Worst Big Bang Theory Episodes Every-My List

Don't  know if there has been this topic on here before or not so I''ll start one.

Strangely enough,   all the worst episodes seem clustered together in the fourth season and the season five premier.

The Spaghetti Catalyst-season 3

The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification-   arguably the worse of the "Sheldon is nuts" episodes.

The Bus Pants Utilization-                          not a legitimate laugh in this one, it attempts to repeat the Physics Bowl episode where it is shown that Sheldon does not work well with others.

The Benefactor Factor-                  extremely uncomfortable watching everyone urging Leonard to have sex with the wealthy lady in return for funds.

The Prestidigitation Approximation

The  Engagement Reaction-     sorry,  Mrs.  Wolowitzs hospitalization was not funny.    Not even before she died in real life.

The Roommate Transmogrification    - Penny & Raj-  enough said.

The Skank Reflex                               - more of the same but worse.    Puts Raj in the worse possible light for the future in my opinion.

My personal list:

The Prestidigitation Approximation

The Nerdvana Annihilation

The Financial Permeability

The Plimpton Stimulation

The Friendship Contraction - The only saving moment in this episode for me was every time Leonard and Sheldon will nod " 'sup?" at each other.

The Transporter Malfunction

The Hawking Excitation

Worst episode ever, for me, The Misinterpretation agitation, from S. 8! I also don't like very much, from S. 2, the Cooper-Nowitzki theorem, and the episodes with Dr. Stefanie, from S. 4 the Irish Pub Formulation (the first with Prya),  from S. 6, the Parking spot escalation and from S. 7 The Itchy Brain Simulation...

But what is it that makes you dislike these episodes?  The subject matter?  The "other" characters?  The separation of L/P? or S/A?

The only one I don't really care much about watching is Speckerman, but just because I found the Speckerman guy kind of boring and his reason for looking up Leonard was relatively lame.

But the idea of reliving the bullying of the past, and getting over it (and not getting over it) was interesting, as was Penny realizing that perhaps she was indeed something of a bully, or that bullying did go on, in her high school.

But I would still probably watch it again when it comes on in the TBS rotation.  I might half-watch/half-listen, like while I'm in the kitchen or something.

I don't think there's any episode I hate or that I wouldn't watch again.

• Like 1

My worst are mostly from season 3 and 4 and mostly because I was bored while watching them. The Jiminy Conjecture,The Psychic Vortex,The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification,The Irish Pub Formulation,The 21-Second Excitation,The Engagement Reaction. 

Recently - The Friendship Turbulence - had a sweet moment with Leonard giving Penny a car but otherwise I wasn't interested enough. 

The Anything Can Happen Recurrence - That Amy/Leonard talk, Sheldon at physic,I don't know how to explain but it was just kinda weird to me.

The Leftover Thermalization- honestly, when I watch it now, I find both Sheldon and Leonard  just annoying. 

The Intimacy Acceleration - I'm surprised this episode gets overall good reviews, for me it was OOC and except for Howardette plot, boring too. 

There is just one person who used the term "hate" and it was on just one episode. Rest of us didn't mention we hate the episodes at all. We're just simply rating the episodes for fun, explaining why we didn't enjoy them so much as the rest of them. There's nothing wrong with criticism.

Okay then dislike.

But saying worst episode and giving a big list of episodes sounds like not really liking the show for what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering.

I do like some episodes more than others, but I love the show always!

There have been more than 180 episode....i think it is impossible to love all of them! it may happen i don't like a new character (like stefanie or prya), or that the plot of a single epidode is not funny enough (for my taste of course....). All things considered, anyway, tbbt is the best show on TV right now for me....so an episode or two in a season can't make me change my mind on that!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

+1 on Speckerman, poorly written and conceived. I suffer from 'bad line empathy' and actually find it painful to watch (the actors certainly earn their money in this one, cringe).

Cruciferous Vegetable's a bit tedious too, and I actually can't watch the Loobenfeld Decay because I find the guest actor who plays Toby really irritating, both of these get switched off. (I believe the same actor was actually in the running to play the role of Sheldon! Ye gads! The horror!)

I think I must be the odd one out (how 'bout that?) in that I actually enjoyed Priya, she was the perfect foil for Sheldon (and, IMO, much needed in Lesley's abscense). Liked Stephanie too, she was a sweetie. ;)

• Like 2

But what is it that makes you dislike these episodes?  The subject matter?  The "other" characters?  The separation of L/P? or S/A?

I didn't enjoy them for several reasons my conscious mind can't fathom. Whenever I rewatch TBBT, I skip those. It's akin to something like a gut feel.

• Like 1

Really the actor playing Toby was in the running fpr playing Sheldon??? I agree with you ATOB....the horror!  I always wanted to know the names in the short list of the actors in the running for the main characters and how the final decision was made...The producers said something about how they cast the "main three" (in particular Jim Parsons), but it would be interesting to know more details for the other roles. I read somewhere that for Amy character was considered the actress that finally played Lucy (sorry, don't remember her name...) Well, had she been cast for the role, I think my list of worst favourite episodes would have been a little longer!!! By the way...I think that she was perfect as Lucy, I enjoyed her playing that character...as Amy...I don't know.....

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

I dunno, I can kinda see Kate Micucci (Lucy) as Amy, I think she could've made it work. I think the casting of Mayim Bialik was a smart move on tptb's part if only for the sheer everyman quality of her. A bold move, bravo to them. When you think of other shows that haven't copped out and downplayed a glamour queen's looks for their dorky character then you'll mostly find them governed by that creating lead, Mindy Project, Lena Dunham's Girls, but BBT took that step on their own volition. Kudos, a step in the right direction I believe.

Okay then dislike.

But saying worst episode and giving a big list of episodes sounds like not really liking the show for what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering.

I do like some episodes more than others, but I love the show always!

In terms of liking something, I go for quality, not quantity. Just because there are episodes that I (insert any term related to not liking something here), doesn't necesarily mean I don't love the show.

Spending my time to watch the currently ended season and rewatch many previous episodes I like (which practically outweighs the (insert any term related to not liking something here) episodes) doesn't sound like hating the show in any way to me. Doesn't even include the times I spend visiting forums related to that show, reading about the stars or fanfictions related to that show, or doing any sort of tribute for that show.

Cruciferous Vegetable was a weird one for me.

The first part  was good, but the second part (from the point where the robot was introduced) was, IMO, dreadful.

As for Priya, I felt she lacked true empathy.

In Herb Garden, when she announces she's got tickets for a baseball game, and Leonard tells her Bernadette is thinking of breaking up with Howard, Priya says "Aw, too bad", I didn't feel her sympathy sounded genuine.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 2

To me Priya and Raj are two of the most unsympathetic siblings ever on a sitcom.    For one they are both shamelessly manipulative.    Especially of their parents but also other people close to them.    In addition to both being openly greedy it seems.

I'll agree that the "Stephanie episodes" were exceedingly tedious.

It seems to me that women Leonard is involved with have a tendency to use him and eventually attempt to dominate him.    Stephanie did,  so did Priya.   You could argue the same with Doctor Pilkington or whatever the slutty physicists name was as well as the wealthy donor.     Leslie Winkle openly used Leonard as did the North Korean spy.

• Like 2

The Killer Robot Instability. I just don't understand it. Penny, because of some flirting, tells Howard that he will grow old and die alone, clearly upsetting him, shows no remorse for days afterward, later breaks his nose when he tries to kiss her and forces him to lie that he "slipped and fell", while the laughing track plays along. And I'm like: "I'm supposed to be laughing at this?" Just no. 

The Speckerman Recurrence. We find out that Penny tied up an underage girl in the cornfield, gagged her with a corn clip and left her there overnight because she was jealous of her grades. They even make a joke about the girl who is stuttering and was also bullied by Penny-presumably because of that!-later. Leonard finally stands up to his High school bully, but in the end he and Sheldon still have to run away from him in fear of getting physically assaulted. Not funny. At all.

The only reason why this isn't #1: "I plathonically love you, man..."

The Gorilla Experiment. Probably the only episode where I disliked Leonard's behavior. Yes, Howard was overreacting, but Leonard shouldn't have behaved way towards Howard, given the while dr. Stephanie thing two years before. And his reaction about Penny sleeping with Raj when they weren't even dating. And his "Hell no" response when Howard asked could he have Penny after Leonard claimed thar he could never have her... you get the idea. He is usually a nice guy, so it was out of character too. 

The Anything Can Happen Recurrence. The whole Sheldon/Penny bond thing-or rather, the heights it was played up-and Amy seemingly being jealous of it was just baffling to me. Amy always had a better understanding and more patience with Sheldon.

The Itchy Brain Simulation. Penny was so cruel towards Lucy. That was absolutely degrading and definitely her worst moment. She was a hypocrite too. Sheldon was also very cruel towards Leonard but the really cringe worthy factor was how trivial the whole reason behind the scheme was. And Raj turned out so pathetic and needy in the end. 

It surprises me how rarely writers seem to understand how cruel some of the things that they write for comedy are. Not to mention that a single too degrading scene can seriously diminish the years of character development. 

When somebody is getting abused and made fun of, and they don't deserve it (if anyone does), and you write the characters OOC for a purpose of a single joke or a plot idea, it is not funny!

The Loobenfeld is one of my favorites though. Why so many people dislike it?

I liked the Killer Robot Instability if for nothing else that it introduced the delightfully annoying Barry Kripke.

As for the Speckerman episode.    I thought it was interesting in a serious way as we hear from both Speckerman and Penny events from the bully's perspective.    It being obvious that a bully does not always see their actions as hurtful or offensive.    Speckerman seem genuinely happy to see Leonard when they first meet again.

• 1 month later...

How can anyone not like The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification?!

I enjoyed the first part, but wasn't keen on the second.

The dividing line for me, was when Sheldon wheeled out the robot.

The fart jokes were :rofl: , especially the one on the stairway:-

Penny (squealing): Oh, my God, are you okay?

Sheldon: I think so.

Penny: Oh, let me help you up.

Sheldon: Thank you. (Loud sound of farting)

Penny: Oh, Sheldon!

Sheldon: If it makes you feel any better, Thursday is no longer Cruciferous Vegetable Night.

Edited by Stephen Hawking