The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Queenfisher

Tips on Writing a Fanfiction Summary?

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask if anyone had any tips for making a Fanfiction Summary. What should you write (or not write) so that you can gain viewers, etc. I can never figure out what to write without making it too "spoiler-y."

I touch journalism for local and international.
I can help in noting well the time of intrigue, the place, main characters, and the beginning of the plot has to be easily understandable, then you can just sum the history keeping the good lines of your own project, and of course never sell the end. You can stop resume with a good retranscripted mood at half the narration. Good for FF.

I M Cinderella ...!

I can never figure out what to write without making it too "spoiler-y."

That to me, is the hard part.

You need to grab the attention of the readers, but don't want to give the whole story away.

It's like when the first reviewer writes something like "I was surprised when it turned out to be a dream", or "So it was Kripke doing it all along?".

It's like "THANKS A LOT. I'VE JUST SPENT A WEEK WRITING THIS, AND YOU'VE JUST GIVEN AWAY THE ENDING, BEFORE ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD A CHANCE TO READ IT". :angry: 

I guess you need to set out the basis of the tale, without giving away the story.

• Like 1

I like to just set the scene a bit, kind of how they do sometimes in the TV listing, "Sheldon has to make a choice, but how will it affect Amy?" Or maybe even something like "Sheldon makes a choice."

If you think it needs more set-up, like if it's set in the past, before some development on the show, then you kind of need to say that, unless it's part if a twist or something.

i think you just want to give a little hook, since everyone knows the characters and their general situation.

• Like 1

Writing a summary in a very limited number of characters is something that should be considered as art. Like what others have mentioned, you need to give out the gist of your story but without giving too much away, just enough to capture the attention of your target audience. It is also important to note if your story *might* trigger certain warnings as there are people who are sensitive with this information.

• Like 1

It is also important to note if your story *might* trigger certain warnings as there are people who are sensitive with this information.

I once gave a warning of a sad ending, but most of the people who reviewed it, didn't think it was sad. They thought I was going to kill Sheldon, and were so relieved I didn't, they didn't think my ending was sad at all. 

I once gave a warning of a sad ending, but most of the people who reviewed it, didn't think it was sad. They thought I was going to kill Sheldon, and were so relieved I didn't, they didn't think my ending was sad at all. 

Actually, by Trigger Warning, it means you need to add warnings for something that will trigger distress from trauma like rape, death, torture and those things. Generally saying it's a "sad" ending is not exactly a trigger warning but I see it as a "spoiler alert". haha