The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Episode 3.16 (March 1, Stan Lee guests)

"Wikipedia" excelsior.

It's Stan Lee's catchphrase, and what Al Gore shouted in the MANBEARPIG! episode.

And it means Latin for "superior". My high school Latin teacher wrote that on one of my quizzes after I did the best in the class once.

EXCELSIOR!!!!!

I saw this episode taped last month....one of my favorites this season by far :)

Really??!. Oh man I live in Texas so there's no way I get to see the tapings. I wish I could. Please tell me that the series is getting better from what you've seen. Or are they still ignoring Raj and Howard's plotlines.

Don't worry I have nothing against Spoilers. You can tell!!!!

Well I don't want to post anything here that is a spoiler, but I will say that it's another heavy Sheldon/Penny centered episode. Very little Raj, Howard, and Leonard (I'm like you where I miss the guys all together and getting more equal time on the show...but this episode was still really great because it continues from TADD ;) Oh Raj did have some great stuff this episode though even though the rest of guys as a whole aren't the focus)

Thanks a lot. Hmm. Well, we're getting Sheldon-Penny scenes, so I'm not complaining. But I hope they start expanding Howard and Raj's character's and plotlines soon enough.

Hmmm. Just watched the episode. Was pretty disappointing to say the least. I tried so hard to like it but a lot of it fell flat for me. The only part that made me LOL was the ending when Sheldon gets the restraining order and makes it known that he's also got a restraining order from Leonard Nimoy. Otherwise the episode was (in my individualistic opinion), one of the weakest of the Season.

I was very disappointed too. I think if this were the first episode I had ever watched it would have been my last. Lame

Did anyone notice that the director of this episode was different?. That's never happened before.

linux-I mean it was an okay episode. Some parts were funny. But to be brutally honest it simply wasn't that funny, and I usually LOL in every episode of this show. Season 3 has been really erratic.

I really liked the episode, raj plot in this episode was excellent, the shirt was great!!! and I'm glad the fellowship have the courage to stand sheldon up, leaving him in jail and penny actually run at the end lol, that was the best!!! and the music of the shirt, I even knew that it was jeopardy's tune even when I just saw bits of the program. The fantastic 4 robe was cool, its as if george lucas would have a jedi robe at his home given the case lol :D

I was worried it would concentrate the episode in sheldon but thank god they didn't, I just like it when they spread the plot to all the cast not only one in particular, that's my point of view. Also I noticed that penny said again "ah balls" I think that there hasn't been a situation for penny to be in shock so she would say "holy crap on a cracker" jejeje.

I'm glad that the olympics have ended and that canada won the gold in hockey, everybody happy and the episodes are back again!! oh yeah!. :D

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! I love it when a TBBT episode comes together ... !

In my opinion it had just the right balance of Sheldon wackiness, Penny dealing with the strange strange world of geeks, Raj stealing the show with his shirt, and Howard just being a douche.

Can't wait to watch it again. Some reasons why:

- Penny pretending to know who Stan Lee is ("Um ... He was on Star Trek ... Star Wars?")

- Sheldon's script for Penny in her "native language" ("Please excuse my homespun, corn-fed Nebraskan turn-of-phrase.")

- Raj finding just the right bit of music ("People will know I'm awesome and to be feared ...")

- Stuart describing his plans for the evening to Penny ("You're looking at a guy who could very well get stood up by a stray cat tonight ...")

- "Obviously you don't remember your circumcision"

- the JUICY pants. I mean, yeah.

and so on and so on and so on ...!

Oh, and ... "Most of the things I plan to buy haven't been invented yet." By the way, don't checks expire after a certain amount of time?

Okay, I'm watching it again now. Don't want to "work" anyway (filling out job applications online. Don't let anyone tell you writing books is any way to make a living).

Steve

I really liked the episode. Sheldon's condescending attitude toward the judge was hilariously classic Sheldon. Raj really did shine in this episode. The thing that I didn't like is that Stan Lee came across as a bit of an angry jerk in this episode. Although his anger did set up that funny line about restraining orders.

Yes, I agree. Very funny show except for the attitude of Stan Lee at his home. Sheldon, instead of going home with a restraining order, should have gone home with the score of the Lakers game (Sheldon style) as well as an autograph.

- Sheldon's script for Penny in her "native language" ("Please excuse my homespun, corn-fed Nebraskan turn-of-phrase.")

Native with a good mix of valley girl (which is totally socal) : like ever. Totally. ;)

- Raj finding just the right bit of music ("People will know I'm awesome and to be feared ...")

btw I got the obvious star wars, "I'm so excited" and Jeopardy references but not the two others (before the buzz). One is three notes from like a cops movie or something after Sheldon asks why the fine with a picture of Penny's plate would end up in his mailbox and the other one when Sheldon says "I'm not guilty" and Howard says "you *are* guilty". Any clues ? It rings a bell but still can't get a hold on it.

- the JUICY pants. I mean, yeah.

Is it me or it read "JUCY" (am I getting blind ?)

Oh, and ... "Most of the things I plan to buy haven't been invented yet." By the way, don't checks expire after a certain amount of time?

yeah that's not even really coherent with the fact they were selling sperm to get a better internet bandwidth in episode 1x01 either.

I think I need to seriously re-watch the episode again. After watching it I seriously thought it was one of the weakest episodes of the series, but then I re-watched it online and then thought it was ok. A majority of people have found it one of the best of the season, which I just don't get. It's not a bad season. It's a good season, but it has so much potential to be a GREAT season and a GREAT show which I feel the writers are not pushing hard enough and putting in that extra effort to make it.

You can read all about the shirt, including the tunes and sounds Raj plays, on the wiki:

http://wiki.the-big-bang-theory.com/wiki/Personal_Soundtrack_Shirt

This episode was directed by Peter Chakos. He's a producer and film editor on the series, and he directed one other episode: Work Song Nanocluster.

The only other episode directed by someone other than Cendrowski is the Pilot, I believe.

Steve

Wiki Editor

who has spent a little too much time TBBT'ing today

Is anybody else seriously sick and tired of Leonard being a complete (pardon my language) ASS to Sheldon this Season????. I mean you'd think that he's stop eventually but no, the entire Season he's been a super dufus and rude to Sheldon. If the scenes where he does that are written in for comic effect, then I'd rather have a non-funny sweet old Leonard scene rather than a funny scene where Leonard treats his BFF and roommate like crap. Especially since Sheldon IS very sweet from the inside, whatever his crazy quirks may be. The writers need to change this aspect of the show PRONTO. Am I the only one who feels this way?

And I see it completely different. I love the way Leonard has been standing up for himself. If he didn't do that, there is no way that they could live in the same apartment. Sheldon KNOWS he's an arrogant, difficult ass. He can't help himself, but he knows it's true. Remember when he agreed that they would have to go to the movie without him? And when he dumped the french toast, wistfully wishing he could change his crazy ways and eat it? And when Leonard mentioned how difficult it must be to be inside Sheldon's head, to which Sheldon replied honestly, "At times..." ?

Sheldon dishes as bad as he gets. Worse, actually. Much, much worse. At least Leonard and Penny get a little back to keep things bearable.

Steve

And I see it completely different. I love the way Leonard has been standing up for himself. If he didn't do that, there is no way that they could live in the same apartment. Sheldon KNOWS he's an arrogant, difficult ass. He can't help himself, but he knows it's true. Remember when he agreed that they would have to go to the movie without him? And when he dumped the french toast, wistfully wishing he could change his crazy ways and eat it? And when Leonard mentioned how difficult it must be to be inside Sheldon's head, to which Sheldon replied honestly, "At times..." ?

Sheldon dishes as bad as he gets. Worse, actually. Much, much worse. At least Leonard and Penny get a little back to keep things bearable.

Steve

Hmmmm. That's an interesting way of putting it. I understand your point of view. Makes Leonard's behavior more understandable, but I feel that even if the writers want to incorporate digs at Sheldon, they need to tone it down a bit.

Hi guys,

I LOOOOVED the episode! It was finally back to being the TBBT I love - geeky scenes, the friends hanging out together, Penny trying to understand their world. It was just great, and I completely agree with Steve's posts.

I hope we'll get more of these episodes ... can't wait for the return of Evil Wil Wheaton :)

I'm with you Steve. Sheldon acts like a condescending arse towards Leonard most of the time and quite frankly I'm really sick and tired of him getting a free pass because "thats how he is". Although it will never happen, Sheldon should be thanking his lucky stars that Leonard, Howard, Raj, and Penny tolerate his behavior becuase in real life guys like Sheldon don't have friends.

Now now, DPK, don't be harsh on Sheldon, he's still the funniest! It's always the one character with the most innapropriate behavior that gets most of our laught, you know (Barney in ''How I Met Your Mother'' is a good exemple here! :p )?

With all due respect I must disagree. I don't think Sheldon's the funniest, not anymore. The writers have gone overboard with Sheldon to the point where he's not even much of a character anymore, more of a charicture now than anything else and the overexposure thats happened with him has diminished my enjoyment of the character. Most of these days I'm getting more laughs from the other characters than I do with Sheldon.