The Hofstadter Manipulation

nibbler747

Hello!

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this story, and I'm not sure if I can continue it with the way it's going.  I feel really bad, because (like Sheldon), I can't stand to leave things incomplete....all my stories have been completed up til this one.

The problem I am having with this story, is it's really becoming not a BBT story.  I mapped out where the I wanted the story to go, and I realized that Leonard and Penny are less and less involved as the chapters go on.  It's all about the original characters.  The story has really become Michael and Hayley playing cat and mouse with each other.  I do want to continue the story, but this may not be the right place for this story.  It was suggested by a dear friend of mine, that I could tweak the story, so it doesn't have BBT characters, and continue on with it on fiction press.  I may do that.  If you are still interested, I will post a link to that here in this thread.

I'm still of two minds on what to do about it.  I had a super cute Lenny wedding in my head for the end of the story.  I may write that out as a one shot and publish it.

Thank-you, and I'm sorry about that.  Honestly, unfinished stories are a pet peeve of mine.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this story, and I'm not sure if I can continue it with the way it's going.  I feel really bad, because (like Sheldon), I can't stand to leave things incomplete....all my stories have been completed up til this one.

The problem I am having with this story, is it's really becoming not a BBT story.  I mapped out where the I wanted the story to go, and I realized that Leonard and Penny are less and less involved as the chapters go on.  It's all about the original characters.  The story has really become Michael and Hayley playing cat and mouse with each other.  I do want to continue the story, but this may not be the right place for this story.  It was suggested by a dear friend of mine, that I could tweak the story, so it doesn't have BBT characters, and continue on with it on fiction press.  I may do that.  If you are still interested, I will post a link to that here in this thread.

I'm still of two minds on what to do about it.  I had a super cute Lenny wedding in my head for the end of the story.  I may write that out as a one shot and publish it.

Thank-you, and I'm sorry about that.  Honestly, unfinished stories are a pet peeve of mine.

hope you will get to finish this story.i like your story

since you are a shamy, it is nice from the other side to 

write a story that is not there ship.

good luck, hope we get to read that cute lenny wedding.

thank you 

I'm really sorry to hear you are not finishing this, I found it so interesting and was hoping to read Michael get his in the end.  I was hoping to also read how this jealously with Penny and Leonard's old girlfriend worked out.  With all the stuff in the actual show about Penny being too hot for Leonard, I was hoping this story would have Penny fighting for Leonard, too.

Nibbler747: You have my understanding and support for your decision as well. If you do elect to continue the story outside of the Leonard/Penny line, please post the link so we have a chance to read it as well. And I would love to read your visualization of the Lenny wedding!

Blessings to you, friend.

I think you should continue writing it.  You could just change the summary to say that there are Other Characters.  I am a firm believer in writing the story YOU want to write and not worrying about anything else.  I am looking forward to reading this...

Thanks so much!  I have a really clear idea in my head of how I wanted the Lenny wedding to go, so I hope after I am done my current working story, I will have a chance to write it.  I will probably write it as a one shot.

I'm really of two minds of how I want to go with this.  It's a lot of work to completely rework my story so that it's got zero BBT characters in it.  But if I continue it, will readers be ok with the fact that the story is mainly focused around Michael and Hayley.  I mean, Penny and Leonard would definitely be involved, but not as the main characters.  What I might end up doing, is put this story on hold for a bit, and then just write the whole thing out and post it.  It's really irking me not to finish this...it's definitely an itch at the back of my brain!  I want to write it in my own time though, so I'll keep it on the back burner, and then finish the story.  Then I wonder if I should not write the Lenny wedding cause I wanted it to be a part of the bigger story.  Hmmm..decisions decisions.  I do really appreciate your support on this story, and it made me happy to know you found it interesting.

I guess my conflict on this story was the fact that it was kind of becoming non BBT.  So while AU, if the main BBT characters were less and less...I wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks Kasey.  I think I will continue it, but when I have time.  It may be in a few months, and I hope that people will be ok that it is heavy on the OC's.

Thanks!

Ergh!  I quoted mjc45, SRAM, Stephen Hawking and Kasey, and it merged everything I wrote into one reply!  Well sorry, I am just going to reply to each then...sorry about that.  I'll cut and paste. 

good luck, hope we get to read that cute lenny wedding.

thank you 

Thanks so much!  I have a really clear idea in my head of how I wanted the Lenny wedding to go, so I hope after I am done my current working story, I will have a chance to write it.  I will probably write it as a one shot.

I'm really sorry to hear you are not finishing this, I found it so interesting and was hoping to read Michael get his in the end.  I was hoping to also read how this jealously with Penny and Leonard's old girlfriend worked out.  With all the stuff in the actual show about Penny being too hot for Leonard, I was hoping this story would have Penny fighting for Leonard, too.

I'm really of two minds of how I want to go with this.  It's a lot of work to completely rework my story so that it's got zero BBT characters in it.  But if I continue it, will readers be ok with the fact that the story is mainly focused around Michael and Hayley.  I mean, Penny and Leonard would definitely be involved, but not as the main characters.  What I might end up doing, is put this story on hold for a bit, and then just write the whole thing out and post it.  It's really irking me not to finish this...it's definitely an itch at the back of my brain!  I want to write it in my own time though, so I'll keep it on the back burner, and then finish the story.  Then I wonder if I should not write the Lenny wedding cause I wanted it to be a part of the bigger story.  Hmmm..decisions decisions.  I do really appreciate your support on this story, and it made me happy to know you found it interesting.

Could you not just make it an AU story, and continue writing it as such?

I guess my conflict on this story was the fact that it was kind of becoming non BBT.  So while AU, if the main BBT characters were less and less...I wasn't sure what to do.

I think you should continue writing it.  You could just change the summary to say that there are Other Characters.  I am a firm believer in writing the story YOU want to write and not worrying about anything else.  I am looking forward to reading this...

Thanks Kasey.  I think I will continue it, but when I have time.  It may be in a few months, and I hope that people will be ok that it is heavy on the OC's.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo.....I really do have an issue with leaving things unfinished!  So I decided after all to continue on with this story.  It's got a lot of focus on OC's but that's just how this story goes.  Thanks, and I hope you will enjoy.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11454072/7/The-Hofstadter-Manipulation

Thanks!

I swear....guest reviewers suck.  Look what I just got:

Guest chapter 7 . 3m ago

Your Shamy stories are like this? Focusing on original characters and not the couple? Probably not. So you decide to dip your toes into Lenny and we get a non-Lenny Lenny story. Great. Plenty of false drama and Lenny ugliness ahead all thanks to a Shamy wanting to play with original characters and toss in Lenny as a plot device!

...Now I'm in the mood to post a guest review just to tell them off!

I swear....guest reviewers suck.  Look what I just got:

Guest chapter 7 . 3m ago

Your Shamy stories are like this? Focusing on original characters and not the couple? Probably not. So you decide to dip your toes into Lenny and we get a non-Lenny Lenny story. Great. Plenty of false drama and Lenny ugliness ahead all thanks to a Shamy wanting to play with original characters and toss in Lenny as a plot device!

...Now I'm in the mood to post a guest review just to tell them off!

Guest reviewers do, sometimes, suck. It is a true shame that you contended with this regarding your original story. I wrote it in my review, but it bears repeating here. Write the story YOU want to write. You have friends and support here. Promise.

Guest reviews do suck.  So lame that they cannot show their "Faces" to voice their opinions.  Cowards!  Screw them!  I love the story!  I even like Penny!  WOOHOO, now that is good writing!

See, nibbler? You made Hazelra LIKE Penny! That's one step away from perfection! :rofl:

@nibbler747 and hazelra7: Love to you both! 

My guest reviewer wrote back.  I deleted their post this time.  I don't want an argument between us clogging up the review page.  But this is what they wrote this time:

It's true. All your Shamy stories have Shamy as the focus but now you're writing Lenny and what you give us are cliched original characters. That sucks. You didn't do that to your beloved Shamy but it's OK to marginalize Lenny. I see where you're coming from.

Geeez....What part of, Don't read it if you don't like it don't they get?  Perhaps they should write their own damn story!

Guest reviewers do, sometimes, suck. It is a true shame that you contended with this regarding your original story. I wrote it in my review, but it bears repeating here. Write the story YOU want to write. You have friends and support here. Promise.

See, nibbler? You made Hazelra LIKE Penny! That's one step away from perfection! :rofl:

@nibbler747 and hazelra7: Love to you both! 

Aawh thanks so much Becky!  Love you too!

#7--glad you are back.

love the talk that penny and phoebe had to shed

some light on what is going on. hope leonard is carefull.

Thank-you so much!  I think you'll be happy with Leonard's reaction....and Michael may surprise you.  Thanks for reading!

Late to the party on this but I'm up to chapter two and it's wonderful.  Leonard and Nickel...oops Penny don't have to be the center of the story to have it be a Lenny story IMHO.  I'm enjoying getting a feel for Leonard's family. 

Late to the party on this but I'm up to chapter two and it's wonderful.  Leonard and Nickel...oops Penny don't have to be the center of the story to have it be a Lenny story IMHO.  I'm enjoying getting a feel for Leonard's family. 

Thanks so much Kasey!  I hope you enjoy the story, there will be quite a bit of drama happening.  And hopefully some insight on why Leonard is kind growing up in a harsh environment.  There has to be a reason...  = )  Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, nibbler747 said:

Chapter 8 is now posted .  Thank you for reading and I appreciate your reviews.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11454072/8/The-Hofstadter-Manipulation

was happy for leonard reaction to ainsley he only wants penny,

found the watch. he should asked her about it.

wow, michael did not see that comming, but know can he control his

so to be wife(emily). looks like penny is sharping her detectived skills.

it is turning into a great story, keep up the good work.

On December 5, 2015 at 5:27:38 PM, mjc45 said:

was happy for leonard reaction to ainsley he only wants penny,

found the watch. he should asked her about it.

wow, michael did not see that comming, but know can he control his

so to be wife(emily). looks like penny is sharping her detectived skills.

it is turning into a great story, keep up the good work.

Thank you so much !  Next chapter will be quite angsty hope you will enjoy it!  I appreciate your kind review!

I was sort of disappointed you have Michael a heart, I was enjoying hating him too much.  Blood is thicker than water so I could see him now picking Hayley over Emily in the end, but I still think he should suffer for trying to break up Leonard and Penny.  I know I'm evil but I can't help wanting Ainsley to turn up pregnant in this story, with Michael's kid, and then Emily to find out she is pregnant too.  Anyway I'm really enjoying the family intrigue in this story and I think there is plenty of Leonard and Penny in it.

Michael is definitely not going to get away without any repercussions on him, but I think you'll see in the next few chapters why he is the way he is.  There is definitely a reason for it.  I'm so happy you are enjoying the story.  Take Care!

On 10/20/2015, 9:40:30, nibbler747 said:

Hello!

I am interested in you finishing the story. If you can tweak it though for fiction press, you will get a different kind of valuable feedback from readers that don't have preexisting ideas about the characters your writing about. 

Whatever you decide, if you stay with tbbt, I think you should swing the focus back to leonard and Penny if you can just because you started the story that way and the shifting focus takes away from the story. If you go to fiction press,  you could tweak the beginning to make Michael and Hayley the main characters right off the bat and make L--- and P --- the catalysts for their current conflict. Or maybe you could write both stories. It's not like you have to worry about deadlines here. 

15 minutes ago, Tomasina said:

I am interested in you finishing the story. If you can tweak it though for fiction press, you will get a different kind of valuable feedback from readers that don't have preexisting ideas about the characters your writing about. 

Whatever you decide, if you stay with tbbt, I think you should swing the focus back to leonard and Penny if you can just because you started the story that way and the shifting focus takes away from the story. If you go to fiction press,  you could tweak the beginning to make Michael and Hayley the main characters right off the bat and make L--- and P --- the catalysts for their current conflict. Or maybe you could write both stories. It's not like you have to worry about deadlines here. 

I decided to continue on with the story here on the fanfiction site.  I did a lot of thinking about the story, and it's one that I definitely want to write and continue.  So I've posted two chapters since I wrote that post (in October), the latest chapter I posted this past Friday.   I did a bit of rethinking, and I have Leonard and Penny much more integrated into the story now.  Actually they will be very heavily involved.  I think I really have it worked out how I want everything to play out.  So all in all, I am happy with it.  But thank-you for your suggestions regarding Fiction Press.  Perhaps one day I will try writing an original story on there!