Jump to content

Chit Chat: Season 9


Tensor
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Nibbler I love you to death but yes I can deny it. The concept as she expressed it is a anti man political concept used to solely blame men for the ills of the world and has no place in a discussion of a damn sitcom

Sorry.  I completely disagree. It's like saying you can't be pro-equality, if you acknowledge issues that have occurred historically/presently.  I'm not going to derail the thread with this.  I'm out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Except that the producers and casting directors must have a different opinion, as she's been one of the busier actresses over the last ten years or so.  

Perhaps her co-stars can afford to be more selective with their work, or only appear in movies and productions which they believe will benefit their career rather than lower their reputation as respected actors. Just because Kaley may be inclined to take any job she is offered doesn't make her a better actress.

Films such as Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, Hop and The Wedding Ringer aren't exactly Oscar worthy stuff, are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Stewie99 said:

Perhaps her co-stars can afford to be more selective with their work, or only appear in movies and productions which they believe will benefit their career rather than lower their reputation as respected actors. Just because Kaley may be inclined to take any job she is offered doesn't make her a better actress.

That's the point, if it is lowering her reputation, she wouldn't get any work.  She continues to get work, so the producers and casting directors are not seeing a bad reputation.   Sandra Bullock's Razzie hasn't seem to have had an effect on her career.  

 

2 minutes ago, Stewie99 said:

Films such as Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, Hop and The Wedding Ringer aren't exactly Oscar worthy stuff, are they?

Because every movie an actor does has to be oscar worthy or it's worthless?  BTW, the majority of movies aren't oscar worthy.  The only thing the studio's worry about is did it make a profit?   The Wedding ringer made 79 million with a budget of 23 million.  So, yes, that was profitable.  Same with The Chipmunks, with $84 million gross.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Stewie99 said:

Perhaps her co-stars can afford to be more selective with their work, or only appear in movies and productions which they believe will benefit their career rather than lower their reputation as respected actors. Just because Kaley may be inclined to take any job she is offered doesn't make her a better actress.

Films such as Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, Hop and The Wedding Ringer aren't exactly Oscar worthy stuff, are they?

As compared to Jim Parsons in Normal Heart. Kind of like Michael Jordan in a basketball movie or Lady Gaga in a Musical. Not like a role that was out of his comfort zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chrismo said:

As compared to Jim Parsons in Normal Heart. Kind of like Michael Jordan in a basketball movie or Lady Gaga in a Musical. Not like a role that was out of his comfort zone.

Jim was great in "the normal heart". He even got an emmy nomination for that. The movie itself was great as well and won a lot of awards.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stewie99 said:

It does show that many people don't rate Kaley as an actress, especially after her Golden Raspberry Award for 2 separate films.

1 hour ago, Cindi May said:

Jim was great in "the normal heart". He even got an emmy nomination for that. The movie itself was great as well and won a lot of awards.

She is good in TBBT which is a role she is used to and is written for her, but when it comes to other films she hasn't had much success

The role in Normal Heart was a role right in his wheel house. IMO it wasn't exactly difficult and sort of written just for him. The other post basically suggested she was a bad actress and Penny was written just for her. I'm not seeing the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chrismo said:

As compared to Jim Parsons in Normal Heart. Kind of like Michael Jordan in a basketball movie or Lady Gaga in a Musical. Not like a role that was out of his comfort zone.

Dont diminish other actors works in order to defend her. Jim did a wonderful job independently if it was a role he might have felt a connection to, or not. Period.

Kaley is a talented actress and this "award" wont do any harm to her  extensive career. She still can be the next Aniston, or much, much better than that. Kaley'll do great.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chrismo said:

The role in Normal Heart was a role right in his wheel house. IMO it wasn't exactly difficult and sort of written just for him. <snip>

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the role being "right in his wheel house"?  Anyway, a few facts about that project....

The role of Tommy in the Normal Heart was not written for Jim.  Larry Kramer's play first premiered Off-Broadway in 1985.  Jim portrayed Tommy in the 2011 revival on Broadway for which he received an Ensemble Drama Desk Award, an individual Theater World Award and rave critical reviews.  The play itself won a Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play.

For the HBO movie, Larry Kramer wrote one additional spotlight scene for Jim, as he did for many of the other actors. The script itself was "fleshed out" as they were no longer confined to the limits of a Broadway stage.   Jim received a Best Supporting Emmy nomination for his portrayal.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andy_90's_generation said:

Dont diminish other actors works in order to defend her. Jim did a wonderful job independently if it was a role he might have felt a connection to, or not. Period.

Kaley is a talented actress and this "award" wont do any harm to her  extensive career. She still can be the next Aniston, or much, much better than that. Kaley'll do great.

 

But you seemed alright with the other poster diminishing Kaley. Didn't admonish them. To be honest didn't see Normal Heart. Not really my cup of tea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh Jims a pretty one degree actor. Snl showed he can only do Sheldon. As did Nh. Imo he only got nominate yes he was good. But as hes a industry fav. Kaley welll be fine. Who Said Razzies mean any thing? Who decides them? Kaley could become the next Anniston imo. Its all scripts. The wedding ringer is kinda stupid lol tbh. To say shes a bad actress simply based on a movie not being Oscar worthy. Is just stupid. Jen won two golden globes for Friend's. Yet been in no Oscar winning films. Yet shes made studios millions of profit. Kaley is the same. She won't be casted because of her acting. But her potential to be a movie star. And the role of Penny worked cos of Kaley. She is the entire premise. Show does not work without her. Yes about two physicists. But without Kaley premise is very dark Nd cynical. Kaleys comedic timing is also second to none imo.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Tbh Jims a pretty one degree actor. Snl showed he can only do Sheldon. As did Nh.

Oh, I see...so they gave him an Emmy nomination for his role in The Normal Heart because they thought they were still voting for Best Actor in a Comedy Series, LOL! Since he won the Emmy in that category that year, I understand their confusion!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His role in "The normal heart" was nothing like Sheldon. Actually a lot of people who saw him in that thought he was wasting his time doing "The big bang theory" (some of my friends included) and that he should do more dramatic roles. You know that's because a lot of people think comedic roles are less valuable.:icon_rolleyes:

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

His role in "The normal heart" was nothing like Sheldon. Actually a lot of people who saw him in that thought he was wasting his time doing "The big bang theory" (some of my friends included) and that he should do more dramatic roles. You know that's because a lot of people think comedic roles are less valuable.:icon_rolleyes:

Could be played Leo DeCaprio, Bryan Cranston or any of the other best actor/supporting actor roles that were nominated for Oscars. Those were roles to me that would be difficult for him to play. But that JMO. And no I haven't seen NH but I have seen clips of it.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not only seen 'The Normal Heart", but also other movies where he has played small parts, but you realize at the end, that Jim's character really played a turning point in the story. I'm talking about "Garden State", one of the Muppet Movies, "The Big Year", and "Wish I Were Here".  In the last one, his Shakespeare was very natural, which I liked.  Hope to see him in more movies with larger roles.

Edited by I Miss Dan
spelling
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Chrismo said:

But you seemed alright with the other poster diminishing Kaley. Didn't admonish them. To be honest didn't see Normal Heart. Not really my cup of tea.

No. Im not alright with any person that diminishes an actor to defend another actor. But i stated my opinion of kaley in the second paragraph...

Honestly why are we discussing jims acting abilities, if is clear he is not the cup if tea of many here, for whatever reason. This discussion is going nowhere cus there are those who think jim only has talent to say "bazinga" n thats it, and others who think kaley has no career beyond tbbt... I dont think all these opinions are going to change in a few pages. Whenever u have ppl thinking one actor is better than another actor is an endless, fruitless discussion i will have no part of so, thank u very much, i'll close the door when i leave, dont worry. 

Edit. Forgot to add: jim's AND kaleys acting abilities... Both. Like jim said in a interview once, if an actor is still around in this business for so many years, then they are good otherwise they wouldn't be around at all... And both are good. 

Edited by Andy_90's_generation
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, I Miss Dan said:

I've not only seen 'The Normal Heart", but also other movies where he has played small parts, but you realize at the end, that Jim's character really played a turning point in the story. I'm talking about "Garden State", one of the Muppet Movies, "The Big Year", and "Wish I Were Here".  In the last one, his Shakespeare was very natural, which I liked.  Hope to see him in more movies with larger roles.

Garden State is such a great movie. I always loved it. Did you see Gardner of Eden? He did some Shakespeare in theatre as well. He did a lot of theatre in general but It would be nice to find more about his plays before BB popularity.

Edited by Cindi May

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

Garden State is such a great movie. I always loved it. Did you see Gardner of Eden? He did some Shakespeare in theatre as well. He did a lot of theatre in general but It would be nice to find more about his plays before BB popularity.

Gardener of Eden is a strange movie it made me feel a bit uneasy :icon_neutral:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Gardener of Eden is a strange movie it made me feel a bit uneasy :icon_neutral:

It was a little strange, true. Ribisi was great in it. Uneasy about what in particular?

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

It was a little strange, true. Ribisi was great in it. Uneasy about what in particular?

Well the sex scenes were kinda creepy, the main actor (whose name completely eludes me right now) gives me the creeps and just the general tone of it, which I'm pretty sure was purposeful *shrugs* 

Ribisi (much like Parsons) can be put in any shitty movie and still shine. He was my fave regular on friends :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Oh, I see...so they gave him an Emmy nomination for his role in The Normal Heart because they thought they were still voting for Best Actor in a Comedy Series, LOL! Since he won the Emmy in that category that year, I understand their confusion!

Lol you jim.fans cannot handle opposing opinions can you. No you said that. I.said he is a fav with voters. His mannerisms were still Sheldon. Particularly on Snl. He doesent have much range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Lol you jim.fans cannot handle opposing opinions can you. No you said that. I.said he is a fav with voters. His mannerisms were still Sheldon. Particularly on Snl. He doesent have much range.

Ok, if you say so.........:banghead:

Edited by vonmar
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On February 26, 2016 at 6:39 PM, nibbler747 said:

I look to their reactions the next morning as evidence of any "nefarious" action.  Did Penny look "shocked" that she was in bed with Raj?  That he somehow tricked her into bed when she was drunk.  No.  She looked like "Damn....I wish I hadn't done that."  To me, that implies that she was aware of her faculties when she decided to hook up with Raj.  It was her decision.  It might not be one she was happy with the next day, but oh well.  It doesn't make her a bad person, or a "tramp".

 

If you really watch the scene her first reaction was she knew she was in Leonard's bed. Thus as it was suggested earlier in the episode she shouldn't  of broken up with Leonard and thus she actually had a slight smile thinking Leonard was next to her. A logical reaction since it was Leonard's bed. When she started to look to her right she realized that wasn't Leonard's arm and realized it was Raj. Then she made that comment, not the exact words, but something similar. But Raj having to explain the bedroom details later since Penny didn't know suggests she did not have all her facilities at the time. It doesn't excuse her for putting herself in that situation but it does suggest that Raj at least attempted to take advantage of the situation.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Well the sex scenes were kinda creepy, the main actor (whose name completely eludes me right now) gives me the creeps and just the general tone of it, which I'm pretty sure was purposeful *shrugs* 

Ribisi (much like Parsons) can be put in any shitty movie and still shine. He was my fave regular on friends :) 

I don't remember the name of the main actor but yes he was kinda creepy :icon_biggrin:. About the sex scenes I remember one with Jim's character and the other guys watching a couple having sex through an open window so yeah I guess they were a little creepy as well :D. Apparently Leonardo Di Caprio produced that movie.

Edited by Cindi May

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

I don't remember the name of the main actor but yes he was kinda creepy :D. About the sex scenes I remember one with Jim's character and the other guys watching a couple having sex through an open window so yeah I guess they were a little creepy as well :D. Apparently Leonardo Di Caprio produced that movie.

Oh really? I thought it was Brad Pitt's company for some reason.

Yeah looking through windows and prostitutes wasn't really my cup of tea and the ending felt like it was trying too hard but I guess it paid Jim's bills lol! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.