I just received a review and a PM where I was asked not to end my latest story, and the reader gave me a suggestion for a missing chapter.   Does that ever happen to anyone else?

Needless to say, I ended my story tonight, but now I've opened it up again for another chapter because I liked the reader's idea.  I assume it would be in good taste to give the reviewer credit in my A/N for the suggestion?

I've had reviews, asking for more chapters, which, in most (but not all) cases, leads to a one-shot becoming a multi-chapter.

There was, however, one particular story, I was adamant would remain a one-shot, even though it ended on a bit of a downer.

Well, you can't have sweetness and joy in every story, can you?

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 2

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have received overwhelmingly kind support, both for my first story The Chaos Cognizance, and for my second The Science of Love. A few negative reviews, but none I really took to heart. Except for on

I'm lucky to say that I haven't received really negative comments so far, but what I've noticed reading reviews to other stories is that normally negative comments are posted anonymously. That's reall

Thank you so much for saying the nice things about my story.    I wanted to add, I love your story too. I love different stories and yours is wonderful.  Low reviews are hitting morale, but I think th

If you choose this route, do give credit. I write for Bones, too and several months after I posted the final chapter of a story, made it complete, etc, I had a couple actually send PMs wanting to know when the final chapter was coming. It is flattering but only do the chapter if it works for you. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I love bones! -Getting back to the topic... I was not expecting positive reviews at all for so many reasons I pointed out. Its either everyone is really nice to a newbie, or I just got lucky. :-)

I just wrote my first Big Bang Fan Fic (not my first story ever) and posted the first chapter yesterday.  I don't usually get real bad reviews...some question...but most leave thought provoking remarks.  The one I got from a guest yesterday called the story (or me) pathetic, creepy and ridiculous and then accused me of being a *curse word* Shenny. 

Now how in the world is that constructive and will help me make a better story.  And there was not one single bit of "Shenny" in the story so how could anyone infer that.  I think the icing on the cake was that they didn't have the guts to write the review with a name.  I will continue my story because I do have an end game and I think it will appeal to every "canon" ship...

• Like 3

My reviews have been so down for my latest story.  I have half the reviews I used to get for my other stories.  The problem is, I have about the same amount of Views.  So I am left to think that its the story driving the lack of reviews and not the disillusionment in the ship of Shamy right now.  I will never know.  This is the burden of reviews.  I really want to improve as a writer, and I know I have a long way to go.  With Bad reviews like Kasey mentioned above or no reviews we will never know what it is that we need to do to improve.  I wish I knew if its my story.  Maybe it's too slow, or too long or not Canon enough, or what. I will never know. I would rather have bad reviews that tell me than none.  However, unconstructive reviews are hard and it one in the morale department.  My morale is low enough as it is.  

• Like 4

I started to read Six Sheldon's, but, every time I started a new chapter, I had to go back and re-read half of the previous chapter.

So, I've decided to set aside a couple of days (maybe next time I'm on holiday), to read it all in one go.

I know a lot of people who save up Fan Fics because of this.  They like to just read a whole story all the way through, and not have to wait for updates.  i have a twice a week schedule for updates that seems to be working well. I've been told, that gives the readers time to review.  I know that if you post a bunch of chapters at once, the readers will just review one chapter.  This is okay, because at least it is a review, but I like to hear what they think after each chapter. I like to hear what they think of the plot. 

• Like 1

I'm usually OK with reading and reviewing, one chapter at time, but that story is so complicated, I lose track of which Sheldon is which.

I know what you mean about three chapters and one review.

That happened when I posted the first three chapters of Affairs Of The Heart, all in one go.

As for updating schedules, I don't have one. I can only write when I'm in the mood, which is why I tend to have several stories (of different styles) running concurrently, in order that, hopefully, I'll be in the mood to write for one of them.

That said, I've not been in much of a mood to write lately, which I blame, at least partly, on the Shamy breakup.

My reviews have been so down for my latest story.  I have half the reviews I used to get for my other stories.  The problem is, I have about the same amount of Views.  So I am left to think that its the story driving the lack of reviews and not the disillusionment in the ship of Shamy right now.  I will never know.  This is the burden of reviews.  I really want to improve as a writer, and I know I have a long way to go.  With Bad reviews like Kasey mentioned above or no reviews we will never know what it is that we need to do to improve.  I wish I knew if its my story.  Maybe it's too slow, or too long or not Canon enough, or what. I will never know. I would rather have bad reviews that tell me than none.  However, unconstructive reviews are hard and it one in the morale department.  My morale is low enough as it is.  

Well, reviews can be a puzzling thing for sure.  I've read some excellent stories, that weren't reviewed a lot, and others that are.  You know, I think some readers don't think that the author much cares about the reviews, and are posting their story to tell.  But the truth is, feedback is always nice and welcome.  I find it excites me, and gets me writing quicker and keeps the passion alive.

I'll just say, that I think your latest story is excellent.  I'm enjoying the ride. It takes time to develop characters with depth.  It can't all just be fights and sex.  So I 'm enjoying learning why this Sheldon and this Amy are the way they are for a reason, and how they are slowly coming together.  It's an excellent story, and I think you have written it really well.

• Like 4

I do get frustrated with the lessening of the reviews, but I think it's par for the course, especially with long stories.  I've also chalked mine up to the fact I've slowed down my output  to one or two chapters a month and the fact I've taken a couple weeks off from writing to recharge and build up my reserves of Shamy love with the blast of my Shamy music.  I would prefer less reviews with quality statements than more with the requisite, "Awesome", "Cool", etc.

• Like 3

I just wrote my first Big Bang Fan Fic (not my first story ever) and posted the first chapter yesterday.  I don't usually get real bad reviews...some question...but most leave thought provoking remarks.  The one I got from a guest yesterday called the story (or me) pathetic, creepy and ridiculous and then accused me of being a *curse word* Shenny. 

Now how in the world is that constructive and will help me make a better story.  And there was not one single bit of "Shenny" in the story so how could anyone infer that.  I think the icing on the cake was that they didn't have the guts to write the review with a name.  I will continue my story because I do have an end game and I think it will appeal to every "canon" ship...

Kasey--Not to belittle your derogatory comment (because I am sorry you had to experience such a thing) but that level of vitriol is what I've been seeing on Shenny fics for a while, and has really picked up in recent months. Except for one chap, the rest of the comments are anonymous, use an extraordinary amount of expletives, and have even gone so far as to ask writer(s) to kill themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the level of nastiness you got was precisely because the reviewer thought you were writing a Shenny. Not that I'm going to give a 'see the crap the Shennys have to put up with?' speech, but it is really disturbing the level some Canon people go to belittle others who do not share their point of view (I only say that these anonymous reviewers are Canon because they always seem to uphold/reinforce Canon pov). It's been said by both Shennys and Shamys alike that if one doesn't like the other, don't read their stuff. Easy peasy. However, sometimes we do read each others' works and sometimes we might not like what we've written. That's okay and I have no problems with a review being left that might express displeasure with plot, etc. BUT, it's obvious that the anonymous reviewers are reading Shennys for the sole purpose of personally attacking the authors. 

To the Canon writers--as it's been a dog's age since I've read anything Shamy (I only read things that are Sheldon-centric hence no Lenny) I'm not up to speed on the state of your reviews. Have you had uber nasty reviews that deal less with your actual story than they personally attack you? If so, has this been a fairly recent phenomenon? It's just to gauge whether the anonymous vicious troll(s) are spreading their 'love' across the fandom.  Saying your story sucks is one thing. Saying you should kill yourself is another matter altogether. 

• Like 2

But the truth is, feedback is always nice and welcome.

It is, very much so.

Even if it's not complimentary, (provided it's positive criticism), it helps you to adjust/improve your writing, to make it closer to what the readers enjoy.

It can't all just be fights and sex.

Of course not,

There's also comic books, Star Wars/Trek, computer games and D&D.

That said, IME, you won't go far wrong, with hot and dirty sex. :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 1

I have noticed a dramatic drop in reviews as well. I have TONS of guest and anonymous reviews, but my 'regular' readers aren't there. It also leads me to wonder if my current A/U story isn't their taste. As much as I want to make canon readers happy, I really need this break. My saving grace, is although my Shamy is OOC in many ways, they are having a grand love story that will end happily for them. And, to be honest, I am working my butt off on this story, in the midst of going through illness. As much as I appreciate 'constructive' reviews, mean reviews are not welcome. There is enough low morale, as you say, going around. It's not easy churning out ten thosand word chapters during all of this grief, to be told I put a semi colon in the wrong place. Your story, Hazelra, is fantastic, and consistant with your talent. Readers are just sad right now, as we all are. I hope once this tide turns, we all will get back to normal. Like I told another writer, we can't start second guessing ourselves now, just because the writers of the actual show are pulling us through this sad time. The few  fanfic writer's who are writing Shamy in ANY positive capacity, be it A/U or canon, need to keep their head up. I feel like we're trying desperately to keep the fandom afloat with positive energy. I am really enjoying portraying my Sheldon and my Amy in a new light. It's sexy, and edgy, and perfectly acceptable. I hope that once Shamy reconciles, their relationship deepens as well. It needs to grow, in light of all of this trial by fire. Otherwise, what the hell has all this stress been for, anyway?

• Like 4

The thing that really does annoy me, is when you get lots of people following and/or favoriting, but not reviewing.

Are they saying the story is good/great enough to follow/favorite, but not good enough to comment on huh.gif 

Is a simple "Enjoying this", "This is good", etc., really too much to ask?

• Like 2

The thing that really does annoy me, is when you get lots of people following and/or favoriting, but not reviewing.

Are they saying the story is good/great enough to follow/favorite, but not good enough to comment on huh.gif 

Is a simple "Enjoying this", "This 

I don't know what other's motivations are, but I'll explain mine. Between work, my own writing, and life, sometimes I come across an amazing story that I know I want to read. I favorite/follow it so I will keep receiving alerts until I'm ready to read. I've forgetten the names of too many stories otherwise. I understand the angst, though, when you check your story stats and you see a hundred views along with those favorites/follows, but not a review. I don't get it. Many people PM me to confide they don't know what to say in reviews. They feel bad that they enjoyed the chapter, but can't articulate a response. I honestly understand. To that, I would simply say, that I would write a simple 'Thank you for the great chapter'. But even then, i hate to review so generically unless I have time to honor the writer with their due. Also, perhaps people just come here to escape, and don't want to get too 'involved' with the writer, or feel obligated to review. As a writer who works very hard for the readers, I would like SOME response. Good or bad. But if they don't, I won't let it get me down. Hopefully, I've made them smile anyway.

• Like 6

Kasey--Not to belittle your derogatory comment (because I am sorry you had to experience such a thing) but that level of vitriol is what I've been seeing on Shenny fics for a while, and has really picked up in recent months. Except for one chap, the rest of the comments are anonymous, use an extraordinary amount of expletives, and have even gone so far as to ask writer(s) to kill themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the level of nastiness you got was precisely because the reviewer thought you were writing a Shenny.  

I am really sorry that people have to be that way towards Shenny fics.  I have been in other fandoms and I totally get if one is not a fan of the "it" or "canon" ship.  Back in CSI's heyday there was so much negativity between GSR and Grillows(Grissom and Sara or Grissom and Catherine)that you would have thought world peace depended on whom slept with whom. 

I have read fanfics of ships I don't support but I would never think to leave a comment that insulted a writer.  I just don't understand why people would think they can act anyway they want because their anonymous.  I may be uber sensitive and I know that but there are negative reviews and there is vitriol like you said.  The former I can handle, the latter no one should have to. 

It takes a lot to publish work that you write for others to critique especially for those of us who are by no means professional writers.  I think readers should at least be cognizant of that...

• Like 5

I am really sorry that people have to be that way towards Shenny fics.  I have been in other fandoms and I totally get if one is not a fan of the "it" or "canon" ship.  Back in CSI's heyday there was so much negativity between GSR and Grillows(Grissom and Sara or Grissom and Catherine)that you would have thought world peace depended on whom slept with whom. 

I have read fanfics of ships I don't support but I would never think to leave a comment that insulted a writer.  I just don't understand why people would think they can act anyway they want because their anonymous.  I may be uber sensitive and I know that but there are negative reviews and there is vitriol like you said.  The former I can handle, the latter no one should have to. 

It takes a lot to publish work that you write for others to critique especially for those of us who are by no means professional writers.  I think readers should at least be cognizant of that...

Ah, but you must remember that people take their First Amendment rights sooo far. Speaking their mind, no matter whom they hurt, because they can. I NEVER do that. I don't care what the fic is about; Shamy, Shenny, etc. If I don't like the ship, I don't read it. I am a total Shamy Shipper. But do I hate the Shenny friendship? Not at all. Would I ever insult someone or threaten them? No. Because I'm a sane person. You must remember that people who behave that way have an axe to grind. Ignore them.

• Like 5

But even then, I hate to review so generically

Generic is better than nothing.

I understand what you say, about using "following" as a place card, but shouldn't "favoriting" be done, after you've decided you like the story?

BTW. The one that really isn't on, is when the first reviewer spoilers the chapter. smileys-angry-059462.gif 

• Like 4

Generic is better than nothing.

I understand what you say, about using "following" as a place card, but shouldn't "favoriting" be done, after you've decided you like the story?

Yes, I guess you're right. I think sometimes I hit favorite just so if the writer continues another story, I will be alerted to that, too. I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have something like 8,000 views for my new story. But nowhere near the reviews. People ARE looking at it, in some way.

I have noticed a dramatic drop in reviews as well. I have TONS of guest and anonymous reviews, but my 'regular' readers aren't there. It also leads me to wonder if my current A/U story isn't their taste. As much as I want to make canon readers happy, I really need this break. My saving grace, is although my Shamy is OOC in many ways, they are having a grand love story that will end happily for them. And, to be honest, I am working my butt off on this story, in the midst of going through illness. As much as I appreciate 'constructive' reviews, mean reviews are not welcome. There is enough low morale, as you say, going around. It's not easy churning out ten thosand word chapters during all of this grief, to be told I put a semi colon in the wrong place. Your story, Hazelra, is fantastic, and consistant with your talent. Readers are just sad right now, as we all are. I hope once this tide turns, we all will get back to normal. Like I told another writer, we can't start second guessing ourselves now, just because the writers of the actual show are pulling us through this sad time. The few  fanfic writer's who are writing Shamy in ANY positive capacity, be it A/U or canon, need to keep their head up. I feel like we're trying desperately to keep the fandom afloat with positive energy. I am really enjoying portraying my Sheldon and my Amy in a new light. It's sexy, and edgy, and perfectly acceptable. I hope that once Shamy reconciles, their relationship deepens as well. It needs to grow, in light of all of this trial by fire. Otherwise, what the hell has all this stress been for, anyway?

I know how you feel.  I'm taking a couple week breather from writing because I'm feeling burnout (Hazelra knows what I'm talking about.).  I've spent the last week in between beta reading stories for writers binge watching MASH and Bones along with work and taking Abbey Road to the vet.  I write for my readers but I do also write for me, hence the multiple shows I write for.  That has been my saving grace.  I think I'll work on JA this weekend and I'm still positive about Shamy, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch yet this season, much less write for them.

I'm sorry you're getting idiots who feel the need to lecture on the use of a colon.  Yes, writers should use a beta to catch the little stuff and stuff like that does annoy the shit out of me, but if I like the story enough, I don't pay much attention to the little errors.  For me, if you strongly feel someone needs grammatical help, instead of calling them out in the review, why don't they PM the author and offer to beta or suggest someone who could help in a TACTFUL way?

Darcy, I think people are sad and burned out at the moment, nothing personal against you.  I've noticed an uptick in my story views, but not in the reviews.  We'll get each other through this and I have faith that the Shamy will be stronger and our stories will kick ass more.

When all else, fails, make a Shamy mix from Amazon Prime, Google Play, or whatever and listen.  It does help.  Trust me.

Ah, but you must remember that people take their First Amendment rights sooo far. Speaking their mind, no matter whom they hurt, because they can. I NEVER do that. I don't care what the fic is about; Shamy, Shenny, etc. If I don't like the ship, I don't read it. I am a total Shamy Shipper. But do I hate the Shenny friendship? Not at all. Would I ever insult someone or threaten them? No. Because I'm a sane person. You must remember that people who behave that way have an axe to grind. Ignore them.

Whenever a writer friend of mine gets a shitty review, I give him/her the Coach Michelle Peptalk.  I had to give a variation to a couple other writing friends last week and it helped me, too.  I really hate anonymous assholes.

Can't you follow/favorite the author instead?

That's what I do.  That way, if I don't have time to read the story now, I can access it anytime when I'm free and I know the progress.

• Like 4

Kasey--Not to belittle your derogatory comment (because I am sorry you had to experience such a thing) but that level of vitriol is what I've been seeing on Shenny fics for a while, and has really picked up in recent months. Except for one chap, the rest of the comments are anonymous, use an extraordinary amount of expletives, and have even gone so far as to ask writer(s) to kill themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the level of nastiness you got was precisely because the reviewer thought you were writing a Shenny. Not that I'm going to give a 'see the crap the Shennys have to put up with?' speech, but it is really disturbing the level some Canon people go to belittle others who do not share their point of view (I only say that these anonymous reviewers are Canon because they always seem to uphold/reinforce Canon pov). It's been said by both Shennys and Shamys alike that if one doesn't like the other, don't read their stuff. Easy peasy. However, sometimes we do read each others' works and sometimes we might not like what we've written. That's okay and I have no problems with a review being left that might express displeasure with plot, etc. BUT, it's obvious that the anonymous reviewers are reading Shennys for the sole purpose of personally attacking the authors. 

Agree with everything you wrote.  This is a terribly disturbing trend I'm seeing lately.  I had a reader PM me about this before.  They told me that they had a friend that used to publish on here, and then got attacked by reviewer trolls that told her to please go kill herself.  Now this author had recently struggled with issues of feeling suicidal and was using writing as therapy, so this was hugely upsetting to her.  In the end, she closed her FF account and stopped writing, as she was not in the state of mind to deal with such horrible people.

People should be able to write what they want, free from personal abuse.  This type of cruelty is disgusting, and I can only hope that karma whacks them one day.

• Like 5