2 members have voted

1. 1. The origin of "bazinga" is ...

• Sheldon Invented Word
    • Klingon Slur
    • Derived from "Zing"
    • Derived from "Bazing"
    • Other

bazinga_star.png

Searching for the "Holy Bazinga!" that started it all? Well, we at SheldonFan.com have, and we think we've come to a pretty good conclusion about its origin. Have a look:

Origin of Sheldon Cooper's "Bazinga!"

What do you think?

Also, a few spoilers regarding upcoming episodes have been revealed in the E!Online "Spoiler Chat." BEWARE as there is a Wil Wheaton spoiler that you may not want to hear, however.

bazinga_star.png

Searching for the "Holy Bazinga!" that started it all? Well, we at SheldonFan.com have, and we think we've come to a pretty good conclusion about its origin. Have a look:

Origin of Sheldon Cooper's "Bazinga!"

What do you think?

Also, a few spoilers regarding upcoming episodes have been revealed in the E!Online "Spoiler Chat." BEWARE as there is a Wil Wheaton spoiler that you may not want to hear, however.

Thanks for that Bazinga write up. Very interesting. Amazingly dissected for and by BBT fans!. Thanks!

Thanks for that Bazinga write up. Very interesting. Amazingly dissected for and by BBT fans!. Thanks!

For a time, in place of the article we thought of having a big, flashing "Bazinga!" with audio of Sheldon doing his "Muhahahaha!" in the background.

Seriously, we weren't really going to do that. Well, probably not. Glad you liked the analysis though!

It was great. Awesome analysis. On another note, I wonder why the writers never brought up Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock again as a recurring gag. I hope they bring it back again.

It was great. Awesome analysis. On another note, I wonder why the writers never brought up Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock again as a recurring gag. I hope they bring it back again.

Not sure on the "Lizard-Spock Expansion" not coming back as a recurring gag.

It's possible that some type of conflict came about because RPSLS didn't originate with "The Big Bang Theory" or Sheldon. A couple named Sam Kass and Karen Bryla actually came up with the idea. They don't appear to mind the attention it has been given (outside of a mild insistence that they, and not Sheldon, created it), so it seems an unlikely point of contention for future use on the show. Who knows though?

If we were the gambling sort, we'd put money down that none of us have seen the last of RPSLS, however. Here's to hoping!

:icon_biggrin:

Okay. I also just posted this on a WordReference forum, but thought it might be good here too:

***In the X-Files Season 7 Episode 19 (c. 1999, entitled "Hollywood A.D.") the audio expert that Scully speaks with at the 18:17 mark says "Bazinga!" as an expression of amazement or awed enlightenment (much like exclaiming "Eureka!") after he finds out that the bowl he is examining could be emitting strange frequencies due to its previous proximity to Jesus Christ. I think this would confirm that the word itself is much older than the TV series the Big Bang Theory, however I would agree that the widespread popularity of "bazinga" is due to BBT.***

Since a tertiary X-Files character used it about 5(?) years before BBT's Sheldon Cooper, I think it's safe to say that Sheldon himself (or the BBT writers, that is) did not invent it. It's entirely believable however to think that the character Sheldon heard it on the X-Files and has been using it ever since. Completely. Believable.

Well....glad we got that one out in the open. Now we can all sleep at night and I can tell

my neighbors when I walk the dog in my BAZINGA t-shirt where the word came from !

Last night's street conversation was about ROSE returning to 2 12 Men......hysterical !

The fact that it WAS on xfiles makes it all the more reasonable Sheldon would be using it lol.