The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gwhh

Do You Think They Should Drop The Girls Make More Money Story Line?

I have an inquiry.  If Leonard has such a high IQ (I know it's not as high as Sheldon's but it's in mensa range if I'm not mistaken) then why would he have so many student loans?  Wouldn't he have gotten scholarships to Princeton.  And what about his parents paying for some or all of his schooling?  Or was that just for his brother and sister.  Just curious...

Yeah, not to mention his parents were both Princeton faculty. I don't know how it works in Ivy League, but my cousin's wife attended college for free at a smaller but well regarded private university where both her parents taught. I'd imagine Leonard got at least some of those benefits. His parents also seem pretty well off, and while they obviously aren't loving they hold education in the highest regard, and likely would not hesitate to pay for college. In fact, they were likely the kind of people that sent their children to private Ivy League prep schools from the time they were young. 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 2

The only thing I can think of Carlos is that the people she works with told her or was talking about their "guy" and how she needed to get one.  In an effort to show Leonard (and herself) that she could be responsible she did it.  And maybe that "guy" is the one who helped her be a bit more responsible with money.  Remember when your money is invested, it's not that easy to take it out to buy a sweater or a pair of shoes...

Earlier in the thread I was arguing with Meka that the fact that all of a sudden "she had a guy" was totally unrealistic, and he was telling that it wasn't without giving any explanation (as it is his habit) which is why I usually can't take many of his replies seriously. Based upon what we've seen in the show, I still stand by what I said, that it is unrealistic for her to have a guy all of a sudden when in the past she's been sooooo irresponsible with money. However, Kasey, your reasoning makes total sense, I can see your scenario as  being exactly the case. IMO, what would have made that episode acceptable instead of bad would have been for Penny to have followed the " I have a guy " with " that they recommended at work. Sorry I didn't tell you, but wanted to make sure he's good. So far my investments are doing great " or something to that effect, but more in a Penny 'voice" . So, using your idea and the style of the writers, the inconsistencies would have been solved.

• Like 1

It's not hard getting a guy to help you with investing. The hard part is getting the right guy. Then even if you get the right guy, at times you can lose huge amounts of money. The last week or so I've lost more money then I make working a whole year. The important thing is time is on your side if you are young. Stay invested and you should recover.

• Like 1

Investing wise, today was brutal...the hubs was yelling at the computer all day...LOL

• Like 4

I work in sharedealing,  the end part processing sales transactions and I guess after yesterday's "black Monday" we might be in for a downturn

Unless of course it picks up again very quickly

In the episode where penny says she has a guy .... She also says something along the lines of Leonard you should get some money ...., and I was like wow .. Really.....bitch please haha ..... 

but what Leonard has been doing in the past few seasons is a lot worse than what penny did or said ...

Edited by vasu

In the episode where penny says she has a guy .... She also says something along the lines of Leonard you should get some money ...., and I was like wow .. Really.....bitch please haha .....

but what Leonard has been doing in the past few seasons is a lot worse than what penny did or said ...

Penny also says if you need some money, I can give you some. So she really isn't too bad.

Remember Penny's never made a big deal about making more money then her SO, like Bernie has.

• Like 2

Earlier in the thread I was arguing with Meka that the fact that all of a sudden "she had a guy" was totally unrealistic, and he was telling that it wasn't without giving any explanation (as it is his habit)

So you can't accept an explanation unless the writers are spoonfeeding you information/exposition like a child?  You're incapable of believing "the guy" was recommended to her at work, unless your being told everything you need to know?

And what about his parents paying for some or all of his schooling?  Or was that just for his brother and sister.  Just curious...

I don't see Beverly being very gracious to Leonard in that department.  His father, the jury is still out on that one; as far as what kind of influence he would've had.

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 1

So you can't accept an explanation unless the writers are spoonfeeding you information/exposition like a child?  You're incapable of believing "the guy" was recommended to her at work, unless your being told everything you need to know?

Wrong again, sir. It must have become a habit for you by now. Of course I can accept an explanation without the writers or the show spoon feeding it to me, and yes I can believe that the guy was recommended to her at work. That is to say I can accept Kasey's explanation. However there is something that you forget, the only thing that's canon is what is presented in the show. So, as I have always said: "based on what was presented in the show" the fact that Penny all of a sudden had a guy  is totally unrealistic, the key part of that statement is, of course "based on what was presented in the show. As far as I'm concerned if they don't show something that's going to indirectly going to play a part on something they DO decide to show they should at the very least make an indirect comment about it. The only times when there's no need to do that is when it's obvious, but Penny from being totally irresponsible with money (which was shown on the show) to having a guy (shown on the show) without saying absolutely nothing is a but of a stretch. 

• Like 1

Wrong again, sir. It must have become a habit for you by now.

So, as I have always said: "based on what was presented in the show" the fact that Penny all of a sudden had a guy  is totally unrealistic

You mean like the last time you claimed I was wrong, even though I presented you FACTS that backed my statement up?

They SHOWED you Penny being more determined and being a little smarter in season 8, so based on THAT I don't see it as unrealistic that she would have "a guy" that handles her finances regardless of how she got to that point.

I think it was done to diminish the Leonard character it just didn't make sense. This is the same guy who bought penny a ticket to go home for the holidays and bought her a car or never asked for the $1400 he gave her to pay her rent and paid for her food.

How do you know if any of those things didn't put him behind financially?

How do you know if any of those things didn't put him behind financially?

Then please, show us some evidence that those things did put him behind financially. 

I think that sometimes you have to make some reasonable assumptions when it comes to TV shows. When you watch a show you only get a small glimpse into the characters world. A 24 episode season of a 20 minute show is 8 hours of their lives. I never or hardly ever see them go to the grocery store, but their fridge is full of food when they open the door.

In my mind if Penny had said she had a guy to help her with investing when she was still a waitress that would be totally OOC, but because she is now a Pharmaceutical Rep., working for a big company, she would fill out forms when she was hired, and get the opportunity to join the companies 401k program. The big companies I've worked for also had a seminar for the new employees to go to about the 401k program. The seminar was made available to help new employees make decisions on how to invest their money. It does not take a great leap of faith for her to get a guy to help her invest her money. I get letters all the time from people that want to help me invest. I get a big envelope from Fisher Investments a couple times a year. I've received discount offers from Forbes magazine and the Wall Street Journal in the mail. Once you get your name on a mailing list your get flooded with offers.

What surprises me more is that Leonard doesn't have money saved in a 401k account at work. Most company plans have matching money, which almost makes you forced to invest up to the company match, the company match used to be 6% for most companies. Not investing to the company match is leaving money on the table. It's like the company wants to give you money, but you're saying no thanks. JMO

• Like 3

I worked at a mid western university for over 20 years.  Almost all US colleges and universities are set up to manage retirement through TIAA-CREF. This is the only retirement plan offered by the institution. You could opt out of participating, but you would end up with no pension at the end of your career.

Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association – College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA–CREF) is a Fortune 100 financial services organization that is the leading retirement provider for people who work in the academic, research, medical and cultural fields. TIAA–CREF serves 3.9 million active and retired employees participating at more than 15,000 institutions and has $502 billion in combined assets under management (as of December 31, 2012).

My university had a 10% match and offered financial counseling seminars twice a year. You were not required to participate in the match or the seminars, but you were nuts not to.

• Like 2

I worked at a mid western university for over 20 years.  Almost all US colleges and universities are set up to manage retirement through TIAA-CREF. This is the only retirement plan offered by the institution. You could opt out of participating, but you would end up with no pension at the end of your career.

Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association – College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA–CREF) is a Fortune 100 financial services organization that is the leading retirement provider for people who work in the academic, research, medical and cultural fields. TIAA–CREF serves 3.9 million active and retired employees participating at more than 15,000 institutions and has $502 billion in combined assets under management (as of December 31, 2012).

My university had a 10% match and offered financial counseling seminars twice a year. You were not required to participate in the match or the seminars, but you were nuts not to.

Vonmar, thanks for the info. I kind of thought that it would be different for Leonard because he works at a University, but wasn't sure how that worked out. You learn something new everyday. And 10% sounds great. I wish I could get that deal.

I think that sometimes you have to make some reasonable assumptions when it comes to TV shows. When you watch a show you only get a small glimpse into the characters world. A 24 episode season of a 20 minute show is 8 hours of their lives. I never or hardly ever see them go to the grocery store, but their fridge is full of food when they open the door.

I fully agree with you Rudy, however, your reasonable assumptions, are not my reasonable assumptions, are not Carlos' reasonable assumptions, are not Meka's reasonable assumptions, etc.   Everybody has their own assumptions, which doesn't make anyone's right, or for that matter anyone's wrong.  As we know for sure is what we're told by the characters.  You gave a very cogent explanation of why you think Penny's not OOC, without commenting on how someone else see it. Without hard and fast evidence of how exactly she came to have "a guy", there can be many different ways of looking at it, none of them right or wrong, just different interpretations.  

• Like 2

Then please, show us some evidence that those things did put him behind financially. 

I NEVER said I had evidence.  My point is that JUST BECAUSE Leonard has lent Penny money in the past, does NOT automatically mean he was financially well off.  We've seen Penny lend money to someone she cared about in season 2 with Kurt (even though she probably should not have done) while not being well off financially.  Why could Leonard not be capable of doing the same?

Why is Leonard lending Penny money supposed to automatically mean he's well off financially and nothing else is a possibility? The way tonstar phrased his point made it sound like because we see one thing (Leonard lending Penny money) it only automatically means the conclusion he came to (Leonard is not in debt and is well off financially). And Leonard admitting he's in debt with student loans to him makes no sense, because of him lending Penny money.

My point is just because he was lending Penny money doesn't automatically mean he was well off financially, it can also mean he was willing to help her out with expenses despite what it might to do to him financially at that time.  I see that as making perfect sense as a possibility.

What surprises me more is that Leonard doesn't have money saved in a 401k account at work

Who says he doesn't?  I have a 401k plan at my work, but it hasn't made my student loans magically disappear (no matter HOW MUCH I wish they would some days).

I NEVER said I had evidence.

I didn't think you did.   Just pointing out the hypocrisy in demanding evidence for their ideas (you're how do you know how they put him behind financially), but when you can't provide evidence yourself.   How do you know if any of those things DID put him behind financially?  If you don't have any proof otherwise (and you admit you don't), then the post challenging another's post is laughable.   

I didn't think you did.   Just pointing out the hypocrisy in demanding evidence for their ideas

Show me where I asked for evidence?  Asking if they knew something for sure is not necessarily the same thing.  

If you don't have any proof otherwise, then the post challenging another's post is laughable.

I don't need evidence that he wasn't well off financially.  All I needed was to provide possible and plausible holes in his claim that "it just didn't make sense. This is the same guy who bought penny a ticket to go home for the holidays and bought her a car or never asked for the $1400 he gave her to pay her rent and paid for her food."

I did that, by providing a plausible scenario where Leonard can still lend Penny money, but still be put back financially.  That's more than plausible and possible.

My goal was NEVER to claim that tonstar's interpretation as absolutely false.  My goal in the last post was for me to point out that I see tonstar's interpretation as flawed and here's why....

Edited by meka3000

Show me where

snip...

interpretation as flawed and here's why....

Yes, asking if they knew for sure comes across as demanding evidence.  If you just stated your ideas, that would be something different.   As for the rest, it's nothing more than you not being willing to accept that what makes sense to you, may not make sense to others.  There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but there is nothing wrong with others having different interpretations. Although you seem to think it's your duty trying to show something wrong with other's interpretations, with nothing more than your interpretation.  But, again, feel free to get the last word in on this.    

Yes, asking if they knew for sure comes across as demanding evidence.

"Comes across" makes it sound like your opinion.  Not a fact.

If you just stated your ideas, that would be something different.

I decided to get some sleep instead of a more detailed response the night before. and then had work later on in the day, then decided to spend time with my fiance, by going to a ball game, so I haven't had time to go into greater detail; so excuse me if I couldn't do something at your convenience.

As for the rest, it's nothing more than you not being willing to accept that what makes sense to you, may not make sense to others.

I can accept it makes sense to him, THAT DOES NOT mean I agree with his interpretation.  And see it as without nuance.

Although you seem to think it's your duty trying to show something wrong with other's interpretations

Well if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black.

I fully agree with you Rudy, however, your reasonable assumptions, are not my reasonable assumptions, are not Carlos' reasonable assumptions, are not Meka's reasonable assumptions, etc.   Everybody has their own assumptions, which doesn't make anyone's right, or for that matter anyone's wrong.  As we know for sure is what we're told by the characters.  You gave a very cogent explanation of why you think Penny's not OOC, without commenting on how someone else see it. Without hard and fast evidence of how exactly she came to have "a guy", there can be many different ways of looking at it, none of them right or wrong, just different interpretations.  

I would think that this quote right here would end the debate, but somehow I bet it won't...

• Like 2

I would think that this quote right here would end the debate, but somehow I bet it won't...

It's ended it for me. It's like Tensor has bowled in a bowling league for the last 20 years. He's never bowled a 200 game before. Last night he bowled his first 200 game in his life, he says. Because it is OOC for him to bowl a 200 game, there is no way that he did it, even though he swears that he did it. There is no reasonable way that he could have done it. So my reasonable assumption is that he didn't. Not much different then Penny claiming she did something, but no one believing it.

• Like 2

It's ended it for me. It's like Tensor has bowled in a bowling league for the last 20 years. He's never bowled a 200 game before. Last night he bowled his first 200 game in his life, he says. Because it is OOC for him to bowl a 200 game, there is no way that he did it, even though he swears that he did it. There is no reasonable way that he could have done it. So my reasonable assumption is that he didn't. Not much different then Penny claiming she did something, but no one believing it.

With interpretations, I would say it would be closer to someone else claiming they bowled their first 200 game.  With you saying they couldn't have, and I saying they could.  We could both believe in and mention our own ideas, but there is no need for either of us to claim the other is wrong or our own ideas are somehow better.  

Now, if you were to have a verified scoresheet that shows the other person didn't bowl a 200 (or I had one that showed they did), I would expect either of us to present that as evidence for our contention.  But, absent some hard and fast evidence, whats wrong with allowing the other person their ideas?  

BTW, I had to quit bowling in 1998 due to things from the Gulf War, my last year I AVERAGED 218.  

• Like 3