The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MJistheBOMB

Did Penny Plant A Seed In Leonard's head?

I was just thinking about back in early season 5 (was it?) when Leonard was thinking about cheating on Priya with Alice and Penny was basically telling Leonard to go for it, "...then sleep with Alice and lie to Priya..." or whatever she said.

Was anyone else bothered by that? Why the HELL would she suggest to a friend to cheat on their lover? Quite frankly, I feel that came back to bite her in the ass when Leonard kissed that girl on the ship.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about back in early season 5 (was it?) when Leonard was thinking about cheating on Priya with Alice and Penny was basically telling Leonard to go for it, "...then sleep with Alice and lie to Priya..." or whatever she said.

Was anyone else bothered by that? Why the HELL would she suggest to a friend to cheat on their lover? Quite frankly, I feel that came back to bite her in the ass when Leonard kissed that girl on the ship.

I'm sure tensor knows exactly but she never says that. she told him basically if she wanted Alice to break up with Priya. Leonard was looking for her to justify sleeping with Alice and not tell Priya. He wanted to be one of those guys who could. he originally had said he couldn't be one those guys and Penny said good.

This is the dialogue (I left out the first bit):

Leonard: Here’s the thing, I, I’m not one of those guys who sneaks around and sleeps with more than one woman.
Penny: Well, good for you.
Leonard: The problem is, I want to be one of those guys.
Penny: So sleep with the new girl and lie to Priya.
Leonard: Oh, that’s not who I am.
Penny: All right, then break it off with the new girl.
Leonard: Now, let’s not do anything rash. She’s really hot.
Penny: If you like this girl so much, why don’t you just end things with Priya?
Leonard: Priya and I are in love. I think we could get married someday.
Penny: Leonard, you’re looking for a way to sleep with both women and have everybody be happy about it.
Leonard: Now we’re getting somewhere.
Penny: What does your gut tell you?
Leonard: Go ask Penny; she’ll know what to do.

• Like 2

All Penny was doing in the whole conversation was telling him what to do, for whatever he stated.  

Want to be one of those guys?  Go sleep with the new girl, lie to Priya.  That's not who you are, then break it off with the new girl.  The key to the whole thing was Penny perceptive comment: "Leonard, you’re looking for a way to sleep with both women and have everybody be happy about it.", which is exactly what he wanted at that point. 

• Like 7

Agree with Tensor, when you watch that scene in context with the vision, she was not giving him a pass to cheat. Her tone and body language was saying that's not you.  To be honest, I think she was more interested in him having and excuse to end things with Priya.

That was my feeling.  I think in the back of her mind, she would have been happy to have him available again.  Not necessarily going getting back together with her, just that he was available. 

• Like 5

You asked "Did Penny plant a seed in Leonard's head". Well, Leonard kissed the girl on the boat because the writers decided him to do so. So, other than in real life, there is no need for a reason and, because the characters are written inconsistent, there is not always logic in their sequence of actions.

But did the writers intend a connection between Penny's statement and that kiss? I would think not, because I believe they don't reflect their characters actions this intensively.

Edited by Bavarian ShamyShipper Girl
  • Like 4

Agree with most comments above. She basically said "if you want to be a cheater, go sleep with Alice and lie to Priya".

<insert Emoticon of Penny rolling her eyes>

Left out the very significant bit at the start that is just as relevant to this topic

Leonard: Is it cheating if a guy has a girlfriend and........

Penny ( very quickly jumping in without hearing the scenario!): Yeah probably

Very similar to how quickly Penny jumped in when he revealed the kiss secret when he asked her if she'd ever done anything like that with her "nope. never". 

One thing Penny doesn't like is cheating. Her formers did it to her ( and before anyone refers to her sleeping with two brothers in high school, that was a one off the cuff joke, her pain from Kurt, Mike and Dave Underhill was sustained and visible) and she was really offended by Leonard's mistrust of her with guitarist on the couch and English student guy. 

Agree with Tensor, when you watch that scene in context with the vision, she was not giving him a pass to cheat. Her tone and body language was saying that's not you.  To be honest, I think she was more interested in him having and excuse to end things with Priya.

when you put it this way... it makes leonard cheating even more worse......

what is the difference between leonard and others.....nothing....everyone is a cheater......

I have no idea why the writers went this way.....may be because they wanted some "shock" cliffhanger......or may be this was their plan all along.......no one knows.....but it will leave a permanent stain on their relationship and especially leonard's character............he cannot be trusted at all from now on...............no way

Good points, everyone. Yeah, I was sort of distracted by that one line that I didn't see the true meaning of what she probably meant by that.

Hey MJ, in my mind it was a taunt. He wanted to do it and wanted permission; she was saying "yeah go ahead dummy, do what you want and then just see what happens. You're a grown man, bump uglies as you like, then deal with the consequences. Just don't ask me to bless your idiotic plans for gratification."

Maybe she's a libertarian. :)  

• Like 5