I just thought this would be a good place to discuss the sort of reviews you get, good or bad 

This was inspired by a review I got yesterday for a story I finished in May last year

Now I'm happy to receive good and bad with constructive criticism, what I do object to is someone who hate the story so much that their review is just full of cursing, I had plenty of those with "freak out combustion' so much so I was forced to set all guest reviews to filter

What's your experience in reviews?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have received overwhelmingly kind support, both for my first story The Chaos Cognizance, and for my second The Science of Love. A few negative reviews, but none I really took to heart. Except for on

I'm lucky to say that I haven't received really negative comments so far, but what I've noticed reading reviews to other stories is that normally negative comments are posted anonymously. That's reall

Thank you so much for saying the nice things about my story.    I wanted to add, I love your story too. I love different stories and yours is wonderful.  Low reviews are hitting morale, but I think th

The reviews I've gotten have all been positive, but I haven't written anything anyone would consider controversial, really.

Fortunately, I've never had any ugly or cursing reviews.

Now I did get some ugly comments on a couple of stories I wrote in the XF fandom, but I think those may have been partially motivated by dislike for me as a person, rather than anything having to do with the actual story.

• Like 2

I've been lucky to only have received a handful of negative reviews thus far. Most I've been able to laugh off like "have ya even read my story?", but there's one reviewer who is pretty well known in our fandom for spreading her particular wand of hate over everyone's stories that really made me question if I should continue writing at one point when I was first starting out. I was told that a review from this particular person is a "badge of honor" and not to let it get to me too much.

I will say that this fandom is incredibly supportive of its fanfiction authors overall. :) 

• Like 6

I have been lucky to receive overwhelmingly positive reviews for my stories, although I can be said to bring up controversial topics from time to time which often leads to an inbox full of pm's but most of the time my readers just want to discuss what they've read, not bash me. Although there is one particular reviewer who enjoys spreading negativity and I sense this is the same person who started up a negative discussion in the review field of my latest story....

• Like 1

Having just started writing FF, I have been fortunate enough to get positive reviews.   Sometimes a reviewer my not like a certain direction I've taken and will mention it, but I don't take it too hard.   It's no different than watching the show and having a particular scene that you don't care for.   It doesn't necessarily ruin the whole episode.

For instance, one reviewer raved on a bunch of positive, but highlighted one piece of dialogue he/she didn't care for, but followed it up by stating it was an opinion based on personal taste.     When I posted a double update of two chapters recently, the reviewer had some reservations about the first update but then was ecstatic to see how I addressed it in the second update and told me so.

I will take the feedback, and if a reader has issue and I find it justifiable, I try to find some way to correct or justify it in the subsequent chapter.  However, once the story is complete, all I can do is send a PM and explain why I took the direction I did.

My favorite reviews are the ones that are detailed over the one-liners, but I will take what I can get.

I have found that if I have written a chapter that is going to bring the reader down for a bit (such as the Shamy breakup), it is best to post the following chapter immediately to bring the reader back up and give hope.   In these cases, I prefer to do a double update rather than one chapter at a time.

At first I was nervous about spoilers being left in the reviews section, but I think sometimes the spoilers written by others are what entice readers to check into a story, as it provides a sneak peak of the contents and arouses interest.

No negative reviews, yet, but when I finally post the chapter of first Shamy's detailed sex-scene I expect I may get some because some may not like my interpretation of the event.   Trust me, mine is 180 degrees from what most have written.    I don't envision Sheldon to be incompetent in this area, to Amy's surprise.   The reasons will be explained leading up to, during, and after the coitus, but I expect what may seem IC for me may appear totally OOC for others.    It makes me extremely nervous to publish.

• Like 5

I'm ok with constructive criticism also.   I don't mind people disagreeing with what I wrote, and having a respectful discussion about it.  BUT, what I don't like is a reviewer consistently reviewing each chapter and spewing hate because they do not like a certain character and are so worked up about it that anything this character does enrages them (Good or Bad).  Honestly, it gets tiring to read after a while, and initially blows the wind out of my sails a bit.   I used to cringe when I got notification that I got a review from this poster.  They are due their own opinion, but man alive, if you hate a character that much, why are you reading fanfics with that character in it all the time.

What really irks me is when this poster attacks relatively new writers.  I've actually had 5 separate conversations with new writers that were so upset by this posters reviews.  After I tell them, that this person has a long history of doing this, and not to take it personally, they are usually ok with it, but yeah the amount of hate and rage in this reviewers posts are off-putting.

So....constructive reviews, great.  Hate induced rants towards a character....not a fan.

I also love detailed reviews, but will take them all!  Lol!

• Like 4

I'm lucky to say that I haven't received really negative comments so far, but what I've noticed reading reviews to other stories is that normally negative comments are posted anonymously. That's really cowardly of the reviewer and frustrating for the writer, because you have no way of adressing them or get into a discussion (which I like about reviews, you can meet a lot of nice people), so I guess that's the point of it, they don't want to discuss, they're just haters who gonna hate hate hate;-) I usually say what I liked and, if it's the case, also what not, but I always try to explain that. So I try to say what I mean and mean what I say and don't say it mean:-)

• Like 8

I don't mind negative reviews, as long as they give constructive criticism and/or they use their username.  

As I've said elsewhere, I don't tolerate anonymous hate induces rants (thanks for that phrase nibbler).  I have it set for me to review the guest reviews and if all they are contributing is anonymous hate induce rants, they get deleted.  If they deliver a hate induced rant, and have the guts to put there username on it, I'll leave it.  

• Like 4

Well, I didn't get a lot of reviews on my stories, except for Girls' Night Intervention but I don't mind so much. Mostly the reviews have been positive and encouraging. No cursing because I have the  Filter Profanity turned to yes. 

Of course, I think my writing days are done. It was a unique experience. 

• Like 2

Some people just don't give reviews, it seems.  I have several followers and ones who have favored me who have never left a review.   I don't know if it is because they don't like giving reviews, having nothing good to say, of it they are waiting for the story to be completed before offering the review.

I consider it a compliment when someone chooses to follow or favorite me.

For me, I'm so consumed by writing my own FF right now, that I haven't had time to really read others and review, but I do use the Follow/Favorite option as a way to let the author know that I like reading their stories or because they have been recommended as writers who I would enjoy.  I do tend to read the reviews first, because I like spoilers and want to know a little bit what of what I'm getting into before reading.  Perhaps something I wouldn't normally read, like Amy kissing Kripke, suddenly becomes intriguing because other Shamy shippers enjoyed it.  So, I give it a try.

I also don't necessarily want my writing to be influenced by someone else's style, idea, etc.   There are several ways to write the same thing, and I get that, but I don't ever want to come across as plagerizing.   Therefore, I tend to avoid reading other FF so I can honestly state that my ideas are truly my own, even though the inspiration may have come from another story I read that perhaps I could build on or something.   Nonetheless, the benefit to reading others FF is that it has taught me how to write certain things better, especially on the geeky side of things.

When I give a review, I focus on the positive and will only criticize if I feel it will be helpful and won't embarrass the author like if the story is choppy and needs some touching up or something.   Usually, I do it via PM, and not on the public review.    If a story is rubbing me the wrong way, I just stop reading.   The author has a right to their own interpretation whether I agree or not, and I don't see a reason to criticize that.

Like I said, I haven't gotten any negatives, yet, but it will be interesting to see how I handle it when I do.

• Like 5

I also don't get many reviews in my stories, but that's ok. I know that my work has lots of flaws and I don't get to update often, so I can imagine lots of people lose their interest in following them. But anyway, I do love the reviews I receive, and I usually read them all before posting a new chapter. I never received bad negative reviews, just constructive ones, which makes me really happy because the reviewer found it worth enough to leave a comment saying what could have been better. I really don't mind receiving simple or anonymous reviews, every feedback is nice.

• Like 5

I have received overwhelmingly kind support, both for my first story The Chaos Cognizance, and for my second The Science of Love. A few negative reviews, but none I really took to heart. Except for one, for Chaos. This reader (guest, of course. Expected) called me an egomaniac. The person said I have no right to leave an author's note telling readers to 'have tissues ready' or, 'this is emotional', because I am 'telling' them what to feel. They said a pretty good amount of nasty things about me. Nothing about my style of writing, or the story itself. In fact, they had gotten all the way to Chapter 41, which is just 2 chapters shy of the end, and loved the story. But hated me. Or something to that effect. I was stunned. Really. Listen...The Chaos Cognizance was my first 'published' fanfic. I had spent a year writing it off the bat, and another 7 months writing/posting it. It was highly emotional TO ME. The process, the storyline, and the wonderful feedback that I received. Many chapters I wrote, especially the harder ones, i.e Amy sick, their breakup, made me cry because I delved into personal feelings. I only warned the readers that it may touch them. I didn't mean to come off as 'Oh, my story is so awesome that you're going to cry'. In fact, that was one of the things they accused me of. I get many reviews that tell me the chapters touched them, they cried, etc. I also get PM's saying oh, god I can't take the angst. Promise me it will be okay. By prewarning have a tissue, I was just letting them know what to expect. What bothers me most, was this reviewer may have been someone I chatted with all along, wrote reviews without being on guest, and knew me. All of a sudden, I'm some 'egomaniac'. My husband was livid. He said you put your heart and soul into that story for yourself and the readers who love Shamy, just to have some rude person slay you. You don't get paid for that hard work you put in. None of us do. We all do it for the same reason. Honestly, I NEVER, Ever have left a negative review, or a scathing guest review. If I REALLY have a problem with the writer, I would maybe PM them. NEVER put a hateful remark up where someone can see. Of course,my husband said anyone who does that to you or another writer is JEALOUS. Period. I answer 100% of my reviews. I would answer the negative guest reviews if I could, simply to tell my side. But they don't offer you that right. They tear you down, but you can't defend yourself. Childish. It hurts, sure. But I have made some beautiful friends here, I've poured out my ever loving Shamy heart for other Shippers to share, and I love what I've written because it came from the heart. In the grand scheme of things, 1 hateful review out of 1,300 for that story means nothing. So...keep your heads up, fellow writers. You deserve applause for keeping this fandom alive. Thank you!

• Like 8

Yeah, 99% of my reviews are positive and encouraging.  I've received the nasty review from the negative poster that I think everyone is hinting at on all my Shamy stories.  She tore my fellow writing friend pretty good a while so I got a little pissy in the intro to one of my chapters (Michigan Wolverines don't take shit from cowards).  In a twisted way it is a badge of honor, but I see it as if that person has nothing constructive to say, then we should pity them more because they must be really jealous that our stuff is good and theirs sucks.

I know the stuff going on in the show is testing our spirits, but I feel we writers have a job to do and that is to keep everyone's spirits up and focused on the main goal and that is Shamy together.  We need to keep writing the fanfiction to keep the love alive.  Just because the pencil dick BBT writers can't write squat doesn't mean we let our forum down.  It's not going to be permanent, folks.  If they stretch it beyond a few more episodes, ratings and advertisement dollars will drop off.  Producers aren't that stupid.

Remember writers, shitty reviews are usually from shitty people.

• Like 3

Yeah, 99% of my reviews are positive and encouraging.  I've received the nasty review from the negative poster that I think everyone is hinting at on all my Shamy stories.  She tore my fellow writing friend pretty good a while so I got a little pissy in the intro to one of my chapters (Michigan Wolverines don't take shit from cowards).  In a twisted way it is a badge of honor, but I see it as if that person has nothing constructive to say, then we should pity them more because they must be really jealous that our stuff is good and theirs sucks.

I know the stuff going on in the show is testing our spirits, but I feel we writers have a job to do and that is to keep everyone's spirits up and focused on the main goal and that is Shamy together.  We need to keep writing the fanfiction to keep the love alive.  Just because the pencil dick BBT writers can't write squat doesn't mean we let our forum down.  It's not going to be permanent, folks.  If they stretch it beyond a few more episodes, ratings and advertisement dollars will drop off.  Producers aren't that stupid.

Remember writers, shitty reviews are usually from shitty people.

So true. I couldn't agree with you more. I never claimed to be a world class author. I am blessed by the fact I can string a sentence together, and that a few people are touched by my words. That doesn't make me an egomaniac. I think now, more than ever, Shamy fans should stick together. I'm not saying everyone has to love or even like my storylines. This A/U I'm writing now is very different than canon. Many elements are the same, but many are not. I wasn't expecting fans to jump up and down in happiness, but to be honest, most people enjoy the A/U aspect. I think right now, we are all a bit tired of canon and the snails pace. I have a love/hate relationship with it; I know Shamy has to go slow, due to their nature's. But all of this negativity is draining. I get so happy when readers review and say my story is helping them get through these dark times. That means a lot to me, as it would for any writer. I subscribe to the old adage that if you don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself. I would never go out of my way to slam a writer who took the time to write something from their heart. That is not only cruel, but childish.

• Like 3

Darcy, you can answer it.  Just post a review of your own, with an @towhoever(it's also a good way to get a note to one of the reviewers, but you can only make one post per chapter).  But I wouldn't bother.  

• Like 1

Darcy, you can answer it.  Just post a review of your own, with an @towhoever(it's also a good way to get a note to one of the reviewers, but you can only make one post per chapter).  But I wouldn't bother.  

Good to know, but as you say...I wouldn't bother. If someone had a legitamate criticism about my writing, I would understand. It was a personal attack on my character. A person they've never met. A person who cares about other's feelings, and wouldn't stoop to that level of hurt. So as you say, no worries. :)

Personal attacks on authors just show the character of the person writing the review.  My guess, someone who is immature, but that is a given.  

The thing for me is fan Fic is supposed to be fun, not some literary contest.  I know for myself, I have a plot in my head, and I want to hash it out.  Having the character's ready made for us is wonderful, and then we can play with the plot, scene, setting.  Reviews are supposed to tell us if we are on the right track, or just bat crap crazy. I leave my bad reviews up, and have never removed one, including some doozies for Schrodinger and Intimacy...Most of my bad reviews have been the best ones.  They commented on my writing, which helped me.  They have given me good ideas how to improve, and I applaud the reviewers for it.  

I think low reviews hurt an author more than bad ones.  It kills the confidence and in the end, writing Fan Fic is still supposed to be fun.  When that stops being the case, through useless lame reviews, or worse in my opinion, no reviews, then the joy leaves.  

I review everything I read, so the author knows I have seen their work, but also for myself.  Writing about other writers helps me become a better one.  Lately, I have taken time off of reading. I like to keep my head clear, and I have had terrible writers block since this breakup.  So my reviews are down. 

I have quite a few bad reviews, and a lot have to do with my grammar, and such, which I know I need work.  I used the critiques to become better, but those reviewers never came back and said I have improved.  It's  the internet, so there will always be trolls, but what really sets me off is those who criticize without leaving a review.  It's like bitching about the political system without voting, IMO you lost your right to bitch if you can't even be bothered to leave a review for the author for a story you have read.  It's lazy and cowardly, in my opinion.  So given that, I would rather have all the bad reviews I can stand rather than never know what people really think of my work.  So bring it on.   

• Like 4

Yeah with "freak out combustion' a lot of the hate from the guest reviews was because it wasn't shamy love story, so I guess that was what they wanted

Plus I did go a little over-the-top with the Sheldon crazy but that doesn't justify sending cursing hating guest reviews!

• Like 2

Yeah with "freak out combustion' a lot of the hate from the guest reviews was because it wasn't shamy love story, so I guess that was what they wanted

Plus I did go a little over-the-top with the Sheldon crazy but that doesn't justify sending cursing hating guest reviews!

I agree, Rachel.   Profanity and hate certainly are unwarranted.   It one doesn't like a story, it's best to not leave a review at all and just move on.

• Like 3

I just received a review and a PM where I was asked not to end my latest story, and the reader gave me a suggestion for a missing chapter.   Does that ever happen to anyone else?

Needless to say, I ended my story tonight, but now I've opened it up again for another chapter because I liked the reader's idea.  I assume it would be in good taste to give the reviewer credit in my A/N for the suggestion?

• Like 1

I just received a review and a PM where I was asked not to end my latest story, and the reader gave me a suggestion for a missing chapter.   Does that ever happen to anyone else?

Needless to say, I ended my story tonight, but now I've opened it up again for another chapter because I liked the reader's idea.  I assume it would be in good taste to give the reviewer credit in my A/N for the suggestion?

yes always give credit, it's nice when that happens :)

• Like 1

If you choose this route, do give credit. I write for Bones, too and several months after I posted the final chapter of a story, made it complete, etc, I had a couple actually send PMs wanting to know when the final chapter was coming. It is flattering but only do the chapter if it works for you. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by mphs95
  • Like 2

When I first started writing FF earlier this year, I used to be concerned by the seeming lack of reviews I received. It made me wonder whether or not what I was writing was being well received, or frankly, if it was any good at all.

I was reminded by another author here what I will share with all writers, because I think it is so important. You write for yourself first. Write what inspires you, write what pleases you, write what sets your soul on fire. If you feel it enough to write it, then it is not only good enough, but important enough, to add to the world. 

I have been blessed to not have received a truly negative review yet, but the day will likely come. If the reviewer's intent is to provide an alternative theory or suggestion, then that is well and good. If it is to malign, then that is a statement of their own character, not mine. I read a negative review of a friend's work once, and frankly, I went off. I was incredibly pissed that anyone could be so hateful and spew such venom. I think if you want to discuss my story and heartily disagree, then send me a PM. But my friend? Her reaction was everyone had a right to their thoughts, even if she didn't agree with them.

I learned a great deal that day, and turned off my filter on my account. If anyone uses language I wouldn't want my child using, I'll delete their comment. Otherwise, while I still think negative comments say more about the reviewer than the work they are reviewing, I will leave the comment up -- as others have said, it is a badge of honor.

• Like 4