointment after 919 after Sheldon sent her home as something that shows her desire? And all those silly giggly looks she has whenever talking about their first time (916, 920). The fact she wants to do it again doesn't show her desire? What does Amy have to do then? Dance naked in front Sheldon and flirt with him? 

 

0.jpg

Oh Im gonna beat @StephenHawking to the punch!

"I should've taken my breasts out when I had the chance..."

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

You are kidding, right? You don't consider her "I wish you were here" in 912, her "Maybe later I’ll, uh, get to see you in your birthday suit.", her disappointment after 919 after Sheldon sent her home as something that shows her desire? And all those silly giggly looks she has whenever talking about their first time (916, 920). The fact she wants to do it again doesn't show her desire? What does Amy have to do then? Dance naked in front Sheldon and flirt with him? 

 

0.jpg

Amy doesn't have to do anything. She just has to tell him bluntly and have a conversation about sex. 

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

Amy doesn't have to do anything. She just has to tell him bluntly and have a conversation about sex. 

The reason Amy won't tell Sheldon bluntly is because the writers need those horny-Amy-obilivious-Sheldon jokes. Also that's another problem. I think a lot of people agree that Shamy need to work on their communications. But I thought we were talking about whether Amy desires Sheldon???

 

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^I feel they both desire each other equally or just enough.  I mean, I don't feel that Amy desires Sheldon anymore than Sheldon desires her. . They were never a very sexual couple. Even for Amy, the sex was more about closeness and progress than them not being able to control themselves. They were both largely cool and indifferent to sex since 9x11. Amy was harmlessly flirting with Sheldon about the birthday suit, she looked happy afterwords at the party.

Because if it was a serious problem for her that could make or break the relationship, wouldn't she have said it by now ?Maybe they will do a Love Spell potential type scene in s10 about Sheldon's deal , but we'll just have to wait and see.  And I personally think it would be cool to have an off-beat couple where both partners are kinda indifferent/ not obsessed with sex. Amy did say "works for me" about the once an year sex thing in 9x11. So if it works for both of them, what is the issue ?

Edited by serena_nyc1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the bottom line is that the writers are probably afraid of making Sheldon "too normal" and thus - in their minds - less funny. Amy craving more physical contact and Sheldon acting like, well, Sheldon, is a lot funnier for the casual viewer than them being all over one another. Again, this is how I think TPTB view this whole relationship.

Personally, I think there's a lot of potential for great comedy by having Shamy be more physical and making everyone around them a little uncomfortable with it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

^^I feel they both desire each other equally or just enough.  I mean, I don't feel that Amy desires Sheldon anymore than Sheldon desires her. . They were never a very sexual couple. Even for Amy, the sex was more about closeness and progress than them not being able to control themselves. They were both largely cool and indifferent to sex since 9x11. Amy was harmlessly flirting with Sheldon about the birthday suit, she looked happy afterwords at the party.

Because if it was a serious problem for her that could make or break the relationship, wouldn't she have said it by now ?Maybe they will do a Love Spell potential type scene in s10 about Sheldon's deal , but we'll just have to wait and see.  And I personally think it would be cool to have an off-beat couple where both partners are kinda indifferent/ not obsessed with sex. Amy did say "works for me" about the once an year sex thing in 9x11. So if it works for both of them, what is the issue ?

Interesting.

'Cause I remember you said once that the only reason Amy's with Sheldon is for sex. But now she doesn't desire Sheldon anymore than Sheldon desires her? Hum...

Or, maybe she is horny and pathetic when people need to argue that she's not good enough for Sheldon, but "indifferent" about sex when people try to argue that Sheldon is the flawless, perfect boyfriend and Amy should feel 100% happy all the time.

Anyway, always an eye opening experience reading your posts. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

I think the bottom line is that the writers are probably afraid of making Sheldon "too normal" and thus - in their minds - less funny. Amy craving more physical contact and Sheldon acting like, well, Sheldon, is a lot funnier for the casual viewer than them being all over one another. Again, this is how I think TPTB view this whole relationship.

Personally, I think there's a lot of potential for great comedy by having Shamy be more physical and making everyone around them a little uncomfortable with it. 

They differentiate their show by having a lead character who is not primarily motivated by matters of the loins. It works, so they've little motivation to lose that. If one wants other things  then there are other shows. As long as generally  people  are buying it, then they will continue to sell it. They are really doing a fabulous job of making commercial television content.  People keep coming back (Bad news sells papers) . At some point they will wane but they will have achieved something pretty exceptional by running 10+ seasons. Even if at the end it's not actually that pretty or coherent. At least they will have commercially thrived. #itsnotart (lol)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Interesting.

'Cause I remember you said once that the only reason Amy's with Sheldon is for sex. But now she doesn't desire Sheldon anymore than Sheldon desires her? Hum...

Or, maybe she is horny and pathetic when people need to argue that she's not good enough for Sheldon, but "indifferent" about sex when people try to argue that Sheldon is the flawless, perfect boyfriend and Amy should feel 100% happy all the time.

Anyway, always an eye opening experience reading your posts. 

 

I said the only positive thing about their relationship that she mentioned was the sex in 9x11. How does that equate to "she is horny and wants to do it again" ? Neither of them has shown much interest in having sex again, but   neither of them have much in common anymore either. The 2 facts are completely independent. Again, if it was that big of a problem, don't you think she would have said it by now ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

I said the only positive thing about their relationship that she mentioned was the sex in 9x11. How does that equate to "she is horny and wants to do it again" ? Neither of them has shown much interest in having sex again, but   neither of them have much in common anymore either. The 2 facts are completely independent. Again, if it was that big of a problem, don't you think she would have said it by now ? 

First, I never said "the only positive thing about their relationship that she mentioned was the sex in 9x11" equate to "she's horny and wants to do it again".  

What I said is, in one of your posts, you said Amy has changed to this girl now who's only with Sheldon for sex. I'm sorry if that doesn't equate to "horny and wants to do it again" I don't know what does.

"Neither of them has shown much interest in having sex again?" Seriously? How about the examples I gave in my previous posts? Like Amy literally suggests it in 9x17 to have sex again. She's eager to see Sheldon without his pants on. She describes their first time as "Sheldon rocked her world". I think all these things indicate she desires him and wants to get intimate with him again.

And you're right. Amy should've said it by now. That's why I find it disturbing. The writers make Amy look horny in those examples I gave. But for whatever reason, they don't let Amy say it.  

I'm sorry I think our conversation is going nowhere. Because every time I try to argue something, you bring up a completely different subject and it got me like??????

So I'm just gonna repeat my opinions again. I think the writers are showing Amy's desire pretty explicitly. But they won't her say it, which leads to inconsistencies and illogicalities in Amy's behaviors. As for Sheldon's desire, I used to think he has it. After 9x11, I'm not sure any more.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, camelliayao said:

Interesting.

'Cause I remember you said once that the only reason Amy's with Sheldon is for sex. But now she doesn't desire Sheldon anymore than Sheldon desires her? Hum...

Or, maybe she is horny and pathetic when people need to argue that she's not good enough for Sheldon, but "indifferent" about sex when people try to argue that Sheldon is the flawless, perfect boyfriend and Amy should feel 100% happy all the time.

Anyway, always an eye opening experience reading your posts. 

 

Wow.  I don't get how that post got to that interpretation.  How did Amy get pathetic and Sheldon the perfect boyfriend?

Sheldon and Amy used to have a lot in common, which was fun to watch.  I like that they "got" each other.   What made me sad over the years is them getting each other is getting weaker.  The last episode really highlighted that to me.  Why was Amy in a "mom" role to Sheldon?  It's felt a little too often this season that Sheldon is behaving like a child and Amy is the annoyed suffering girlfriend.  I'd prefer if they were both annoying together (but not childish)  

I think some really clever writing could make their budding sexual relationship interesting.  I think it's clear that they do love each other.  They are in new waters and are figuring things out.  When one has been so rigid in their way of thinking is not going to change overnight.  If written well it could be unique and sweet.  If!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

Wow.  I don't get how that post got to that interpretation.  How did Amy get pathetic and Sheldon the perfect boyfriend?

Sheldon and Amy used to have a lot in common, which was fun to watch.  I like that they "got" each other.   What made me sad over the years is them getting each other is getting weaker.  The last episode really highlighted that to me.  Why was Amy in a "mom" role to Sheldon?  It's felt a little too often this season that Sheldon is behaving like a child and Amy is the annoyed suffering girlfriend.  I'd prefer if they were both annoying together (but not childish)  

I think some really clever writing could make their budding sexual relationship interesting.  I think it's clear that they do love each other.  They are in new waters and are figuring things out.  When one has been so rigid in their way of thinking is not going to change overnight.  If written well it could be unique and sweet.  If!

I'm sorry, I don't get how my post got to that interpretation. I never said the Amy the pathetic girlfriend and Sheldon the perfect boyfriend is concluded from that post. The third paragraph was just an observation of me from reading some of the posts on the forum. 

The rest of your post, I agree. Except maybe I don't really believe the writers will ever try to figure the sex thing out between Shamy. I just don't believe in them anymore, since they wasted the whole 13 episodes after 9x11.

 

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, djsurrey said:

It seems kind of like the arraignment is treated as part of a magic potion the writers lucked into that made a successful series. Mess with the incantation and perhaps the magic goes away. Perhaps superstition but no one could have predicted the success of TBBT when it started. Like some hockey players who won't shave once they get into playoffs the writers don't want to separate Leonard from Sheldon.

http://everything.explained.today/Playoff_beard/

HA! Should have thought of that! Three, after all, is a magic number....

 

 

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I'm sorry, I don't get how my post got to that interpretation. I never said the Amy the pathetic girlfriend and Sheldon the perfect boyfriend is concluded from that post. The third paragraph was just an observation of me from reading some of the posts on the forum. 

The rest of your post, I agree. Except maybe I don't really believe the writers will ever try to figure the sex thing out between Shamy. I just don't believe in them anymore, since they wasted the whole 13 episodes after 9x11.

 

Yes I understood that.  What I didn't get was your interpretation of the other's posts on here.  That's fine.  We see things a bit differently.

You know from my fanfics that I was a huge fan of Amy.  Coming out of Season 8 my love for her was still strong.  Somehow this season really killed it for me. I don't know....she seems...bored?  Apathetic?  Penny also strikes me as a bit bored.  Sheldon has been reduced from witty to infantile which was also sigh inducing.   I went from biting my nails in S9E1 to getting less invested as the season went on.  Hmmm...I just kind of lost my spark for the couple.  Now...I would like to get it back.  I guess time will tell!  Fingers crossed .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

Yes I understood that.  What I didn't get was your interpretation of the other's posts on here.  That's fine.  We see things a bit differently.

You know from my fanfics that I was a huge fan of Amy.  Coming out of Season 8 my love for her was still strong.  Somehow this season really killed it for me. I don't know....she seems...bored?  Apathetic?  Penny also strikes me as a bit bored.  Sheldon has been reduced from witty to infantile which was also sigh inducing.   I went from biting my nails in S9E1 to getting less invested as the season went on.  Hmmm...I just kind of lost my spark for the couple.  Now...I would like to get it back.  I guess time will tell!  Fingers crossed .

I feel all the things you feel here. But I guess I just couldn't tolerate Sheldon's changes more. I have a soft spot for Amy. Just like you couldn't tolerate Amy more and you have a soft spot for Sheldon.

And honestly I can only tell you were a huge fan of Shamy (maybe Sheldon) from your fanfics, not particularly a huge fan of Amy. Don't get me wrong. I looooooovvvvvvvve your Shamy fanfics. I just don't see it and of course it's only my opinion. I could be terribly wrong.

Edited by camelliayao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's interesting to hear.  I guess what I was trying to do was write a situation that was quite empathetic to Amy.  Sheldon was the one being self centered in my story.  I wanted them both to call each other out though and not have it one sided.  Both definitely have made mistakes but they are human.  

My best friend, he is very much like Sheldon in a lot of ways.  So I do have a soft spot.  I identified with Amy though in feeling alone and left out when I was younger.  So I loved these two different but isolated souls coming together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

My best friend, he is very much like Sheldon in a lot of ways.  So I do have a soft spot.  I identified with Amy though in feeling alone and left out when I was younger.  So I loved these two different but isolated souls coming together.

I got intrigued by Shamy for more or less the same reasons...There's in my life a person who is pretty much like Sheldon, so I kind of "get" the character and forgive some of his flaws because I know where he is coming from. On the other hand, I also identified with Amy's struggles in growing up alone and in her coping mechanisms when she was first introduced.  Her "enthusiasm" when she entered a new and accepting group of people and how she wanted to live all the experiences she didn't have in her adolescence hit close to home, too, it's more or less what happened to me. 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't want Sheldon and Amy to be more physical. It wouldn't feel like something they would do, especially Sheldon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheldon was the " Beautiful mind genius guy"  and together with Amy , they were the power couple. They both exchanged "word of the day", science puns, social experiments , talked about creating intellectually superior kids and hung out without speaking for hours. But now, they have reduced him to be a whiny child, who can't function without directions from Amy. And Amy is someone to "fix" or "change"  him. Its bad enough that Howard also literally called Bernie his "mother" once . So much dysfunction !

Sheldon and Amy weren't flawless and they didn't need to be. There is nothing wrong in being like Spock and IMO, I was soooo sad to see the character give up on Spock in 9x07 for the sake of generic relationship problems. That is why Sheldon  turning away from Spock in season 9 was the end of Sheldon Cooper for me :-(. The writers made Spock  into someone who  tricked Sheldon into thinking that he can exist without emotions. It showed that the writers don’t understand Spock and Sheldon. Spock had emotions too but he never let himself be changed fundamentally. But Sheldon did. Sheldon has lost himself because he no longer admires Spock.

Destroying the unique and turning  it into the ordinary is what TBBT does best, sadly. Shamy uniqueness was destroyed in season 5 so I don't need to argue about that anymore.  

Sure, it would be great to see Sheldon be a totally normal boyfriend to Amy and have regular sex with her , but imo it  would be better for Amy to be a slightly unique partner for Sheldon. Picking confirmity over individuality is a  message that I don't care for. Being an outsider and still being yourself is more interesting to me  than being like everyone else. Why can't they both be above sexual desires ? Why can't they both enjoy it a few times a year and be happy ? 

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, there's a lot of talk here about Sheldon's motivation and timing for coitus with Amy, and plenty of mention about the role of Professor Proton and his ghost psyche, however, I don't see mention of one particular line.

Why did Professor Proton/Sheldon's unconsciousness say that "there is only a limited time you can be with this girl"?

Why did Sheldon feel his time with Amy was "limited"?  What did he think the outcome would be if he didn't 'put out'? That she'd leave him? Find someone who would deliver the goods?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, April said:

Exactly. There's a context to this scene - it was all about deciding to spend time with Amy on her birthday. For better or for worse, birthdays are a reminder of getting older and as time passes by everyone is inevitably getting closer to the day they die. So while it sounds pretty bleak it fits that it's coming from Arthur cause last time we saw him like that it was after his death and he was urging Sheldon to appreciate the people in his life. It's a lovely callback to that.

This, the conversation with Lenny also probably reinforced on a subconscious level the whole birthday thing and you only have some many birthdays in your life even though Sheldon at first was pretty dismissive of that notion with his line about getting older.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreeing with what serena wrote.

I really liked the Shamy relationship in Season 4 when they were both very unique individuals who seemed to love their relationship of the mind. This was different type of relationship that we usually see. They were above the ordinary, a completely  unique relationship from the usual and it served as nice counterpoint to what the other couples were doing. Not only did it keep the other characters puzzled but it wonderfully reinforced Howard's Season 3 final line 'My God. What have we done?' I'm sorry that they had the couple slip and slide down into the ordinary relationship muck and drama, rather than continuing to  sit on high, feeling superior and comment on the love/ relationship foibles of the others as if they were researchers observing a pack of poo flinging squabbling monkeys. JMO, but I really liked It when the Shamy were written like that. It was unique, wonderful, and fun to watch. Now, foe me, not so much.

Edited by 5Mississippis
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.