The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kev0821

"The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation" - "Cola" vs. "Coke"

So, I'm just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me... Recently, I discovered that the original broadcast version of the episode had Mary Cooper telling Howard that he'll "take a cola" was different from the DVD version where she says he'll "take a Coke." As others have pointed out, the scene was originally filmed with the "Coke" line, and later dubbed over with "cola." (See this YouTube clip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNwuvOur-0, as a reference. As you can see by the logo, this was an airing [maybe the first or a subsequent summer rerun] on CBS. If you mute the sound, Mary's lips are definitely saying "Coke.") But, WHY?! Could it be that, during the lunch scene, Mary was drinking a Diet Pepsi, and they couldn't have both brands in the episode? Did Coca-Cola want the line removed? Curiously, the line remains intact on the DVD version (and I'm assuming Blu-ray), but recently I downloaded versions through Amazon Instant Video, and they have the "cola" line. What the heck?! Shouldn't the digital versions be the same as what is used on the DVDs/Blu-rays? Do you think the DVD versions being sold now have been modified? It would be so much simpler if both versions were the same! I know this is really ridiculous, but it bothers me.I guess you could say I'm an obsessive person. haha

I've just seen again an episode of Futurama and realized I didn't know every dialogue exactly, I even was surprise by two replies.

Edited by Cécile Dull

I had noticed the Coke/Cola change, but wondered if it was my imagination. :)

I would bet the change had to do with trademark permissions, especially with the Diet Pepsi so prominently featured in that scene.  I would bet it was Pepsi who would have objected, rather than Coke.  If you've got product placement in a show, you don't want your competitor mentioned at the same time.

I think PepsiCo is one of their main sponsors--I think all or most of the drinks you see on the show are PepsiCo products--Aquafina water, Sobe, even Sheldon's Mountain Dew mention in the "foamy vengeance" episode.  He's talking about the ingredients for the foam and one of the guys asks him what's in a glass and he says, "Mountain Dew.  Ahh, refreshing."

So, I don't know if Laurie Metcalf slipped when she said Coke and no one noticed at the time or what, but I would bet the Pepsi sponsorship is why it was changed.

As for the inconsistencies between the DVDs and the Amazon version, I couldn't tell you.  I could be that the DVDs were created before the correction was made, or made from the original taping, rather than the "scrubbed" versions.