The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
notchinc

The Sheldon T-shirt Theory

Notchinc, I did a forum search under Sheldon's shirts, and it seems this topic has moved around the forum a few times around S6/S7 in other discussions, but I don't think a thread was ever started.   Thank you.  For those of us that joined the forum post S6, we missed out and now we get the opportunity to have fun with this.

Edited by jenafan

I'll let you explain later.

But I was eager to start the experiment, in reading your suggestion I was watching the episodes of season 7, and I was thinking of some episodes which seem to confirm the theory.

So the base is (I picked it on shamy thread) :

Red = anger
Orange = Greed

Yellow = Fear

Green = Willpower

Blue = Hope

Indigo = Compassion

Violet/purple = Love

The first episode I remind after reading the color : Season 5 episode 9 : Sheldon with the bird !
Yellow : fear !

big%2Bbang%2Bsaison%2B5%2Be9.jpg

But now, in watching some season 7 episodes, sometimes the theory doesn't work. :( 

Few examples : 

Season 7 episode 17 :

- yellow and orange :  they are eating in the living room. They talk about the conflict between Howard and him. well no fear here.
- green and blue : Howard and him talk about the trip. well, I don't know.
- blue and yellow : they play a game. hope and fear to win ? :D
- grey or black : in the plane with Howard

season 7 episode 18 :  red and blue : He sees his mother with a guy. anger ok

season 7 episode 19 :

- blue and white : he is  undecided. hope ok.
- green and purple  : date night. willpower (to choice) and love, yeah ok
- red and blue : in the store anger and hope. ok 

season 7 episode 20 :

- black and purple : they speak about the discover and Sheldon consider leaving string theory.  
- yellow and green : he is upset. fear and willpower can be ok.
- green and red : he is looking for a new subject of study, and "empty room" :D can be ok too.
- purple and brown : he talks with Howard in the cafeteria. well...

Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 2

In my head Sheldon's tshirt theory is 100% true :). Some awesome observations above btw! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was posted by Musickat18 on Fanforum back in May of 2013:

I believe it's been flat stated by someone from the show that Sheldon's shirt colors are related to the Green Lantern color system and reflect his emotional state of being in an episode.

The system is as follows (taken straight from a Green Lantern website):
Red: The color of rage
Orange: The color of avarice
Yellow: The color of fear
Green: The color of willpower
Blue: The color of hope
Indigo: The color of compassion
Violet: The color of love

I believe it's speculation our part, but it's our assumption that his top shirt is the more prominant emotion he's feeling, while his undershirt is a secondary emotion.

But for examples, in the ep where Amy kisses Sheldon (totally blanking on the name! eek.gif) he's wearing red because he's angry at uh...Leonard's girlfriend (man this brain of mine...)

In the episode with the bird, his t-shirt is yellow.

Etc etc etc.

• Like 3

What colour does he wear when he does Fun with Flags?

The recent one where he's mad at Amy?  He's wearing the black Minecraft shirt with I think a purple shirt underneath.

What about the other times? Wasn't he wearing a red one when Kripke was doing guess the Flag?

He wears all kinds of different shirts, I believe.  It would probably depend on what else may be going on in the scenes around the FWF segment.

He wears all kinds of different shirts, I believe.  It would probably depend on what else may be going on in the scenes around the FWF segment.

Seems more of the green though.

Yellow cos he got a scared of Amy after she insulted wil Wheaton and then got mad at Sheldon for not defending her behaviour

Actually he started off with wearing green and later on he wore a black shirt

The only thing with this t-shirt theory us, doesn't his emotions/mood change throughout the day? So does he change it a lot during the day? And would he change in the middle of a conversation if he went from fearful to hopeful? ;) Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

The only thing with this t-shirt theory us, doesn't his emotions/mood change throughout the day? So does he change it a lot during the day? And would he change in the middle of a conversation if he went from fearful to hopeful? ;) Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Well that depends on whether the working theory is Wastonian (in-universe) or Doylist (out-of-universe) in nature. Or in other words: Are we arguing here that Sheldon is picking out his own shirts according to his mood or are we arguing about the costume designers picking the shirts that fit the scene best? The latter viewpoint would probably be more applicable when compiling the data and drawing conclusions or else we end up arguing stuff like "but Sheldon couldn't possibly have knows he'd be angry later that day!" or some such things that don't really get us anywhere, imho.

• Like 2

Well that depends on whether the working theory is Wastonian (in-universe) or Doylist (out-of-universe) in nature. Or in other words: Are we arguing here that Sheldon is picking out his own shirts according to his mood or are we arguing about the costume designers picking the shirts that fit the scene best? The latter viewpoint would probably be more applicable when compiling the data and drawing conclusions or else we end up arguing stuff like "but Sheldon couldn't possibly have knows he'd be angry later that day!" or some such things that don't really get us anywhere, imho.

It's more likely to be the costume designers. But wouldn't it be fun if he did go and change his t-shirt in the middle of a conversation lol Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

After I heard about this earlier in the summer I kept it in mind as I rewatched the seies on bluray over the summer it dosent seem to hold up over the series as a whole, HOWEVER  it does seem to apply to important scenes more often than not so doylist I believe based on my research is likely true

Edited by JE7

I think it is the costume designers that chose his shirts on the basic emotions of the episode, I think I read it somewhere, but can't find the reference now...Moreover, really it would be really too hippie-dippie for Sheldon, in his own words, he's a physicist, not a hippie!! (even if I think the situation is changing nowadays!!)

EDIT: Anyway, the costume designers are very thoughtful with the outfit; for example Penny was wearing in the 100th episode the same top of Episode 1 (and it was underlined in some specials about the 100th episode). I wonder...what will Sheldon wear on the 200th episode (assuming it will be a turning point for HIM...)

Edited by mirs1

I think it is the costume designers that chose his shirts on the basic emotions of the episode, I think I read it somewhere, but can't find the reference now...Moreover, really it would be really too hippie-dippie for Sheldon, in his own words, he's a physicist, not a hippie!! (even if I think the situation is changing nowadays!!)

Right? The idea of Sheldon wearing his shirts like a mood ring is kinda hilarious because that's so not him. lmao

• Like 1